Condom Distribution In Schools | Teen Ink

Condom Distribution In Schools MAG

Recently at one of my school's student council meetings, condom distribution was brought up. Apparently last year, someone fought for the right to hand them out in the nurse's office and lost.

As a teenager, I don't understand the controversy over the situation because everywhere I look - on television, on billboards, in the movies, even in school hallways, I see something that pertains to sex. Just because condoms would be handed out in school, this wouldn't possibly promote sex anymore than it already is.

Adults are always stressing abstinence. Of course abstinence is the best form of birth control and the best way to avoid sexually-transmitted diseases, but it is not very realistic to teens in today's world. Adults also stress the fact that if we are going to be sexually active then we should take precautions and protect ourselves. Isn't receiving condoms at the nurse's office a step toward stopping teen pregnancy and sexually-transmitted diseases, especially the HIV virus?

I think the distribution of condoms at the nurse's office is a good idea. It's more convenient for sexually-active teens because it's free and we don't have to face the embarrassment of buying them at a drug store.

The only way to start to solve the problem of teen sex is to make people understand that teenagers are going to have sex, regardless of the risks, and if condoms are not provided, they most likely won't be used. n

RipponLeaEnergise BRONZE, Clayton, Other

"how wonderful it is that nobody has to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world"

Anne Frank

i dont see the big deal if there handing out condoms or not, its also the teens choice to have sex. they should know that the school has provided protection against life threatning diseases such as aids, and STD'S. and as for the education side of things, most of us dont listen in class.

Anne Frank

i disagree with honeybunn. most teenagers have sex before they get married and before the age of 18, i dont think its a big deal if there handing out condoms or not, its their choice to have sex and they should be protected.

Honeybunn GOLD said...
Honeybunn GOLD, Chesterfield, South Carolina

*look inside my quote book*

i dissagree.  school is not a place for getting stuff besides an education.  The health department hands condoms out by the bagfulls to an individual every day for free.