Fight to Victory | Teen Ink

Fight to Victory

By TheSonOfVoldemort, Williamsport, Pennsylvania
TheSonOfVoldemort, Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Fight Tonight.
Reigning Champion
Vick Vargas
Vs.
Daniel Addington
Vick read the sign as it rained sideways on him. It was the year 1963 in the middle of autumn, so rain was a normal occurrence. Vick’s tattered dark green tailcoat with brass buttons, tight brown pants, and boots with an eccentric number of buckles, were soaking wet. His goggles didn't do anything to keep his moppy mess of hair dry either.
Vick lived in a world where dragons were used to protect the realm. Inside this realm were ten smaller cities: The Ice Cavern, Magician’s Cove, City of Flames, Electric Isle, Cosmic Canyon, The Capital, Water Metropolis, Critter Village, Tornado Point, and Steampunk City. Within these city’s roamed beautiful dragons; they come in different colors and sizes, varying in abilities.
While these mythical beasts were used to protect, they were also used in illegal dragon fight clubs. There was an entire community dedicated to them, for god's sake. There were bars, dragon fight clubs, music, and fun. Nothing better than a community that gave you never ending support. Their steampunk town lived about 60 miles away from the capital. It wasn't that difficult to get away with things compared to Magician's Cove, which is just a short walk from the capital.
Vick was born into a family of dragon fighters, his father, Aaron Vargas was the greatest fighter to ever step foot in that ring. He died in a fight with a man named Martin Bashford.
Vick kicked the ground and sent water flying. He will redeem his father and their family's legacy. Vick took large strides down an empty alley and came upon a brick wall. He ran his hand upon the wall until he came upon a certain brick.
It was over eight and up two. He pressed it and the bricks opened up like one of the mansion's doors in the capital. There was a large slope that went into darkness, being pierced by bright bubblegum pink and cotton candy lights coming from the stages with music playing. Vick trudged down the ramp towards the light and sound.
Vick walked into an incredibly large room. There was a huge space in the center for all the fights. There were steel bars that made a circle around the area. There was a small crowd of people around the stage with a band playing loud rock music. Vick never understood music, what's the point of taking up precious silence with sound.
Vick made his way to the bar. The seats were torn, and the metal bar had a bunch of dents in it from previous fights. The drunkards throwing fists at people that beat them in bets.
"Hey Rachel," Vick stated dully to the woman behind the bar cleaning a cup.
She had flowing auburn hair that was pulled up into a long ponytail. Her skirt was flowy and short. Her torso was covered with a suit that had a maroon bow tie that complimented the dark colors. She also wore a brown and gold top hat that perfectly finished her outfit.
"Hey Vick, isn't it a little early to be drinking?" She asked. Vick never wore a watch or kept track of time. For Vick, drinking time was all the time.
"It's never too early to drink."
Rachel handed a beer to Vick and chuckled.
"You gotta stay sober if you wanna win the fight tonight."
"I'm not letting any newbie take me down." Vick's confidence wasn't high, nor was it low. He had been training his whole life as a dragon fighter, he wasn't about to lose to some up and comer.
"Whatever you say champ." Rachel responds and shrugs. There was no one else at the bar. Well, there was one guy, but he was dead asleep. Probably got black out drunk yesterday.
Vick quickly finished his drink, not wanting to waste anytime. He needed to get his dragon ready.
"Here, give this to Miranda,” she handed Vick a carrot. She always had a stash of carrots for Miranda, his dragon.
“Poor thing has to deal with you everyday.” Vick swiped the carrot out of her hand. Rachel was the only one that can insult him without feeling the wrath of his insults, threats, and violence. She was a good person…and she gave him free beer.
Vick walked through some twists and turns through dark corridors until he arrived at a huge stable-like thing. It was simply a room that was missing a wall and had a rope in front of it. There was a little hole in the wall that let the little to no daylight in.
Vick then saw his large beast. Miranda was a black dragon with purple eyes that they practically glowed. Her scales were covered in dust from lying on the floor. She wore the horns on his head like a crown. She was the queen of all dragons, she was beautiful.
Vick pet the mythical beast with love. Despite what you may think when you first see her, Miranda was a very docile creature until Vick told her to be otherwise.
“Look what I picked up from Rachel,” Vick smirked and handed her the carrot. The big dragon ate the entire carrot in one bite. Vick caressed Miranda pleasantly as the beast let out a huff of happiness.
"I'm gonna go get ready for the fight, you stay here." Vick patted Miranda one more time before going to a small bathroom. He looked in the cracked mirror. Nothing in this place was well kept. He pulled hair band off of his wrist that was covered by his fingerless gloves.
He bunched up the back of his hair and left his bangs alone. He left his goggles on the top of his head. Vick cocked his head to see himself better in the mirror. His mother always tried to cut his hair when he was a kid. She said that he’d never get a wife if he kept his hair this messy. Vick didn’t want a wife, he just wanted to stay focused on competing. There was no time for love in his life.
Vick walked out of the dingey bathroom and stared at his dragon that was now asleep. Her foot was incredibly swollen and infected from everything in her past.
Poor old girl.
Vick bought her off of a cranky old man that poured years of abuse into this dragon. That was 12 years ago, yet he remembered it like it was yesterday.
Vick was walking down the street of the incredibly metallic town. His old dragon just died from old age and he was in the market for a new one. His town seemed incredibly shifty. It was awfully quiet all the time, no busy bodies ever. It was……..unnatural.
Each of the 10 cities had a different magical ability. The Ice Cavern had Ice abilities, and Magician's Cove had basic magic that needed a wand to be of any use, fire had fire, and so forth. Everyone had magic, well everyone except the Steampunk City. The small city was looked down upon by other regions and was forced to build weapons for the capital. They used them for war.
Idiots.
They have a supply of the best dragons, why would they need guns? It didn’t matter to Vick. People bought all his supplies. He mainly made and fixed artificial limbs. There was an unnaturally high demand for them. He kept the prices low, understanding that the city was awfully poor. The points is, Steampunk City was the bottom of the barrel.
Vick was walking down the street when he saw it, a dragon. A relatively young one. At first glance, Vick couldn't tell the gender, but after examining the pen filled with dragons, it was obvious that this place was an illegal breeder.
Illegal breeders were the lowest of the low. They bred dragons and sold them for the highest bidder. It was usually cruel, and this was no exception. The dragon was whimpering as other dragons brutally attacked her.
Usually things like this didn't bother Vick. It was normal to see things like this. He didn't like it…….no one did. Even the illegal fighters, the drunkards, and criminals. It was wrong, but normal.
This time though, it upset, no, angered Vick. He walked over to the outdoor pen and hopped over the fence. He pulled out a gun and waved it at the dragons, hoping that they understood what that meant.
They all slowly backed away to expose the small black dragon. Her ankle was swollen and she was obviously exhausted. Vick picked up the creature that was the size of a small dog.
"Oi!" Vick turned around to see a grumpy old man that looked like he hadn't showered in days. His skin was baggy, like the old tea bags that Vick pulled out of his mug everyday. His hair was greasy and long. His clothes were covered in stains and he was missing an eye. He didn't fit in with the entire steampunk atmosphere.
"I'm taking your poor dragon. This is illegal and corrupt." Vick spoke flatly, not wanting to argue. He was disgusted by this man's actions.
"You're in a dragon fight club! That's more cruelty than a simpleton trying to make an honest buck!" He shouted and waved his fist in the air as if he was cursing it.
"The buck you're trying to make is anything but honest, but I'll give some to you anyways. I'll give you 16 billings." Billings was the form of currency shared around the realms. It was a fairly small amount, but they used it anyways.
"Pashaw! 50!" The man shouted and gave a chuckle afterwards.
"20, that's my final offer. She's injured, which brings down her worth." Vick looked the man up and down, trying to read his expression. His forehead was wrinkled as his eyebrows knitted together.
"Fine, just take her and leave." Vick set the dragon down and pet her head lovingly. It was his way of saying: 'Don't worry, you're safe now.' The small dragon purred in response.
Vick pulled out the billings and handed them to the old man. He flipped through the money to make sure that there is enough and hobbled into his small shack of a house.
Vick climbed over the fence again and walked to his house while cradling the dragon. Once home, Vick gave the dragon some water and food.
Despite the fact that they breath fire, dragons need water. All living things do. Vick stared at the small beast as it devoured the food in front of it.
Poor thing, must've been starving. Vick let Miranda get the bed that night while he slept on the floor. His house was tiny and he had no idea how he would raise a dragon in this setting, but he would sure try.
Rachel later let Vick keep Miranda in the abandoned room at the club. Vick was glad he grabbed that opportunity. With the size of Miranda, there was no way he'd be able to keep her in his house.
Vick looked at the swollen ankle. He couldn't afford to get a vet to look at her. He did the fight club all night and worked all day. He got minimum pay for both of these tasks. He was just praying that it will get better. That dragon was his only family left.
He nudged Miranda in hopes of getting her up without shocking her. The dragon huffed tiredly.
"I know, but we gotta get out there and fight. We'll show 'em who's boss." Vick kept stroking her head. He really wanted to just let her rest, maybe if he just-
His thoughts were interrupted by the ear-piercing sound of the whistle telling fighters to come into the ring. In all honesty, Vick didn't want to go into the ring.
Miranda was getting older and was hurt. He didn't want to hurt her, but he couldn't make a fool of himself by not showing up. What would his dad say if he were here?
Vick shook himself out of his poisonous fix. His dad wasn't important right now, all he needed to do was go out there and beat this newbie. He wished that he could afford a vet, but he can't.
"C'mon girl. We're gonna show him that we're the best." Vick just wanted the gentle giant to be able to rest, but he needed to get out there.
Miranda stood up slowly, her motions were staggered and it looked like she was in so much pain. It broke Vick's heart watching her in this state. After everything they had been through together.
Vick climbed on top Miranda. Most people rode their dragons with a saddle, it was beneficial. You could carry weapons, food, and water; really whatever you want. Vick always rode without one though.
It allowed him to move around more freely. He was able to move around more and manipulate things around him better. It was also just more comfortable for both Vick and Miranda.
They walked out of the room and into the ring where they were met with cheers from everyone. Vick looked up to see another dragon that was white with blue stripes covering it.
An ice dragon. There were many dragons, the most common being fire ones. Others were ice, electricity, and wind. Vick had a fire dragon, and had only ever fought fire dragons, so this was going to be a new experience for Vick.
Rachel was standing in the center of the circle with her hands on her hips. He stares at the adult on the dragon. He had short white hair and incredibly pale skin. He was wearing baby blue pants and brown boots with fluff on the inside. His turtleneck sweater was snow white and a little too big for his small body.
Ah snow, Vick had never seen snow, but he heard stories. He heard the you have to dress up in big coats if you don't want to freeze to death. He heard that you could build a man out of it! He also heard that you should not eat yellow snow.
It was obvious he, oh what was his name again…...Daniel was from the Ice Cavern. Vick was ecstatic about this fight.
"Alright everyone. The rules are: everything goes as long as you don't fall off your dragon." Rachel belted and looked at Vick and then Daniel. Rachel walked out of the ring and quiets the insane crowd.
"You guys ready!" She shouts enthusiastically. Vick stared down the small man sitting on the dragon. Vick smirked confidently while Daniel stared him down just as Vick did to him. He had ocean blue eyes and a bright teeth when he smiled.
"Never been more ready," Vick mumbled.
"Same here!" Daniel replied happily.
"Alright! Ready, Set, Go!" Rachel shouted and the entire crowd went wild. The two of us circled around the ring calmly, planning their attack. Daniel was the first to strike, causing a sheet of ice to form on the ground. Miranda opened her enormous wings and flew up before the ice could hit her. As Miranda bounded up, she released her fire on the ground and melted the ice as Daniel continued firing barrages of icicles at her.
Vick scowled at this. Daniel was incredibly talented and skilled for a beginner. He was quick to find Vick’s weakness and use it against him.
Daniel knew that Miranda was slow because of her size. Vick couldn't keep this up for
to long, and Daniel knew it. Vick landed onto the ground in a not-so-graceful manner.
There was a small patch of ground where she could somewhat stand up straight. Vick scrunched up his face and shouted:
“Miranda! Fireball!”
Miranda opened up her mouth and shot out a blazing ball of pure heat. The ball was smaller than one that would come from a younger, healthier dragon. Daniel knew that this attack was coming and his dragon with shot icicles into the air.
As they rained down they extinguished the fireball before it came near the small male sitting on the beast. Vick then realized that he wasn’t gonna win this fight with fire power, he needed to outsmart Daniel.
It was as if everything happened in slow motion. Vick jumped off of Miranda gracefully and grabbed onto the reins of Daniel’s dragon. He almost lost his grip, but thankfully held tight due to his fingerless gloves. Vick swung around and kicked Daniel off the saddle of his dragon before letting go of the reins and launching himself back onto Miranda.
Vick landed back onto Miranda as the crowd roared with excitement. This feeling of pride was overwhelming. He felt his chest swell up happily as the crowd praised him.