I opened the Door to Discover | Teen Ink

I opened the Door to Discover

By olevitsky25, Brentwood, New Hampshire
olevitsky25, Brentwood, New Hampshire

Author's note:

I am a high school student and was inspired by many books I have read when writing this book. In class we were tasked with writing a longer piece and I took that opportunity to 

I opened the doors to discover 

JAMIE

Who even is Jamie? Good question she was, or is, (I honestly don’t even know) my best friend. We told each other everything, we were always there for each other, but she is gone… Well she has to be somewhere, but the big question is, where? Jamie has vanished into thin air, and I will probably never see her again. 

Before I get too far, I’ll introduce myself. My name is Avery, I love to play volleyball and softball, and I have never lost a board game. I have five siblings and I am the middle child so you can imagine how chaotic my life is. Oh, and I no longer have my best friend. 

The night she disappeared was like any other, I know that sounds cliche, but it's true 

I SWEAR…

At the time we were in a bit of a fight, our friendship had changed throughout high school and we were kinda on the outs. We were juniors, so we had drastically different classes and we played different sports and had joined new friend groups. I knew this, and was never oblivious to the fact that Jamie was not the same as she was. I had changed too, mainly I developed new priorities. To get any type of scholarship it is essential to be involved in clubs, sports, and do well in school. Busy is an understatement when it comes to describing my schedule, and being an amazing best friend was not my priority.  Our growing apart was also a  byproduct of the “family stuff” that she told me about and the drugs she used to deal with what she couldn’t admit to. 

When she never came home on Monday night, her mom called mine to see if we were together, not knowing the current status of our friendship. Of course, my mom knew the truth, Jamie had cut me off. But she asked me about it anyway.  I figured she would be back tomorrow, she was either at a party or forgot to tell her family she was staying somewhere. “Jamie IS forgetful” is the sentence that relayed over and over in my head. 

My mind wandered, she had never gone missing like this… 

*****

Jamie went missing on a Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday I walked by myself from AP Chemistry to History. Mr. Tibet, our history teacher was absent, so a sub went through attendance. When he called Jamie, there was silence, no “here” “present” or “aqui” because she loved Spanish. Instead an eerie silence crept into the room and slowly life itself was sucked out  of the classroom. Sure it was only a few seconds, but in my gut I felt something was wrong, and my heart broke. 

Where is she ? And why do I know NOTHING?

1 day later Jamie was still missing, and I knew something had to be done. 

I had a plan, to take her Macbook and sign in to look at her messages and maybe I could find something that everyone else missed. The police had confiscated her school computer but there was no way they found her stash of  so-called “sacred things.” Jamie and Lane Kim from Gilmore Girls were similar for one reason and one reason only, they hid things under their floorboards. 

I just have no idea how to get into her house without talking to her family. Sure best friends hang out at each other's houses, but not many people went to Jamie’s. She had a big pool, nice room and a decked out basement. But being in the same room as her dad was like being stuck in an elevator, uncomfortable, stuffy and scary. What I have witnessed at that house, is that of nightmares, and creeps into mine regularly. And when you don’t feel safe somewhere, you usually don't go to that place. This doesn't make me a bad friend, right?

The last time I went inside that house, I saw something I can’t unsee... Sounds of screaming filled the house, Jamies’ room began to shake, the architectural model of the White House we created was on the ground.I ran down the stairs and saw Mrs. Finch on the ground, in front of the dishwasher. Mr. Finch was pacing, and my eyes stared at a broken window and family.I ran to Mrs. Finch as her head slowly bled everywhere, to stop the bleeding I grabbed a dish towel. I heard the echoing voice of the 911 worker or caller person as they spoke, “We are sending someone now, hang tight.”  Sirens echoed throughout the neighborhood and bam. All of a sudden I woke up in the hospital waiting room. 

I can’t remember anything else from that night, I woke up in the waiting room and that was that. I never talked about what had happened, not with Jamie, my parents, or even my therapist. Bringing myself to believe it was impossible, or maybe it was just a little too possible. 

Mrs. Finch stayed at the hospital and Mr. Finch went to jail for a mere 14 days. I assumed this would be the end of abuse in this relationship. Jamie believed they were over, but I could not convince myself.

Fruit, that is how I will get in. I have a fruit basket in the passenger seat of my car as I pull into 137, Newtons Way.  

Ten minutes and one white lie later, I had retrieved the Mac from under the floorboards, stuffed it in my bag, and was back in my car around the corner reading feverishly. Jamie has been “texting” her dad, but there were capital letters (which she never uses) and punctuation, which is also weird for her. It seems that Jamie is still in Riverside because the person on the other side of the phone (whether it is Jamie or not) complains about how loud the chickens are and how they may give away this person's location. This piece of Information may have been helpful but, the town of  Riverside is the kind of place where you either had farm land with animals or endless crops that stretched over multiple acres. To be honest most people had both, and everyone's chickens are extremely loud.

As I read more and more, the smell of her room continued  to nag at me. Old Spice, I hate this smell. It reminds me of when….. “Jamie is calling” screamed my mom. I sprinted downstairs and grabbed the phone. I only heard Jamie sobbing, but she remained speechless, I just wanted to be there for her. Her dad wants her to visit in jail, avoiding this situation became impossible  and now the dreaded moment was here. “He wants us to bring toothpaste and Old Spice, he doesn't even care that I am going, he just wants stuff. Can you come with me?” Is what she said, and of course I decided to join.The smell is now associated with her sorry excuse of a father. To conclude, why did her room smell vividly like her dad and how is her dad texting Jamie, or someone with Jamies’ phone?

The idea came to me while sitting in the car, the iphone app called Find My. It would allow me to see the location of the phone therefore I might know where Jamies’ was. As I slowly trailed off, and something or rather someone interrupted me. Tap Tap Tap, sounded on my window, not aggressively but not gentle either. It’s Mr. Finch. Petrified, my breathing pattern sped up, I could not think, speak, or look him in the eye. “What are you doing here? You don't live on this street.” he scrambled

I mustered a mere “hello, um well I just you know.”  Rolling down my window as slow as possible I was able to answer his question, “Like um like doing some um schoolwork.”

He repeated,  “this is not your street.” 

“I know but I miss Jamie and I feel like this is a way I can be closer to her,” my voice steadied and I caught my breath.

“Have you heard anything at school about her that might help the investigation?” he questioned.

“No,” I stammered, “it’s a horrible um, mystery, which we are all trying to solve, you know?

“Well I'll let you get back to work, keep the family posted,” said Mr Finch. There was genuine concern in his voice and I now noticed how  dark circles under his eyes proved that he clearly isn't sleeping well. 

It couldn’t be Mr. Finch, right? The pain in his eyes was genuine, and there was a new tone of voice. Not aggressive but almost inquisitive, he had hoped I knew something. But there was always a possibility that he was an amazing actor or I am just gullible. I still suspect him, after what I’ve seen sadly, it would not surprise me. 

The rest of the text are blackmail, the person  on Jamies' phone was definitely not Jamie because many of the texts were written like “Bring me 10k, or Jamie is dead. Drop it off at the mailbox and if you involve the police, you’ll never see Jamie again”. 

I couldn't digest this,I  slammed the computer shut and drove off, with no destination in mind  I could not stop. Jamie was probably dead because there is no way that washed up and laid off Mr. Finch has more than 500 dollars in his bank account. But everyone knows this so why him, and why Jamie? I have to figure out where she is. Before it's too late. 

I needed wifi, ASAP. so I pulled into Starbucks and online ordered so I would not have to waste any time. It wasn't like I could drink chia, but I felt like I should order something. It would be weird and awkward if I didn’t. I immediately logged onto Jamie's computer, my mind was racing so fast I typed the pin in wrong. The buzz esq sound of the computer letting me in, echoed through my head. I went to the Find My app and I knew where she was. 

The lake house might have been my favorite place.  Just because I didn't go to Jamie's real house, does not mean I never stepped foot in her other houses. Jamies’ family had an amazing  lake house. The house had jet skies, speed boats and rafts, and Jamie's dad was NEVER there. My family never had a vacation house, but I always felt at home there. 

What is weird about the lakehouse now is the macbook says that is where Jamies phone is. One-half an hour, that's how far away the house is, 30 minutes. The truth could be known in just over 30 minutes.  There is no way that I have gotten to the bottom of this without the police, or anyones elses help. I need to figure this out on my own,“ Grande Iced Chai Latte,”  exclaimed the Starbucks worker. Her name was Laura and we had English together.

“Thank you,” I answered. 

“How are the Finches doing?” Laura questioned as she handed the cup. “Especially Mrs. Finch, it must be incredibly tough”

“I think they are doing the best they can given the circumstances” I replied 

But I can’t help but think, I have not seen Mrs. Finch. She is really close with my mom and I have not seen her, the more I thought about it the more my heart sank. She has probably been separating herself from all of her relationships. I can’t even imagine what she is going through. 

The lakehouse might have been my favorite place.  Just because I didn't go to Jamie's real house, does not mean I never stepped foot in her other houses. Jamies’ family had an amazing  lake house. The house had jet skies, speed boats and rafts, and Jamie's dad was NEVER there. My family never had a vacation house, but I always felt at home there. 

“Thank you,” I answered. 

I searched frantically for Jamie, I rummaged through the closets, rooms, bathrooms, laundry room, front and back porch, basement, rooftop deck, the dock, in the boats. Then the sound of tires on a dirt road echoed throughout the lake. Someone was here, they were here to help. Footsteps followed those thoughts and I saw Anna Finch, she was here too, she was here to find Jamie with me. 

“Is my baby here?” said Anna. 

“I hope I can’t find her, I feel like I have looked everywhere.” 

“Where is everywhere, honey?” She took steps closer to me, but slowly. I broke down crying, Anna embraced me. I felt safe for the first time since the disappearance. Life was normal, and the world stopped moving for a second. It was enough to…

“Well.”  My thoughts were interrupted by Anna's voice. “Have you checked under the sink?”  She questioned

“No, should I ?” I I answered. As I began to back away I stated, “ I don’t think she would even fit under there.”

“It is worth a try.” Anna’s voice picked up, and she grabbed my arm and pulled me into the house. She was motivated to find her daughter, and at this point, she was willing to do anything. While standing in the kitchen looking around, I finally mustered the courage to speak again. 

“Do you think she is in the attic or something?” I asked, because how would she be under the sink?

“No, I think you already know where she is, don't you?” Anna’s voice echoed throughout the house. 

Frantically I thought, why is she not helping me, why is Jamie not here, her phone is. This is too much, I’m going to just call the cops. They are more qualified for this right, What if… my thoughts were interrupted again.

“Under the sink” she stated, in a definite, one-hundred perfect sure kind of way.

“Excuse me.” I answered .

“Open the cabinets, under the sink.” she mumbled, losing the confidence she just had in her voice.

I opened the doors to discover …

JAMIE