Wendrenhood | Teen Ink

Wendrenhood

February 16, 2012
By KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
More by this author
KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
3 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."


Author's note: I'm still working on it and am adding on every day. Please comment on anything and tell me how you like it.

The author's comments:
I'm just giving important character details that will lead up to an important meeting. Tannin is one of many evil creatures trying to harness Amilynn's powers.

The slats on the small door rattled under a banging fist.

"Hold on, I'm coming..." yelled the old farmer from the back part of his home. He shrugged into his tunic that lay on the large wooden table where he and his family ate their meals. His wife had mended his shirt the night before and his many children were beginning to stir with the small sounds of patting feet and giggles. The farmer opened the old door as the fist began to pound on the wood. "What's the hurry," he grumbled.

A man of great stature stood in his doorway, a long sword hung at his belt, and a dark cloak shadowed the features of the strangers face. What little sun did shine this early in the morning would not have been able to show the man's face under all the cloth of the cloaks he wore. Those cloaks billowed around him in the breeze that had been dying from a previous storm that had ravaged the small town. "I've come for the girl," and with that he stepped into the smokey room, knocking passed the old farmer. His wife came into the cluttered room carrying a child, her eyes cast down on the floor.

"Who are you?"

The stranger ignored the blind woman and started to walk to the kitchen were several children had gathered to gawk. His hand lay on the glittering hilt while he eyed each child carefully. He was here to find the girl. "Where is the girl who is not to be yours?"

The farmer had just started to get over the fact that the cloaked stranger had invaded his home. Meanwhile his wife's voice had risen in pitch with her panic. Her voice cut the old mans heart like a dagger, his breath caught in his chest and he thought, surely I will die here today.

Suddenly, a very handsome boy clambered down the stairs that led from the loft. He hadn't nearly seen two decades, if that, but he pulled a dull sword and pointed the blade at the intruder. His dark hair and eyes seemed even darker in the light of the hearth while he studied the strange man standing in his home. "Leave, Stranger. We don't want trouble."

"Then put your sword away,child. I am only seeking a female child who belongs with me. I've searched for her and I know she is here, somewhere." The stranger had a thick accent, but spoke clearly enough. His voice rang through the house and cut through all the chatter. The house now lay in a thick fog of silence. "She would be nearing her nineteenth birthday on the full moon. Her coming here was an accident by an incompetent comrade who was defeated by a horde of draggs in the foothills. So, I ask again, where is she? I truly do not wish to harm, you or your family, Farmer.

The farmer had started shaking, his pride and joy was going to be stripped away from him. His beautiful daughter, taken y this stranger, but yet he could not risk getting the rest of his family injured or killed. In the his heart he knew that this day would eventually come. Children of specialties are not left by coincidence. "She's out in the forest behind the house. There's a path that will lead you right to her." His wife had begun weeping and now let out a wail that made him cringe. She had never seen the girl, but she had brought back the life in the old man's wife that no one else could. He staggered to his wife and held her hand as the stranger turned to leave. The young boy who had pulled his sword now lunged at the cloaked man.

With one smooth movement the stranger caught the blade with his hand and knocked the boy on his rear. The sword clattered to the ground a foot away. The boy looked as if he was going to cry, but the stranger did not hesitate to continue on his way out of the home. He expected much more violence or struggle from the family so his job was made easy. He truly did not want to kill the family. He knew that before the next full moon his men will have to do that job, but the man was glad that the debt of life would not be on his hands tonight. Outside the sun had spread some glow on the world, and his horse waited impatiently as the man swiftly climbed onto it's slick back. Tannin, the servant of Lady Morgan, had found the princess, Amilynn, of Wendrenhood and would now be able to go back to his family, his dept repaid.

Tannin, quickly finding the well worn path that the princess had taken, clicked at his horse to continue forward. He had known that the man had not been lying. His gift was reading minds, and his infinity was with the spirit as knowing the truth when spoken came naturally. There was no way that any human man could lie to him and that assurance had never led him astray. He could still hear the cries of the blind woman and her family. Tannin could not help but feel sorry for her, she was losing a child she had never seen, and her husband was not far from the grave if he had to take a guess. The two had many children together so the woman would not be alone and the farm would be tended to. Why was he worried about this family, maybe he needed a break from work. Ya, all he needed was time with his own family. The path was easy enough to follow as the sun filtered through the trees, casting long shadows across the way. He wondered if she would run and hide. He smiled to himself and thought about how that would make for an exciting hunt. His horse grunted and began to move a little faster up a slight hill. The trees began to grow thicker, but that was not what the horse was anxious about. About twenty yeards up the path was a beautiful mare. Her coat was solid white, her mane was braided with flowers woven in, and her coat was clean and well kept.

Silently, Tannin slid off his pure black stallion and began stalking the trail for any signs of the young lady. He would have to use the element of surprise to catch her, but he could persuade her as well. His mind reading powers doubled and mind controlling, but he was told that his powers may not effect her at all. He would just have to find out for himself. He lowered himself closer to the ground, his footsteps making no sounds on the wet earth. His eyes were straining to catch any movement as he approached a ring of trees. Sure enough, the girl lay across a large stone slab that jutted out of the ground. The birch trees that formed a circular wall around her shielded her vision from him. The girl was beautiful with long sun golden locks that fell well past her slender shoulders. He bare feet swung over the edge of the rock in a innocent manner, her hands folded against her chest where her bosom was hidden under folded layers of a green flowing dress. She was slender and lean, but had a delicate and fragile look. Tannin was not yet close enough to see her facial features, but he was going to have to make his move before she notices his presence.

The author's comments:
Ami, Amilynn is the main character.

Amilynn had always been different and now that she was turning nineteen, a woman, she was going to have to go through the the Blood Moon Festival. A festival for all the virgin women to dance around and show off for possible suitors. Men from all the neighboring villages would come and she knew that many would want her. She just did not wish to marry them. She always felt out of place here, even though she could never love her family any more, she somehow wondered if she belonged elsewhere. Her heart always pulled her into the forest where she could be alone with nature. Her sanctuary always provided her shelter and with all the years she had come to the sanctuary not a single one of her brothers or sisters could enter the circle of birch trees. They had all told her that it was magic,but she had always thought them as being scared until a hunter had tried to stalk her like prey. She could still remember his rough hands pulling at her clothes, the awful stench of mead and urine stench coming from his dirtied clothes. She had screamed and lashed out, but what she did had no effect on the savage man. Her strength failed her, but a wolf came to her aid. A she-wolf had jumped the man, biting and clawing. She struggled back away from the gruesome scene and watched the man stagger away just to be attacked repeatedly by her protector.

Ami shut her eyes against the rising sun, feeling its warmth kiss her skin. She always enjoys the simple pleasures of spring such as the beautiful sunrises, gentle breezes, and light rains that touched the land around her. She stretched out on the cold stone, feeling it's frigidness from the storms earlier awakened her senses. Her shoes lay on the ground next to her blue cloak. Her white gown fell around her like a blanket of snow and while her necklace lay between her breasts. Ami lay on the rock daydreaming about what her life will become in the near future when she heard a faint sign behind her. Reaching out with her pale hand she just felt the fur of on her fingertips. Shasta sat grumpily down beside Ami and nuzzled her out stretched hand. "Aren't you up early?" Ami giggled as the Shasta yawed. Her wolf stretched and bounded off to the north, probably going to find a meal. The silence the wolf brought did not proceed to leave as Shasta did, but lingered. Not very many animals stayed around when the she-wolf wandered around, but it is a fact of life. Ami laughed at her companion and rolled on her side. She felt the cool stone against her cheek and was surprised that a single tear had found a way from her eye. Feeling the tear tickle its way down her face and onto the stone's surface caught Ami's attention. When was the last time she had cried? Ami could not remember, but there was the proof that someone around her was upset. She always knew, Ami could feel it inside her and the odd weariness that came with it. Fear, sadness, and desperation made their way into her heart. Blocking out the person's pain was Ami's only source of relaxation, but the nagging feeling settled into her gut. Something was wrong, very wrong indeed. Sighing and closing her eyes to the sound of nature Ami began her search through the different spirits around her. Many of the animals hid in dins while the birds were chattering and spreading their wings for an early morning flight. People in the Village of Lumbridge were just beginning to awaken, but her home, she found, was the source of inner turmoil. Maybe her mother had scolded one of her younger sisters. The young ones cried so often that it made Ami's head hurt just thinking about it. Immediately Ami shut down her empathy skills and relaxed her mind as she would any other day. She was going to sleep for a while in the sanctuary before heading back home to help with the housework. Her mother thinks that the housework is never finished well by her sisters and always ends up cleaning up after them. Her blind mother just could not keep up anymore. Ami felt like she needed to be home and the despair of people began to grow. Excitement? Maybe the calf was finally born, or the merchants were coming early this year. Sensing that someone was watching her she lay still on her perch. Who was this? This spirit was clouded like a coming rainstorm. It thundered with greed, jealousy, and lust. Her heart began to pound hard in her chest and she held her breath for what seemed like hours. Was this person watching her? She could not tell and was frightened to find out. Whoever was out there was a stranger, and that was not a good sign. When she released her breath she froze, hoping that her breath only sounded loud compared to the thundering of her heart.

Ami struggled with herself. She did not know whether she was in danger or not. Her family was not injured or in physical pain, but she knew that whoever this person was had caused the fear. Maybe this man was a vampire.

The author's comments:
Tristan is Ami's secret lover from the past, and will have an important role later on.

"I am ready, Father," A young warrior knelt at the Lord's feet. "Please, it is all I wish for my twentieth birthday." Tristan bowed his head deeply and awaited his answer.

"And who will accompany you on your quest, my son? I can not send my only heir out in the wilderness alone." The old king's face was weathered from any years of sun and battles, dark shadows lingering under his eyes as if he had not slept in ages. Looking at his queen with knowing eyes, the king stood. "Rise, my son, and walk with me."

Tristan stood tall and took the crook of his father's arm. Off they went through the lounging room. Their feet echoing against the cold stone floor. The aging king, Gregor, led his son through a labyrinth of hallways and passages that led them past sever rooms of question. "Where is it that we are going? I do not wish to be a bother. All I want is to find her..." His voice lowered when his father stopped in front of the ancient doors into a dungeon of sorts. "What is this place?" Tristan's voice sounded eerily louder in the dimly lit arch way.

'This is our ancestors resting place. A home for us Vampires to learn from the Great Elders. Please, do enter." His voice no longer shook with age, but seemed to grow stronger. "My father and his father have come here for centuries to learn of new things, futures, battle strategies, and such. I believe that you are ready to learn of our peoples' ways."

"Yes, Father." Tristan could feel the power being emitted through the door. Grabbing onto the thick iron handle, he pulled. Surprisingly enough, the door had swung freely for how heavy the wood is. Hands shaking slightly, and heart hammering against his rib, while stepping into the darkness that held all the secrets Tristan breathed in deeply. He looked back at his father who stood in the doorway. Gregor nodded his approval and turned to leave. Tristan had dreamed of this day, and now he would drink up all the information he could. This would allow him to see so much more. The power he will gain from the Great Elders will aid him in his journey to find his lost bride.

Tristan light the hundreds of candles with a simple flick of his finger. Fire, his powerful element, obeying his will and surged through Tristan's body. Smiling to himself he crossed over the circle and began kneeling in front on the five pillars. Each representing a fall Vampire Elder, and each with a separate element of power. Evoking the Fire Lord first, Tristan bowed deeply as a manifestation glimmered to life. The heat and light was sending a fiery blast through Tristan's muscles,but it did not seem to harm him.

"Please, My Lord, I have come here to learn." Tristan's voice did not sound like his own, but strong and confident, unlike what he was feeling inside. His stomach swam with anxiety of what he would find here. This was a place he had wanted to visit since he was old enough to talk.

"Young Prince, I have much to teach, and you have much to learn, but a sacrifice must be made to pay the price my knowledge carries. Blood is the fire that keeps all bodies working, so blood will be the currency," A voice that seemed to have no gender and no body spoke from the candle light. Tristan could feel the hot breeze on his face.

"Then blood it shall be." Taking out a small dagger that Tristan carried in his boot, he cut the shape of a half moon into the flesh of his left hand. Wincing as a mysterious blue fire replaced the drops of blood that fell to the marble floor,Tristan began seeing the face ad body of a shape shifting vampire elder. His hands were shaking slightly, but he knew that this was going to make him able to find his love.

"Your blood is strong, my dear boy. Take my hand and you will find who you seek." The blue fire took the form of a curvy woman clothed in silk, her hair draping down past her waist. She held out a slender hand to him and looked into Tristan's eyes. "I will protect you from harm."

As his hand touched her's he felt himself being thrown from his body. A terrible pain manifested in Tristan's head,but yet he held on. The darkness around him began pulsing with his heart beat and a nausea caused him to squeeze his eyes shut. Taking a deep but ragged breath he pried his eyes open, but to his surprise a field of wheat lay ahead of him. A man riding a horse was traveling down a dirt road that had not been traveled in many years. Tristan did not understand this vision, but he kept watching.

The man was holding a small girl to him, her hands were tied, and her face was all but covered by a dark cloak. She had tears running down her pale skin, but she did not cry out. Tristan was not sure what this had to do with him, but he ducked down further in the thick brush beside the road to get a better look, and to not get spotted himself. What was this? Tristan felt his hand going for his sword but then realized that he only had on his robes. His sword and other weapons were nowhere to be seen. A sudden feeling of anger rushed over Tristan as the horseman rode nearer. Not only was the girl tied up, but she was tied to the rider. With his enhanced eyesight he could make out the unmistakable emerald eyes of the girl, and she turned to look straight into his. The brilliance of her stare took Tristan's breath away. This girl was the one who appeared in his dreams. The girl who had been promised to him. Trying to step out into the road to go after his bride, a harsh force kept him in place. He could not move nor make a sound, and the eagerness to attack was taken away as he was ripped from the scene to another. This one took him to a place of peace, similar to the sanctuary courtyard at the church. Birch trees forming a circle around a meadow that was untouched by humans was this place of peace and tranquility. A large, native rock protruded from the earth like a hand cradling the same girl he had seen before. Amilynn, sitting on the rock, looking like and angel with her golden hair and angelic face. Her green eyes pierced into her's. "I have never seen you here before. What is your name?" Amilynn's voice was clear and gentle. Her eyes were questioning, but the smile she wore was more radiant than Tristan had ever witnessed.

"My, my name is Price Tristan of the Moorg, son of..." Tristan was silenced by the giggles that escaped Ami's pink lips.

"You don't need to finish. I just wanted to know your name, Tristan.Hmm, Tristan, I think that I've heard that somewhere. Have we met?" She stood, and took a step closer.

Tristan could not staring at her. Her beauty was radiant and her charm was filling him with a deep joy. "I believe we have, yes, but maybe we should not linger on the past. Where are we?"

"You don't even ask my name... You're a curious one, Tristan. If I may," The prince nodded, "How does a prince travel without knowing where his feet are taking him?" She took another step closer, studying him. Tristan, straightening his shoulders, replied "If I may, m'Lady, what would a young woman such as yourself be doing in the wilderness by herself?" He could not help but smile when Ami grinned. "Are you not afraid?"

"Of course I am not afraid. What is there to worry about when only the pure intended can enter here. My name is Amilynn, by the way, and a young woman, such as myself, can roam wherever her heart wishes." She walked around Tristan. Looking him up and down she seemed curious. "You are surely not a human, but your spirit is pure and strong. May I ask what kind of a man are you, or is that too personal. I have never met a prince before." She stopped in front of Tristan, her eyes probing his for any sign of emotion. She was so close that he could smell her, like the scent of sweet flowers and Spring. Wanting to touch her skin he brushed a stray strand of hair from in front of her eye. She did not flinch at his touch and did not move away. Tristan wondered if she could hear his heart beating as he could. "You are not like most."

"No, I am a vampire, but please do not worry. I am not here to harm you or anyone. We are much more civilized than some take us for." Tristan wanted to grab her, to take her home, but he knew he could not within this vision. "I am your protector."

"Well,... I've never met a vampire before." Ami bowed deeply with an amazing amount of grace. When she straightened she took his hand and led him to the center of the meadow. Tristan was confused by her reaction. He had expected her to run, to be afraid, but she instead was taking him to where she had been sitting in the warm sunlight. He noticed that she was younger here than earlier. Her small voice pulled him from his own thoughts. "You seem sad..." She frowned and it took everything that Tristan had not to pull the girl into his arms. She seemed so small, so vulnerable.

His blue eyes met hers, "I am sad because I know that I will not be able to stay long."

"Will your parents miss you?"

"Yes, I will be missed if I stay, but I am very glad to have met such a nice girl, Ami."

"How do you..." Amilynn never finished what she was going to ask because Tristan was shoved into another vision.

Fire was consuming two carriages. Tristan choked on the billowing clouds of smoke. A horrible smell of burnt flesh was filling his nostrils as he struggled to get his barrings. Men were barking orders, but he could hear the grumbled slander of draggs. Demon-like creatures, walking the world t night and feeding on souls. Usually these creatures are easy to overcome, but there was not just one or two, but about twenty. No arrow or sword was going to kill these foul demons. Fire, that's why there was fire, but it had gotten out of hand. A young girl lay crying over a fallen comrade. Tristan coughed as he crawled over bodies and rubble to the girl. Her green eyes were filled with tears and her trembling lip made Tristan's heart ache with an almost unbearable pain. She was maybe four or five summers old, dressed in all silver and blue. Her necklace shinning with a dull blue that radiated light with her heartbeat. Tristan reached out for her, but his hand clutched air as he was thrown into his own body. Gasping for air, Tristan was struggling to focus on the candle lit room around him. His hand ached,but the images of Amilynn repeated in his mind. She had needed him, she was hurt. Where was she now? What did all those things mean? His head was exploding with pain, but staggering over to a pitcher that held a rich red wine he drank his strength back. After a few minutes of resting Tristan thanked the Fire Elder and went to kneel in front of the Water Elder. He lit a candle and waited in the circle carved into the floor. "Please guide me in my learning." he whispered. "and wash your knowledge over me."

A sudden peace filled Tristan and fed his aching heart. His pain released, and his strength returned he was ready to face another venture into the spirit world.

The author's comments:
Ami is just realizing that she is not a human, and the vampire who has taken her captive is realizing that she's gaining her powers.

Ami woke in a sitting up position, and moving. Her head pounding a steady rhythm with her heart beat that seemed to loud for her ears. She had a thick black cloak around her, covering her body and all but her eyes on her face. She cold not really focus on much for what seemed like hours. The corners of her eyes kept fading to black and her head felt to heavy, but whoever had her had tied her hands together. The rope cut into her flesh, sending sharp pains up her arms as the horse took them on a trail she had never seen before. They were headed for a narrow part of the path with trees and bushes on one side. She thought she saw a bit of movement, but could not be sure. The man behind her tightened his grip around her waist and forced her even closer. Ami thought about her family and about her home. She knew that they couldn't have gone too terribly far, and her family would start looking. People would come after her, and rescue her. Now as they neared the trees she could not see a person, but she could feel a soul near her. It was a familiar spirit, but she could not place it. Then when her and the rider were about half way between the hill and the trees she saw him. A handsome man with curly brown hair, brown eyes and a confused look on his face. Was he going to save her, but as soon as she looked into his eyes he vanished. She felt his soul leave, but it was unlike when a person dies. He left completely, but in her heart she knew that he was alright.

Ami thought about the man for a little longer, but the nagging pain in her wrists and the constant pull at her waist was pulling her attention from the man in the bushes,and more to how she was going to get away. The black rider had sped up his horse since nightfall was not to far away. Ami wondered if he was going to set up camp or if they'd continue riding. She really did not know how much more she could take.

She slowly nodded off into a deep sleep that offered her a strange peace of mind. Her mind drifted back to the man, how he had looked at her. She knew his face, but could not place just where she had seen him. Maybe she had met him in the market, but then why was she so interested in him. His eyes. Those eyes captured her heart and bore itself into her memory. Then her dream began to form itself around Ami as all her dreams did.

A castle was erecting itself around Ami. She was standing in a doorway to what looked like a library. It was well lit with candles, but no fireplace or windows. She smelled some kind of incense that was usually burned at the chapel near her home. A table set with bread and cheeses, wine, and fruit she had never seen before lay ahead of her, but she did not touch any of it even though her stomach begged her to. Senses telling her that she was not alone here had her lurking around. She did not want to be captured in her dream as well. Moving further into the darker part of the room she found an alter. By its base a man knelt in silent prayer, and Ami knew that this was no ordinary dream. The man who had watched her from the road was kneeling on the ground. Not wanting to startle the man she cleared her throat quietly. The man did not respond so she whispered "Sir?"

She began reaching out to touch his shoulder when she noticed the tears falling onto the floor. The man was crying, but he did not seem to know she was watching or did not care. Ami felt as if she was spying on him, but as she turned to go he reached out to take her hand. The touch sent a shock all the way up her arm and seemed to burn her. Ami gasped as she woke in her body. She was lying down, but still tied up. The an who had captured her was staring. He prying eyes bore into hers with such an intensity. Ami thought she was going to be sick with all the tingling she was feeling throughout her entire body. Her necklace grew hot against her skin, leaving welts where it touched her soft skin. Ami felt as if she could not breath with the necklace against her chest, the silver feeling extremely heavy. she tried to roll and pull her hands free, but the rope only pulled tighter,all the while the stranger sat and watched her. Ami cried out as the moon shown down on her through a small opening in the canopy above her. What was going on? Her hands felt like they were on fire, he heart felt as if it was going to beat right out of her chest, and the ropes began to make her bleed. "Help, please help me!" She gasped as waves of pain washed over her. Tears began streaming down her dirtied face, but still the man sat watching. "Please..." she whimpered.

"You'll get free or you'll suffer until you pass out. I am excited to see which." The man's voice was gruff and deep. It rang of superiority and his accent was like a snarl. "I might even get some pleasure out of this."

Ami's heart sank at his words. Knowing that he was not going to help her, Ami struggled harder. Yelling and thrashing about. Her back arched and she felt as if someone was ripping her in two. Ami could hear a scream and it took a minute to realize it was all her. Ami panted as the pain began to reside, her hand free, but bleeding, and her back felt wet and sticky. Lying on her side she glanced at the man, but he was walking to her from the other side of the fire that was going out. Ami was loosing her consciousness, but she felt the man pick her up, and her she prayed that he would not violate her. Ami tried to sink into the blackness, but no peace came this time. She felt his tongue lick at her wounds. The bleeding was stopped at her wrists. The she gasped with pain as he ripped her dress in the back. Ami sighed as a sudden pressure was released. Ami decided that he was healing her, but there was something wrong with her back. A great weight pushed down from her shoulders, but she was too weak to try and figure what was wrong.

"Your wings have finally come in. I'm sure the queen will be quite pleased."

She had wings? Impossible. She tried pulling away from the vampire that now pressed his lips to her neck. "Please, don't hurt me." Her voice was weak and shaky, but the man did not bite her.

His body moved away from her, but Ami passed out before she could figure anything out for herself. Everything had happened so quickly. The vampire must be lying. Humans do not have wings.

This time Ami had no dream, but her pain receded. Her wings healed, and the vampire would take care of her immediate needs, but where was she headed? Ami did not know and was not sure that she wanted to find out. All of this was just too much.

The author's comments:
This chapter is where Tristan has found his way accidentally into Ami's inner sanctuary. I place where she thought no others could go, but because of Tristan's connection, he is able to reach her.

Ami approached the ruins just before sunset, her traveling leader growing ever impatient with their progress. The crumbling masonry making homes for the birds provided less shelter than a tent would have, but the sky was clear on this cool evening. Fragments of stone crumbled under Ami's shoes. The chains rattled as she stumbled along behind the cloaked man. His angry pulling cut into her wrists with painful, stinging bites. The rope when she rode in front of this ruthless man was not any better. Ami tried not to cry, but found that it was nearly impossible for her to do so now. With the little water she had been able to drink she was lucky if she could whisper a word.

Dragging Ami past what had once been an archway, the failing sun cast it's last glows down over the foot broken stones like headstones. Ami could not help but to shiver against the breeze that began to increase. The man quickly picked Ami up easily setting her onto the horse's saddle. In one fluid movement, pulling himself onto the horse, they began to ride swiftly off through the trees.

"For everything I've been told about you, you are not what you appear to be." The man's voice was gruff against Ami's ear. Stifling a whine Ami closed her eyes. Pulling her wings closely to her trembling body Ami began to pull herself from reality. Once inside her mind she would be free.

"Think you so?" She managed to whisper as his hands flipped the reins. Ami did not know if he had heard, but he made no response if he had.

Ami could not seem to lose herself on this night, but felt her body grow heavy with exhaustion even thoguh she knew that sleep would not find her. For the past week of traveling Ami often wondered about where she was going and why she was being taken. Ami knew that she was different, and now the wings proved it, but the fire must have something to do with this torture. Her memory had been lost as did her past life, but Ami knew that this had to be because of who she was. The stone blockade that forced her mind out seemed impossible to infiltrate,but Ami kept telling herself that something would help her. She often thought of a man's face. His soft blue eyes and his sandy hair... Who was he? Ami thought of him often as she drifted to into a state of exhaustion, but not quite sleep.

***

King Gregor had never seen his son so determined, and it made him think of a younger version of himself. "She will survive this."

"Here, now," Tristan's hands shook as he buttoned the white cloak around his broad shoulders.His voice seemed strong despite his body language. "I will find her. I will teleport her here tonight if I must, with me."

Tristan had tracked Ami well into the forbidden forest that lay east of the village he had visited prior to her kidnapping. The city of Oslolia was not more than a few days away. Once there, Ami would be harder to track with all the minds so close together. He knew that Oslolia would also shelter her captor from his view as well. The thought of seeing Ami tied to that creature made him want to vomit with a deep depressing feeling in his gut.

The candles had all been lit, smoke from cleansing incense filled the air will rolling shapes and shadows across the walls. Tristan lay flat on his back on the stone alter. His hands and ankles where bound tightly, but he knew that it was a pain he would have to face if he was to keep himself from hurting anyone who would be around him. Sometimes the rituals could go array and the souls returning to the body could react violently, depending. "You can't do this without a price." The sweet witch kissed his forehead, sending Tristan into a deep sleep. "Sleep young prince, find your love, but let the air guide you, the fire keep your heart strong, the water keeping your mind clear, and the earth to heal all wounds." Her voice was that of a singers, the lines seemed to make a music of their own. The elements filled the alter with a white light that radiated off Tristan.

Opening his eyes, Tristan sat up. He was on a ridge. Down in front of him he saw a small farmhouse. The fence leaning on each post for support, the roof made of reeds, and the animals all walking about the yard. He felt a light breeze urging him forward. His eyes took in the quiet scene. The sun was high overhead, it was about mid-noon. Picking his way down the sloping hills he made his way down a path that had probably been made by an animal. It was faded and hard t follow, but he had to trust his intuition.

Off to his right, Tristan caught the smell of water. He feel the air pushing him on, urging him to continue on his journey. A large and clear path led around a corner into the trees. It was level with fallen leaves and twigs from all of the leaning trees. Their branches reaching out like fingers at is arrival. Those trees' leaves were all turning yellows, reds, and burnt orange colors as Tristan walked underneath them. A wind sent the sound of chimes through the forest like the faint sound of bells and the tinkling of thousands of beaded braids. He walked on as the leaves rained down on him, a downpour of foliage, twigs and such, softly landed all around his shoulders, but Tristan was not startled at all. This fall place was peaceful and warm. Sunlight filtered in through the canopy of limbs and trees like firelight from above floorboards when in a cellar. The sound of water lapping at the earth came to his ears gently, a rhythm of this place of peace.

Never before had he felt such calm in the spirit world, even though his vampiric ways were greatly enhanced. The trail became much narrower as he neared the bend. Sloping downward he followed falling leaves and grunting trees to a small lake. A tall, lone cedar tree stood tall. The ground all around it was dusted in the orange needles, the sweet smell lingering. Beyond that tree another path could be seen. This one was much less traveled and somewhat overgrown with underbrush, but his eagerness to find Amilynn was pushing him further into the forest. His feet finding the way even though his mind did not know the way. This path kept on its way, but Tristan felt a tugging at his soul. Though there was no path here, Tristan began struggling his way through the thick underbrush that was filled with briers. Their sharp thorns cutting and scraping his skin right through his clothes. The needle like tips left his skin crawling with a itch, but still her pushed on. A ridge on his left, a small steam on his right, and more briers were ahead.

Tristan began climbing up the hill. His feet slid sightly in the soft earth while his hands clutched small trees for leverage. The briers were not as dense on the side of the ridge. Taller trees weeded out the sunlight, but the ridge made round looping circles that dipped low and collected water. Silver minnows darted in and out of the sunlight from those puddles, but the larger swoop led Tristan to the edge of a large lake. Its shore was smooth and gently rolled out into he clear water. Small stumps lay in the water,and a beaver dam could be seen directly in front of Tristan, on the other shore. The ripples of water blew across the lake as the wind began to pick up. Tristan knew he was close to her, but he could not see her anywhere. Amilynn was near, he could feel it.

The author's comments:
Tristan finds Ami and her memory is restored, but her spirit is misplaced. Their souls connect with her mind being unblocked from the spell once laid on her...

Haven't I seen him before? Amilynn stared at his muscular body. That man's steps were sure and strong. Maybe she had dreamed about him once and now her mind had created him here.Yes, that must be it. Ami had never created people in her sanctuary, but she was sure that this place was not real. She leaned forward from her perch, high in a leafy tree. It's branches were absolutely covered in large star shaped leaves that hid her from the view of the man. His sandy hair was long and hung in his eye on one side, his clothes were those of a fancy gentleman or a traveling silk merchant. The bright green and gold emblem on his thigh caught Ami's attention. The emblem had a raven clutching a sword in one talon and a shield in the other. A crown covered the top of the entire thing so Ami's only thought was royalty. She must be dreaming if such a handsome prince would come all the way to her here. Ami still could not place where she had seen him before, and the thought was nagging.

"What are you doing here, sir?" Her voice carried out to him. He turned, and even though Ami knew he could not possibly see her, and looked up to where Ami had hidden herself. She slowly stretched out her wings, causing the branches to shake and let herself down to the soft ground. The man, when he came closer, looked more of a boy with his round face, his pale skin was slightly burned from the sun with scratches. His eyes were a piercing blue that seemed to look into her, but that thought made her blush. He was steadily getting closer, but Ami had nothing to fear. This was her sanctuary and that meant that he could not hurt her here. The boy reached a hand out s if to touch her face, but his hand moved back just as quickly.

"You have wings?" His face was red and sweat beaded on his forehead. Ami quickly noticed that he was a good deal taller than her and certainly built strong. His brow furrowed, his eyes looking deep into her's. "I was not expecting you to have crossed so soon, but that is alright, I'm here now. Please, M'Lady, if you'll take my hand." He reached out his hand to hers. Ami looked down at his hand. It was a hand that worked with calluses and dirt under the nails, but he was clean enough. This boy did not smell like Ami found most men did, but she felt attracted to him.

"But I know nothing about you." She took a step back, snagging the hem of her dress on the ever popular brier bush that seemed to flourish in this place. "Isn't it polite to at least give me a name?" Still Ami struggled with her dress that seemed to get caught in everything. That was part of the reason she had been in that tree in the first place.

"Of course, my name, M'Lady is Tristan." He bent down and pulled Ami's dress free with a little tug. "I'm not meaning to scare you, I've just been waiting a long time to see you." He looked Ami full in the eyes. She still felt no fear, and the hurt that was in his face made her want to help him in any way, just to make him happy once more.

"Have you been here all this time?" Ami slid her hand into Tristan's. His hand fully covered her fingers, but the hard skin seemed to protect her soft flesh. "I believe we have met, but I can not place where or when. It feels like I should know you, yet we have just met."

Tristan ginned. A sideways grin with a small laugh that seemed to melt Ami's heart while making it race at the same time. Her skin felt hot an her face and ears when he glanced at her. What was wrong with her,she should not be feeling this way for a stranger. Ami began heading back to the water, holding her dress above her knees with one arm, while being led and untangled from briers with Tristan's. "No, this is the first time I've ever been to this exact place, but I've traveled to many places. We have met before. I remember it well, but you were younger then." He stopped at the waters edge. Looking out across the lake a pair of ducks swam lazily, the fish darting underneath the surface of the water. "You never told me your name." Still Tristan held her hand. He was so gentle that Ami had almost not noticed, but she pulled her hand from his.

"Amilynn." She fingered the pendant around her neck. The flowering necklace had been making her feel really odd lately. It shone with different colored lights and sometimes pulsed with her heart. From all the weird things happening to her lately she had not really noticed it. Her name was engraved on the back in a fancy writing that she did not know. Only the town elder had known. She pulled her mind from her family. They were gone and she was not going to be able to do anything about it right now so there was no point in getting upset. When she looked up into those knowing blue eyes she noticed a glowing light underneath Tristan's shirt as well. Maybe he was like her, but no. He had no wings. She was a freak, a disgrace to her people, or maybe even a demon. "Tristan, what am I? You seem to understand more of this than I. So please, do not lie because I really don't know if I can take it right now." Even though Ami tried hard to keep the tears at bay a single one dripped from her eye and licked it's way down her cheek.

"Please, there is no reason to cry. I do know what you are, yes. You are a lot like me, but you are much prettier and far more fair. I fear that I may appear to you like a bear while you are a wildflower." He smiled and wiped the tear from Ami's cheek. His hand held her face for a moment before he let go. Getting a smile out of Ami he continued, "We are not human, Amilynn. We are vampires, but unlike what people might think from where you've come, we are a gentle folk. Vampires are not much different than humans really, maybe stronger and faster, but we have feelings and emotions like anyone else. Please do not be afraid of what you are. You, Amilynn, are of great power. Those wings are a gift from the Goddess herself,and there are so few like you. There are only two female vampires in the entire world, and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Amilynn, I can protect you and show you who and what you are, but you will have to trust me..."

Ami took a step back. She could feel the power radiating off of Tristan. Her heart began to race as memories began washing over her. Those memories crashed against her mind as if a storm had been brewing all those years. She knew exactly what she was. The goddess had visited her in her sanctuary, like this, many times before. The fire. That fire destroyed everything she ever thought she needed, but that fire also gave her new life. Ami stared at herself, turning. Her wings brushing against her arms. This is exactly what she was suppose to be. Tristan stared at her, but said nothing. She looked deep into his eyes and knew exactly who he was. He was her's. Tristan was her soul mate. He was her friend, her protector, but they had to part ways. That's when the fire separated them. He was there. He had tried to save her. And in the meadow at the farm, he had been there too, then later on after the other vampire had captured her she had seen him in the bushes. He had always been there. Why hadn't she remembered. "Tristan..." she whispered his name under her breath and savored the feelings it gave her.She could feel their souls connecting again, sewing themselves together as one. She felt his arms around her slender body. Her hand shook as her took her into the water. Fire. Her body was burning with an intense heat, but there was nothing she could do but let the cold water surround her. Tristan held her as she cried and whispered his name over and over. She could feel his mind gentle brushing against her's, but she welcomed him in and sank further into the water. "I'm so sorry." She sobbed, the fire rising to her neck and face. Ami struggled to gain control of this heat, but found it harder and harder to keep back.

"It will be okay, let the change cross you over." He grunted and moved positions so he could better hold Ami. She was having difficulties keeping from rubbing at her skin. Her cries quieting. "There you go..." His voice was soft and gentle. Its deep tones soothing her body. "You are becoming a full vampire."

Ami tired not to struggle, but her human side was struggling for life. She knew that her body was not dying, that her personality was still going to be her, but her body had to change. Her wings flexed with her shoulders, retracting themselves against her back, but still Tristan held on to her. He made sure that she was not going to hurt herself, but he also was trying his best to make her change as easy as possible. Of course all changes were bad, but he had never actually seen a person change into a full vampire. That is usually done at a ritual and no one but the priests are allowed to attend. Ami was trying to relax, he could tell but everything was just becoming too much. He could feel her mind and feel her pain as their souls linked.

With a blinding like the sky turned red like blood. The water began to ripple and swirl around them. The wind carried leaves into a circle around the two, forming the perfect circle. Fire, water, air, earth, and spirit. Ami's body immediately relaxed and her crying stopped. Her fully changed features were more pointed and elegant, her body much lighter, and her eyes were a brilliant green, gold, and blue. Her passed out just a few seconds later, and Tristan carried her body to shore.

The author's comments:
Stuck in the spirit realm, Tristan tells Amilynn about her past and who they each were before the fire and was separated. Tristan helped Ami to teleport back to his home of the Moorg, but Ami, thinking that this was just a really amazing dream, finds peace and allows her body and soul to recombine themselves. Was it just a dream, or did she allow herself to discover the secret of finding Tristan again?

Again, Ami found herself awaking in the arms of a stranger. His blue eyes stared into hers. With a sudden burst of clarity the transformation replayed itself in her ever broadening mind. Her past, her present, and her future seemed to make so much more sense, and hearing Tristan's thoughts inside her own mind unnerved her. The man next to her, Tristan,was one of her three soulmates. He had given her so much of their childhood together, pictures and memories of her past that seemed to become clearer with every passing second.

Each and every person has three soulmates in a lifetime, some have more than one at a time while others will come and go as reincarnates. These souls who were originally designed for each other somehow find their way back to their loves. It was how the world was designed. No person was to ever be alone, but having to search for a true soulmate proved to be a difficult task for some while others found their love in childhood. Love can take many forms and for some it is not the love of a couple, but a growing friendship.

Leaves fell all around them as they simply looked into each other's eyes. No words needed to communicate what Ami and Tristan were feeling or thinking. "We can't stay here." The silence broken by Tristan's deep voice seemed to take on a new perspective. Rolling onto his back he looked up into the twining branches above them. The limbs forming intricate patterns across the bleeding sky. His hand touching his silver pendant, a tree with intertwining patterns and knots. The colors pulsed with his slow and steady heart beat. Swirls of yellow, salmon, and blue like the colors of a sunset shimmering off water wrapped themselves around his fingers like green ivy vines on a tee. He sighed deeply and leaned up onto his elbow. "Would you come with me if I asked?" Tristan asked as Ami too sat up. Her wings tucked neatly behind her back.

She knew the answer immediately and had no reason as to why she would not go with him. She understood that where her life had once been taking her was no more. Ami was a vampire, an ancient goddess reincarnate. Maybe even Amandreana's own daughter, graced by her parents who were never suppose to have children. Ami was the only living female vampire, for vampire births are rare and far in between. Most vampire offspring are bred through human women. Their sacrifice allows vampires to thrive either by the blood allowed to drink or their bodies as hosts, but Tristan's family and his clan never force humans to give up life if it is not the human's wish. Other clans are not as merciful. Those other clans who treat humans as food and the women as sex slaved until death takes them are usually how people, humans mainly, get the wrong idea about vampires.

Ami, having wings, is unlike all before her. Not only is she a vampire, transformed into the purest of forms, but she is winged like the vampire Goddess Amandreana. The only other female vampire to have wings from which she created guardians, those guardians, her warriors, had the markings on their backs. Tattoos from birth that grow as the man does, and those tattoos change as the man changes in age and personality.

Ami's wings were solid white with several layers of feathers. A soft velvet like underside coated the inside of her wings near her shoulders where the wings connected to her back. those wings retracted, but even then those wings were long and beautiful. Ami's simple white dress could never conceal them, but she felt that the mark was from the goddess herself, not a demon. Ami clung to her old life with the desperation of a mad man, but she knew that even more of her future was about to change. Somehow, though, Ami knew that Tristan was going to help her. She had found her soulmate, or rather, he had found her. She thought about how her entire life had been a giant lie, but then revised the lie to being destiny and she wanted to leave her ever morphing future to fate.

"Do you ask, Tristan?" She turned her face to his. Meeting his eyes she felt safe, but knew that her time her in the sanctuary was coming to an end. Ami was just waiting to wake up next to the cloaked vampire who had kidnapped her, healed her, and was currently taking her off to some godforsaken place. That cloaked man wished to use her, and Ami wanted so badly to be set free from her captor. "Our time here grows short, I can feel it starting to fade."

Tristan, taking a glace around himself, "I would want for you to come with me, but your free will to decide is what I really want. To come with me would allow my heart to rest it's weariness, for I have been longing for a day like this to come. Please, I do not think I can handle leaving you again. Only getting to see glances of you while you grew as if a human tore at my heart. Now seeing you has made me whole again..."

"Shh...", Ami placed her hand over his mouth. His please and the hurt in his blue eyes my her heart hurt with a pain she had never known before. "Do not speak any longer. I want to find who I am. I want to remember everything about myself, and I'll need your help, but this is all becoming too much. I fear that I might not be the same as I was before. It may had been a simple life, but I enjoyed it immensely. I am afraid to give up that part of me, Tristan. I know we have a special connection. I feel it just as you do, but I do not know you as well as you seem to know me. I want to; however, and I want to stay with you. Take me with you so that I may be able to better understand what I am, but if I do not want the life you offer, can I leave without worry?"

"Of course..." He mumbled though her fingers.
"Shh. I am not finished. If I wanted to leave would you go with me?" She pulled her hand from his face and let it linger on his cheek. The hint of a beard scratched at her hand, but his scruffy looks captivated her. Ami looked down at his chest. His pendant pulsed even more, but hers too pulsed.Heat radiating off Tristan warmed Ami's hand, but a chill set in her chest. What if he would let her leave,what if she needed to get away from his royal life? Would he follow her or would his anger separate them? Ami was so caught up in her feelings that she did not notice the hot hand that held her cheek until she pressed her cheek into Tristan's palm. The simple gesture caused her heart to thud inside her chest and her mind to calm. As if nothing else mattered Ami closed her eyes and let the spirit wash over her. Thinking that she was leaving Tristan in the forest a tear formed in her eye, but the warmth of him did not leave her. Ami felt the weightlessness of the spirit guiding her, but this was somehow different. She felt Tristan's presence everywhere around herself. She could smell his earth scent, feel his arms surround her, she could almost hear his voice whispering a jumbled language. The joy of feeling this close to Tristan made Ami's heart jump with happiness, but her silver necklace became hot. Ami's peace and tranquility of transporting was shattered as the necklace began to burn her skin.

At that point she opened her worried eyes to see Tristan. The forest around them was changing drastically. Forest flew by as if they were standing in place while the entire world moved around the two of them. Tristan had one hand around her necklace, keeping it from touching her chest and burning his hand while Ami clung to his arms. His eyes were closed and his head tilted like in prayer while his lips moved quickly and silently. Ami cried out his name, but he did not seem to hear her, and a rushing sound of water seemed to take her words away. The raring sound came from every direction and began engulfing the two in a spiral of noise. Ami's ears rang with the sound, her head pounding, and the chain of her necklace spread a burning sensation down her down her body as if invisible water was dripping from it. Her necklace turned black and felt heavy around her neck, but she was determined to save herself and Tristan from this vortex. She had no idea what was happening to them, but it seemed to go n and on. All Ami could do was stand there, clinging onto Tristan for a life she feared was cut short, but the world around them began to slow down and take the form of a dark room. Firelight from thousands of white candles cast strange shadows all over the room. Tristan's body, laid on an alter, as if dead. Her heart seemed to rise into her throat, but with the drastic change in scene Tristan looked deeply into her eyes. "Trust me," he whispered into her ear.

Tristan could feel fear rising in Ami, her hands digging into his arms, her body shaking. He finished the words to transport, but Ami still did not seem to understand what had happened. Her eyes looked around them wildly, and she appeared to Tristan like a wild animal put in a cage, but she would need to finish her end of the journey alone. He had to continue on to his body while she called her's here. Tristan kissed her forehead, sending her all the information she needed to bring her body here, and her spirit calmed some. Once she understood what he had done, the sudden realization of what she must do came naturally. She was so strong, he thought to himself. "You have to let me go now..." He smiled even though he was hurting inside. A tightness engulfed his heart, but he encouraged Ami to continue on. If she truly wanted to be here she would most likely be here before he came to himself, but Tristan knew that Ami needed to decide for herself what she wanted. Ami let go,but she grabbed onto her hand. "It'll be alright, Amilynn, I'll wait for you." That seemed to ease her fear some and she turned to go, letting his hand fall.

Feeling as if he had just been hit repeating in the stomach, Tristan watched Ami walk on into the vortex. He found himself wanting to cry out to her, but this she had to do on her own. Tristan looked around him at the room. His father was holding his and while his mother knelt and held his father's hand. The two of their heads were bent in prayer. He could feel them calling out to him so that he would be able to find himself. Of course he could see his body, but joining his soul and body again was not simply jumping back in. Standing in front of his own body, pale, lifeless but the slow even breaths the body took. Tristan looked up and thanked each spirit for guiding him. They had encouraged him, gave him the words to say to explain Ami's history without hurting her, gave him the strength to teleport himself and her all the way here, and now to help himself back into his body. His family awaited him, but Ami would be also. He knew that she would be fine. He could feel it inside as if the gods and goddesses were whispering straight into his soul.

A woman placed her hand on his shoulder. "You've done well, Tristan, Son of Gregor. You have nothing to worry about." Her soft voice was vaguely familiar. You have guided her well, but your spirit needs rest, and your body needs your spirit." Amandreana stood behind him, her emerald eyes looked deep within Tristan. The familiar smile he saw on Amilynn's lips was on Amandreana's. "She is my daughter, Tristan. You are her guardian, and I grant you the power of my own. Protect her, Tristan, for she will need you in the near future."

Tristan felt weak in the presence of the goddess. Her long white robes covered her sender frame, but her bare shoulders were covered in her lover's tattoo knots. Her beauty and grace radiated off of her in waves while her gentle hand and voice soothed Tristan. He found strength in her voice,and was awed by her. "I am afraid that I am not worthy, my Goddess." He bowed deeply to her and did not dare look into her eyes. Showing great respect her waited for her to touch his shoulder again before he raised.

"You mustn't be afraid to be with her, Tristan. You and Amilynn were created for each other, and I have my eyes on you. Take some of my strength, young Tristan, and allow me to help guide you as you take care of my daughter. I am never too fr away to hear your prayers."

Amandreana began to fade into the shadows of the candlelight while Tristan soaked in her words. He was Ami's protector, her guardian. Feeding off of the goddesses words he reached out to touch his own hand. The body welcomed his soul completely, yearning for the spirit's presence again. Breathing a sigh of relief he welcomed his body while sinking into a deep slumber. A sleep to rejoin soul, mind, and body and to awake alive and well. Tristan's last thought was of Ami's face and that picture held Tristan's soul together while he weaved himself back together.

Ami wondered through the grassy plains with no idea where to go. Fear was creeping up on her as she ran, trying to find the right portal to take. She had already found her body. The two were already back together, but finding her way back to Tristan's home was taxing. Her body was weak,and her spirit was growing weaker with each passing minute. Panic rose in her like a beast waiting to lash out, but Ami knew that she would find her way back soon, she had too. Tristan would be waiting on her, and she would not want him to worry. Tears began to fall from her face, but she knew that those tears were no good. They would get her nowhere.

She sat on the ground, spreading her wings and hanging her head in shame she cried out Tristan's name. She thought she imagined his voice calling her back, urging her forward, but she knew that he was already gone. A woman's voice then came to her. "Do not be discouraged. All you have to do is follow him." Ami took courage from the words, but no person was around. Just the sea of grass she had been running though. That voice, Ami had heard it before. Somewhere...

Ami closed her eyes and began picturing Tristan. His crystal blue eyes that seemed to pierce her soul, the crooked grin and his sweet laugh, she imagined his deep voice telling her that everything was going to be just fine. She imagined Tristan, standing tall and handsome,ready to welcome her with his arms spread wide. All she needed was a little encouragement now... Ami could practically small him, Tristan's rough feeling hands, that had become so gentle, touching her cheek and pulling her to him. His soft shirt felt amazing against her tired body, the comfort of him relaxing her. Ami breathed a sigh when she herd him. He mumbled her name, but Ami knew that when she would wake up again he would not be there. Her dreams kept finding ways to confuse her. Ami struggled with herself as to what was real and what she had made up, but she let a deep sleep take its toll. Her eyes being shut remained that way as her breathing slowed and she felt the great warmth of happiness inside her despite her current predicament. Peace, silence, and Tristan... Ami was content to never awake again if she could be at peace like this forever, but all good things must come to and end to make room for the even better mornings.

The author's comments:
Here is when things get tricky. Ami finds out that not everything is true about what life she had been living, and a new character is introduced.

A hand, tangled roughly in Ami's thin hair pulled slightly causing her to wake. Her hands felt bare skin while her eyes tried to focus in the changing lights around her. Ami tried pulling away from whoever she was laying with, but one of their arms held her firmly around the waist. She began to panic, but Tristan's familiar heartbeat caught her attention. Tristan snored quietly under her, still laying on the alter. Ami, feeling greatly embarrassed struggled from Tristan's embrace, but finding herself without clothes, she immediately froze. Tristan had someclothes, pants that were cut off at the knee, but she was naked. Ami quickly lowered herself from the alter and wraped herself in her feathered wings, making a shield. To her surprise she found a neat pile of clothing items near the alter. A silver dress made of some sort of material that felt cool and smooth in her hands was on top with undergarments folded neatly underneath. A small pair of cloth slippers in a dark green also waited for her.

Ami quickly put all the garments on. They were slightly big for her, but Ami did not mind and was grateful that someone had thought of her, but then she wondered how someone here would have known she was coming. Had they seen her before she awoke or had Tristan planned on her coming here all along? Ami did not know, and with uncertainty she sat, waiting for Tristan to stir. She felt rejuvenated, radiant in her new clothes. The dress moved freely against her skin and the material quickly heated to a comfortable temperature, but was not too warm. Taking a good look around Ami noticed that most of the candles had burnt out and left drips of wax down the silver holders. Few lights still flickered, but all were near extinction.

With no time reference Ami sat and waited, and waited. She did not want to wake him, but she did not want to explore the room further than the light allowed her to see. Uncertainty clouded her mind as she pondered how she got here, why her clothes had been gone and some replacements had been waiting. She wondered where she was. Ami, struggling more and more to see passed the quickly fading light moved closer to the alter. Soon after the last flicker went out Ami rested her head against the cold stone alter. Closing her eyes she began imagining her sanctuary, but she could not quite reach the meditative level she wanted. It was as if a stone wall prevented her mind from creating the place of peace. Ami felt uneasy in this unfamiliar place, she wanted to run and be outside, but she knew that her mind was just weary. Ami stretched out her mind to brush against Tristan's. His too was blocked, but Ami did not want to pry and find things she rather have left alone. She felt that if she was to push herself in his mind that she would be invading his privacy while he slept on.

***


Tristan reached out in search of Ami and sure enough, he touched her hair. The beautiful golden locks, so soft and light. She moved under his touch and he sat. An uneasy feeling rushed to his brain, causing him to feel dizzy for a few seconds. Everything was black and it took a couple of seconds for his eyes to adjust to the new level of darkness. All he could make out was the rough outline of Ami and her pendant that was glowing a deep read and gold. "Sorry I was so long." He sighed and stood up. Tristan felt weak, but with a flick of his fingers torches that had not been lit prior to the meditation flashed with fire. Whispering his thanks the fire left his fingers and burned brightly on the torches. The entire room was now alight with the warm and gold light. Ami stood, wearing a silk dress. It cut down her shoulders, making room for her wings, and was loose fitting. She looked beautiful, but the worried look and the stress he could feel radiating off of her set his stomach in knots. "Please, I have to eat and drink first, but I assure you, Amilynn, you are safe here. I am fine." Tristan took her delicate hand and began leading her around the alter. The cold stone floor sent chills up his bare feet.

"Are you sure that you are alright?" She walked with Tristan as he led her to a door. It's handle was made of gold and was in the shape of a great beast. Its jaws open with fangs inside with eyes that glinted red as rubies. The door, heavy and thick wood, seemed much harder to pull open than it normally would for the two young souls.

Two armed guards waiting outside the door and seeing the two stepped aside. Their sashes were silver and red, the clans colors. The guards seemed taken aback by Amilynn, but Tristan expected that much. Not only was her pure vampire self extremely exotic and beautiful, but her scent washed over everyone near better than any other women Tristan had ever come in contact with. He longed to taste her blood with a burning hunger that he had never felt for any other creature, but Tristan would never do such a thing, not against her will, like so many of his people would. He was going to have to protect Amilynn because of her vulnerabilities here. Not only was she ignorant of her people and her kind, but Amilynn was also unable to harness her powers on her own.

The pair walked side by side escorted by four guards down a well lit hall and down stone steps that were carved straight from the stone. A faint musty smell lingered and mingled with the smell of old books and dust, but that was soon replaced as another door opened up to reveal a wide open room with a domed ceiling. Fragments of glass and gems adorned the walls to give a mystical and bright sheen on everything in the room, great windows large enough for a giant allowed great amounts of sunlight to penetrate the air around the six. Music, a soft stringed instrumental sound, traveled up from below, but this tower was stationed from the temple so music would always be heard in this place of great power. Here statues of the great gods and goddesses were erected from the alters and looked down at those who passed. Gentle looks of encouraging love to harder glares of anger shown across their stone faces with the body language to match. Each statue was as realistic as any other person who may have been standing in the room with their carefully crafted robes and gowns. Tristan looked up into those faces and gave his thanks to each and every statue, making sure to be personal with the particular god or goddess.

Ami sat, her back straight, ankles crossed, and waited on the warm wooden bench. Many soft pillows surrounded her slim body, added extra comfort. The burgundy of the pillows greatly contrasted the light colored wood and made a very beautiful seat by the orchard. Sweet smells of fruit Ami could not name swept through the air on the ever present breeze that ruffled her layered dress. The layers moved around her like rose petals, a soft pink with hints of red. Her golden hair had been braided earlier but now had a few stray strands that she aimlessly tried to tuck behind her ear.

Today was one of the passed few that she was not constantly herded around the castle and its grounds, off doing chores and training. Guards constantly followed her, giving every moment a sense of openness that Ami was not use to. She could not go off on her own here, not even in her own bedchambers. Ami asked the guards if they could be slightly farther off, and they willing obeyed, but she could still see the shinning metal of one guards breastplate behind a large bush full of berries. She signed and allowed her tired mind to relax, letting her wings rest against the soft, luxurious pillows around her. The sun shinning down on her skin, illuminating her and giving her warmth. Birds sang off in the distance, a song bird of some sort that changed its melody often. Ami smiled at the pleasantness of this garden and took in a deep breath. Filling her lungs with the fresh air that surrounded her. Inside the castle was beautiful and well cleaned, but it still had a dark closed off feeling that unsettled her.

Ami was just nodding off to sleep when she heard laughter. Children's laughter that had a sing song sound to it. Quietly Ami edged off the bench and noticed that her guards two where enjoying the sun. They too must have felt the damp cold of the passed rain, for their eyes were closed and leaning against a tree the two slept. Snores could be heard from both so Ami crept on to the stone wall where the laughter came from. Being small and short, Ami could not see over the wall so she spread her wings and jumped. The down thrust of her wings gave her a small lift that allowed her to grab on to the lip of the brinks. She pulled herself up and sat, letting her feet dangle over the side. Two children played, a running sport with fire from their hands. In the passed week Ami had seen no children around the castle and she could not keep herself from staring. There was a boy, tall and slim. His features where those of a fox. Sly and mysterious. His dark hair fell into his face, shielding his eyes. The girl was tall as well, but well muscled and her hair was red and orange like fire. Ami could tell that she was human by the look of her. A long red scar ran down the length of her arm, marking her as a slave. Ami wondered to herself if maybe they freed her, if Tristan and his family freed all of their slaves, but she could not be sure.

Tristan stood back, watching Ami curiously. He was slightly angry that his guards had fallen asleep on the job, but Ami hadn't went far. She sat on the courtyard wall, her wings nestled around her. She was such a beautiful creature, just like her mother, Tristan thought. He wondered if Ami knew or understood just how amazing she was. He was sure that she knew her kind was rare, but he also wondered if he knew what would be expected of her.

Tristan searched with his mind, sending out his love to her, but her mind was closed. With a simple brush against the barrier Ami turned around, her smile as radiant as the sun itself. "Where have you been. I've been waiting for an hour." Ami just smiled. Tristan came closer and held his arm up to catch Ami as she gracefully climbed down from the ledge. "What were you doing up there?"

"I could hear laughter and went to see who was having such fun on a day like this. There are children. I haven't seen any children since I came here until now. Who are they?" Ami's eyes probed into Tristan's and she took his hand.

Tristan sighed and began guiding Ami back to the stone gateway out of the garden. Passing flowers and bushed of sweet berries, " Vampires can not have children of their own. Humans are used sometimes, but most can not survive the pregnancy, thus losing the child and their own lives." He reached down and picked a white flower, its long petals were tipped with pink. He placed the flower in Ami's hair just above her ear. "When the angels and fallen angels, gods, and goddesses were first creating this place the gods took away fertility from the fallen angels. They were not worthy of having children of there own because they would breed for power and not for love. angels who came down to live on the land had wings, but could not stand being away from their gods and goddesses so they rejoined with them. It was their job to protect them. however one angel remained. Her name was Amandreana. She fell in love with one of the dark angels, and because she was not punished she could bare children. She was marked with five dragon tattoos for her devotion to her love... Each tattoo represented the elements. Earth, water, fire, air, and spirit because she had all five traits and used them to better her people. The gods in turn allowed her to become a vampire goddess, to grant her people with life and gifts. You, Ami, are her descendant..."
" So are you saying that I am the way for other vampires to have children?" Her brows furrowed with deep thought, "I'm not ready for that kind of thing, Tristan, I really am not." She stopped. Looking into Tristan's eyes she knew that she was the key to children. That was why she was brought here by her parents. She was a gift to Gregor and his people. They must have known. Ami was hurt, but she could not get passed the thoughts of becoming a mother.

"Listen to me, Ami, no one is going to force you into anything, and nothing like that is expected right now." He pulled Ami closer to him. "I love you and I just want you to be happy. If you want children, well, that is up to you. All I know is that you mean the world to me. I love you like no other and always have. You being special has nothing to do with the feelings I have for you." Tristan kissed her forehead, but her block was up and reinforced. Tristan could not blame her however. She has been through more than a lot and needs her space. He did love her and respected her, but his people expected more from her than he did. Tristan was happy with just the love and connection that they already share, but his mother and father already expect marriage and children in the near future. It was what was expected of him as well. Their clan of vampires got smaller with every passing reaping and this year would not be any different. "I love you, Amilynn.

"Why tell me now?" Ami asked. Sudden anger flaring. "I can still read your thoughts, Tristan. Why hasn't anyone said anything to me about this sooner, or waited much longer? I was thinking that I may finally be able to relax and start to quit worrying about being kidnapped or worse." She pulled her hand from Tristan's. "If I am here just to make your clan more powerful then just tell me..."

Tristan struggled for the words to say and with her rising voice her guards snapped into attention. He waited a few seconds too long because Ami stormed off in the direction of the castle. "Wait!" He took off after her as her guards did. "I command you to halt." He knew the moment those words flew off his tongue that it was a mistake.

Ami whirled around, anger clearly spread across her face. "You what?!" Ami was breathing hard and her could see her necklace pulsing powerfully with a fiery red. "You can not command me to do anything, Tristan, and if you think you can we have more issues than just keeping things from one another." She made her voice strong and scarily calm as she spoke the last few words. She began running but Tristan stood in place. Stunned by her words Tristan did not know how to respond. His first impression was to become angry and furious. This was his home and he was the prince. She was his guest, but then he sighed and went on into the side courtyard. It must be the potion. It must be wearing off.

The author's comments:
Lucian, Tristan's cousin reveals things about him and make Ami realize who she really is.

Ami, feeling sick, tried desperately to sit up in bed but some sort of thick leather restraint held her in place. The air choked her with the smell of rotting flesh. With no light at all Ami was left in the rank darkness. She cried out, but the weak sound of her voice only rebounded off the cold stone walls around her. She must have been kidnapped again, she thought to herself. Tristan would come if he had indeed not put her here, but in her heart she felt empty, as if she could no longer feel any connection with Tristan. Can s person just quit loving another over a silly argument? She did not know, but her head began pounding and made the pondering question fade into a dense fog. Her mind seemed clouded and with no clear thoughts Ami quit trying to free herself and let tears fall from her eyes.

"Has she finally awoken? I'm tired of feeding her all of those fake memories. I hate trying to be my cousin, he's so... such a child. He hardly carries a sword is spoiled. His hands are soft, not like mine. I've had to work for everything I've ever wanted, like Amilynn, but she'll realize that Tristan was not her soulmate, and that it was always me." Lucian spoke as he dressed. Tannin, waiting by the door.

"You," said Tannin, "will be pleased with the girl, Sire. She has changed into her pure self and her body is ripe." His eyes gleamed in the bright firelight. His hands folded neatly in the flowing robes her wore. The black hid his body, making him appear to be much larger than he really was.

"Let us take our leave. She needs moved to my chambers so she will feel more comfortable and less frightened by everything she will begin remembering. Tannin, you've done an excellent job, and a feast will be held for you at the turn of the moon. I am very pleased with your work, so I release you from your current duties. Go on home and relish your new riches with your family." Lucian smiled, a rare sight indeed.

As the two walked from the room, Lucian, the new King of Groemar, smiled even more as he made his way into the guard halls. His prisoner, Amilynn, would be frightened and in need of someone to help her through this hard time. That man would be none other than himself. He would show her a great kindness and teach her to trust him. The plan was simple, for Amilynn had nowhere to go, no where to hide, and no one who knew where she was.Lucian's heavy boots pounded out a steady stride as he walked down and down the steps, deeper into the prison. Yes, he thought as he made his way passed the ever twining hallways, she was his. The guards at each corner nodded as he passed by them, none of them would look him in the eye, but that was how he liked it. Those men never had a better life until he took him under his wing. He gave them a home, food, and trained them. Overthrowing his elder was an easy task that should have and could have been done much sooner. Lucian had not known how fat and greedy his elders had become until he returned from his quest to find Amilynn. He found her at a market in a small town, a village really. She had been living as a farmers daughter, but foolishly when she recognized who Lucian was, she fled, deleting her memories as she went. Why she would do this, he did not know, but once he and Tannin captured her it was extremely easy to replace her memories with a made up story as the ported her. Tannin had helped to put her into a deep sleep, one she should just now be waking from so that she could not escape.

He could smell her sweet scent before he saw her. Her soft skin, the golden hair, her emerald eyes that shown like her ring, and her pendant was pulsing with many colors that seemed to swirl together like water and wash over her chest. Her tight leather vest had been untied, revealing her brown and green tunic. Her tight leggings were a little ragged, dirty and torn, but the entire outfit showed that Ami was a huntress. She probably hunted for food behind her lord's back while she fed the never satisfied mouths of her human companions. The bow was obviously her weapon of choice. She was awake and struggling to get free. Ami let out a whimpering cry as the bonds holding her wrists and ankles tightened. The sweet, nectar-like smell of her blood hit him as it did once when they were both children. She had been running from Tristan, playing a simple game, but she had somehow gotten stuck under one of the many rose bushes, getting several cuts as she climbed back out.

Lucian helped her out, and healed her hands by licking her wounds. The electric explosion of her blood sent waves of delight and pleasure through his body, and Amilynn felt the connection between them for the first time. She did pull away from him then, saying that she did not want him biting her, and he did as she wanted because from that day on he knew that he loved her. Once Tristan smelled her blood he came along and took her inside, giving Lucian a glare of disapproval as if Tristan was really Lucian's father. Ami had looked over her shoulder that day and tried to say that she was sorry, but Tristan pulled her along, not wanting her to be around Lucian.

Wanting nothing more than to have Amilynn right then, he entered her room and released her from her bonds. She struggled against him for a minute, but she did recognize him in the torchlight as two guards flanked him on both sides. "It will be alright, you are safe now". Once standing Ami struggled to remain up so Lucian picked her up in his arms and began carrying her as if she weighed nothing back to his chambers. She did not struggle as he thought, but she was fading in and out of sleep. Her drugged stupor allowed Lucian to get her to his room without difficulties, but the overwhelming smell of her blood was starting to cloud his thoughts. He laid her on one of the cushioned beds by the window. Sunlight filtered in through the red glass and cast an eerie glow over Amilynn as she slept. Taking her left wrist in his shaking hands he slowly lifted it to his lips. Her soft skin felt grimy with dirt, but none of that mattered. She was here with him, and Tristan was off across the ocean, still looking for Amilynn. Lucian's tongue slowly moved across the raw area of the underside of her wrist. The dried blood lingered on his tongue and tasted sweeter than any he had ever had. He moaned with happiness as her wrist bled slightly and filled his mouth with the sweet lifeblood. He had been waiting for this since that last day he saw her, her hair blowing in the wind, skinned up knees, being pulled away by Tristan. Her gently scraped his sharp fangs over her skin, pricking the skin. He bit down a little harder and closed his eyes as the droplets of blood expanded in his mouth. He signed as the wounds closed and he let Ami rest, but the few seconds he tasted her blood he became stronger.

Lucian moved to a nearby chair and began to wait for Ami to wake up, but then deciding against it he called up a couple of human maids to clean her up and dress her. He left the room reluctantly, but instead went to the library where he could rest himself in peace and calm is racing heart. Her blood was a rush of energy and power, but he needed to remain close to her, just in case. She should have all of her old memories back by the time she wakes up and he will be familiar to her. She might be frightened, like Tristan told her she must be, but Lucian was determined to help clear her vision. He ran a hand through his thick brown hair.She must know the truth about me, she must love me as I am. The goddess had told him that the journey would be hard, but if he did what was right she would reward him with Ami's love, and so she did look lovingly down on the young warrior king.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 11 comments.


on Apr. 16 2012 at 3:17 pm
KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
3 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."

ya, makes sense. thanks :) it's very helpful.

on Apr. 16 2012 at 3:15 pm
KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
3 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."

thanks, ya i meant by

on Apr. 16 2012 at 3:08 pm
mariahisabellevin PLATINUM, Santa Ana, California
32 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Now you see me, now you don't
Don't ask me where I'm at
'Cause I'm a million miles away"- Green Day

ps you have a typo, i think you meant "by" not "y" here: His beautiful daughter, taken y this stranger, 

on Apr. 16 2012 at 3:06 pm
mariahisabellevin PLATINUM, Santa Ana, California
32 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Now you see me, now you don't
Don't ask me where I'm at
'Cause I'm a million miles away"- Green Day

The stranger ignored the blind woman and started to walk to the kitchen were several children had gathered to gawk. His hand lay on the glittering hilt while he eyed each child carefully. He was here to find the girl. "Where is the girl who is not to be yours?"

 

i think personally, you could make it a lot better if you were to make this stranger more intriquing, does that make sense? i think if you were to suggest that he eminated a sense of mystery and make him seem very dark and powerful, it would definately draw the reader in. for me, i love reading books that really capture my curiosity and my intrigue. it is always nice to have a brooding, dark character and it almost always captures a reader


on Mar. 29 2012 at 7:51 am
KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
3 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."

Thanks :) I'm really trying to add on to it with my blog... it doesn't take nearly as long as it does on here, but teen ink is really nice to use.

on Mar. 28 2012 at 6:51 pm
camboking19 SILVER, Springfield, Missouri
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

nice really pops

 


98jazzy98 said...
on Mar. 27 2012 at 9:49 pm
98jazzy98, Lewiston, Minnesota
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
In order to learn to fly, all one must do is throw ones self at the ground, and forget to fall.

I really enjoyed reading this! I can't wait for more! 

on Mar. 7 2012 at 2:39 pm
KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
3 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."

Thank you. :)

pitt98 GOLD said...
on Mar. 6 2012 at 9:28 pm
pitt98 GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
10 articles 3 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's not the days in life we remember, rather the moments." 
- Walt Disney

The part i read sounds really good. To make things longer, make each paragraph an "exploded moment" including as much detail as possible. For example "what did the slats of wood" look or feel like?

on Mar. 5 2012 at 2:50 pm
KateLynnLeigh BRONZE, Farmersburg, Indiana
3 articles 4 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The only way to get to the top is to get off your bottom."

Thank you, it means a lot. I really do love to write... I really just came up with this concept a few weeks ago... any feedback would be great.

on Mar. 4 2012 at 6:12 pm
Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland
15 articles 0 photos 182 comments

Favorite Quote:
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

I just began to read it, and already I am in awe of your descriptive talent. I've been working on a book myself, and I know how long it takes to craft tales such as this. I'll keep reading!