It's Not Proportion, It's Perspective | Teen Ink

It's Not Proportion, It's Perspective

By The21stScribe BRONZE, Richmond, Texas
The21stScribe BRONZE, Richmond, Texas

The truth is always right
Being right isn't always truthful
Being right can be a mere opinion
Truth however is always fact

By: Stephen Etuokwu

Before we compare proportion and perspective, let's first define the two terms first: 

Proportion- the relation of one part to another or to the whole with respect to magnitude, quantity, or degree. Or to adjust a part of a thing in size relative to other parts or things.  

Perspective- the aspect in which a subject or its parts are mentally viewed (a view on things in their true relationship or relative importance  

Proportion and Perspective. It's true that you can set a situation in proportion to ___ or set a situation into perspective. These phrases sound similar which leads people to assume that they are, and are interchangeable. However contrary to popular belief they can actually be quite the opposite.

The focus of proportion is mathematically based on the function that an object and/or a situation is being compared to another object/situation so the outcome can be equal. If both situations are the same (or close) to the same, then the problem has been proven equal and true. Setting things into proportion is balancing out both sides so that they reach a similar/identical/equal standpoint. For example, if I have 7 apples and Alex has 11 apples, the situation can be set into proportion by taking 2 of Alex's apples and giving them to me. This fixes the imbalance of Alex having more apples than I do, thus "solving" the problem. Now I have 9 apples, and Alex has 9 apples. However, by solving this scenario proportionally, this leads us to the glaring flaw with setting things into proportion.  

Proportion has a general, non-characterized overview of the given situation (like limited 3rd person view or 1st person view). This view has its advantages and disadvantages. One advantage is that you don't need to take into consideration how the outcome will further affect this situation. Additionally, you don't need to understand where both parties/sides are coming from. However, the disadvantage is that since you don't know how your decision will affect either side, your decision can be equal to both sides but not fair to one.  

While the focus of proportion is to make the situation equal to each other, perspective is to see the situation from as many points as possible to make it fair. Since perspective makes you look at more than one angle, it's usually harder and takes longer to solve the situation. This makes proportion an easier choice since no feelings, opinions, evidence, or facts need to be presented. However, we need to understand that not all equality is fair.

Let's rediscuss the topic of apples.

By taking away 2 of Alex's and giving them to me so we can both have 9 apples, the situation has reached equilibrium, and all is fair and just, right? Now, let's put this into perspective and say Alex is a farmer who just harvested 11 apples while I just came from the market after buying 7 apples. Solving this proportionally means that I basically "took" 2 apples that Alex worked hard for while I had the leisure of just buying the apples plus 2 more since I need to have the same as him. Now we have an equal number of apples, but it's not fair to Alex since he took time to grow apples while I simply spent money for them.  

In conclusion, you would've never understood that Alex was a farmer whose revenue was affected due to a recent cold snap if you solved the situation proportionally. With me taking those 2 apples, he’ll just fall about short of his monthly quota and lose out on a government paycheck. Setting things into proportion is like slapping a band-aid on a gash. It only solves part of the problem (if any) and is more an overgeneralization tactic than an actual fix. Even though putting things in proportion is easier than putting things into perspective, proportion is always equal, but not always fair while perspective won't judge on equality, but rather fairness. It's extra work when examining a situation, but it's well worth seeing everyone's viewpoint in the situation through perspective vs. proportion. 

Proportion snd Perspective

At first, they seem like the same things but...

They couldn't be any more different