My Soul Waiting | Teen Ink

My Soul Waiting

By AuntieEm BRONZE, Vincennes, Indiana
AuntieEm BRONZE, Vincennes, Indiana

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Author's note: This book has a little bit of me in it. Just not the family death part... I actually have a pretty happy family. The whole point of this book is to not take things for granted.

My name is Rebbecca. I would be twenty today. Instead, I will stay sixteen forever. Four years ago, both my parents were killed. They were killed by my sister, Elizabeth. Afterwards, Elizabeth took her own life. I didn’t have any family to go to. I was soon forced into going to a foster home. I ended my life while packing to leave. Ever since then, I’ve been stuck in this house. My old neighbors, John and Connie, have been trying to sell my house. So far, I’ve done everything I can to keep the house to myself. I do not like strangers.
Every once and a while, a few daring strangers will come venture into my place. Sometimes a few strangers will even be interested in the house. Let’s just say, they’re not interested anymore. Barbara, Suzan, Robert, and Tasha were all interested. Those people all lost their lives. They lost their lives to all kinds of different things. Barbara and Suzan were sadly electrocuted. Robert and Tasha unfortunately found a gas leak. I will never let anybody take what’s mine.
During the past four years I’ve made a friend. This friend can’t really see me, though. His name is Albert, and he’s my cat. Albert is the only living creature I will let near the house. Even though he can’t see me, he seems to know I’m here. Albert is a plain black cat. I wouldn’t know for sure, but he looks like the fluffiest cat I’ve ever seen. Albert doesn’t like strangers much either. He’s made sure visitors with pets never make it in. I’m not quite sure, but I think he’s given a dog rabies. Poor little guy, I don’t think he made it.

One of the main reasons I won’t leave, is because I hope to find my family here. So far, I haven’t found a single soul. I don’t give up easily. One time, I did see something though. I’m not sure if it was part of my family. You have to hope though, even when you’re dead. Albert could sense the other presence, too. He didn’t go check it out though. He was actually quite frightened by it. That seemed kind of odd, considering I don’t frighten him. I plan to stay here until I find somebody, no matter how long it takes. I want to have someone with me when I crossover. I’ve always been like that. I can’t stand having to do things alone. That’s probably why I was always so depressed. I never had any friends, or support from family. So I was forced to do things alone. Not this time, I refuse to do this alone. Too bad Albert can’t come with me. I know if he had the chance he would.
Once again, Albert and I have a visitor. From what I’ve heard so far, his name is Chris. That’s kind of odd. I was going into a foster care with a man named Chris. Since I still have my foster care papers in my room, I went to go check them out. Sure enough, the man interested in my house is my foster parent. Or at least, was going to be my foster parent. It’s a shame I took my life, he seems pretty nice. Although, I still want the house to myself. So I sent Albert to him. Strangely, Albert seemed to like that man. So I guess I have to show him out myself. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t make myself do it. When I did go up to him, he stared straight into my eyes. It was almost like he could see me. I’ve never had that happen to me before. Chris actually got to tour the whole house. I’ve never let that happen before.
Albert didn’t seem to mind. He enjoyed having Chris there. For the first time ever, somebody was bringing treats for Albert. Chris would always come back with some sort of treat. The strange thing is I would always let him come back. One night, I got to thinking. Why’d I do this to myself? Could I not have given him a chance? At one point I got so frustrated that I left the house. I had never done that, not for four years. Right when I left the house, I saw thousands of souls. They all looked so confused. I probably looked confused to them too. I then realized that some of these souls could be family. I started searching everywhere, probably for many hours. I found no one. Knowing this depressing news, I went back to my house. When I got there, there were about twenty people there. Before I would start showing people out, I listened to see what was happening. As it turns out, Chris bought the house while I was gone. All of these other people were the movers. I wasn’t as mad as I thought I’d be. It might be nice to have some company. Albert even agrees. After about two days, all the movers left. I’m guessing that Chris is all moved in now. For the first day, he wasn’t there. So I decided to look around at his stuff.
One of the rooms was painted a dark pink. In that room, there were four twin sized beds. Next to that room, there was a room painted a dark green. In it there were three twin sized beds. Albert seemed to like the green room. I’m not exactly sure why. I’m just going to guess his favorite color is green.

When I was done looking around, Chris came through the door. Before he closed the door, he yelled something outside. “Start bringing in your stuff!” He shouted. After about three minutes, exactly seven kids came running in. “Is this the place?” One of the smallest boys asked. “Yup, this is it. You’re going to love it here”, said Chris. “Isn’t this where that one crazy dead family lived”, asked the tallest girl. “They weren’t crazy. They just had a few problems. I’m sure they moved on now”, replied Chris. Right when he said that, he met my eyes with a glare. I looked away. I’m not sure why. It’s just I haven’t been looked at for four years.
I’ve been hovering over the living room for a while now. There was nobody in there, I was just pondering. Even though I’m dead, I still think quite frequently. It makes me kind of sad knowing I could’ve been one of those kids. If I had lived, I would’ve eventually moved back here with them. I also could’ve made friends. Although, I’m not too sure I would’ve made friends. From what I’ve heard, all the kids thought I was crazy. Maybe I could’ve changed their minds. After a few more moments of pondering, I made a decision. I’m going to try to communicate with the living. It was obvious Chris could see me. Could he hear me though? It’s about time I found out.
Early in the morning the next day, Chris got up to make breakfast. The kids were up getting ready for school. The same school I went to as a young child. It wasn’t a bad school. I actually enjoyed it. I looked forward to going to it everyday. Then, there came high school. The worst place ever invented. My life, as you can tell, went downhill from there. While Chris was making coffee, I decided to barge in. I popped up right next to him. At first, he didn’t acknowledge I was there. I finally spoke up and greeted him with a “Hi.” He didn’t say anything for a moment. Then after a while, he grabbed his coffee, took a sip, and said “Hey.” Then he sat down. I stayed there in shock, but just for a moment. I then realized, he could see and hear me.
I didn’t do anything else after that point. Chris seemed completely unaffected. You would think a normal person would be scared to death after talking to a ghost. I’ve thought many times about trying to communicate with one of the kids. I don’t think they can see or hear me, but I might as well try. So when the kids got home from school, I picked one out. I picked one of the girls. She seemed to be the quietest. So maybe she won’t freak out. When she started up the stairs to put her backpack away, I popped up in front of her. She just walked right through me. Then I shouted, “How rude!” Then, the girl turned around, dropped her backpack, and screamed. She then shouted, “Who said that?” So it was obvious, she could hear me and not see me. I then tried an experiment. I went up to each of the kids and said something, just to see what they’d do. None of the boys reacted at all, but all of the girls did. Each girl could hear me, but not see me. I wanted to know why, so I went to Chris. It was the second time I had talked to him. He had an answer for me. He told me that he was born with a gift. His gift allows him to see and hear ghosts. He also told me that it can be hereditary. He said that all of the girls were his actual daughters. The boys were all foster kids. After he was done talking, I left.

That explained a lot. I was kind of happy knowing I could talk to somebody. Sometimes I would go to Chris and just talk. I asked him many questions. He had an answer for each one. He’s told me that he’s seen my sister. Apparently, she’s been watching me. I want so badly to see Elizabeth. He told me she hangs around outside my old bedroom window. Sometimes, I would sneak a look behind my window. One day, I spotted her. She actually stayed. For the first time in four years, I got to talk to my sister. We both decided to stay and wait for our parents. We hope they haven’t moved on without us. While waiting, we decided to have a little fun. We might as well make the best of our deaths. Elizabeth had a great idea. She wanted to mess around with the girl a bit. She wanted to make their dolls come to life, since the girls could hear us. I first picked up one of the Barbie dolls, and Elizabeth grabbed a Bratz doll. We started playing with them, just like we were kids again. Surprisingly, the magic floating dolls didn’t faze the girls at all. So we decided to mess with them a little more. We gave their dolls a little haircut. They weren’t bad haircuts, but the girls seemed to think so. We also changed the dolls clothing up a bit. Elizabeth made the Bratz dolls shorts even shorter. She used the extra fabric she cut off to make this scarf thing. I made the Barbie doll look sort of like a punk rocker. In my opinion she looks much better. She’s got the spikey hair, (I added blue highlights) and the dark ripped clothing. That’s always how I made my Barbie’s look when I was little. I was always accused of being emo, gothic, or punk. To me, those are just labels. Now, I’m labeled as the dead girl. In my mind, I’ll never be dead. I feel very alive when I’m here with my sister. We finally got close enough to tell each other our secrets. She even told me why she killed our parents. Apparently, they got in a big fight. During the fight, our parents got so mad that they asked to be dead. They didn’t really mean it, I’m sure. Elizabeth was so mad, though. She took them seriously. When she came back to her senses, she couldn’t live with herself. So she overdosed on my moms sleeping pills. That’s how I ended my life, too. Elizabeth never did tell me what the fight was about. I didn’t push her to tell me, though. She’ll eventually tell me.

After a while, messing with the girls’ dolls got boring. We moved on to mess with the boys. We have to remember though, the boys can’t hear us. This should be very fun. First, we gave the tallest boy a wedgie. Something is very wrong with that boy. He didn’t think anything of it. So we messed with another boy. We poured ice down his t-shirt. We would’ve poured it down his pants, but we decided against it. I’m not exactly sure why. He reacted just like you would expect. He screamed and hopped around like a kangaroo. After he finally started to act normal again, he started to wonder who did it. He accused everyone in the house, even if they weren’t in the room. Elizabeth and I were having a great time. There was a part of us that didn’t want to leave. Our parents can take their time, we’re having a blast. I also started thinking about Albert. I really don’t want to leave the little guy. He’s grown so used to me, and I’ve grown so used to him. We’re almost like best friends. That’s odd, I know. You don’t have much variety when you’re dead. Anyway, Elizabeth and I always get so distracted. Sometimes, we forget to search for our parents. We always make sure to look for them at least once a day.
One thing I miss about being alive is sleeping. You would think I miss eating the most. I miss my old mattress. Sleeping is how I escaped my problems. I loved to sleep.
One day, in the middle of our chat, we heard a faint whisper. Not just one whisper, but two. That got our hopes up. We immediately went into ninja mode, listening to every little noise. We heard it again, but it was a little louder. Slowly, we started walking towards the whispers. There they were, our parents. The people we’ve been waiting for. When we found them, we all just stood there. If ghosts could cry, I’m sure we’d all be crying a river. Our parents looked really happy to see us. They were even happy to see Elizabeth, their daughter that killed them. Elizabeth finally burst out an apology. Of course, they accepted it. They told us that they’ve been waiting for us. They want to crossover with us. We told them that we wanted to stay a bit longer, though. So we all did. We even got our parents in on the pranks we do. It was like we were always a loving family.

Being dead can change you. After a few more days of pranks, we decided to leave. I so badly want to take Albert with me. I even thought about killing him to see his spirit, but I didn’t. He’s in good hands with Chris. I said my goodbyes to everyone. Chris was glad to hear of my departure. He said it’s what is meant to be. I’m really going to miss everything here. I hung around for over four years. I hope Chris keeps the place. The girls didn’t seem to care about us leaving. There’s no surprise there. After saying our last goodbyes, we all crossed over as a family. I could never explain that feeling. It’s pure bliss here. In my opinion, everyone needs to experience this. You’ll never feel pain, hatred, or fear again.