On Being Strange Vii | Teen Ink

On Being Strange Vii MAG

First, I'd like to say that this column is really great. It's good to know there are people who are individuals, who think for themselves. None of us is strange though; we are strange because we are different from a society that strives for sameness. We appreciate our own uniqueness. But who is to say what's normal? How can we actually define normal, if normality is only something people pretend to be. I'm not saying everyone has to dress weird or have ideas opposite to society, but dressing or thinking a certain way just to fit in is wrong.

But don't go to the other extreme either by doing the opposite of what society does just because you want to be weird. People should rely strictly on what they feel is right, and not let society make decisions for them. People pretending to be who they are not are the strange ones. It's sad to think that people actually live their lives as someone else. They must not be happy with their true selves, therefore act as someone else.

I'm proud of who I am. Yes, I am a dreamer, and think I can change the world. Yes, I dress strangely, according to what other people think. And yes, I am a non-conformist. I can change the world, and so can all these "strange" people.

By writing in each month, we are showing teen-agers all over this state that they can be individuals. We are influencing many people who read this. We may have saved some people from the pit of conformity. If a small group of people who don't even know each other can do all that, then we can accomplish anything!!! n