fight for the nova | Teen Ink

fight for the nova

February 7, 2023
By kellenDunn, Montrose, Colorado
More by this author
kellenDunn, Montrose, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hebrews 13:16 ESV: do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to god


Author's note:

this is my first pice hope you enjoy it

Prologue 
Today is a dark day today the yang took over the earth. The siege started three months ago. The yang’s skin looked like liquid metal and were constantly shifting their bodies to better fight us. The only way to defeat them was to take out their core which was normally covered by their skin. Many of the yang were shot down and their technology taken. This caused the human race's technology to flourish. Whether it was from spacecraft debris or gusts from regular advancements. Unfortunately, it was not enough. Many soldiers Died in the Battles and those who survived will Be Publicly executed and aired live on tv. The yang Don't want any opposition. I write this to the moon settlement. There is a secret passage leading to a secret lab. in the realm forest By the final Battleground. It is marked by a willow tree in the center of the forest. And the lab has a virus that can take down yang hovercraft. As for me I may never see my family again so tell my daughter  I Love her And always fight the noblest of fights.


Sincerely

 

3/13/2020                                           _____________________________________________________________________

As I set down the pen I considered if I should do this. If this gets to the colony this could be essential in defeating the yang . but if this doesn't get there I will have no hope of getting to see my family ever again. I think of the cruelty that was shown to the prisoners during the siege and after that, I decided that it was worth the risk. As I sealed the envelope I feel a renewed vigor. After putting the envelope in the post box I hear the commander talking with someone. My muscles tensed when I heard the voices. I reflexively barrel roll into an alley between barracks.

“If anyone finds out about our roles we will be arrested!”I didn't recognize the voice but the aura of fear was clear.

“They wouldn't dare.” the commander said with an authoritative voice.

“Believe they would. also, someone is eavesdropping” after hearing that I scrambled to my feet and tried to flee the area but was met by a dead end. as the subtle sound of footsteps I vaulted on top of the roof and jumped from roof to roof. Eventually, I had to stop but out of nowhere, a gunshot sounded and a bullet zoomed past my head. As I dodged the bullet I fell off the roof and landed on my back and all the air got pushed out of my lungs.

“ So who is this?” 

“ a soldier and a war sacrifice.”

As the commander said this I became extremely confused.

“What do you mean? The war is over” I said

“No one can know what you heard.”With one hand the commander lifted his pistol and with a resounding blast, my vision fades to black.

chapter 1 the invitation                                                         

The year is currently 2035. the yang have been overthrown and have left the planet. No one currently knows what they look like. All photos of them were deleted by the world government. And all who saw them are either dead or too traumatized by it to talk about it. We are still taut about the siege of 2020 and the technological advancements of the siege. Thankfully there have been no sightings of them since they left in 2025. today will retell the tale of me having to fight a legion of them off so that there is not another siege. But first I must tell you about how I got into that predicament.

_____________________________________________________________________

As I left the house the back wheel of my bike dropped as I realized that It was flat. As I walked back into the house Disparaging the Idea of what had to be done. My father is a muscular man with black hair and dark skin. Once inside I asked with a slight quiver in my voice ask father “ can you take me to school.”

“Does your bike have a flat tire?” said dad gruffly.

“ Yes,” I said, trying not to act meek.

“ Of course, I can. Also, I can work on your tire if you want?” dad asked, sounding accepting. As I considered the proposition I thought I might as well take the offer and take the problem off my mind.

“ Yes please.” trying to keep a respectful tone. I have been trying to let my parents help me more. Ever since I got back from camp, I always did everything by myself.


_____________________________________________________________________


Once dad dropped me off I started walking in when I heard.” nova, nova! Slow down.” I turned around and saw Karin, a young girl with black hair in a ponytail and a red stripe down the top. A pair of gray jeans with many pockets and a blue crop top. And blue eyes the color of sapphires. “You are here early.”, Karin said with a happy air in her voice. “Dad dropped me off. How are you doing?”I said. “ Good, just nervous about today's test in algebra.” sounding faintly nervous.

“ I am not very worried about it, you will know that we always do good,” I said. Although I wonder why she worries that she won't do well.while we are at the top of our class. Although algebra is proving more difficult than normal math.

“ You're right. I shouldn't worry about it,” she said, lowering her head. 

“ Why are you ashamed? Your feelings are part of you. And that's ok.” I said, lifting her head. Trying to look sympathetic. As she got up Karin said.

“Thanks, you're always there for your friends,” said Karin.

“ Also, have you gotten a smart bot yet?” I said as I tried to change the subject. A smart bot is a robot that can act as a phone companion or caretaker, And it can transform into any animal, robot, or item excluding things like cars and large objects. 

“ yes, but it wasn't charged so I charged it last night and am going to set it up after school. Want to come over?” said Karin with a smile 

“ The same thing happened to me and I had the same plan. But, we could set them up together, and also yes.” I said rubbing my chin. 

“Yess. meet at my house at 3:45.” said kain with a twinkle in her eyes 

As we started to enter school we passed by many pairs of friends and teens. Many of the kids inside were looking at their phones or smart bots while leaning on their lockers. the others were in their lockers or talking on their phones. As we walked to our lockers we were intercepted by miss. cepter the math teacher. 

“ How are you two doing?” said Miss Cepter happily.

“good. how about you?” I said, trying to sound excited.

“ Are you two excited about the test today?” she said, leaning forward.


“ Somewhat. Although I know they are going to ace it,” said Karin pointing her thumb at herself.\

 

“ I'm glad that you feel confident, I also feel confident in you both,” said Miss scepter.

“ thanks. But I need to get my stuff.” Karin said then left to go to her locker. then miss. scepter bent over close to my ear and said 

“Be prepared everything is going to change,” she said, quickly retreating in the direction of her classroom. I was extremely confused by her comment. What does she mean by everything is going to change? Did she do this to mess with me? Although that doesn't seem like her. Dismissing the thought I continued to get my things from my locker. When Karin came back I told her what miss. scepter said and asked her what she thought.

“ I can't see a feasible reason for her to tell you that,” said Karin with a smile.

“The only thing I can see is if it was an actual warning,” I said I was very confused.

“If so, what is she warning about?” s, id Karin, looking confused.

“ Let's forget about it and go to class,” I said.

As we were heading to class I noticed movement behind us. Then registered that someone was following us.

“ Hay Karin we have a tail,” I whispered into her ears.

“ Then let us see who it is,'' Karin whispered to me. as we stopped and turned around and we were face to face with Antonia and her gang. Antonia is a slender girl with blond hair, jeans, and a purple crop top.  Most of the girls in her gang have similar complexions.

“ Lookie, who's here? The traitor and the geek,” said Antonia with a smirk.

“ You know why I left your group. And I don't regret it,” said Karin, glaring at Antonia.

“ You're still a traitor. Also, have you heard the news? aperentlyThere’s an announcement today.'' Antonia said with a smirk.

“ First of all my name is Nova and Yes, we have heard. But do you have any idea what it is about?” I said scratching my chin.

“No but it’s supposed to be big,” she said, turning around and leaving. With her gang following close behind. 

_____________________________________________________________________


As we walked into our class there was an aura of nervousness in the room. Then I noticed that the normal odds of the room were not there. As miss. scepter entered the

room and the class started to quiet. as she sat down she went through her desk and drew looking as if she was looking for something. As she brought some papers out of her drawer I noticed that the papers were yellow and tattered. Then from the mummers, it felt like many other people noticed as well. Also, miss scepter seems to lack her usual spunk today. I wonder for any particular reason. Then after a long silence in which you could hear a teardrop hit the ground miss scepter said.

“ As you may have noticed, I have something to show and share after the test today. But first, we must take our algebra tests,” she said, raising a stack of papers. As she passed out the papers most of the students reached into their backpacks to grab a 

penal but I sat unmoving thinking about the comment. Was this what she was warning about? What are we going to learn?

“Nova are you ok?” said miss. scepter looks genuinely concerned

“O yes, sorry,” I said, moving frantically through my backpack and searching for a pencil.

As the timer came on the project was missed, miss. scepter said

“ time starts now.” clicking the start button.

I started to work on my test. There were a few lingering thoughts at the back of my mind. What was she talking about? Was this what she was warning about? What are we going to learn? How is this company so secretive? Eventually, everyone finished their tests and the time came for my questions to be answered.

As the clock rings out many other students raise their heads and put down their pencils. As miss. scepter walked around collecting our papers and there was an aura of restlessness. After what seems like hours miss scepter puts down the papers and grabs the older papers and starts to speak keeping a serious tone.

“What I am about to tell you may change many things in your life. So if you have any questions. Asc them now.” after a silent pause miss. scepter starters again.

“ First of all these pamphlets are maps. These only are given to those who have been chosen. This corporation has been a secret for a long time. Your year is the first in this school to have chosen students. How students are chosen is that the corporation closely monitors one's grades and lifestyle within the past three years. The ones who are chosen can accept or decline. If you decline this offer will never be presented to you again. if you accept you will move to a dorm in a facility where you will learn until you are eighteen teens. Are there any questions?”Almost immediately all the students including me shot their hands up.

“ What is the company called?”

“I do not know. and they won't tell us.”

“Who was chosen?”

“ we will get to that later.” … 

“ Now to reveal who's been chosen. Please put your heads down so I can pass the papers out.” said miss. scepter as she picked up the stack of papers. After a few minutes, I found a piece of paper on my desk. I looked back at Karin and found a paper on her desk. Who gave me a thumbs-up? Right then miss. scepter started talking again.

“ to those of you who are leaving I always will remember you,” she said with what looked like tears in her eyes. Almost instantaneously the bell rang and we put our papers in our bags and left school. On the way out me and Karin talked.

“ Where do you think we are going to go?” I said.

“What I am about to tell you may change many things in your life. So if you have any questions. Asc them now.” after a silent pause miss. scepter starters again.

“ First of all these pamphlets are maps. These only are given to those who have been chosen. This corporation has been a secret for a long time. Your year is the first in this school to have chosen students. How students are chosen is that the corporation closely monitors one's grades and lifestyle within the past three years. The ones who are chosen can accept or decline. If you decline this offer will never be presented to you again. if you accept you will move to a dorm in a facility where you will learn until you are eighteen teens. Are there any questions?”Almost immediately all the students including me shot their hands up.

“ What is the company called?”

“I do not know. and they won't tell us.”

“Who was chosen?”

“ we will get to that later.” … 

“ Now to reveal who's been chosen. Please put your heads down so I can pass the papers out.” said miss. scepter as she picked up the stack of papers. After a few minutes, I found a piece of paper on my desk. I looked back at Karin and found a paper on her desk. Who gave me a thumbs-up? Right then miss. scepter started talking again.

“ to those of you who are leaving I always will remember you,” she said with what looked like tears in her eyes. Almost instantaneously the bell rang and we put our papers in our bags and left school. On the way out me and Karin talked.

“ Where do you think we are going to go?” I said.

“ No idea but maybe a mountain range or a private island,” said Karin.

“ maybe. How long until we go?” I said.

“I don't know. But if we go soon I hope we get some time off,” said Karin.

“ Of course. But I doubt that they will have us move before the end of summer.” I said. 

“ Well bye. see you later,” said Karin, sounding unsure.

“ bye. See you.” I said 

As I walked to the front of the school I wondered what will we learn, where will we go, will Karin except, and will I accept. All these questions are prodding my mind until I hear a car horn. Abruptly the world came into view a car in front of a man inside looking confused and me. Finally, I recognized my father. What had I done to make him look like that? As I opened the door dad said.

“ Are you ok?” with many creases on his forehead and a frightened look in his eyes.

“ yes. I will tell you when we get home.” I said with an unfocused look.

When we get home I drop my backpack in my room and take out my paper and show it to dad. Once dad sits down and looks at me with an intent look I start to explain.

“ Today miss Cepter told us. that some of us have been accepted into an organization. I do not know What it wants or its name. She said that we can accept or decline. If we decline we won't ever be given this proposition again. If we accept, we have to move to a dorm near a facility. Where we will stay until we turn eighteen. I'm not sure about anything else. And this map was given to the children who were chosen.” Then dad started to expect the map.

“ What have you chosen?” briefly looking at me before returning to the map.

“ Wait, what. No questions or concerns or things to consider.” I said waving my hands frantically. I was very confused.

“ nope. You can decide for yourself.” said dad, his expression not changing.

“ Seriously?” I said

“ yes. You can make this decision by yourself,” he said 

As that sets in I start to think about my options. If I decline I will not be offered this again. If I accept, I may not see dad until I am eighteen. If I accept then I could be lwiI'veive or see Karin full-time. But then no vacations that I know of. Also if I g  there is a greater chance that I get a sustainable job. Although I don't know how I will be treated. After a while is easy I decided to talk to Karin and we both could decide with each other. then I remembered the plan I and Karin made and asked dad.

“ Dad, can I go over to Karins in a bit?” 

“Sure maybe you and your friend can help you make a decision. Also yes you can take the smart bo,” he said giving the map back.

“How did you know I would ask?” I said.

“ Because you didn't immediately set it up so I figured that you and your friend made a plan about it.” said dad scratching his beard.

“ Thank you.” Then I got up, took my backpack, and walked to my room to dispose of my bag and inspect the map myself. When I expected it the first thing I noticed was the writing. You have been invited to the cerulean academy of modern teak. If you accept, call this number: 1800-204-789. Please call as soon as you can. We will tell you when we can uphold you. You may bring any personal items that you wish. Please don't pack

clothing for more than a week. If you don't accept, please tell the instructor that gave you this map. That was it, many of the statements are very confusing. The no clothes over a week is easy enough to understand.  And taking any personal items was convenient. Although what does when we can uphold you? I guess that it means to pick us up. Once I figured out the writing I turned over the map and inspected the actual map. At first glance, it looked like a regular map. But after some inspection, I saw a small thumb-shaped circle. I tried putting my thumb on it. After a few seconds, an animatronic voice said “ voice identification required.”. Once I figured that I could activate it with my voice and wonder if each map has a specific user. Then I said.

“ nova nexus.” spontaneously the map expanded with a hologram with different levels. When I say a level the map ink will change to that floor. I wondered if the map would only respond to me and if I always have to put my thumb to it for it to respond.  As my mind drifted I started to try to find any other instructions.  As I searched the map I could not find any more instructions. Then I thought that it might be a voice-activated projection or audio file.  So I put my thumb on the circle and said.

“ advanced instructions.” 

Then the map said 

“ There are no other instructions besides the writing on the back of the map.” and turned off.

After that, I, stop trying to gain information. So I decided to talk about this with Karin I   looked up at my clock to check the time. It was currently 3:40. Has that much time passed? I  started quickly trying to find dad. 

“ Dad, can I go to Karin's house now?” I asked. once I found him. As he looked up he said

“ It's already that time?” he said looking at his watch.

“ Of course. Let's g,” he said. Standing up. So I grabbed the smart bot on the counter. Then my dad and I  walked to the car. Once we got in dad asked me.

“ When do you want me to pick you up?” 

“ I will text you when I need to be picked up,” I said. 

Once we got to Karin's house I saw her on the porch. Once I got out I waved to dad as he drove away. then I walked toKarinn. As she walked to me I hugged her. Then asked her.

“ Have you seen the instructions on the map?” 

“ yes. I also have figured out the map.” Karin said.

“ So have I. Have you chosen yet?” I said, raising my eyebrows.

“ No, not yet. How about you?” she said

“ No, how about we talk about it together?” I said.

“ agreed,” she said, turning around and walking into her house. Once in the living room,  I said “ so, have you seen the instructions yet?” 

“ yes. You think that if we go  we get new clothes?” Karin said, looking confused. Although I heard the real question hiding the words. Do you think we will be treated fairly?

“ yes. And I'm sure we will make friends who can tell us how things work.” I said, trying to look hopeful.

“ Probably. Do you think we should go?” Karin said, looking concerned.

“ I think we should go. Have you talked to your mother about it?” I said.

“ Yes, I have. She is ok with whatever I chose.” Karin said. 

“ Do you want to go?” I asked.

“, yes,” Karin said.

“ Then we go,” I said, sounding confident.

“Then it's decided. Once we set up our bots we call the number.” Kenya said.


           Chapter 2 The smart bot

As we sit on the floor and put our unactivated smart bot pods on the floor. I pushed the button on top of it to start the process of activating my bot. A screen appeared on the cocoon that was so reflective that I saw myself in my eyes. Once the screen turned on there was a question that read. What is your name? Once I put my name on the screen the next question read. Which form do you like your bot to take? On the screen, many boxes showed all the forms that my bot could take. There were so many. There were dogs, cats, leopards, deer, and so many others. once I glanced at Karin I said. “ have you gotten to the form choice?” 

“ yes. Have you chosen yet, she said looking up.

“ No. How about you?” I said, meeting her gaze. 

“ No. What do you think I should choose?” she said leaning back

“ I think you should choose a kitsune. What about me?” I said with a grin. A kitsune is a mythical Japanese fox with nine tails that has control over fire. A kitsune bot can make a hologram of a flame.

“ That's a good idea. I was always fond of foxes.” Karin said, dawning a wide smirk.

“ I think that you would do well with a leopard. Very powerful and mysterious,” she said,d putting my hands behind her head.

“ Do you think so? Leopards do look cool.” I said trying to find a leopard on the screen.

“ yes, a think a leopard would fit you,” Karin said loudly

“ ok I'll do that,” I said looking at Karin's triumphant smile.

Once I found the leopard I found out that you could choose the colors of your bot.  Almost eminently I knew the colors that Karin would choose. Red and white. As always. I thought that I would go with black and metallic silver. Once I chose my colors it said. What do you want to call your bot? Instantly I knew that this would take some thinking. I thought of many names over many minutes but the only one that stuck was sunspot. Once I put it on the screen it went black and the egg-shaped cocoon started to shake. As I jumped up on the couch faster than I thought possible, Karin looked at me in shock.

“ What are you doing?” she said, looking confused and surprised by the creases in her forehead and her eyes wider than a golf ball.

“I was just shocked.”, I said climbing off the couch. “ The cocoon shook and it shocked me.”

“ you came up with a name for your bot that fast,” Karin said exasperated.

“ his name is sunspot,” I said.

“ That is a great name for a leopard and because your name Is nova.” clearly impressed I had come up with that.

“ What about you? Have you chosen your bot's name?” I said leaning on the couch.

“ I have its kitsune. She’s booting up now. Want to do anything while we wait?” Karin said, leaning back.

“ What can we do?” I said, turning my head.

“ Let me get something,” Karin said, getting up and heading to the kitchen. When Karin came back she had a plate filled with sugar cookies! 

“How do you come up with this?” I said reaching to grab a cookie.

“ You know that I love to cook. I cooked these while I was waiting for you.'' Karin said with a wide grin on her face.

“ You are always the best host,” I said once I finished my bite of the cookie.

“ thanks. If you are by yourself you will never get fed,” she said first ecstatic then a frown crossed her face.

“ Why so sad?” I said tilting my head.

“I'm just worried about us getting separated,'' Karin said, looking down.

“ even if we aren't in the same room we will always find a way to spend time with each other,” I said with a wide grin.

“ I know. I just want us to still be friends when we go and return.'' Karin said with unfocused eyes.

“ we will. We will always be friends. And we might make some new friends there.” I said.  Just then there was a loud beep from Karin's bot and the outer shell started to disintegrate. I and Karin looked wide-eyed as a white fox with red-tipped nine tails. As the foxes' eyes opened I noticed that the foxes' eyes looked very similar to Karins. Then a beep came from my bot as the outer shell disintegrated. A jaguar emerged with fur the color of midnight black and with the look of stars in the sky. I also noticed that my jaguar eyes also looked like my eyes. Did the cocoon scan our eyes? As the kitsune and jaguar walked up to me and Karin they sat and then said in unison. “Which of you are nova and Karin?” That seemed very scary. Watching them say the same thing at act same time.

“I am nova,” I said once I got over the talking in unison. putting a hand on my chest.

“I am Karin. How did both of you know the other person's name?” Karin said pointing at the bots.

“ smart bots automatically share their owner names with other smart bots.” kitsune said.

As the bots walked to their respective owners my smart bot said. “ My name is sunspot. I am here to help and provide items for you.” 

“ ok sunspot. Can you add Karin as a friend?” I said crouching down and cooking my head.

“ Of course, I will send a friend request to kitsune now.” sunspot said.

“  Karin has accepted your friend request and you can correspond with kitsune at any time.” sunspot said as Karin looked at me with a smile.

“ What can I put in for you to know me better?” I said looking at the sunspot.

“ Of course. Please fill out the form on my chest.” sunspot said puffing up his chest as his fur flattened and smoothed a screen appeared on his chest. I filled out the form quite quickly. it mostly consisted of things I like and dislike and contact information. Once I filled out the form I decided to start downloading my favorite music and social apps. 

“Sunspot can I connect Bluetooth devices to you?” I said once I was done.

“ Of course, just tell me the name of the device and I can connect it.” sunspot said, still sitting. Once I connected my headphones and earbuds I got up and checked the map for the phone number. When looking for the instructions I noticed that there was a logo in the top right corner of the paper. Once I found the phone number I decided to wait for Karin. As I turned my head I said. “ Are you finished?” 

“ not yet give me a minute,” Karin said. After a few minutes, Karin sat up, looked at me, and said. “Let's go into my room to call the number.” as we went into Karin's room I said. “Do you want to call first? I don't think both of us should call at the same time.” 

“ sure. I'll go first. Can you wait outside?” Karin said, stopping in the hallway.

“ Of course. Just tell me when I can go in and call myself.” I said putting my hand on her shoulder.                                                              

“ ok, I’ll go in and cal,., Karin said, turning around and walking in. After about thirty minutes Karin came out of the room with a smile on her face. and I said 

“ Well, you look in a rather good mood.”

“ you will understand when you call.”Karinn said petting kitsuna.

“ Ok, I'll go in no,” I said entering the guest room with increasing confusion. Once I settled on the bed I told sunspot to call the number. As his chest flattened, an image of a middle-aged man in a cubicle came up. “ Hello, I am calling about an invitation,” I said to the screen. The man blinked as if processing the information and said.

“ Ok, I will forward you to the initiation cell.” as the screen turned black I thought maybe this could be better than it sounds. As the screen turned back on, a younger man appeared in an office room.

“ Hello, are you here to accept our initiation?” a male voice said, very calm.

“ yes. I would like to accept.” I said, trying to keep a straight face.

“ You don't have to try and hide things from me. Let's get to Bisnis. What is your name?” the man said, leaning on this desk.

“ nova nexus,” I said relaxing. the man seemed to cross something off on his desk  .then said.

“ miss nexus, there are a few things you need to know before you come. First of all, we will pick you up as soon as possible. Also, there are no assigned rooms. you can bunk With whomever you wish.” that was what Karin was so happy about. We can bunk together. “ you will have your summer. And complete access to the campus during the summer. Once the school year starts you will learn advanced techniques and usual math and literacy. At the end of the school year there will be a turbinate that if you win you will be able to work as a teacher here.” What a tournament, what kind of teacher would make us compete in a tournament . This seems all wrong. Why would they have us complete.” miss nova? Would you like to discuss the time that is convenient for you to be picked up?” the man said, looking concerned.

“Of course Karinin,” I said, shaking my head. As I checked my family calendar I said.

“  Can I be picked up with Karin?.”

“Yes,,, I can have the van pick you up with Karin at her residence you will be picked up on Tuesday the twentieth. also, remember to follow the instructions on the map,” he said as the screen faded black. As I pondered the questions in my mind as Karin knocked on the door and said.

“ Are you ok?” 

“Yes, I'll be out in a minute.” my voice seemed airy and weak as I was getting up. I picked up my phone and started posting my pickup in my family calendar. I decided to tell sunspot to download the calendar. Once we left the guest room I asked Karin.“ Is it ok if I get picked up with you?” 

“ That's fine, I think I'll need a friend for the journey,” Karin said punching my shoulder with a smile as if this whole thing was planned. There was an aura of glee around Karin. Her smirk and the gleam of her sapphire eyes only intensified the aura. as Karin looked at me I looked as if I knew what I would say. 

“ you already know. I assume It is ok?” as I put my hands on my hips. And leaning on the wall.

“ Of course it is. You knew what was going to happen as soon as you heard.” Karin said, tilting her head. As I started to head to the kitchen I told Karin

“ I am going to need help choosing what I bring. if you are willing to help.”

“ Of course,e I will help you. Lucky we get all weekend there will be a lot to go through.” Karin said, sitting back on the couch.    

“ do you think that we will have another roommate?” while leaning on the counter. Looking thru the archway into the living room. 

“ I don't think so, if there are no assigned rooms I don't think they will put another person in others room. But you never know,” putting Her feet up and turning on the tv scrolling through the channels. 

“ Well, I'm going to bake something.” looking through the cookbooks for specific baking books.

“ ok save some for me when your done.” waving her hand at me. Once I found the book I  started to franticly flip through the pages to find my specialty. Lifting my head I reached into my pocket and picked up my phone texting dad. I'm spending the evening here can you pick me up at 7:00? Already knowing Karin's parents would allow me to

stay. Clicking send I heaved a sigh and put my phone down then remembered that I could transfer all data from my phone onto sunspot.

“ sunspot please transfer all data from my phone to yourself.” putting my phone into his phone port.

“ would you like me to keep the phone?” sunspot asked closing the port.

“ yes, please. That would be appreciated.” I said pulling the electric mixer out of the cabinet. then a question came to mind. Where are Karin's parents? I haven't seen them once. Putting down the cookbook I asked “ hay Karin where are your parents? I haven't seen them once.” 

“Once I told them my choice they said that they went into their room, and a few hours later they said that they would be going to the grandparents for a couple of days. It’s weird them leaving all of a sudden. they usually bring me with them.” her voice sounded confused with a slight tremor.“so we have the house to ourselves,”

“ ok, that’s, odd. If you want I can stay overnight tonight.if you want?” I said with a low voice. I got out the electric mixer and put it on the counter with a loud bang. Once the sound faded Karins' voice cut through the sound of me searching for the measuring cups.

“ I would like that. If you can,” she said looking at me. 

A feeling jitty shot through me. Imediently I wondered if dad would let me so I told karKarin’ll ask my dad,” reaching into my pocket for a phone that wasn't there. Suddenly disappointed about not having my phone, although I had to remind myself that this is for my betterment and to hopefully help me with my screen addiction.“ sunspot texted dad, asking him if I can stay at Karin's overnight tonight.” said out of the corner of my mouth. 

“ sending a message to jack nova.” I heard sunspot while in a cabinet trying to grab a bag of flour out from the back of the cabinet. 

“ ok, can you help me get this flour,” I asked sunspot turning around. And sitting on my knees outside of the cabinet.

“ of course, which bag do I need to grab?” walking up to the open cabinet.

“ do you see the bag with a blue bird on it in the back?”I said pointing to the back in the back.

“ yes. I’ll get it.” sunspot said moving into the cabinet. Walking to the back to gd grabbing the bag with his mouth. And bringing it out and setting it on the ground.

“ thank you sunspot,” I said noticing him make a purring sound. putting the flour on the counter a puff of white flour went airborne on contact with the counter. As I was baking I wondered if I could give sunspot a personality. 

“ jacx nova has responded. Would you like to hear the response?” sunspot said making me jump.“ yes, sunspot. I would like to hear it.” I said drawing breath and resting my elbows on the counter. “although please catch my attention differently. Or at least do that while I’m baking.” I said loud and raspy.

“ noted, \the message read of course although can you tell me your choice and when you leave?” sunspot said sitting like a cat.

“ tell dad that I chose to go and am leaving on Tuesday. Also to have a good night.” I said leaning on the counter.  Yes, I can stay here to help Karin pack and choose what to take. of course, that meant that I would also need to have help packing. If I was to stay overnight I should tell Karin so first I needed to do that. “ Karin my father just messaged me he said that I can stay,” I said looking at Karin. Her wide-eyed gaze told me everything that I need to know that she approved. “ is there anywhere I can sleep tonight?” 

“ yes, I’ll show you,” Karin said getting up and walking down the hall. Following her, I tried to dust the flour off my shirt with my hands. As we walked down the hall I noticed that most of the doors were closed. I assumed that it was because Karin's parents were gone. “ this is where you can sleep tonight if we do any sleeping.” inside was an almost bare room with white walls a bed in one corner with a dresser, and a closet in the other.” ist not much but I hope it's comfortable.” Karin said looking at me 

“it is great, thank you.” I said with a wide grin on my face“ I should get back to the kitchen and finish our cookies.” turning around and tilting my head. The next few days went in a flurry of packing sleeping and eating I did little else while getting ready to go. after what seemed about a million years and a billion decisions. On Tuesday morning I woke up ecstatic accidentally hitting my head on the roof. Throughout the morning the only thing on my mind was when was the institution as dad called would pick up us.” hey sunspot when is the institution going to pick us up?” I said while sitting down with my breakfast turning my head to look at sunspot.

“ the institution is scheduled to pick you and Karin up at noon,” sunspot said looking up. I turned around nodding my head. “ you seem distressed is everything ok?”

“  no, I'm just worried about being at Karin's house on time.” lowering my head releasing my breath.

“ I don't understand the origin of your distress. The action you are stressing about is not a viable reason to be stressed,” he said turning his head at me.

“it's just the stress of packing getting to me, finally.” I said throwing my head back “ I’ll explain later.” once finished with my breakfast I went to my room to go through my bag and make sure that I got everything. It was 9:00 when I had persuaded myself that I had everything I needed. Around that time dad came up and knocked on the door and said.

“Aree you ready we can load the car whenever you what to go to Karin's house.”

“ ok, I’ll be out in a minute,” I said throwing my duffle bag on my shoulder and picking up a box. Going down the stairs I heard the door open I put this to dad saw me come down and opened the door and went to open the back door of the car. Once I was on the bottom floor I looked around the box and saw Karin. “ surprised,” she said making me blush and try to control my facial features to no avail. “ I came thinking that I should

help you get your stuff to my house.” she said. “ where are the boxes?” Karin said looking confused. 

“ ow, there in my room,”  I said looking over the box now. Karin nodded and left up the stairs  then I notice dad was looking at me. “ what.” I said in a rather rude tone.

“ ow, nothing. I just noticed your reaction to that girl,” he said looking rather smug.

“Ya, ya just please go to my room and grab a box,” I said turning around and putting the bot in the car and the duffle bag in the middle seat. After about ten minutes of backbreaking work all the boxes were in the car.  “it's all in the car now.” I said leaning backward and popping my back.

“ welp, let's get going so we can get all these boxes out again.” dad said turning and beckoning us to follow. Once in the car, we started the short drive to Karin’s house. 

“I hope that it is easier to unload these boxes than load them,” I said leaning my head on the headrest and closing my eyes.

“ What in those boxes anyways?” dad asked briefly looking at me.

“ mostly books and technology stuff,” I said looking straight ahead.

“ I think it will be. We don't have to go up and down stairs for one and I think we can squish some things in to decrease the number of boxes.” Karin said thoughtfully.

“ and we will get a break after we move them. Once we get to your house, Karin.” I said looking back a Karin through the side of the headrest. 

“ ye,s maybe we can play something?” Karin said looking at me with a wink. Nodding I turned back around. Once we got to Karin’s house I got out of the car and put my hand over my head stretching I said.

“ time to get to work.” once all the boxes were by the door with Karin's bag and boxes. I noticed that almost sixty percent of the boxes were one by me. “ why are you taking more Karin?” I said still looking at the boxes.

“ I never really had many personal Items aside from my books,” Karin said turning her head to me. 

“ so I assume that most of these are filled with books?” I said with a quizzical tone.

“ yup. Although there are some other personal items. Let's go inside I have ice cream.” Karin said walking inside.

“ ok, I’ll be there in a minute,” I said turning around.

“ so, this may be the last time we will see each other for a while,” I said once Karin went inside.

“ well I hope that you will have a good time.” dad said raising his arms with a large smile. Wich, I walked into without hesitation. 

“ I’ll come back every holiday,” I said nearly crying.

“It’s ok if you don just send me a letter,” he said with a smile.

“ a letter, count on it.” I said stepping back. “ well bye have a good time.” 

“ you too and try to make some friends.” dad said with a large grin on his face.

“ I’ll try my best. Also please tell Mija bye for me.” I said as dad was turning around “ bye have a good time.” once dad had left I turned around and went inside. 

“he's gone?” kain said looking down at her bowl of ice cream.

“ yup. He just left.” I said looking for a bowl.

“ there in the left corner cabinet,” Karin said pointing at it.

“ thanks. What's got you down?” I asked Karin leaning against the counter.

“It's just that, I can't say bye to my family if they're not here,” Karin said covering her eyes with her hands. 

“We still have a few hours before we have to go if you text them now they might be able to get here in time to say goodbye,” I said sitting down beside her.

“ your right. It is worth a try at least.” Karin said while pulling out her phone.

“Well, I'm going to go watch something on my computer.” I felt reluctant to leave Karin but I know that she needs some alone time. I decided to sit on the couch so that I could see Karin in case she does anything drastic. Sitting down and opening my laptop the open tab was an article about electronic circuits. Mija must have gotten on my computer before I packed. I have two sisters Blossom and Mija. Blossom is my older sister who left for university last year. And Mija is my younger sister who is currently in elementary school.

 For the first time, I thought that Blossom may have been lying to me and ais cerulean academy of modern teak. It would make sense. Many of the details about the cerulean academy of modern teak haven't referred to it as such. Rather using much eager names such as the academy. Temperailaraly putting these thoughts aside I opened up my canvas app and decided to start a new drawing. Over the next few hours, not much had changed except that Karin had moved to the other couch parallel to me. 

 After many hours there was a knock on the door.  Almost instantaneously Karin jumped from the couch and sped to the door where when she opened it the two figures of her parents were in the frame. Hearing the sobs and the coming from the bundle of Karin's family she decided to almost entirely ignore it and check the time. As it seemed Karin's parents had arrived just in time it is only five minutes until we have to leave. Putting my laptop in my backpack I decided to make sure that all of my items are in order. After a few minutes, I had to remind Karin how little time we have.

“ hay Karin sorry to break this up but we only have two minutes left until the driver will get here,” I said reluctantly.

“ ok, I'll make sure that I have all my things,” Karin said peeling away from her parents. As Karin was checking her stuff I heard her talking with her parents presumably explaining the requirements. A few minutes later there was another knock on the door this time Karin barely noticed and I opened the door. In the frame was a man in a sleek business suit looking very sweety. “ I'm looking for a nova nexus and a Karin pictorial. Are they currently at this residence?” he said looking extremely overheated.“ the heat getting to you? And yes both of us are here.” I said leaning on the wall.

“ yes I chose the wrong attire for this region. are both of you ready to leave?” he said.

“ yes. shall we start to put our items in the … van?” I said looking over his shoulder.

“ of course. also, I will be at your assistance while I am escorting you,” he said. bending over in what seems to be a bow.

“ Why thank you,” I said. Opening the door wider so that he can enter. Loading up our items took a much shorter length of time with Karin's parents and the driver helping us even with twice the boxes. Although it was much faster the driver and Karen's parents seemed very sleepy. Once all of the boxes were in the van the driver said.

“Now that all of your items are loaded up can you ladies please enter the vehicle?” entering the van Karin took much longer than I probably saying goodbye to her family. After about five minutes Karin entered and buckled up. Hearing the click of Karin's seat belt he said. “ ready to go? This is the last time I'll ask.” he said leaning back to see us.

“ yes, we are ready,” I said after I got confirmation from Kari,n. 

“ ok. It's going to be a long ride,” he said returing to his original position.

“ how long?” Karin said looking into the mirror.

“ about fifteen hours. So we are going down to the seaside. There is a plug to charge your devices and my phone is emitting a hotspot.” he said driving to the seaside. 

“ ok, I did not realize that it was so far away.” Karin said doing something with kitsune. “ also be prepared to not talk to me for a while.” 

“Before you do that can either of you drive?” he said 

“ I can,” said looking in the mirror.

“ so can I,” Karin said looking at me.

“ ok if it's good with you would like to switch in a few hours,” he said still looking at the road.

“ ok. In thje mean time im going to lisin to some musik.” I said playing my music on sunspot in my headphones. Through the next few hours, I went in and out of sleep until I and the driver switched when we switched he set up a google map route on his phone so that I went in the right direction. after another few hours the driver was still asleep and asked Karin if we could switch out. “ hay Karin can we switch out?” 

sure if you can pull over.” she said looking at the driver who was still asleep. Pulling over we switched and I almost eminently fell asleep in the back. Once I woke up I noticed it was Karin sitting next to me instead of the driver. I also noticed that outside it was very dark and the sun was almost set. There was also a large forest surrounding the van. The vesical was also bouncing as if on a dirt road upon later inspection they were on a dirt road. Looking at the driver which looked much more rested than I had ever seen him. Smiling he said.

“ nova nexus, Karin pictorial welcome to the cerulean academy of modern teak.”

The van entered a large clearing in the center where a few large buildings of which there were two large apartment buildings on separate sides of a large temple-like building which I assume is the academy. The large temple-like building looks very sci-fi with neon blue lights going up and diagonal on the walls. Also, the walls look to be made out of some black material. As we drove up to the temple Karin was wide-eyed and gawking at the academy. Pulling up to the temple front entrance there are about two dozen other identical vans in the parking lot. As the van pulled up behind another van the driver said leaning back to see us.

“ you two need to go inside and tell the person at the front desk that you are new students and tell them what they want to know they will give you your dorm rooms and give you keys to your rooms.”

“ ok. By the way, what is your name?” I said almost entirely out of the van.

“ My name is Owen,” Owen said looking confused as to why I wanted to know his name. Entering the academy building the entrance has a twenty-foot entrance hall that opens up into a large room with some couches in the middle with some students talking and lounging on them talking. I noticed that one of the students had a large gunmetal mask encasing his entire head.  On my right, there is a double desk with two people behind them and a peg board with keys behind them many of the pegs are gone. Turning to face them I said.

“ Hello. We are new students and we would like to acquire the keys to our rooms.”

“ Well, you are the most formal student we have encountered today. What are your and your friend's names?” the woman said opening a drawer with what looked like files inside.

“ My name is nova nexus and this is Karin pictorial,” I said.

“ ok, well that's a stroke of luck. You both will live in the same dorm. Dorm 205 in the left building.” She said looking up from her drawer at the man above her. As she said our dorm room he turned around and stretched his hand out to the side of the peg board. Which was many peg boards connected via door hinges. There was a large hole behind the first board which the other boards fit into almost perfectly. Above the keys, there were numbers with an L or an R before the number to indicate the left or right building. The man handed two keys to us and then preceded to poot the peg boards back into place. Leaving the temple I gave one of the keys to our room. Doing this I said.

“ so we live in the same dorm. I did not expect that we would live together.” 

“ neither did I. this is much better than I thought. This means that I can teach you how to cook rather than just bake sweets. Although you might be able to sell your baked goods.” Karin said while I held the door for her.

“ I certainly didn't expect it. The sheer chances are insane that we share a room. Just because of how many people get accepted into this academy.” I said as we are walking to the van. After entering the van Owen turned to us and asked.

“ Which building are either of you in?” 

“ We are both in the left building and are roommates,” I said grinning.

“Well, that's a stroke of luck. We don't even have to take boxes to two different dorms.” Owen said starting the van. As we neared the left building I noticed many more students hanging around the premises. Parking before the installation we all grabbed a box and went to the map to determine where our room was. Once I determined that our room was on the fourth floor. Locating the elevator I directed Karin to the elevator. Entering the elevator it looked luxurious. luxurious on the walls and Inside the elevator, there was another student who started to talk to us. He looked a few years older than I. as he said.

“You a new student?” he said looking at the box in my arms.

“ yes. What is it like here?” I asked.

“very fun there are some very inclusive products. And there are some very unorthodox offers,” he said looking upwards. 

“ o, well I'm looking forward to the next few years. Also, what is your name?” I said looking at this boy with a smile on my face.

“ My name is marcellous. What's yours?” marcellous asked suddenly intrigued.

“ My name is nova. Nice to meet you marcellous.” I said feeling the heat rise to my skin. With the door of the elevator opening, Karin left startled I had forgotten that she was in the elevator. At his realization, I felt quite embraced not remembering that she was there. Grinding at me Karin said once I caught up to her.

“ you like him. I just know it the way you talked to him and asked him his name.”

“ no. I only wanted to, too.” I said trying to think of why I talked to marcellous.

“ admit it you like him. Also your blushing.” Karin said looking at the numbers outside the doors. 

“ Never. I'll never admit it.” I said looking at Karin.

“ ok, but I'll always bring it up after you see him until you admit it,” Karin said looking at me with a smirk on her face. Shaking my head I saw a door labeled 205 in bronze letters ahead of us. Showing Karin the door I used my key to open the door and hold the door for Karin. 

Looking into the door we entered a living room with an orange carpet with red detailing in between the couch and the tv stand. With a finished wood coffee table on top of it. with the kitchen's marble island directly agar from it. The room smelled of bleach and cleaners. looking around the room there are two white doors with gunmetal handles parallel to each other going into both, I found out that they are both bedrooms. Looking at Karin I told her and said.

“let's put the boxes in the living room and then chose our bedrooms.”

“ ok, let's focus on getting everything in here,” Karin said putting the box on the coffee table. Getting all of our boxes inside our room took almost an hour even with the lift. Once we got all of our boxes inside we explored the rooms in more depth and found a mini fridge on the nightstand. And a bookshelf on the wall above the bed. There is also a copper light that moves on a hinge on the bookshelf to read in bed.

 There are more identical bathrooms outside each bedroom door. So there are no advantages to another room. With there being no advantage to either room we decided to flip a coin on it. I ended up taking the left room and Karin taking the right room. grabbing my boxes I moved them into the left room. Looking at the boxes I flopped on the bed not wanting to unpack.

 After a little bit of contemplating, I decided to unpack my clothes since there are so few. I started to find my clothes in the jumble of boxes and after ten minutes found the box containing my clothes. Moving it to the top of the bed. Unpacking the items from the box I looked around for the dresser in the room finding it on the other side of the bed. Loading my clothes into the dresser drawer.

 Once that was done I decided to go and look for food in the kitchen. crossing into the living room I saw no one in the room. I assumed that Karin was unpacking her stuff unlike me. Crossing through the living room into the kitchen. I noticed that the kitchen was about half the size of my room. Also, the counters were completely clear of all electronics except a microwave. 

There is also a screen on the back wall in between the cabinets. Looking at the screen I taped it to see if anything would happen and to my surprise, the screen lighted up blinding me for a moment. Holding my hand up above my face to help my eyes adjust. Once my eyes had adjusted what was on the screen amazed me! It was a full fast food menu as if they combined many items from the most popular fast food restaurants. Scrolling through the menu I saw better versions of some of the most popular fast food items. Wondering what would happen if I clicked something I clicked on some chicken tenders, and another screen popped up with what looked like sides on it I chose tater tots. Waiting for a few minutes I wondered if the screen did anything at all when a tray with chicken tenders and tater tots came up from under the counter. Confirming my former suspicions of it being a delivery system.  Taking the tray to my room to watch tv I thought about telling Karin about the screen but decided against it and went to my room. In my room, I noticed a device on top of the dresser. Picking up the device it looked the shape of a fat almond with a led light in the middle of the tip of the device. near the more circular part of the device was a circular touchpad. The smooth metal of the device looked as if it was suposed to be implanted into something. Placing the device back on top of the dresser I played on the bed picking up the tv remote when Karin opened the door. 

“ hay what are we going to do about food… where did you get that?” Karin asked. 

“There is a screen in the kitchen and you can order food. Here I'll show you.”I said getting up and walking to the kitchen. after I showed Karin how to use the screen I said. “ and that's it.” 

“When did you figure this out?” Karin said crossing her arms.

“a few minutes ago,” I said. 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Karin said.

“ I didn’t want to bother you,” I said.

“ ok well, why don't we eat our food and go to bed? Is that a good idea?” Karin asked.

“Yes, your right we better get to bed,” I said gloomily. As I hadn't realized that it was currently ten thirty-eight at night.

“Once we have dinner thou. It looks like you need that.” Karin said looking down at me. So that night \we ate delicious food and talked about the time to come.

✯✯✯

That night I was riddled with nightmares of many different things whose skin looked like liquid metal and were constantly changing. They looked as if they could transform into anything they wanted. I also saw a masculine figure fighting them alongside, ME! I looked as if I had a ninja suit on holding an elemental weapon that I could control. At some times it was a bow and at others, it was a katana or a dagger. It was as if I and the figure beside me were fighting for our lives. When I was abruptly woken up by a booming voice.

That morning I was woken up by a lady's voice on an intercom. Announcing that there is an assembly today at noon and all students are obligated to come. Also, students need to bring the device on their dressers. And for new students to follow the map in their room to get to the auditorium. Knowing that I had dreamt about something I tried to recall it but alas I remembered nothing of my dream that night.

“ what do you think that's about?” I said groggily. I was seated still in my pajamas at the counter where Karin was eating breakfast.

“probably going to tell us how things are going to work here,” Karin said shrugging. Karin was dressed in skinny jeans and a dark purple t-shirt. She had made us bacon, eggs, and toast for breakfast. Knowing that I have little to no experience with cooking. In addition to the intercom, I had woken up to the smell of bacon and eggs cooking. Rushing my shower about five minutes along to examine the smell I was woken up to. I walked into the living room and saw Karin cleaning the kitchen. Walking into the kitchen I asked Karin if she had cooked breakfast. In response she pushed a plate toward me sitting down I started to eat. Once I was done I asked her what the announcement was about not being awake enough to understand it. She had told me that there was an assembly later today and that we would haft to bring the device that is on the top of our dresser. I pondered this for a second. the device could be used for any number of things. although I had a sneaking suspicion that it would have something to do with the fact that we bought no more than one week's worth of clothes. Although it could be nothing like that I still thought that it was somehow related. 

“ what do you think it does? It doesn't look very advanced nor have I found out anything about it by fiddling with it.” I said vaguely. 

“ it probably has something to do with our term. It could also hold information like a hard drive.”Karin said taking the last bites of her bacon.

“ I suppose that would make sense. But if we want to store data we could guest put it no sunspot and kitsune.” I said waving a piece of egg on my fork.

“There are undoubtedly some people who don't have smart bots and need something to store information on. Also, it could be a way for the teachers to learn about us.” Karin said putting her elbows on the counter. “ also I'm planning on walking around the school today you can join me if you want. But I'm planning on leaving soon so if you want to come you should get dressed.” 

“When are you planning to leave? “ I said straining to look at the digital clock behind me. 

“ within the next hour. Also, it is seven-fifteen.” Karin said looking at the binary clock on the wall.  “ you need to learn how to read a clock. You won't always have your phone or a device at all.”

“ your right I should. I'll come with you. Also, we should put on bug spray since we are in the middle of a forest.” I said finishing my breakfast. At that Karin got up, took my plate, then put both in the sink. Walking away I wondered if I had even bought bug spray. Inside my room, I sifted through my bag to find a pair of clothes that I liked. Finding a pair of blue jeans and a pink tank top with the words teak written on it in bold lettering with a black motherboard under it. Although not finding a can of bug spray was disappointing it wasn't the end of the world. Meeting Karin in the living room she looked at me with skeptical eyes.

“ so, we're going for girlish today. Not fierce. , Good choice.” Karin said inspecting my outfit.

“ IO wants to make friends. Who going to want to be friends with me if I’m going for fierce.” I said putting my hands on my hips.

“ I think people should be honest about themselves. Espeshily on their first confrontation,” Karin said looking at me with a piercing gaze.

“ ok, first of all, you shouldn't discern anything about a person by their clothes And I will be myself anyways no matter what I'm wearing,” I said pointing my finger at her.

“ ok, ok your right. Let's just get going.” Karin said holding her hands up. So we turned off all the lights and left the apartment. As far as I could tell the rest of the apartments are the same. The hallway was bland but when we went outside it was beautiful they looked like a gleaming pillar on the sides of a great dojo with the sun shining. The main building was still black but the lights were no longer turned on and looked like a large black mass without the lights to define the corners and edges. It was difficult to find the entrance without the lights but once we got inside I ran into marcellous coming out. 

“ ow I'm so sorry. are you ok?” I said franticly getting up to see if he was ok.

“I'm fine. It's okay it happens all the time. They need to change the color this year. You can't tell anything without the lights.” Marcellus said rubbing his head.

“ it can be different colors?” I said extremely skeptical of the statement.

“ ow ya. It's a different color each year last year it was so white it was like a beacon. And the year before that it was sky blue as I was told.” marcellous said getting up. 

“ well, then they should change it at least to a different shade of black,” I said looking at marcellous.

“ do you want to come with me to the lab with me?” marcellous said stuttering. “ if you don't that's fine. It's just.” 

“ yes, I would love to.” I said feeling an odd fluttering in  my stomach. “ if it's ok with you.”  I said lifting my hand to Karin.

“ of course, you two go have fun. It is good to have some alone time.” Karin said turning around to walk around the building. Leaving the main building with marcellous he led me to another much smaller building he calls the lab.

“This is where we test some of our latest teaks. Once a student comes up with an idea they come here to draft, finalize, make, and test their invention.” marcellous said with his arms behind his back. Raising an eyebrow I asked.

“ is anyone allowed to do this?” 

“ yes as long as it is within our power to create. Of course, we have more of that power than even NASA. So if you need a rundown on what is still impossible ask one of the people in the testing room. What do you say we look at what they are working on.” marcellous said slyly. Even outside of the testing room, loud noises were coming from it. It sounded as if someone Was making a giant robot inside. Walking inside it was even louder what I had heard I found was simply gas releasing from a faulty pipe. There was a giant glass box in the middle of the room on an elevated surface. Inside the box was a terrifying sight it looked to be a robot holding a bolt of lightning.

Chapter 4 The lab


I was so caught up with the bolt of lighting I had not noticed the about twenty people in white coats in the room. Each one of them where controlling some form of dial or lever or just taking notes and once the lighting disappeared one of them walked up to us and said.

“Marcellus it's nice to see you again. And who is this young lady?” 

“ eon this is nova she is a first-year,” Marcellus said getting behind me and putting his hands on my shoulder.

“ ha, so you're a ladies' man now. man, you have a lot of skills, my friend. You must have your priorities straight.” eon said with a wide grin on his face.

“ ok ok, you got me. So what are you testing today eon?” marcellous said coming back to my side.

“ I can't tell you exactly but I can tell you that it has to do with elemental energy. Also, we are very pressed for time. This is suposed to be unveiled to the student body later today. So if we don't stabilize this last element we won't have it in the presentation and it may come off as lazy so we are making a last-ditch effort right now. Sadly none of our efforts have made a difference. It's as if it doesn't want to be controlled. If either of you have an idea we would like to hear it.” eon ranted.

“ one thing you could do is attach a power converter to it,” Marcellous suggested.

“ but that would convert the energy we need for it to work,” eon said distressed. He sounded as if the thing marcellous had just suggested was blasphemy. Although b h I didn't particularly understand it myself.

“Not if you set it to lighting.” marcellous said raising his hand.

“ so you want to use the power converter to suck the lighting in and then just let it back out unchanged. It's not a bad idea although I think we can make a few changes. Follow me.” eon said waving his hand and leading us out of the room. He leads us into the hallway to the very last door. then he said with a smile. 

“I think we will be able to work it out in here.” eon said opening the door.

He lead us into the brightest room I had ever been in. it was so white I was temporarily blinded. but once my eyes adjusted I saw workbenches lined on the walls and toolboxes on them every so often. There were also peg boards on the walls with everything from wrenches to torches on them. When eon entered the room he started looking for something. After about ten minutes he pulled out a blue piece of paper. then went to a workbench moved some things aside and waved us toward him. He rolled out a blueprint of a device I had never seen before but by the look on marcellous face, he knew. Then eon said.

“This is the blueprint for our power converters. Marcellous I think you are on to something. But I have an idea that may work. So you can't just have a power converter not convert but still take power in. it's not possible. But we can take the power intake mechanism and put only that on. Then we can use mental imagery to show how we want the released power to form. Meaning that we can choose how the electricity will react with its surroundings.” eon said disappointed with the looks of complete confusion on our faces.

“ so we can control what shape it takes?” marcellous asked incredulously.

“ yes exactly,” eon said leaning back and raising his hands slightly.

“so we can control what it looks like?” I asked

“Also yes.” eon said getting up. “theodicy you could have the energy look like anything from a leaf on a tree to a replica of your head.” eon turned and pointed at me. “ so we need to get this conversion mechanism. Let's get to it.” eon said pulling what I recognized as a power converter out of a drawer. We studied the blueprint and the converter for what seemed like hours. I wasn't much help all I did was sit and wait for them to ask me to get them a tool which I failed at getting the right tool many times. Every so often I pointed out a screw that they missed or a mechanism that held something. Every once in a while someone would come and see if we were ready for testing. they would be disappointed when we said no.

 I decided to inspect the room a little more closely. The wall that eon had gotten the blueprint from was filled with the same type of paper but with items sketched on them that I had no idea what they were. I found a blueprint for the device that was on my dresser labeled O.C.S. . I had no idea what that meant. and could not find any definition on the print. although I did not find anything else in The rest of the room that was as interesting as the blueprint wall. 

Going back to the others a gleam hit my eye from a glass box. Interested I went to see what was inside the box. Once I was close enough I saw a curved metal blade. Now even more curious I noticed that the box and label were riddled with dust as if no one had touched it in a long time. Rubbing the dist of the plack it read “ this katana killed the king of the yang and ended their rule over us during the civil war of 2025.”.  Inspecting the blade a little closer there was a long crevice from the hilt to the end of the blade. The crossguard had an intricate design of a yin and yang symbol. This seemed particularly that it killed the king of the yang and has a yin and yang symbol on it. The handle had twin dragons curving around the handle. This is also a symbol of yin and yang. The weapon was pristine it looked as if it could still kill yang. Suddenly eon appeared over my shoulder saying.

“ so you have found the sword of the great apex. He was a mighty hero and one we can learn from. His lesson is never giving up and never surrender… anyway come we must test our new invention.”

 as we were walking to the testing room I thought about what he said. The great apex. I must learn more about his store. Mabie, I should ask marcellous once we test the lighting rod. As I call it. Labeling it in my mind I went back to the task at hand. The first thing I heard eon said startled me.

“ so who wants to test the device?” 

This utterly dumbfounded me he wants us to go inside the box and test the device while hoping not to get electrocuted.

“ nova how about you? you can have your first testing session testing the technology that we will be showing the student body. How's that?” eon asked starting to lean over me. My legs were frozen solid. I was paralyzed with fear at that sentence. The only thing I could say was.

 “o-o-ok.” 

with a very noticeable quiver in my voice. imedeintly one of the people shoved a pair of rubber gloves into my hands. then told me to walk into the case once eon opened the door. A few seconds later eon clicked a button and a large piece of glass moved into the floor. I looked at Marcellous who was holding the rod. As I held out my hand he said seeing how scared I was.

“It's not that bad you will be all right.” he put the rod in my hand and I walked up into the large glass box. Once I was inside eon clicked the button and the glass reappeared from the ground and slid back into place. Then I heard eons voice over the speakers in the room.

“ nova I need you to put the gloves on and plug the end of the wire protruding from the wall into the bottom of the rod.” 

“ ok what's next,” I said looking around the room once I had done both commands.

“Now I need you to grip the rod and don't move when the lighting starts to extrude. It will take a few moments.” eon said into the microphone on the desk. Griping the rod as firmly as I could I nodded to eon to signal that I was ready. He nodded at me then started to press an absurd amount of buttons. Then he said. “ once I give you the go-ahead I want you to think about the shape you want the lightning to take.” he then pressed one button and there was a faint humming sound in the room. After a few moments, a burst of lightning burst out of the tip of the rod. It wasn't as unpredictable as it was before. it was extruded in a general area in front of the rod and not it being just everywhere. Could this be because of the changes we had made or was it because a sentient being was holding it? I franticly looked at eon hoping that I could see the ok to shape it. Eon caught my eye and gave and nod his head. I focused on the only weapon I had in my head the sword of apex. The lightning started to become more and more condensed forming the shape of the sword I had seen outside. I felt something shift under my hands and found that the rod had changed into an exact copy of the hilt of the sword! Then suddenly the lightning disappeared and the rod shifted back into its normal state. Then the door fell to the ground and I heard shouts of “yes and finally and it works”. Disconnecting the back of the rod. stepping out of the box I gave the gloves back to the person who gave them to me. Then turned and faced eon. 

“ yes,” I said to his ecstatic face.

“This is exactly what we wanted.” eon almost yelled throwing his hands into the air. “ the lightning can be controlled and shaped not just that it is stable. Fo course we will need to run more extensive tests and for longer later. But the fact that it worked is so mind-blowing. this changes everything.” eon said lingering on the last sentence a little longer than I was comfortable with. Looking at marcelous over eon's shoulder he gave a slight shrug and taped eon on the back.

“ hay nova I need to check on something it won't take long just wait for a few minutes,” marcelious said turning around to look at eon.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.