Struck by Knife | Teen Ink

Struck by Knife

By Iranmgarcia, Oakland, California
Iranmgarcia, Oakland, California

Author's note:

I wrote this piece for my creative writing class. The assignment was to write a short story about anything we wanted. I've never written anything about murder and that it was a great opportunity to do something different. 

“I can't work with these incompetent people anymore. I put in the request for time off weeks ago and still nobody in the department has gotten back to me” I complained to my co-worker, Ab. I continued, “I don’t understand, it's not like I'm going on vacation. It's for a conference that might benefit the company”. After our conversation, I walked back to my cubicle. As I sat there I kept on thinking about this awful place, how much I hated working here but never done anything to fix it. Next month would be fifteen years of me working here. Fifteen years wasted on this dreadful place and it's not like anybody ever noticed all of the work I've put in over the years. I found it so hard going back to that grim place I called my home. If it wasn't for the other human being that lived there, I would love to live there.

Mary and I married twenty years ago, surprisingly because we were happy and in love. Now I'm not sure what I felt for her, it might have be hatred, resentment, or a mixture of both. At some point in our marriage, all that love I felt for her went away and disappeared. Now our marriage was as boring as filing taxes, no. My whole life had taken an ugly turn, every little thing in my life was infected with blandness. I found it easier to appease Mary then to cause an argument that always ended the same. It was impossible to ever win with her, even when it was clear I was right.

I turned to check what time it was, it read 5:00 pm. I made my way to the parking lot to get in my car. The drive there was relaxing for once there was no traffic. As I drove I focused on the surrounding blossoming flowers. I didn't even realize when I arrived home. Like always Mary’s came home first home and parked on the driveway and took over all the space. I had to park two streets away from the house.

“Thank god you finally came home, I thought you weren’t going to make it. Leslie and her husband invited us to dinner. Go shower now!”, is the first thing I heard walking in. Like always I obliged to her demand. I walked over to the bathroom and took the fastest shower to appease Mary and not cause an argument. I picked a blue shirt to hear from her that it made me look like I ate too many donuts. At that point I didn't care and acted like I didn't hear it. I picked brown pants to go with the shirt and my black dress pants.

The dinner went as expected, Mary talked the whole time and barely let me get a word in. Leslie and Max loved it and as always complimented her, not because they enjoyed what she was saying but they need a real estate agent and I hated to admit it but Mary was a good one. Around the same time, her career took off our marriage crashed and burned. She cared too much about what people thought of her and not about what I felt. After that awful dinner, we made our way back home. I went straight to the kitchen, I needed something that could help me relax from all the stupid things told to Mary about how amazing she was as a person. I thought was how far from the truth they were. Mary was worse than the devil, but like always I stayed quiet.

As I opened my beer, Mary came in complaining like always. “Tom you really need to change. I can’t be the wife of a telemarketer. My secretary just called to inform me that I'm being considered for a HomeLite Award. Do you understand how much of an honor that is? I'm about to be recognized for being the top real estate agent on the west coast. You need to look at a job that makes me look good.” I stayed in shock, she really thinks I'm the problem, me. “You know what, I'm done. I'm done with you okay. It's finally time we get a divorce”, I respond to her. “You really are an awful person and I can't believe that I loved you at some point.” As soon as I said it I regretted it completely. Mary turned red with anger and started to yell. That this point I didn't care I was too angry, too fed up with her to listen to what was coming out her mouth. I was too angry to realize that I had grabbed a knife from the table.

As I held the knife in my hand, I kept on thinking how easy it would be for her to disappear from my life completely and it would. So I did what I had to do.

I stabbed her once in the mid-abdomen, I stabbed her again now in the near the heart, and to finish it off I went for the throat. As soon as I pulled the knife out of her throat down the blood squirts, hitting me right in the face and she goes down. I had no idea how much blood a human had until Mary. My mind went directly to that one episode of Criminal Minds I saw on TV a couple of months ago. I always knew that show would come in handy one day. It makes up for all the time spent sitting on the couch, thinking about a life that was different from my miserable one. What I remember is that there was a man who had murdered someone and cut the body into small pieces to dispose of the body easier. The police never found the body, the man ended up getting caught by a small splatter of blood he didn’t clean up.

Mary’s uncle had given us a set of butter knives for our nineteen anniversary and they had been in the basement. While looking for the knife's I grabbed a couple of large trash bags. After I had everything I need, I made my way back upstairs to the kitchen. I laid the bags on a clean part of the kitchen floor and carried Mary’s dead body over to it. I thought that the bags would help for the cleanup and it did. After a few of trying to find the perfect knife to cut through bone it became easier.

Three hours passed for her body to be cut into two-inch cubes. The hard part came after, I had to figure out where I would throw her away. I didn’t know what would be better throwing all of her in lake or half in the lake and the other half in  a random trash can, but I realized that a lot of people go trash hunting and there was high chance someone would find her and recognize it was a body even though I did a pretty damn good job cutting her up. She didn't look like a human anymore, just many pounds of meat. The hardest part of the head, I didn't know what to do with it I knife wouldn't go through it so I had improvised. I used my hammer to crack her head and try to make it look like anything else but a human head. I think it worked for the most part.

Her whole body fit in two large trash bags perfectly. I also remember that the man used bleach to clean up the murder scene to make sure there was DNA leftover and that was exactly what I did. After cleaning everything up I decided to clean again, just to make sure I didn't leave anything behind that could incriminate me. I decided to drive to the late tonight and thought it would be better to go tomorrow night after work. Even though the last thing I wanted to do was go into work, but I had to make it seem like a regular day. I already had a story about Mary’s disappearance, actually, it was all thanks to Mary herself. My beautiful wife really thought that I had no idea she was cheating on me with one of her clients. I found out by some pictures I found he sent her and saved onto her icloud. Once I report her missing to the police, ill act like a scared loving husband part and let them know they can go over all of her belongings including her laptop and find the pictures. They’ll for sure think I'm the stupid sucker that was left by his wife to go with another man, giving me the perfect murder.