The Darkness | Teen Ink

The Darkness

By CookieSaysRawr, Dayton, Ohio
CookieSaysRawr, Dayton, Ohio

I'm a better me when I'm on my own

Author's note: I worked hard on it and hope it's enjoyed

sorry it's just a short story...and I'm still learning so I hope its not to confusing

“Come here child, come to the darkness” It said, I only being four left my bed to go toward the yellow eyes. My aunt however had also lived with us in my room and pulled me to her bed.

“Mom first, dad then, next auntie then little baby Jen” the yellow eyes had said in their scratchy voice before disappearing. I stood bewildered by what I had seen, floating yellow eyes in the dark of the hallway.

I’m 17 now and I remember it clearly but every time I bring it up with my aunt she tells me it was nothing but a crazed dog in the night and she whispered in my ear but I felt a connection to the…creature? Demon? Dog? It? She forces me to sleep with a night light and I’m home schooled so I have no friends, I also meet with a therapist every Monday and Friday to tell him what I feel and every meeting I tell him crazy, insane, like I shouldn’t be here. Every night after I take my pills I feel a presence watching me from a short distance as though it was right outside my door, then again my aunt, the homeschooling, and therapy makes me feel crazy I very well might be. I’ve kept a diary only recently documenting everything but pages are ripped out meaning it wasn’t new but an old one, and I’ve seen it before.

“JANEY IT’S TIME TO TAKE YOUR PILLS” My aunt had shouted to me, I walked down to her from our small isolated cabin only three blocks from town.

“Auntie my night-lights bulbs gone out” I said bored

“We’ll sleep together tonight” She suggested

“Auntieeeeeeeee” I whined
“Y-You can have mine tonight” She smiled while a tear rippled to her eyes
I fell asleep in peace but I woke up hearing my aunt scream in pain I got up but she screamed for me to stay away.
“JANEY THE DARKNESS STAY OUT OF THE DARKNESS, KEEP TO YOUR ROOM PLEASE KEEP TO YOUR ROOM BABY” She yelled
I was unsure of what to do but once the screaming stopped I saw two yellow eyes in the hallway outside my door, I jumped into bed curling my legs to my chest.
“Mom first, dad then, auntie next, then little baby Jane” They said and then disappeared. When I felt safe I turned on my light and then hallway strangely my aunt’s light was already I looked into her room and screamed. Her body was…split open at the rib cage, her face froze in pure terror, I knew it wasn’t a dog she had lied to me and whatever it was got her. I could have saved her. I called 911 on her cell as I sat on her floor shocked entirely. My aunt, my care taker, my only friend was here…..butchered in front of me.
I sat at her funeral watching them bury her, the police had told me I’d be into a foster home. They promised to find the thing that killed her but they too claimed a crazed dog had somehow gotten in and mauled her to death. I got all of her possessions but it wasn’t much just a locked brown box, and some jewelry, and all of our money.
The first few nights within the foster home were weird the girls were……unusual I suppose is the most adequate word, they spoke of demons, and drugs, they spoke of jail, and a place called juvenile hall, was this how most teens lived? I got use to them after a while but I still didn’t speak until after the second week of being there but just a little.
“My night-light went out…Mary” I said to the foster mom, everyone gasped and some giggled at me, but the shock was….overwhelming I guess.
“J-Jane, of course I’ll replace it tomorrow” She smiled, I shook my head in disagreement.
“Whatchu need a night-light for scared of the dark” Some girl laughed
“No, because when the light goes out a pair of yellow eyes comes to see me, and someone dies” I said tearing up a little
“Jane its only one night it’ll be okay” my roommate smiled, I found her the most kind hearted of the group, I nodded in agreement maybe everything will be okay.
I took my pills and went to bed happy that night until I heard an agonizing scream from across the hall, I turned on the light unsure of what to do. My roommate woke up only seconds later.
“Jane what’s going on” She asked, just as the screaming ceased, and a pair of yellow eyes left the room across the hall but this time I saw a slight figure….almost human like.
“Janey, Jane just doesn’t understand open the box and you’ll know me, open the box Janey and you’ll see” It…They…He said in a raspy voice before leaving.
“W-What was that, who was that?” My roommate asked
“I-I-I don’t know but come on” I said hopping out of bed and running across the hall, I turned on the light to find the girl who laughed at me dead and her roommate fast asleep and everyone else trampled in behind us….mostly because I screamed.
“Beth is deaf” My roommate explained, pulling my from the mean girls bed.
“Jane, Ally what-what happened” The foster mother asked
“we-we-we don’t know” Ally cried, I just stood no crying, no shock….It felt like I had been here more than once…as though it was my idea. I quickly lost all thoughts of it and Mary sent us all to sleep in her room for the night. I just stared into the hall await….him, would he come back? Would we talk more? What was he? Who was he? How did he know me? I saw him not long after going through all this in my head.
“Come here Janey, Jane, Janey” He beckoned
“No, wh-who are you” I whispered only so he could hear so that I wouldn’t wake my foster family.
“I told you to open the box” He said in his raspy voice, but he sounded slightly annoyed this time.
“What are…What can I call you?” I asked
“Oh Janey, Jane, Janey I’m many things but mostly I am darkness” He paused for a moment.
“Do you recall every seeing me in light? Janey Jane just open the box and you’ll understand everything” He said, He moved swiftly to the girl beside me and I saw evil glimmer in his eyes, then that agonizing scream. Not but seconds later did the light turn on but who was the scream coming from.
“JANE, JANE WHATS WRONG” Mary yelled
Me, I wasn’t screaming was I...I was unsure until I looked to my leg and clasped my hands over my mouth and the screams became muffled. He cut me, that demon cut me. The gash was big and I bled fast, I began to fade in and out so unsure of whether he was my friend or not one thing was for sure I had to open that box.
“Jane how are you feeling?” My therapist asked
“Fine” I said, it was a week since the accident and I was still bandaged up, the gash had led to my bone.
“Jane what did you see?” He asked
“The yellow eyes, he told me he was The Darkness” I said
“Jane are you sure you weren’t dreaming?” He asked
“I was wide awake” I said leaning in my chair bored of the conversation.
“Okay well Jane I’ll get you Friday” He said as Mary walked in, I nodded and left.
We sat in the car silently for a long time until she finally spoke.
“Jane why don’t you talk to me or the girls” She asked, I only shrugged.
“Jane, do you like it at the foster home?” She smiled, I nodded
“Jane please talk to me” She pleaded, I looked in her eyes and pouted a bit.
“What’s the point?” I asked
“To get to know each other” She smiled
“Why, I’ll only be leaving you all in a year” I said annoyed
“Yes but….Jane I-“She herself grew speechless and we rode home silent. I walked to my room and opened the box, but I didn’t read any of the diary entries for they looked as though they were done by a child. I found a necklace with a diamond ring tied to it and a man’s wedding band…must be mothers and fathers I thought and tied it around my neck, thinking of them as just a memory. I looked in the box and saw more childish things and that was it, nothing more, nothing less. I put the papers back and went out to the back yard to swing. I swung thinking of the diary excerpts and who they were done by…mother perhaps the pictures where well formatted, so I came to the conclusion that they belong to her.
I stayed out until supper time, the girls gossiped among themselves and I just listened.
“So Jane…Why so afraid of the dark?” A girl named Fantalia asked
“I’m not afraid” I state simply
“So what up with the night light then?” She giggled, the conversation began to anger me
“Because, it was requested by my Aunt that I keep it on at all times in the night” I hissed annoyed
“Whatever girlie, and you better watch your temper” She smirked, as did I but I stood.
“Or what you’ll cut me in my sleep, steal from me? Fight me maybe? CHILDISH crap you’re trying to pull. I know better Mrs. Tough nuts, you’re afraid of things but you won’t confess so you’re trying to pull some stupid move and claim I’m the one who’s afraid, but REALITY CHECK TIME, your low down and filthy, you should be embarrassed to be the way you are, but go on play tough a little longer, watching you fall will be a great honor” I smirked in her face, she was speechless
“Nothing more to say huh? I’ll be retiring” I said walking off to bed….DANG I forgot my pill…oh well what’s one night without it?
“Janey you’ll always be my friend” Darkness purred…but he, he was white with the same yellow eyes.
“Promise?” A little girl said bouncing up and down, always.
“Janey who are you talking to” Mother said opening the door, I saw darkness run but she already saw him and screamed.
“MICHAEL, MICHAEL HELP” She yelled
“Wait, I’m harmless, I’m friend to Jane” He said
“NOT ANYMORE YOU EVIL RAT, GET OUT NOW” She screamed louder, just as the man called Michael ran in
“No mommy, he’s my friend” The girl cried, I looked over to him and saw his light angel like skin turn black and him jump out the window into the darkness outside.
“Janey you are NEVER to talk to the…person again….he looked dangerous” The father said
“He’ll come back but this time…he promised to always be my friend” She said throwing a fit on the floor.
I woke up in a cold sweat….what was that about? Was I madder than I truly seemed? Was there something wrong with me? I shook all feelings and darted back to sleep, a restless sleep. In the morning I woke up to screaming, I ran to the noise only to find that Beth was dead…it was gruesome and I was stunned her eyes had been sown shut as well as her lips, her ears had pencils shoved through them, and her nose was ripped off, I cried thinking about the poor girls death only to hear a moan, we all looked to see Beth sit up squirming as though gasping for air so I did the first thing I thought of and with all my force I ripped her mouth open as the blood squirted to my face I let go knowing she could breath. I looked at her face seeing the stiches still restricting her lips from moving farther than they had already been ripped, I broke down looking at the blood I was drenched in.
“Jane…Jane it’s okay” Mary spoke to me
“Sh-she I-I” I pulled my legs up to my chest and cried
“You saved her life honey it’s okay” She whispered, I still heard Beth in the background, I was going mad I had to be she…she…who…how. I’ll never forget the horrible sights I saw, or what I did.
Beth was sent to the hospital and I was asked questions by the police, they said I saved her and called me a hero but I felt as though it was my fault. When I got back from the police station Mary had made spaghetti and meat balls….wow great choice “mom”. I couldn’t stomach the food so I took my pill and headed to bed but not before I heard the raspy voice.
“Shame shame Beth suffers more, the innocent child is ruined for life…read the entries, read the diary entries” It said, and I fell asleep after.

I had woken up in the middle of the night meaning my pill had worn off, I didn’t think taking it early would make a difference, I looked into the hallway and saw the yellow eyes they seemed to glare at me.
“What” I whispered
“You dreamed of me” He stated simply
“I-I did no such thing” I said
“hiding from the truth won’t do you any good, Oh Janey read the entries I promise it’ll all be over soon, but read the pages” He said and he smiled closing his eyes and all I saw were bloody teeth, I screamed and he disappeared. Mary ran down the hall.
“What is it Jane?” She asked worriedly
“TURN ON THE LIGHT, IT’S BACK I SAW THE YELLOW EYES IT’S TEETH WERE BLOODY” I shouted, she did as told and on the floor was a heart still beating meaning the nerves had yet to give out, and on the bed next to mine was Ally and the girl I told off at dinner the other night, intestines tied together, mouths cut into a Joker smile, and sockets hollowed out.
“ALLY NO” I yelled running to her mangled body, Mary grabbed me and pulled me to her chest.
“Shhhh its okay, but dear God Jane you have to tell me what you saw” She begged again
“I saw yellow eyes and bloody teeth in the hall” I cried
“This is getting out of hand….Jane what happened?” she asked
“I woke up from my pills and then saw the eyes and mouth and I screamed to afraid to move, and that’s when you came in and, and then-“My voice stopped and I just pointed at the dreaded scene before me.
“You didn’t hear any screams?” She asked
“Did you? If they were screaming we all would’ve heard wouldn’t we of” I said, Mary was starting to make me suspicious was she blaming me? Or did she know something?
“S-sorry I wasn’t thinking right” She said.
The normal thing happened cops came and questioned….although by now shouldn’t they have a suspects by now? Something is wrong, I mean it’s just weird all the girls are dead….except Beth and I, but Beth is still in the hospital so it’s just me. The police left and I sat in the room Beth was tortured in.
The next day was slow I just stayed in and read all day and to make it worse there was a storm. Mary had left so I sat in the living room reading To Kill a Mockingbird, I don’t know why but I had the strange urge to read the letters….W-what could be hidden within them. I walked up the stairs, the house was silent except for the noise of it setting. I made it to my room still covered in blood it scared me but I went to my bed and reached under it to grab the box, the lights flickered…crap I have to make this fast before the power goes out. I grabbed a candle and lighter just in case and opened the box I read the first letter.
Dear diary,
It is May 26,2002 kindness or Light came over to play, he said mommy and daddy can’t know we play, I don’t know why but he’s my only friend and I want to keep him.

Love, Janey
So these where the missing pages from my current diary…but who is kindness? I reached to one with a picture of a black devil on it and read that hoping for an explanation.
Dear diary,
Its January 7, 2002 kindness is turning black, we don’t get to see each other as much since mommy and daddy said we can’t hang out. He said not to call him kindness anymore but Darkness I don’t understand he’s scaring me. He only comes at night, he says the light hurts him so he can only visit at night. He said sorry for ruining your new year. I’m 13 and I think Kindness can’t be my friend anymore. I told him and he got angry and said he wasn’t sorry anymore then left.

Love, Janey<3me<3
What could he have…mom…dad I cried hoping it wasn’t what I thought. I looked through more letters until I found the one I needed but before I could read it the power went out, I grabbed the lighter and candle and lit it as fast as I could, when it was lit I read the entry by the candle light.
Dear diary,
Darkness killed mommy and daddy….he’s become a monster and I’ve become scared of him. Auntie told me we’d be moving and I had to star living differently. Everything felt bad
Janey
I cried, that’s all I could do my memories where all in this box and yet after all I’ve read it was all still so confusing.
“Let me clarify” Darkness said, but he sounded sad
“You created me, out of the loneliness…I was your protector and I became real. Janey I killed what hurt you, or what took you from me. I killed everyone and now I want to play a game of hide and seek but there’s a twist…In this game you’ll fine three things…an answer, a truth, and a fear” He said, lightening up.
“Okay” I said, walking out of the room.
“one last thing Janey we’ll be playing in the dark, the truth lies on the first floor, the answer on this one, and a fear on the third…but I warn you if you fail I get to keep you” He laughed showing his teeth and he brought his face close to the other side of the candle and blew it out, I was alone in the dark. I waited for my eyes to adjust before I headed to the first floor. I had fallen down the stairs due to the fact that I couldn’t see anything, I made my way to the living room as carefully as possibly, once I had made it there I heard muffled screams and….what sounds like hand-clapping.
“Good job, you’ve found truth Mary care to explain?” Darkness had turned on a dim lantern and I saw her tied up standing on a table with a rope around her neck and a tall dark….smoking figure behind her whispering in her ear, after a minute he takes the gag from her mouth.
“Tell her” He hissed
“Jane…I’m the one who tried to kill Beth, I’m the one who had sown her lips and mouth shut, I took her nose off and plugged her with glue, I shoved the pencils in her ear because I hate her…how can someone live a life not hearing or speaking it’s unnatural, it’s not perfect and you-you were meant to be n-“ Her voice stopped as he removed the table from beneath her, I fell to my knees unsure of what I had heard.
“You thought it was me…Jane I’m here to protect you, to be your only friend Beth was hardly a threat at all, Mary wanted a perfect world you’d be next because of your independence and therapy…Jane I love you darling if it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t exist” He had said smiling, I was afraid of my only friend…how could this be?
“Are you what lies on the third floor?” I asked, hoping to end the game but he ignored still watching Mary struggle to breathe until he smiled and I saw him skin boiling and body smoking he-he slashed at her throat with his long nails, I screamed and fell to the floor looking as he butchered her I saw her intestines pour out and last I saw her heart fall to the floor, I had thrown up at the sight.
“Sorry Janey I just couldn’t let this be a clean kill but it’s a good one, and you know it is” He paused for a moment then continued.
“Go now for your answer you have three minutes to get to me” He said turning out the light.
I ran to the second floor thrashing in and out of rooms afraid to do lose the game. I found him in Beth’s room with thirty seconds left to spare.
“Good job Jane, took you forever but stupendous job” He smirked, I nodded and sat on the bed across from him…well I tried it still being dark I sat on the edge of the bed and slid to the floor. He laughed showing his teeth, but then he narrowed his piercing yellow eyes and spoke.
“I’m you, you idiot the darkness inside you, I was the kindness that you fed the world and you may not have seen it but your heart became black, you didn’t feel right, you where abnormal and what happened I became black I boil in the light and you…You let me become the bitter memory within you, I never went away though, even when you forgot I STAYED JANE, I’M HERE JANE, I’M YOU, I’M THE ONLY THING YOU NEED” He yelled the last part in a demonic voice that made my heart nearly stop from fear.
“I’m sorry I-I-“
“Go find your fear…I’ll give you a hint it’s the thing that hides deep within you the thing that scares you most” And with that he was gone
I wondered carefully to the attic and he was there, just sitting looking at a white sheet…that must be what I need. I pulled off the sheet and the lights turned on and a mirror stood, Darkness hissed at the light but I just stared in the mirror.
“You created me as darkness in your teen years by not fully accepting yourself, you lied to yourself” He hissed as comments played off in my head ‘loser’, ‘abnormal’, ‘freak’, ‘fraidy-cat’ ‘baby’, I swiftly looked away at Darkness who was sweating or seemed to be, I was going to let him suffer but I needed to know more so I shut off the light.
“Am I bad?” I asked
“Janey…no, you like everyone else have a madness inside of you that you cannot control” He said, his face now to mine.

Hello reader, I understand your need for closure and I’m sorry but this is it…no one knows what happened to Jane or Darkness it’s up for you to find out. Some say he cheated her, some say he killed her…me? Well I say the story is about you, the madness you hide within you trying to break free, the horror of what you could be…but what has mostly been said Jane was killed by Kindness.

Sincerely,

Bethany Roberts

His face sitting so close to mine scared me so I backed away.

“Janey I said I’d forever protect you” He smirked and lit the room instantly with dim candles. Bodies fell from the ceiling, the bodies of my foster sisters the all fell to the ground and each one rose. I fell back when one of them swung there arms scratching my face, I felt half my cheek fall to the floor and blood gush out.
“When you’re dead I’ll be free off this horrid planet cause no one will know about me” He said, as my dead sisters clawed at my skin, making me bleed, tearing me apart.
“What?” I asked curious
“I not only killed them for you, but for me I go wherever the last memory goes so if you die and go to the afterlife…I get to go with you, just you and me forever” He smiled, but I laughed remembering when I went to the hospital with Beth.
“Why are you laughing Jane? Excited” He asked
“One vital detail to your fantasy” I said looking to see sunrise, and my final words to him before my sisters had ripped my arms off of my body and my guts where pulled out where simple and deadly…well to him because he had nowhere to run, he’d boil to his demise before he could get to her and from what I understood he’d be first created of her purity.
“Beth knows I TOLD HER EVERYTHING” I yelled laughing like a maniac, then taking one last gasp of breath before I was gone
Hello reader I assumed you might enjoy closure while this may not be true there was a picture found of Jane and beside her was a black face…or what appeared to be it looked as though his mouth was mound together and his eyes melted shut and on the back it held the very famous statement BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, the statement leaves you to wonder…what happened to darkness? Do we all have our own? I’ll put no moral to my story but I’ll leave you to a with a statement every child has heard before, don’t be afraid of the dark.

Sincerely,

Bethany Roberts

yeah this one might be A bit more loose sorry

His face so close to mine, I became frightened but then the police came into the room, but the weird thing is they took me, they attacked me but why, I took one last glimpse at darkness and the bodies.
“WHY DID YOU KILL THEM?” He yelled for the thousandth time.
“I-I didn’t it was the tall figure in there with me” I cried, and my therapist walked in.
“I never thought it would go this far, I’m sorry officer but Jane she’s skitzofranic” He said
“H-H-How am I skitzofranic, wouldn’t I know?” She asked
“Jane even we don’t fully understand it, and after he said, then I fainted.
I woke up and the room was on fire I held a lighter and the back of a metal chair, darkness stood at my side and I laughed, I laughed insanely as Darkness stood smiling, this was blissful.
Hello reader, Jane was taking to a mental facility for the criminally insane and later died there yelling about how he was her, how he’d never leave, how her best-friend meant everything. The facility caught fire and no one made it out alive, it was a strange fire no evidence found, the fire was spontaneous and happened in the dead of night...you know they built a house over the rubble and sometimes you can hear the laughter of two people, one is demonic and another is girly, and just strange.
If you wonder how Jane accomplished this let me clarify. Jane when under her spell of insanity would gag the victims so no sound would come out, she would then kill them and hide the bodies no one had ever actually seen it was her imagination, the voice in her head wasn’t real…or maybe it was just a piece of her trying to escape all I know is that I survived from the one thing I know is true, and I owe it all to Mary.

Yours truly,

Bethany Roberts (Beth)