A New Perspective | Teen Ink

A New Perspective

May 12, 2009
By dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
dirinity SILVER, Clayton, North Carolina
9 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Certain things catch your eye,
But pursue only those
that capture your heart.
"


I have to ask this. I can’t hold back my streaming thoughts.
Why is it that my religion is any less than yours? I have to be respectful and recognize yours as “truth” when truth in it of itself can’t truly be applied to a proof-less subject?
You sit there wondering how can I not believe. Say I consort some temptation, the devil and that I am doomed to hell. Never mind that you deny rights based solely on religion- a religion that stole from mine and changes terms to fit their benefits?

Is it really so hard to understand that I am knowledgeable of what I reject~ I don’t lack the necessary knowledge to comprehend. In fact my knowledge is the reason I reject your truth- your religion.

I don’t fear your Holy persons or Holy relics. I am not ashamed of who and what I am.

How can you not understand that I see you as wrong? I see your religion as wrong. I won’t insult you and say it directly to you because that too is wrong and I am trying to offer you the self-same courtesy that I seldom receive.

Why should I fear some Heavenly Coward who can’t speak and offer respect to differing opinions, but instead must cause plagues and floods? Or simply turn his children out of a haven because they are human and made a mistake. Why should I – or anyone else for that matter- fear that which does not exist?

Perhaps I insult you and others like you.

But I am insulted by having to be this frank with you. You put me in the position where I must either acquiesce and by extension agree with you, or stand up and “represent” the opinions and feelings of others like me.

I am done acquiescing.

I am standing up.

For Religious Tolerance


The author's comments:
This was in response to the behavior of some individuals who insist that because I do not follow their faith that I must be stupid, scared, or ashamed.

I mean no insult to any who reads this.



Thank you.