Freedom | Teen Ink

Freedom

December 6, 2011
By Noni3280 BRONZE, Warrnambool, Other
More by this author
Noni3280 BRONZE, Warrnambool, Other
3 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take each day as it comes.


Author's note: Hope you guys love this! :)

Winifred
“Winna! Downstairs now, it’s time for school,” says Mum.
I groan. How many times do I have to do this again. Oh yeah, for three years!
“Coming!,” I yell. I quickly get ready and go downstairs. Mum is there as usual with her protein milkshake, oh sorry, smoothie, as she calls it. She is wearing her ‘Friday’ suit ready to go to work. She works at an insurance company in town and between you and me I can’t believe she actually enjoys it. Anyway, on my way to the school bus Mum comes and gives me a big kiss in front of all my friends or at least one friend.
“Mum!,” I say.
“What?,” she says, “Isn’t a mum allowed to kiss her own daughter, off you go, have a good day at school.”
Like she cares, she just works all day leaving me to do all the cleaning up, I swear that’s why she does it.
On the school bus I sat down next to my so – called friend, Bethany. I think she is just being nice to me because I have no friends, but what can you do.
“Hi Bethany!,” I say as I put my bag down.
“Hi Winifred,” By the way, I did not hear any enthusiasm what-so-ever in that hello. I sit in silence till we get to school, the trip only takes about 5 minutes. As soon as the bus stops I make sure I’m the first one off because I really need to get in the science room. Here’s the thing, I heard that we were going to dissect frogs in science today and I am not going through that. Gross! Anyway, those poor frogs, I couldn’t do that to them so I decided to bust them out.
Ok, here’s my two plans, plan A and plan B.
Plan A: Go to the side of the building, find a air vent somewhere big enough for me to get through, crawl towards the smell of chemicals and cut a hole through the roof hoping I won’t end up in the bathroom instead.
Plan B: Climb through the ‘open’ window of the science room.
Actually, I think I’ll just erase plan A and go with plan B. Sounds like the safer option. I open the window and climb in on one of the tables, I find my way off to the door to find the light switch. I switch it on and look around and.......there is something slimy on my shoulder!
I freak out, “Ahhhhhh!”
I hear laughing behind me and I turn toward the voice.
“Beat you to it didn’t I?,” says Ben.
Just to fill you in, Ben is what you call a tree hugger or an eco – maniac, yeah you could call him a maniac too if you wanted. No surprise there that he set the frogs loose. Ben is clutching his stomach and laughing so much I think he might be having a heart attack.
“Why did you do that?,” I say, hearing the anger in my voice.
“Come on, it was just a joke,” he spluttered, still laughing.
“Well, it wasn’t very funny!,” I say and as I’m about to storm off I hear another voice,
“What do you two think you are doing In my classroom!” It was the Science Teacher.
Meanwhile, in the Principals Office, Mr. Kean was handing out our detention slips while giving us a stern lecture on disrupting classrooms. I’m sure he is saying it word for word from the book I see on his desk called ‘Lectures for Dummies.’ We are sent off to clean up the school yard till the bell rings.
Ben is talking to me like we have been good friends for years, which we haven’t and I’m not planning to.
“Nothing like detention to bring people closer together, hey.”Ben says. H
e is definitely not friend material, but he will do for now.
Ben
“Time to get out of bed!” my Mum calls from down the hall.
“Sure thing mum!” I bounce happily out of bed.
I don't know why, but I have a felling today will be a great day. I finally get to speak to that girl Winifred. After weeks of planning, today, it all comes together. Here's the thing, you might say I'm a stalker, but I really do have a legitimate reason for her to know me. The fate of a world depends on it.
My plan was to get to school nice and early because today her class was supposed to be dissecting frogs in the science room. I knew she loved frogs and was bound to try and set them free. You see, I kind of love frogs myself, but, there was no dissection today. That was next week I spread that rumour so I could get caught in the science room with her before class. The science teacher was bound to think something was going on and give us detention. Then we could be alone and I can convince her to help me.
I was sitting at the back of the bus, waiting for her. Again, that might seem like I’m a stalker but like I said, the future of the world depended on how today went. I could see her fidgeting and that she wanted to get off first, and get of first she did. That just made my job a little bit harder, I had to run all the way to the science room and quickly go through the back window before she got there.
I stood there, waiting for Winifred to come in. Then I had a bright idea of grabbing a frog to put on her shoulder when she walked in. She would love that. I was sure.
She came in and switched the light on. I quietly came up behind her and put one of the frogs I set free on her shoulder.
Winifred starts screaming, “Ahhhhhh!”
It was so funny I started laughing.
“Beat you to it, didn’t I?” I say. “What did you do that for?” she says. She sounds angry.
“Come on, it was just a joke,” I manage to say.
“Well, it wasn’t very funny!” I see out of the corner of my eye, the Science Teacher.
Yes! It’s all going according to plan.
We walk to the Principals Office and find two chairs waiting for us. Winifred’s not talking to me. The Principle or Mr. K, as I like to call him, is giving us a very fascinating lecture on disrupting classrooms and I’m sure I’ve heard this all before. Weird, anyway, we get our detention slips and are sent to clean up the school yard. Fun!
On the way I talk to Winifred about what movies I like, just small talk stuff, I’m not sure she’s listening though. Hopefully we become closer from this experience or else I’m doomed. Well, I won’t be doomed, but the kingdom of Galicia will be. You see I have this book of Medieval Prophecy’s sent down from generation to generation and I never noticed before but Winifred’s picture is in the book and I can’t figure out why. Also, there is another thing you need to know, you can go in the book. How crazy is that?
“Nothing like Detention to bring people closer together, hey,” I say.
Did I say that out loud?

Winifred
Ben and I are sitting on the bench exhausted from picking up trash. Not the best thing to be doing on a hot day like this, I think it’s at least 30 degrees outside.
“Maybe I should have made you kiss the frog, then it might turn into a prince and you’ll have at least one friend,” says Ben.
“I don’t see you hanging out with anyone,” I say.
“At least I have books!,” he says.
“Oh yeah, what kind of books?”
“Books that can take me anywhere, without people like you!”
He starts to walk away and I yell after him, “Get Real!”
Last subject at school is History, we are doing something on Greek Mythology but I’m not really concentrating. I look up to the clock, it’s quarter past 3. 15 agonising minutes to go. Suddenly, Ben comes running through the door like there’s no tomorrow, there’s something weird about him, I got to admit.
“You’re late!, “ says Mr. Nickel.
“Sorry, I didn’t know the time,” Says Ben.
How could he not know the time, there is a giant clock on the front of the school building. There is something weird in his hair, I think it’s a feather or something. Strange. I wonder what he’s been up to? He has a book tucked under his arm but before I can see it he puts it in his bag.
The Bell rings and when I leave the room I stay next to the door and wait for Ben to come out.
“Hi Ben, interesting entrance there,” I say.
“What was that book you had under your arm?”
He looks up with a weird grin, like he knows something he’s not telling me and starts to walk away. I follow him but he starts running.
“Wait up!” I yell, almost out of breath.
He turns a corner and ..... disappears? There is no one there. How could he just disappear like that? I call out his name a few times but no response. I see a book lying on the ground, it looks quite old. I pick it up carefully because it looks like it might break any second. I look around to see if someone dropped but still no one there, maybe it’s Ben’s book! When I look at the book I see something very strange. I am in the book!
Ok, this is freaky. How did I get in this book? I have a look at the caption written at the bottom of the picture and it says, ‘One fair maiden, from across time, will save a life and bring back what was mine.’ I tell myself it’s not talking about me, but I find myself believing it.
“Snap out of it,” I say as I click my fingers in front of my face.
I put it back down on the ground and try to walk away but I can’t, it’s like I’m being pulled towards it. Well, if I can’t go, it will have to come with me. When I pick up the book there is a strange flashing light. I can’t see and I feel like I’m falling. I fall who knows where with a big thud and I black out.
Ben
I lead Winifred to the nearest bench. She looks exhausted and the way she’s looking at me, I should have made her kiss the frog and I say so too. She starts arguing with me and I’m starting to think she hates me so I walk away. I know one thing that will cheer me up! I open my book and find the page with Winifred’s picture on it. The way to get in is to touch the picture and it transports you, I found that out the hard way.
Once I’m in I go find my friend John. He said he would show me a rare bird that he captured the other day. Today it’s beautiful here, the weather is always just right. One thing about the animals is that they are a tiny, tiny bit different to our world. Some animals like snakes for example, they don’t hiss they squawk and birds don’t squawk they hiss. Other than that it’s just the same as any old fairytale village with a big castle and a great landscape behind guarding the kingdom.
I see something move in the distance and i recognise it straight away. I wave to John as he flies on the giant hawk, he swoops down towards the house and lands with a certain amount of control.
"Greetings Benjamin, how are you on this fine morning?" he asks me.
I reply, "I needed to get away for awhile, so I came here." John has dark hair that sweeps across his face and light greyish eyes and wears a sort of hunting outfit with a crossbow in his hand and arrows attached to his back. Meanwhile, I'm talking to John when a little bird with bright green feathers snatch's my book from my satchel and flies away.
"NO!" I yell running after it, "Come back!"
Too late, he has already dumped it in his nest in a tree somewhere by now. I groan in frustration.
"Don't worry, jump on Griff with me and we can get it," explains John. I didn't think of that.
After about half an hour we find the book in a small nest.
"Thanks so much, John."
"Hey, No Problems."
“Oh no, I’m late for history, boost me up?,” I say.
“Sure thing,” says John. I jump off the back of the bird and grab on to the tree’s branch. I pick up my book and head back to the real world.
“You’re late!” says Mr. Nickel.
Obviously I wasn’t going to tell him what really happened so I said I didn’t know the time. When I sit down I stuff the book in my backpack before anyone see’s and focus on my favourite subject. The bell rings and as I walk out the door, Winifred stops me.
“Hi Ben, interesting entrance there. What was that book you had under your arm?” she says.
Oh no, she noticed it! I suddenly had an idea and I turn away and walk straight ahead.
“Wait up!” she yells.
Yes, she is following, better speed up the pace. I turn a corner and open my book, put it on the ground and touch the pages.

I slowly wake up and the first person I see is a girl around my age. She is saying something to me but I can’t understand yet. I turn around and see Ben in the doorway. So, it was Ben’s book then. I wave my hand to him slightly and I think he notices because he comes over.
“How are you?” He says. I can hear!
“Where are we?” I say.
“We are in Galicia,” says Ben. He pulls me out of bed.
“Come on, we have much to do!” He leads me out the room and to the door.
“Thank you!” I yell to the girl, I don’t even know her name. When we go out the door I am amazed at what I see. A beautiful horizon, forests everywhere and a big castle in the distance. What I wouldn’t give to live there.
“Where...are...we...going?” I say, out of breath.
“I need to show you something,” says Ben.
In the sky I notice something really different. One side has dark clouds and the other has white. Another thing I noticed is that we are headed towards the dark side.
“Don’t tell me we are going over there,” I say.
“This is your destiny, did you even read the book?” he says.
“Why is it my destiny?”
“It just is, ok? Anyway, the picture in the book is exactly like you.”
“That doesn’t prove anything!”
He doesn’t say anything but his expression gives it away. I’ll describe his look in one word: Frustrated. His eyebrows are scrunched up and his mouth is the same. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be doing so I ask a question to pass the time,
“So, how did you know about this book in the first place?”
“It’s been in my family for years, when I first saw it I thought big deal and old book. I didn’t think much about it and then at school we had a project and we had to find something old you own and tell us about it,” said Ben. “When I brought it to school I was reading it when you walked past and I looked back down and saw that picture. I was like, what? This is weird and when I got home I studied it cover to cover for more info, but nothing. Then suddenly I was waking up in a forest with a bruise the size of a football field. Oh, here we are!” Ben exclaims.
Wherever we are I do not like it.
Ben
Winifred comes crashing down and I see she is unconscious . I pick her up gently and take her to John’s sister Maeve. Hopefully they have first aid here, what am I thinking? They wouldn’t have first aid it’s the 15thcentury. Maybe they can just give her a remedy of crushed leaves or whatever, anything that will work quick, we don’t have much time, Maeve’s rushing out thinking the worst has happened as usual and leads me to a room that looks like it hasn’t been lived in for at least 1000 years. What? I’m in a bad mood, ok?
John and Maeve are the only ones who know about the book. They are taking a great risk just talking to me.
“It’s hard to believe, all this about.....teckology was it?’” says John.
I explain for the 4th time today that its technology, not teckology.
“You are from the future? That is the most preposterous thing I have ever heard of!” he says.
I hear Maeve talking, Winifred must be awake. I walk to the door and peek in. She turns her head towards me, moves her hand slowly and gives me a half wave.
“How are you?” I say.
“Where are we?” I tell her we are in Galicia and pull her out of bed before she has time to be lazy. She says thanks to Maeve as we run outside.
“Where.....are...we....going?”says Winifred.
I don’t want to scare her too much yet so I just say, “I need to show you something.”
I look up to the sky while we run, oh no, the storm is spreading already!
“Don’t tell me we are going over there,” she says.
She said it, not me. “This is your destiny, did you even read the book?”
Come on, she had plenty of time to read it before she got inside.
“Why is it my destiny?” I’m getting frustrated now!
“It just is, ok? Anyway, the picture in the book is exactly like you.” The personality isn’t though.
“That doesn’t prove anything!” she says.
“So, how did you know about the book in the first place?” I don’t know if I should to tell her or not but I decide to anyway.
“Oh, here we are!” I say as we arrived at the East side of Galicia.
If I know one thing for sure, Winifred’s going to be the best thing that ever happened to this place.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Dec. 12 2011 at 6:27 pm
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
12 articles 10 photos 1646 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

I have a bit of criticism.

1.  Your narrator seems like they are talking specifically to the reader, which can come off as immature or unprofessional.  Maybe you could eliminate comments like '...between you and me I can't believe she actually enjoys it.'

2.  A little more description of your characters would be nice and of their surroundings.

3.  You have a few run-on sentences, so you might want to check those out.  Commas can't hide the fact that some sentences just need to end.

I think this book has a lot of potential, so keep writing!


on Dec. 11 2011 at 12:26 am
Noni3280 BRONZE, Warrnambool, Other
3 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take each day as it comes.

thx, thats so sweet, hopefully i might one day. fingers crossed

Tess. said...
on Dec. 11 2011 at 12:11 am
Tess., Warrnambool, Other
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
When at first you dont suceed try try again.

Best book ever! I can see this scene in my head. Great job, teen ink shold but you in the mag!