Tales of Archfield | Teen Ink

Tales of Archfield

By HevesShallReign, St.louis, Missouri
HevesShallReign, St.louis, Missouri

Author's note:

Hello my fellow Writers and Readers, My name is Ian and if you're reading this, you're probably going to or have already read my story. First of all, thank you, and now if you don't mind I'm gonna tell you more about the maker behind the ink. Growing up in the suburban area of St. Louis you could always see me behind some sort of screen whether that be a t.v or a video game, it filled me with inspirations of great imagination, which was very often supported by my loving parents, this led me to create many books inspired by games I used to play with my friends, and when you read my story I hope you're filled with that similar magic that I've been. 

Welcome to the world where myth and machine live intertwined, From its sapphire skies being pierced by its golden eye. This is Archfeild, a land filled with Dragons and Fairies, large mammoths of metal and steel, and one grand city to see over it all. But our adventure doesn’t start with any of that. No… not in the slightest for our story begins in a hut deep inside the jade forest of Yaderairdo, where we see Sam sleeping.

“Come on Sam!!!” He pouted shaking his sister awake, “You and Luka promised today would be the day.” Sam half-awake slowly got up from her makeshift bed of leaves and twigs, brushing her crimson hair out of her eyes. ”Yea I know, just go find Lupé and I’ll be right out.” she yawned.

Lupé made his presence known remarking, “I’ve been here the entire time while you were busy being lazy like always.” He grinned putting one hand in his platinum blonde hair. “Now will you hurry up? We have ourselves a boar to kill.” Luka threw a bag at her as she put on her dirtied, sun-faded blue shirt saying, “You know one of these days I’m gonna start calling Miguel your older brother.”

Sam mocked his nagging jokingly before flipping him the bird, grabbing the bag, and saying, “Yea yea, momentai Lupé let’s get this show on the road.” Lupé just shrugged and went out of the hut as Sam and Miguel followed. They made their way out of the village and as Miguel was kicking a rock and playing with a stick they began to discuss their lives.

“Do you ever wonder if there’s anything more out there for you, Sam?” Lupé asked looking upwards. “Like, besides the village, or sleeping or hunting day in and day out. Isn’t there anything more you want out of life?” He looked at Miguel sobermly. “I know I haven’t been around as often, but in that time I saw things Sam, things I don’t want anyone else to see.” 

Sam put one hand on her dear friend’s shoulder and brought him in for a side hug, ‘I mean that’s how you’re supposed to comfort people right?’ She thought to herself. They stopped and Lupé began to stiffen up. He broke away and went to Miguel taking his brimmed hat and putting it on his own head before giving it back. Miguel looked up at his older brother figure and grinned his face glowing gold in the light between the trees. As the two boys began to walk with each other, Sam started sharpening her knife. They went into the heart of the woods where they saw bushes filled with berries, which made Miguel happy as he started to pick them but just before he put them in his mouth, Sam knocked them out of his hand. 

“Miguel you idiot, those are Yiznapps Berries, and unless you wanna have a reeeeal bad trip home, or rather even be able to get home. I suggest you don’t start eating random s**t you find in a bush if you have no idea what they are.” Sam scolded her brother. Miguel turned red and just stayed quiet. 

“To be fair they do look similar to the common Nikwell Berries that we used for that one jam that you seemed to enjoy so much.” Lupé interjected vouching for Miguel, “Besides it’s his first time out here so far, he wouldn’t know”, it didn’t seem to help though as Sam was still in a sour mood at the moment, but eventually she mellowed out.

Time passed as they waited for their prey to make its appearance. As it was nearing noon, they were debating whether or not to just go home, but then suddenly a QuadHorn Deer came out from the brush of the forest. Quickly Lupé and Miguel got the net ready, as Sam sat there gripping her hunting knife with malice. Lupé and Miguel flanked the deer from the left and right as Sam rushed at it aiming for its neck and the deed was done. Bloodied and dirty the children took their prize back to the hut where it had already started to get dark. Exhausted and hungry Lupé began cooking. 

“I need one of you to go get started on the salad,” Lupé said over his shoulder to his two friends. Sam got up stretching and walked over to help. Getting the cooking knife laying beside the table. 

“Hold up!’’ Lupé said sharply, grabbing her hand. “Look how dirty these things are, wash your damn hands.” Sam, albeit a bit annoyed, got he told her after she already went to cut the vegetables, washed her hands and showed him.

“Is this good enough for you, dearest mother of mine?” She said sarcastically, jokingly putting both hands in his face.

“Hey, careful I have a knife you know.” He said back, laughing as he put the knife down to move her hands out of his face. Miguel watched the whole exchange sitting there grinning as he tidied up the place. They went on laughing and grinning the entire time they were cooking till it was ready. They sat around the table talking about the day and plans for tomorrow. 

“You know Miguel you were really handy with that hunting net, have you’ve been practicing while I was away fishing?” Sam asked her little brother with much interest.

“Maybe a little, I just wanted to pull my own weight.” He said looking down twirling his fork. Lupé put a hand on his younger brotherlike friend and nodded, reaffirming he did a good job, it seemed to get through to Miguel because he was back to his happy self in no time. Dinner passed and they were all finished eating. After they cleaned up they just laid down looking at the sky. The night sky was always lit at night by stars and the pixies, shining their bright blues, greens, purples, and reds, illuminating like a rainbow. 

“I think it’s time we wash up,” Sam said. “I still smell like deer guts.” The boys agreed as they went off to the lake to clean themselves. The lake reflected the night sky like a mirror, even in the darkest of nights you could make yourself out if you looked hard enough. Lupé and Miguel finished up first and sat waiting for Sam.

“You guys go on ahead I’ll meet you guys there.” She yelled from across the lake. The boys nodded and went off into the woods back to their hut. Sam spent her time in the lake thinking about what Lupé said. What if this is all she is, Miguel’s gonna go off to do amazing things as she sticks behind… that isn’t the life she wants for herself. She thought about it more before she got out of the lake to dry off. She was about halfway to the hut when she heard Lupé calling for her yelling.

“SAM!!! ARE YOU THERE? WE’RE IN SOME DEEP S**T!!!” She heard in the not far off distance. Immediately she started booking it to the boys and as she got there she saw Lupé covered in dirt and Miguel holding what seemed to be a dimly glowing pixie. 

“What happened?” Sam asked bewildered at the sight. Miguel was holding the pixie close to his chest mumbling to himself.

“We don’t know, it just came out of the woods asking for help but as soon as we got to it, she already fainted,” Lupé said to her still gasping for breath.

“There’s nothing we can do now, we’ll have to wait until morning. For now, let’s get it somewhere to rest.” She said, still trying to grasp onto what’s happening. Miguel placed her down on his pillow as they all watched her, wondering what in the hell would have caused this before they all went to bed. Sam tried to sleep that night but she stayed up the whole night thinking, ‘This pixie… What if this is her calling? What if my calling is to help her out?  If that’s the case then there’s no chance I’m letting this slip away. We need to help her no matter what.’ She looked over at the pixie's crystalized pink body clinging close to Miguel’s tattered yellow shirt using his dark red haori coat as a blanket. They now have a new member of their family.