Missing Mal | Teen Ink

Missing Mal

August 17, 2023
By RJtheWise, Modesto, California
More by this author
RJtheWise, Modesto, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note:

It took me a while to perfect this, taking lots of breaks due to severe depression, but Im thrilled to finally release it to the innerwebs!

Malory is missing and it's my fault. I caused it. I left her alone and now I don’t know if she's dead or alive. Best friends for 12 years and this is what I do? This is so awful. What have I done?


Okay I should probably slow down. I'm writing this down to figure this all out, so I need to go to the beginning.  Maybe a flashback is in order. This may take a couple chapters. Hold tight.


 The first day of High school.

8/16/21

 

Quick explanation. For those of you who don’t know, I’m Ginny Hart, and I am, well, was, Mal’s best friend. We were neighbors ever since Mal moved here when we were two. Until everything went downhill on our first day as freshmen. Okay let's dive in. 


We were both really excited. As we did for any first, I woke up early and sprinted to Mal’s house. Mr. Thompson, Mal’s dad, let me in. Mr. T may look intimidating, because he's almost 6 '6, but he's just about the nicest guy you'll ever meet.


“Hey Mr. Thompson!” I said excitedly. “Is Mal up?” 


“Yep. Lola is doing her hair as we speak” said Mr.T, he smiled “ go ahead.”


I ran up the stairs and into Mal and Lola’s room, oh right I forgot to tell you, Lola is Mal’s older sister.  As Mr. T said,  Lola was indeed doing Mal’s hair.


“Ginny! How do I look?” asked Mal.


“ Amazing as always!” I said.


“Thanks!” said both Mal and Lola. 


I have always loved Lola and Mal’s room. The furniture was dark brown, polished oak. The bedspreads were lavender with white stitching. They even had what they called “the mini library” ,it was a corner with three bookshelves, packed to the brim with books, and a lavender loveseat. And of course always very, very clean.


As usual when they did each other's hair, Mal was sitting in an antique chair at the dresser, where the mirror was. I went across the room and sat on the bottom bunk.


“What's high school like?” I asked Lola


“It's really not too different from middle school. The work is more advanced and some kids and teachers are a bit more chill. But other than that it's mostly the same” she said looking at me for a second before continuing on Mal’s hair.


We sat in silence for a few minutes, because I doubted middle school and high school were that similar, before Lola eventually broke the silence. 


“Okay Mal, you're done!”


Lola had given Mal a braided bun with sky blue highlights that matched her eyes. I’ve always loved Mal’s hair. It's dark brown and very thick, like her mother’s was. Lola’s is more thin like her dad’s and aunt’s. 


“Wow you look great Mal!” I said


“Thanks!” said Mal.


“Do you want me to do your hair Ginny?” asked Lola.


“As much as I love your hair skills, I'm gonna do my regular hair on my first day.”  I responded.


“No problem!”  she said, smiling kindly.


“I'm so nervous! What if Alexa is going there?” asked Mal, obviously panicked.


 Alexa was our middle school’s super popular mean girl. She had always been terrible to us. I had always been jealous of her, I guess I've always hoped I'd be popular. 


“It'll all be okay, Mally.” said Lola.


“Lola I need a favor” said Mal, very seriously. 


“Yeah?” 


“Do not call me Mally at school. I'm a teenager now. It's Mal.” She said. 


Lola smiled and agreed. 


I helped Mal pick out her first day outfit. I had already chosen a short sleeve red flannel dress with a black belt around my waist for me. We ended up choosing some black overall shorts with a sky blue top for Mal to match her new highlights. Then we ran down for breakfast. 


Mr. T had made waffles for breakfast. He makes the best waffles! 


“ Looking great girls! So what's the game plan?”  asked Mr. T as he set our waffles on the table.


“ Ginny and I have first, second and third period today. They split the classes into block scheduling.” Mal said with her predictable ‘I have a plan voice’


Of course I've gotta join in!


Smiling, I say, “We have first and third period together so we will go to first together, split up for second, and then meet up at lunch before going to third together.” 


“ And we are going to try to get seats together in the front in both classes since I have trouble seeing the board.”  Mal finished.


We bowed before sitting down and eating our waffles. 


“ Good plan girls!” he said. “Seems like it’ll work perfectly”

 

(SPOILER ALERT: It did not work perfectly! )


We ate our waffles and had small talk for about 15 minutes. Nothing that will help me figure out what happened.  Just the usual debate about which book is better.


“Okay let's get going.” said Mr. T.


We smiled mischievously


“Last one to the car has to scream ‘I Love Ice Cream’ at school!!” Mal and I screamed, before running to the car.


“No fair!” yelled Lola, while Mr. T laughed.


We made it to the car first. Lola was last.


“I'm not yelling about Ice cream, Mal.” said Lola, once we were in the car, driving to St. Mary’s.


“Don’t be a sore loser.” I said.


“You gotta do it! You lost the race!” said Mal.


“Ugh! Fine.” Lola agreed, reluctantly. 


We listened to what we call The Greatest Playlist on our way. It's a mix of all of our favorite songs and artists. Most of us honestly put what we like, except for Lola who put classical music just to annoy us, and guess what comes on?


“Sweet , sweet revenge.” Lola said, with her cunning smile. She put her feet on the dashboard and kicked back. 


“Oh come on! It's our first day! Play some Alternative!”  yelled Mal, exasperated.


Mr. T noticed what Lola was doing. He was obviously upset. He’s a good guy and he's strict about safety, especially in cars. More on that later.


“Lorena Thompson, you better get your feet off that dashboard.” He said.


“Sorry dad.” Lola said, apologetically.

 

If Lola was actually sorry, I couldn’t tell. Luckily for her Mr. T was too busy getting us to school to care. Lola is very much a brat. I should probably cut her some slack though. At this point she's been through a lot. Plus it's only going to get worse. God, poor Lola. I wish I could go back and warn her. 


More small talk of course. I don’t see the point of small talk, but to each their own. The Thompsons sure do a lot of small talk. Since I practically live with them, I've gotten good at it. I certainly prefer it to being home. But this isn't about me. Well it is a bit, but mostly It is about Mal. Mal and her family. 


“Hey Ginny?” Mal said, in an attempt to get my attention.


“Huh?” I replied, obviously bored with the small talk.


“What do we do if James the Jackass is there?” she whispered. 


“He’s not a Jackass. And he’s still our friend. Just because I'm not dating him anymore doesn't mean we have to be rude to him.”


“Fair. Anyway, why did you break up?” she asked, acting like we hadn't had this conversation a million times.


So that was her plan, to get an answer out of me. I wasn't ready to tell her. Or anyone. I knew she wouldn't be mad but, just telling her “Hey I think I like girls! Specifically you Mal!” or something was terrifying. So I played dumb.


“Dunno. Just wasn't going to work out. I mean he's nice and all but I quickly realized he just wasn’t my type.” 


“ Aka Ginny code for he's an asshole.”  Lola butted in.


“Shut up!” I mumbled “ He really is an okay guy! I just didn't like him like that.”


Finally we arrived at school. It didn't feel real. It was a lot to take in. Everything changed over the summer. New school. New teachers. And, even though I didn't know yet, new challenges. 


I want to stop here. This is when I make the mistake. It spiraled. One choice did all of this. The end of my friendship with Mal. My home with the Thompsons. My place in their family. And all because of my hamartia. My fatal flaw. My desire for popularity. God, I’m an Idiot. 

 

Okay we’re really doing this. It's time for the terrible twisted story. Okay well the day seemed normal at first. We walked into school with Lola. Lola saw her boyfriend and told us she would see us later. We went to find James and Charlie. 


You already know James is my ex, but Charlie you don’t know. Charlie has been one of our best friends since kindergarten. He introduced us to James in 6th grade. Then boom, the perfect friend group. Mal is too smart for us, James is athletic, I’m stubborn, and Charlie can trick just about anyone. James and Mal’s skills are often useful, while Charlie and my skills more often than not just get us in trouble. 


“ Hey Charlie!” I yelled, in order to get Charlie’s attention.


Charlie and James were talking by the bushes. They still didn’t notice us. If it was just James I would have suspected that he was trying to annoy us, but Charlie was too sweet to do that. So we tried again to get their attention.


Mal flicked James in the back of the head before saying “ Earth to James?”

“ Oh hey guys” he finally said. He turned around to look at us. 
  

“Hi!” Said Charlie, in his usual overly excited voice.


Most people would find him annoying, because he only ever talked about history, but we didn't. We each had our own oddness, so we all learned to appreciate each other’s supreme weirdness.


James is impulsive. He has no self control, can’t pay attention, and I've never seen that boy hold still for more than a millisecond. He has an excuse though, he has ADHD. 


And then we have Mal. She cannot handle any germs or dirt, anything being unclean, and will have certain obsessions, like lavender. 


If you haven’t guessed my weirdness, it's my tendency to switch moods and pretty much every part of my personality at the drop of a hat. 


People also judge me unfairly based on my father. We can talk about that later. 


Even more small talk, How was your summer? Did you hear about bla bla bla? I didn’t know you went to ‘Enter place here’! Whatever, I wasn’t paying attention. 


  Eventually we heard the bell ring and Mal and I went to Our first class. Nothing interesting happened until lunch so I’ll skip ahead.


We met up at the stage and then we got food at the cafeteria. They were serving those cheese burgers that definitely are not real cheese or beef, plus the buns are simultaneously soggy and stale. 


And here’s where everything went wrong. Alexa came up to us. Bit of background. Movies get bullies all wrong. They don't get all up in your face and yell and punch every chance they get, at least  in my experience. It's sly and annoying, like “wow that outfit, I’d never have the guts to wear that!” with a smirk on their face. 


That's how Alexa Is. So imagine our shock when she comes up to us and says “ Hey, how was your summer?” like she hadn’t been Mal’s mortal enemy for three years.


“Um. Good?” Mal said.


I kinda just stared at her, in utter confusion, thinking ‘ what's going on?’.


“ Okay, I'll get to the point. I’m sorry. I was horrible and I want to make it up to you.” She said “I'm having a party and I want you to come. It’s a small one, tomorrow at six. I already invited James and Charlie.”


“ Why should we believe you? That you changed?” I asked suspiciously.


“ I guess it's a leap of faith? Look, I had all summer to think about it. I lost all my friends because they grew the hell up and I didn't.  I was being awful and I decided that I wanted to make it up to you guys. You don't have to believe me, but if you do, feel free to come to the party.” 


Honestly it was quite the monologue. I believed her. I would end up regretting going, but not because of Alexa. Because of what would happen to the Thompsons while I was at the party. 


“ I’ll be there.” I said, smiling .


“ Awsome!” Alexa said, before leaving. 


“ You were awfully quiet. Did you not believe her?” I asked Mal.


“ I believe her, but I'm not sneaking out to go to a party. Six o’clock on a Tuesday? Not gonna happen. Dad will shut me down real quick” 


“Well, can you cover for me at least?” I asked. 


“I don't know. Your mom is more strict than my dad. If she finds out you snuck out, you're a dead man walking!”  


“Which is why we say I am over at your house.  Your dad has the night shift tomorrow right? And Lola has her date? You’ll be the only one who will have to vouch for me.” I said, trying to convince myself it's a good idea as much as to her.


“Fine, but if you get caught it’s your funeral.” Mal said, grudgingly


The bell rang and we headed to class. We had fun in art. We did drawings of our best friends so obviously we drew each other. Then we had a bit less fun with a history of art. After that we still had some fun so we did a drawing of our favorite animal. I drew my cat Potato, Mal drew her dog Jax. When the bell rang we met up with Lola and got in Mr. T’s car to go home.


SMALL TALK!!! SO. MUCH. SMALL. TALK.  I guarantee Lola did not care about Mike refusing to wear a mask in Mal’s second period. I’m willing to bet Mr. T didn’t want to hear all about Lola’s boyfriend, Damion. 


We got to Mal’s house, did homework, and watched a movie. Then I went home and waited for my mom to get home. She was late which was unusual because she was always on time, if not early. 


When she did finally get home she was acting weird. Like she was hiding something. I was confused. 


“Mom, what's going on?” I asked, concerned.


“Nothing you need to be worried about.” She responded, obviously stressed. 


“That makes me think I should definitely worry” I said, half jokingly, half serious.


“ Well you don't need to. Everything is fine. Go wash your hands. I got us some pizza.”


“Okay…” I said. I thought something super bad must have happened. 

I could tell you about how I escaped. How I made a paper mache crossbow with a rubber band string and made an arrow with a toothbrush.I could laugh with you about taking the nurses scrubs with me to change into later.  I could happily tell you about the guards who had to die for me to live my life again, the people who helped me, the people who I stabbed in the back. I could tell you every detail of the bloodbath. Or I could tell you nothing other than that I am on the run.


We will pick up with my trip back home. I decided that a plane was too risky with all the security. They would immediately recognize me from the news. Only a fool would attempt that. I would have to try something else.


I could have stolen a car and drove back home, but there was the risk that a patrol car would recognize it as stolen once reported. Too much attention might be drawn. I’m not an idiot 


My best bet was to get a taxi to the neighboring town, which had a train station. Since I was in nurse's clothes,I was not as suspicious, so I bought some regular clothes and headed to the train station. I got a ticket for the next train to Modesto.


Like I said, I'm not an idiot. I am fully aware that, no matter the planning, for everything to go your way you will need a bit of luck.  


It was lucky that word had not spread of my break out by the time I was on the train. It was also luck that the train still required masks. It was easier to hide my face, just in case anybody had heard. 


I boarded the train and found my seat. After a while of sitting alone an older couple boarded and sat next to me. They said that they were heading to see their grandchildren. 


Her husband cursed like a sailor. Ginny would get along with him well and think it funny. Unfortunately the woman did not find it funny and glared at him. I did my best to pretend to enjoy our conversation, although I find most people rather dull. I bought a sandwich on the train. It was turkey and cheese. It was better than prison food, but still not great. 


We arrived in Modesto. I had contemplated the possibility the police would be waiting for me, but they were not. More luck. The brawl I had Harison and Johnathan stage seemed to have kept them distracted. Hopefully I'd be able to do what I needed to do before they realized I was gone. 


I decided to spend the night at a motel under an alias, Tanner Johnson.  It was a decent hotel. I had taken about 200 dollars in cash out of the woman's purse. Cards can be traced or shut down. I went to sleep knowing that I would put my plan into action in the morning. 

 


8/17/21


I woke up at 6:00am. As usual, I did not have a dream. I got up and realized I would need a car. I decided to borrow one from a trusted person. I would not call him a friend, but he and I are very similar. I knew I could trust him. 


I took the bus to his house, once again the aftermath of the pandemic was helpful. I asked to borrow the car and some cash, but did not tell him why. He agreed but said I would have to pay him back, plus compensation later. And as usual if I get caught at whatever I was going to do, I also stole the car and money.  


Next I used the money to get supplies, dye my hair black, and get some more inconspicuous clothes. I needed to blend in.  All of this took up a good chunk of the day. That was fine. My best chance was to go through with the kidnapping tonight. 


Around 4pm I started to watch the house where my daughter’s friend lived. I parked across the street. The car I borrowed had tinted windows, which meant nobody would see me. I saw the girl’s father leave around five. Then her sister shortly after. Finally around 5:30 my daughter left. 


I still waited a bit longer. Just to make sure that nobody came back to get something. I then walked into the house. Luck again. They forgot to lock the door.


“Ginny? Did you forget something?” the girl called.


I did not respond and continued up to the idiotic child’s room. Not only did she not lock the door, but she gave away her location.  The stairs creaked creepily.


“ Ginny, this isn’t funny! What are you doing?” she yelled again. 


I once again ignored her. I was ecstatic. She was the reason I went to jail, and now she will pay the price.


“Ginny! Why won't you respond?!” 


I was almost to the room when she opened the door and screamed at the sight of me. She ran back into her room but I caught her quickly. I pressed a rag over her face until she went unconscious. I would not kill her yet. I wrote a message for my daughter on the wall.


I checked that none of the neighbors could see before carrying her out to the car. I put her in the back and drove off. I knew an old abandoned building I could take her to. It would be less suspicious than to keep her in that motel.  


I took her inside and tied her to a chair. I would keep her here for now. I knew she would not wake for a while so I started writing this. I will burn the pages later. It’s too incriminating, but I'm bored. What else could I do?

When I woke up the next morning I was really excited for the party, but still worried about whatever was going on with mom. I tried asking again while eating my breakfast, freezer waffles and chocolate syrup, but she just said: “ It's none of your concern” whatever that means.


“ Mom It’s obviously important. I deserve to know!” I said, blatantly annoyed.


“No. That's enough. Finnish up, and, for god’s sake, brush your hair!” she exclaimed. 


I gave in and ate my waffles while glaring at her. Once I finished I did not brush my hair out of spite, and headed over to the Thompsons to carpool. 


The day was pretty boring. We hung out with Alexa this time. She still seemed to be really nice. She apologized again.  We told her again that we forgave her but she has to earn our full trust. She agreed that that was fair.


The food of course was horrible. Cafeteria food is probably around the quality of a suspicious diner in the middle of nowhere, except its poison doesn't kill you, it's just enough to make you go green in the face. 


After school we went back to Mal’s. The plan was to act like I was spending the night. We’d wait until her dad and sister left,( Mr. T has the night shift at the ER) Then I’d head to the party. Afterwards I would be back before her sister would get home around 8. 


Mr. T left around five. Then Lola. Around five thirty I left and walked to the party. It wasn’t really a party, it was more just hanging out. We played board games, went swimming, and watched cartoons. Towards the end we all just talked.


“So what’s you guys’ favorite holiday?” Alexa asked.


“Halloween,” James said. “ You can scare people and it’s not mean.” 


“Christmas. You get a lot of gifts.” Charlie replied.


“I like easter. You get a vacation from school and candy. It's the best of both worlds” I answered. 


“Cool” Alexa responded.


After a while It was time to go back to Mal’s. I got a ride from Alexa’s mom. She didn’t want any of us walking home in the dark. 


When she dropped me off I knew something was wrong. The door was wide open. I walked inside anyway. I called for Mal; no response. I called again, and still no response. I continued up to the room. It was a mess.


On the wall, in permanent marker, was a message.

 “I’m back blondie” 

                   - Dad


I stumbled back. No no no. He couldn’t be back. He's in jail. But did he break out? Was that why mom was so upset? Oh god did he have Mal? This was all wrong.


I didn’t know what to do. Should I call Lola? Mr. T? The police. Yes, the police. 911. I called them immediately. 


“911, What's your emergency?” the lady said.


“I think my friend has been kidnaped! I went to a party and I- I left her alone and she's not here and there's a creepy message on the wall and-”


“ It's okay honey, give me your name and address.”


I gave it to her. The police came quickly. They pointed out the obvious;  there was a struggle. Mal was missing.


After I called the police I called Mr. T, then my mom. Mr. T called Lola. Everybody rushed home. The last thing I was worried about was getting in trouble. 


The police questioned me for what felt like days. Lieutenant Thompson, or as I call her, Emma,  was Mr. T’s Sister. She was leading the investigation. Some may call this unprofessional, but come on, who would work harder to find Mal than her aunt? 


When they finally let me go, Emma came over to talk a bit. “Hey Ginny, we’re gonna find her.”


“It's all my fault! I should have been there. “ I said, in tears.


“No, it's not. If you were there, they would have taken you too.” She said, while giving me a hug. “ I’ll tell you the minute we know anything.” 


I had always loved Emma. She was both a kind, empathetic person, and a complete badass. I knew she would do anything to find Mal. She sent me home with my mom and so we went.


In the car I broke down. I thought I must be in trouble.


“Mom I know I shouldn’t have lied-”


“Honey, I'm just glad you are safe! Emma was right. If you were there, you would be gone too.” she said, looking anxious.


The rest of the ride was silent. Neither of us knew what to say. Mal was missing. If I had just stayed with her we’d both be gone, I know that. But if I’d had convinced her to come she couldn’t have been taken. What happened was my fault. I left her and now she is gone. 


By the time we got home it was late. I went to bed and just laid there and cried. I was scared, and confused, and worried. But most of all I was angry. Who would hurt a sweet girl like Mallory Thompson? A monster, and I only knew one monster. Hunter Hart, My father. He must have escaped.

Chapter 4:

The Mysterious Case 

of Missing Mal

Lieutenant Emma Thompson

8/18/21

 

My brother is understandably distraught. He already lost his wife in that car crash, and now Mallory? This is bat shit. Absolutely insane. 


This isn’t just any missing person. This is a missing child. All last night we had people patrolling the area, for any sign of Mal. The neighbors didn’t see anything, typical. I decided to have a briefing.


“ Morris! What do we have to work with?” I asked, maybe a bit too aggressively.


“ No sign of the girl. Nobody’s come forward with any new information” He responded “ only family in the area is the father, sister, you, and your wife. You all have airtight alibis”


“ Okay anybody have any more information or made progress?” I  asked the room at large.


“ We might have a suspect.” One of the detectives said. “ Hunter Hart recently escaped from prison. He has a motive since Mallory reported him for child abuse and attempted murder back in 2019. He had been hitting his daughter for years and eventually tried to strangle her. Put that with the message on the wall and…”


“ Yes, I had arrested him, I remember. Okay he’s our number one suspect for now.” I responded. “Go post a wanted ad online and in the newspaper. I’ll schedule the press conference.”

 

 


8/24/21


We had made some progress. Hunter Hart was at the scene, the DNA proves it. We added Suspected Kidnapping to his arrest warrant. We also got a report of seeing him in a red truck. They even saw the license plate so we have a car to look for now.


My brother Mike is a mess, as to be expected. Lola has been stopping by “just because” about every chance she gets. Ginny and her mother might as well live here since we have to question them so much. They are being very cooperative, since they also want Mal back. 


We did not suspect he wanted a ransom. He had not contacted us with any demands. We have not quite figured out what he wanted. Possibly just revenge, in which case my niece is most likely dead. He also might hope Ginny will go after him. I’ll have to keep her calm. Quite the temper with that one.


Just then my wife, Rue, came in. She had brought me coffee from the Queen Bean.  It's a great local place.


“ You're a lifesaver babe!” I said before kissing her on the cheek. 


“ No problem. How’s the search going? I'm really worried about you and your family.” She responded. Rue was always kind like that. 


“ We have a car description and license plate. Running it as we speak.” I said. 


 “Lieutenant! We got a name!” Morris yelled. “ Tim Gray owns it. Got the address here whenever you’re ready!” 


“ Great! Let's roll!” I said. “Love you babe! See you later!” 


I practically sprinted out the door. Morris was right behind me.  Henry Morris is my Sargent and also my most loyal friend. He’s the only one who didn't give a single f*ck that I was with a woman. 


He doesn’t make it the only topic we ever talk about,or refuse to acknowledge it, or harass me. He just treats it as it is, just as relevant as if I was with a man, and so he easily became one of my favorite friends. But I’m getting off topic. 


We got there and I wanted to kick down the door and raid the place, but we needed to do this properly. Morris told me to stay calm as we walked up to the door. We knocked on the door and a few moments later Gray opened the door.


“Modesto Police. I'm Lieutenant Thompson and this is Sargent Morris. We have reason to believe that a suspect has been using your car. Do you have a moment to talk?’’ 


Gray Immediately said “Nope” and slammed the door in my face. Frustrating, of course but without a warrant, we couldn’t force him to come to the station, or go inside without his permission. 


Morris was almost as upset as I was. He was fond of Mal and wanted to find her as soon as possible. We reluctantly returned to the station. Rue was still there. That was strange. What was stranger was that… Mal? Mal was in a chair next to her, crying, wrapped in a blanket.

I had been held hostage for what seemed like years, he never hurt me physically but said horrible things. How he was using me to lure Ginny, and was going to kill her. I begged him to leave her alone. That i was the one to report him and hit him with James’s bat that night. To kill me instead.


He simply laughed. What was wrong with him? What did he experience to make him this cruel? Who would kill his own daughter? Who would kill sweet, beautiful Ginny. Kind, amazing Ginny. Part of me hopes she will save me. But I know that would be foolish of her, putting herself into his trap.


He called me awful names, Fagot, Tranny. He always addressed me as my deadname. What a d*ck. He used to seem like a great guy when I was little. I guess he was a good actor. Cunning and smart. 


And then one day he untied me. He told me to “run to the police station and show your aunt Emma this.” he gave me an envelope and pushed me


“Go! Now!” He screamed. I ran and ran until I couldn't anymore. Luckily a wonderful girl named Mars recognized me from the news and took me straight to the station. I’ll always be thankful to her. 


I ran in and Aunt Rue saw me as she was leaving. She ran to me and gave me a hug and we both just cried and cried.


“Somebody get her a blanket and some clothes! God damnit now!” Everyone knew she was the Lieutenant’s wife and listened to her, especially now, when I was covered in dirt and obviously scared, having seemingly escaped from the pits of hell. Not far off.


They took me upstairs but Aunt Rue wouldn’t let them question me until Aunt Emma and dad got here and I had a chance to calm down. She knew that they couldn’t force me to be questioned, so she told me not to worry about that just yet. That my dad should be there and would want to see me as soon as possible anyway.


Just as Aunt Rue was about to call everyone, Aunt Emma burst in looking mad, that is, until she saw me and ran bursting into tears. I started crying all over again. After what seemed like only a second in her arms, but was probably longer, she apologized, saying that she should alert my sister and father that I'm here and would be right back.


Not ten minutes later, my dad, sister, Ginny, and Mrs. Hart burst in and all tried to hug me at once. Strangely, Ginny cried the hardest. That's when it hit me, the way she had been acting, breaking up with James, looking at me randomly and blushing. She liked me back. Not just as a friend either.


I couldn’t stop hugging her. She was my motivation to keep running, the one I needed to protect. I was in love. And also I might be gay, to the surprise of no one. I wanted to kiss her. But was this the right place and time? I should at least confirm she likes me and ask first. I don’t want to f*ck this up.


“Ginny, can we talk for a second? I said nervously. 


“ Sure.” she responded as we walked to the hall.


I looked around to make sure we were alone and then-


“Was it my dad? If it was, be honest! Nobody will tell me anything, but the wall said it was him. I think they are trying to keep me calm, it's not working.” she rambled.


“Yeah, but uh-”


“I’m gonna kill him!” she exclaimed.


“Maybe don't say that in a police station. Seriously though-”


“ I can’t believe it! He took you!”


“Ginny! I need to tell you something!”


“Sorry Mal. What do you need to say?”


“ That I love you dumbass!” I said half upset, half relieved and happy to finally say it. “ And i get it if you don’t love me but-”

And then she kissed me. It was amazing to finally know she loved me back. When she pulled away and apologized, hugged her and we both just cried and laughed. I wanted to hold her forever. Unfortunately Lola and Aunt Rue apparently were watching the entire time. 


“You love birds done being idiots now?” Lola said. “ finally realized how much you two love each other? Good it was exhausting watching you two being clueless.”


Ginny flipped her off and we all just laughed. But in all seriousness, I probably needed to go answer some questions and give Aunt Emma the envelope.


I hadn’t opened the envelope, I was afraid of what was inside. What was so important that he let me go? Was there a bigger plan? Was this how he will get Ginny? Maybe I shouldn’t give her the letter. It could be a trap! 


Ginny saw how worried I looked and immediately was concerned. She is sweet in that way. Always worried about me. So much empathy. Truly the opposite of her father. 


“Mal, are you okay?” she asked “I mean of course you aren’t, but is something else wrong?” 


“Well…I didn’t escape like everyone assumed… He kind of let me go. I don't know why” I lied through my teeth about not knowing why.

Oh my god Mal’s back! And I’m eighty percent sure she's my girlfriend now! Downside apparently the sperm donor (basically all he is to me and mom now) is trying to kill us all, so me and Mal’s family are in witness protection, in a safehouse. Meaning that Emma is off the case. And that's bad. 


On the brightside Mal and I have to share a room, I mean lola is there too but it's going to be fun being with two of my favorite people! I mean I’m ace, so even if she wasn’t there… you know what, let's talk about something else. 


Sargent Morris is in charge of the investigation now so we are just gonna wait around I guess. Or we could try to help! And so I went to try to convince everyone that we can help.


“ We can do something! We can do anything to help!” I pleaded


“No! We will not be putting ourselves at risk. I forbid you from leaving this house under any circumstances.” My mom said, “You would be kidnaped just like Malory was!”


“Hellan is right. Same to you Mal and Lola” Mr. T said. “ We need to be careful. He is after all of you, and by extension, us adults too. You cannot leave.”


I ran to my room furious. What if he found us first? What if he took Mal again? Suddenly Mal came in.


“Ginny, I feel really sick and I think-” she started saying before falling to the floor, out cold.


“Mal! Oh my god help!” I yelled. The others ran in and Rue called 911 for an ambulance. Then as the EMTs took her to an ambulance, an envelope fell from her pocket. I opened it, desperate for an explanation to what just happened.  


“ Dear Emma, The water I gave your precious niece was laced with a very rare, slow acting poison, approximately 18 hours. I doubt she gave you this in time. I knew she would be worried it would lure you all into a trap.


If you would like the cure, or even the name of the poison, you will bring my daughter to me immediately. It is your niece or my daughter. Your choice. 


Oh and Ginny dear, if you open it first, just come yourself please. I will drop the cure off as soon as you arrive,  either of you, meet me at 555 Winstan Lane.”


I needed to go, but alone? None of the others here would let me go. They would try to trick him, but Mal’s life is in danger. My only option was to go alone and let him kill me, for Mal. Unfortunately, Lola saw me try to sneak out and decided to help, along with bringing Charlie and James. 


She said that she would pretend to trade me for the cure, then James and Charlie would sneak up and knock him out with the same baseball bat, very poetic right? 


And just like that we were on our way to get the boys in Lola’s car. Once we got there we realized that it was the warehouse Mal described, but the police had searched it, he wasn’t here, Morris himself did the search so unless…


Morris was working with him. He and my father approached us. The smile on my father’s face was sickening. And Morris? He used to come to Friendsgiving! Jeez you think you know a person.


They both had guns. That made this a hundred times more frightening  


“Okay Ginny, time to go!” my father said, with a sick grin. “ We need to catch the train in about 20 minutes” 


“ First give Lola the cure! I'm not going anywhere with you until then.” I yelled. I knew he was going to try to trick us, just like how we are trying to trick him.


“Fine” he said as he handed it over, before grabbing me by the wrist. 


James snuck up and tried to hit him and Morris with the bat, but Morris saw and shot him in the arm. Screams erupted. Charlie ran with his hands up to James to try to take care of the wound. Morris had a soft spot for Charlie, still, apparently because he allowed this. He has always liked Charlie. 


My father then put the gun against my head and started walking backwards with me towards a car I did not recognize, Morris followed. 


Suddenly I heard gunfire. Was it my father’s gun? Am I dead? Why is he falling? And then It hit me. Someone shot my father. 


Second gunfire. Morris is down. We are saved. I turned around to see Mr. T, Rue, and Emma. Rue ran to hug us while Mr. T, being a Trauma Doctor, went to care for James, and Emma called everything in. My father and Morris were dead. He was finally unable to hurt us, so why was part of me sad?


We went back to the hospital, James was in surgery so we went to see Mal, who was awake and fine. Apparently he gave her a very easily cured poison. They didn't tell us kids what and we didn’t care. We had Mal back. The “cure” my father gave us was dyed water.

I got everyone's perspective on the last month's events, including, for some reason,  Hunter Hart’s diary thing, so why not make a book? I mean Ginny even had her’s in a journal.


Mal was fine and after we had decompressed for a few weeks Ginny and her went on their first date. James will have to wear an arm sling for a while but will be fine after a few months.  James turned out to be Bi, and has feelings for Charlie. I’m the only one who knows. 


That girl Mars? She hangs out with us sometimes. She’s chill. More of an acquaintance than a friend right now but who knows. I means he did us a solid. 


Hopefully this is it. I really hope I don't need to write part two. So goodbye to my audience. I bid you adu and hope this was interesting. 


PS. Risks like going after a known criminal is stupid, do as I say, not as I do!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.