Flag Burning | Teen Ink

Flag Burning MAG

We face a rather perplexing and troubling problem in our country. Flag burning! The destruction of something that many people consider as living and something many have lived and died for. Our flag is more than just a symbol so other countries can recognize us. It symbolizes our people working to live. It represents our children striving to learn. It shows democracy, the president, the House and Senate all working together as one, a united family. Old Glory is more than just a heap of thread and stitches. No American should be able to kill or burn the symbol of our country. In one quick glance a person can see the whole country swaying in the wind. Some may look for an instant to salute it or say a prayer, but for some it's hard to look away from what it has given them. When the National Anthem is played at a sporting event and Old Glory is gently swaying in the breeze, for some it's hard to hold back the tears. Others just cock back their shoulders and raise their heads high and think once again of what it has given them.

The citizens of the United States all have the right to free speech and expression. They can protest anything they want. Although acknowledged by many people as morally wrong, that right even includes burning our American flag. What could be said is that if the flag is burned, you have burned your rights as Americans. I believe a constitutional amendment should be added to abolish flag burning. It's up to us to vote to erase flag burning. As an American, you have the right to speak out when something is wrong and degrading to American society.

Children should be better educated in the history of our great country and flag, about the good times and the hardships we have been through. They should know what the red hardiness and the white purity and the blue justice means. If children were better educated, they would have a greater appreciation of the flag. Schools should set aside a hallway or room and dedicate it to America's past, present and current events so kids will know what is going on in the country.

Many people have been to hell and back defending the American flag. Some have never come back, thousands of them, just trying to make America a safer, better place to live. We, you and I, the civilians of America, are desecrating our flag. You would never see a military soldier of America rebeling by burning the flag. Maybe it's not all of us, just the people believing the American way is wrong. It's the people who just want to be noticed as being different, or rebels. They take for granted what they have, being free to live as they please, to work for whom they please, to breathe the freshness of a young healthy nation. People who believe in flag burning should have a talk with a veteran. If they could experience the pain, the agony, the tears and the glory of war, they would know what the flag really stands for. We, as Americans, should not have to stand and watch something so sacred, so special to us, go up in flames. Our government was set up in order to protect our country, to make it a better and safer place to live.

Our hands have remained tied throughout this flag burning battle. It's time for the people of the United States of America to take action and stand up now for what we believe in. Show these people the light, that America is the best place in the world to live. Make them see they're killing the pride and joy of America by burning our great flag. n

JBranch1998 said...
You openly contradict yourself in the second paragraph on which you base your argument, and the rest of it just seems awkward and disjointed...sorry but it just doesn't work for me...you know how to write, the argument is just flawed.

toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

it's passionate and expressive... but i can't agree with you on this... i just don't see how flag treatment might be such a big deal for anyone