Should Teens Be Tried As Adults | Teen Ink

Should Teens Be Tried As Adults MAG

Should teenagers be tried as adults? Opinions differ. Some people argue that teenagers don't know what they are doing when they commit a crime and are still too young to comprehend what is right and wrong. I totally disagree. I am old enough to know that committing a crime is wrong and that if I commit one, I will be punished. Anyone who says teens can't tell right from wrong is either too old to remember what being a teenager is like or they are a teenager who has committed a crime and don't want to be tried as an adult. In either case, they are wrong. All teens know that killing is wrong, yet they do it anyway and get away with a light sentence because of their age. Even if a teen didn't know it was wrong, it doesn't mean it's right. They should still be punished. If they aren't, they willthink that crimes are okay and continue to commit them.

Teens today don't fear the law because they don't think they will get caught. And if they do, they know they have a good chance of getting off because they are tried as teens and not adults. We have to get tougher on crime. There should be a law that everyone over eleven years old will be tried as adults. That way more teens would be discouraged from committing crimes. They would know that murder would get them a very long sentence instead of staying in juvenile hall until they are eighteen. If we want to cut down on teen crime, we have to have tougher laws. ?

joslin said...
i think u right

I Like Tacos(:

teengrudge said...
You need to develop a brain and some sympathetic abilities if you agree with this atricle!

The Author of this article is severely  emotionally challenged.  And has no empathy for others.  And "empathy" is really where this conversation should start!

A young inividual Knowng "Why" something is "right" or "wrong" is when,  and how,  the determination should be made as to wherther they should be tried as an adult.

Adolescents learn early the difference between right and wrong...they also learn to lie to get what they want.   but , they are rarely given instruction about victim's plight. 

This is because we, as a society,  dont want to raise cynical children.  So we shield them from stories about victims, and in turn, we dont teach them how their next lie or offence may hurt someone!!

A lie of ommision is just as bad as a lie committed.   We (our society) is raising juvinile offenders by failing to teach them about violence,   sex, and empathy,  at an early age! 

danceto.rocknroll BRONZE, Thornhill, Other

"be yourself, because the people that mind don't matter, and the people that matter don't mind."
- dr. seuss

I agree that teenagers should be tried as adults - They know right from wrong. But 11 years old, that's kind of extreme.

- dr. seuss

So basically you're saying - if you are 16 and were abused as a child & you decide to go out and murder someone, that's okay, they deserve a second chance. But, if a 35 year old was abused as a child & decides to go out & murder someone, that person doesn't deserve a second chance?

Everyone had a childhood at some point, whether you deal with your anger at 16 or 35 - what makes one person more special then the other?

tianaxbiddy SILVER, Wareham, Massachusetts

"Plot is character revealed by action."

-Aristotle

np its true xD p:

lovetrueblood, Inglewood, California

To have a friend, you have to be a friend. Who so ever you meet today, spread a smile and some kindness. Love someone for who he/she is; if you're even gonna love em at all. && Better to have loved and lost...than never to have loved at all <333 lovu

THANK YOU! ha finally someone says it

BrittDawn PLATINUM, Winnipeg, Other

And at that moment, I swear we were infinite.

I think teens should definetly be tried as adults. Someone my age (15) got in a car accident and killed her friend, as she isn't going to be punished. Teens totally know when they're doing something that's a crime.

J. Rae said...
Exactly! Teens aren't fully matured and do things that, if they waited until they were twenty and their brain was fully developed, they would not have done. That's why you hear adults saying that they did stupid things as a teen.

lyssa28 BRONZE said...
lyssa28 BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Teens should be tried as adults. Some teens want attention and end up commiting a crime knowing that it will them attention but not in serious truoble. Now, where ever I go, adults look at us like we're trash, truoble makers, and pests because of other teens.

everthought BRONZE, Vancouver, Other

"forever is the new now"
-anonymous

Everyone deserves a chance, teen or adult. Does more time in jail mean they will learn from the experience? I don't think so.

lunar_moon BRONZE, Austin, Texas

"If you think you can you can, and if you think you can't, you're right." -Mary Kay Ash

That is a very mature comment. Thanks!

wildcat DIAMOND, Hopkinton, Massachusetts

if adults are relentless to treating us like adults, then why should we all of a sudden be tried as an adult? 

i honestly don't care if i have to suffer the consequences that are given to me but i would much happier do it if i got that same respect for when were doing nothing wrong.

kate-the-shrew BRONZE, McCall, Idaho

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.----Will Rogers

I think that no matter how old you are, if you murder someone, you are still taking a life away. I also think that people can change. I DO NOT think there is any way to make the right decision in this case, because, sadly, either way, life sentence or juvenile hall, people's lives will still be ruined.

silvermoon11 BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
That's exactly how I feel. The point of punishment is not making wrongdoers suffer, but making sure they don't do it again. Teens do have a conscience, but they are not fully developed and have more capacity for change. That's why they get second chances.

morginathena BRONZE, Riverdale, New Jersey

First and foremost, kudos for voicing your opinion. I did not find the article especially well written and I disagree but that does not take away from the courage you had to share your views on this very, very important issue. I do, however, disagree. I find there is too many faults with just trying kids and teens as adults. For instance...

What about kids that aren't there for murder?

What about the 17 year old girl who tried drugs- and got caught? What about the group of graduates who have a party and someone dies? They're too terrified to think clearly and be rational. What if they get charged with criminally negligent homicide? What about the 13 year old boy living in the epitome of poverty, the "ghetto", so to speak, who gets involved with his older brother doing drugs? He's lived with them, known them, for his entire life. Why are they bad? His parents do them. What about the 17 year old boy who has sex with his drunk girlfriend? That's rape. How about the 18 year old with 15 year old girlfriend? That's rape, too. He's now a "sex offender". Or even the 17 year old who murders someone. He's mentally ill, homeless, and hallucinated while he was killing. 

Are these crimes right? Of course not. Ideally, everyone should know, respect, and follow the law. But that just isn't the case and especially with juveniles, it usually isn't the case. 

Should these people be put in to an adult jail where they could face years and years behind bars? Another thing you neglected to mention was the conditions of these jails. Rape, abuse, fighting, and murder is happening behind bars. Lets say the hypothetical situation about the 17 year old boy with the drunk girlfriend.

He goes in a good kid. He gets good grades, he has friends, a supportive family, plans for college. He goes in. He's raped, abused, mistreated. How does he come out of jail? He's not the same "good kid". Now he's back on the streets- as most will be- worse than he came in.

Yet another thing you neglected to mention was the conditions they should endure while in jail. Solitary confinement, the act of isolating them from their fellow inmates and depriving them of their primal need for human interaction. This has the power to make anyone suicidal, angry, and violent. Should they be able to get the death penalty? Life in prison?

Kids can be helped. Rehabilitated, counseled, and taught. By sentencing them as adults, we are taking away the hope that these kids do have.

tianaxbiddy said...
i disagree. teens should not be tried as adults. i am a teen myself who hasnt commited any crimes. chargein teens as adults shouldnt happen NO MATTER WHAT THEY HAVE DONE.it isnt right all teens have a chance to change and it would be easier for that process to happen in juvi. they can change and i have faith if they have the will. i dont find it right no matter what has happend in their life and i do not condone it. most just need someone gto believe in and care about and that is the will. but shovin them aside and putting them with adults isnt right.

live-love-laugh BRONZE, Asldkjfoi, Connecticut

"Happiness is learning to see beyond the imperfections"

although this might be true, the decision-making part of your brain, the part that fully formulates plans and sees possible consequences, doesn't fully develop until your early twenties, so that might be part of the reason.

Good article though!

Hay_Wire PLATINUM, Independence, Missouri
whether the author is correct or not, i think the article itself was poorly written. we need more detail, let alone better overall structure.