Axilyn Estelia: The Beginning of the End | Teen Ink

Axilyn Estelia: The Beginning of the End

By Turbo223 SILVER, Lancaster, Wisconsin
Turbo223 SILVER, Lancaster, Wisconsin

Is there a way to escape something unescapable?

Author's note:

I was inspired by a friends' Dungeon and Dragons' character for this story. I took her backstory and spun it into a short story.

A bit of an intro, leading up to the conflict

She closed the book, placed it on the table, and finally decided to walk through that door. As she gently twisted the doorknob, she heard the latch click out of place and slowly eased the door open. The door swung open, the cool air flowed through her lungs as a gentle breeze flowed by. The bright, morning sun trickled through the thick canopy of the Emyrald Forest, warming her long, forest green hair. Her eyes scanned the horizon, looking at the houses perched in the ancient, towering trees around her. Her race was bred to live in luxury, and in her own eyes, she saw the trees as her own sanctuary. As she descended the bright staircase, she heard the voices of conversation around her grow louder until she felt the luscious, flowing grass pad her feet. She felt the dew drench her leather boots, licking at the surfaces as she moved towards the main hall.

“Ah, Axilyn! How nice to finally have you,” the head guard smiled, looking down at her as she passed by towards the hall. She recognized his hearty, striking tone from her childhood and glanced at him, noting his light blue eyes, with a smile. His name, though rarely mentioned, was Taulmaril Longstrider and, in her own eyes, he was her father. Although the cause to her father’s death was unknown, Taulmaril raised her as if she was his own, teaching her the essential skills to become a lethal weapon.

“Nice to see you too, Taul,” She smiled, gently clasping his hand and moving towards the wall-less Hall of Ernor. As she stepped inside, the sunshine glistened at the wooden throne of ancient birch, the bright wood never losing its purity as the  smell of dew-drenched grass and the faint hint of smoke crept in. She peered around the room, seeing her child in his white, silken robes huddled close to Ayre, the man that Axil loved dearest. His smile seemed to brighten the room when he saw her gently settle herself into her seat next to her son, her hand gently easing through Luka’s blonde hair. As they waited, a hush flowed throughout the hall, the wind easing through like a faint breath of air, for they knew what today meant to her tribe. Every year, a feast was held in acknowledgement to the passage of winter and the dawn of spring and the finest elves were sent out to hunt. She knew that her time had come to hunt. Axil stood up, gently kissed her son’s, forehead, and looked at Ayre with a glimmer in her eyes.

“Please be safe, Axil,” Ayre softly spoke, taking her hand and softly nodding as she stepped out of the hall. Before she decided to depart, she ascended the stairs once again and opened the door into the tidy main room. As she dug through her gear, she grabbed her bow and sword, her quiver that holds an infinite supply of piercing arrows, and a good luck charm from her son, Luka. She guided her thumb over the circular charm, feeling the indentation of an elk horn. She closed her eyes and, after a moment of thought, looked at it again and smiled, shook her head and set it down, swinging the door closed behind her for the last time.

Conflict at it's highest point and the swift and bloody resolution

Cheers and horns followed her out of the towering village of Ernor and, after glancing one last time at home, faded as she wandered deeper into the forest, falling deeper into the mental game of the hunter. She quietly stepped through the forest, picking and choosing her steps as she let her sensitive ears guide her through the towering trees that have stood for a millenia. Even as minutes spun into hours, she knew exactly where she was going but something was amiss. She scanned the trees around her, listening intently for a whisper or a breath to give some clue to this feeling, however nothing gave way. She slowly drew her bow, inching deeper into the silence but, suddenly, a snap of a twig to her right was answered with a sniper-like arrow and a throaty screech. She instinctively rolled towards the noise, a makeshift spear thrown overhead through the bushes and stuck to the thick trunk of a tree behind her. She swapped her bow for her blade, bearing a rune for enchantments of attuned dexterity in the heat of battle, and burst through, parrying a heavy blade of a scimitar. She spotted two more humanoid figures ready to strike as she kicked back the charging figure, staggering him as she went in for the kill. She threw across her sword, tossing the sword out of it’s hands and followed followed with a slash down from head to toe, dropping the foul beast where it stood. She ducked, her sword, swinging low as the blade sliced through tough calf muscles, brought the beast to the ground as it howled in pain but it was short lived as the elf’s blade slid through its throat. The last beast, towering over her, was plated in thick steel, unlike its companions, and wielded a monstrous, double-bladed war-axe that radiated demonic power and fear into her heart. As she started towards the beast, the monster took a full stride ahead and swung its axe wide, whistling through the air like a heat-seeking arrow aiming towards the heart. She knelt and leapt over the axe, the air below her bursting with energy as she swung her sword towards the beast’s neck, slicing through its thick skin as it spewed a black fountain of blood.

She landed behind the beast, taking a moment to breathe, and examined one of them closer, realizing what was at play: It was a trio of orcs. She took a step back, letting her mind process and grabbed the large, lumbering orc’s helmet and took off through the bush again. She pounded her feet into the ground as she barreled past trees and small forest critters until, at a familiar hilltop, she skidded to a stop. She looked at the terror before her: the town that she knew as home was engulfed in flames and she was too late to stop them. She quickly stepped down the hill, sprinting down the path past the bodies of her friends and comrades until she arrived at the hall again. She walked inside, sword drawn, and tripped on something and fell face-first into a soft object but, after looking up, noted that it was no object, for it was Taulmaril. His light blue eyes were still open and, even with lines of blood still flowing down his face, he still wore the natural smile he could not erase. She felt tears well up in her eyes as she closed his own, gently easing his eyelids closed so that he could die peacefully, and eased herself up off his body, struggling to stand straight. As she was about to leave, she scanned the room once more and, after a moment of staring, leapt over the sea of lifeless bodies. She shoved bodies of her friends from the pile, looking for the silken robe she hand-knitted for Luka until she found it. Her eyes looked around and, after minutes of searching, gave up as she gently bowed her head before her beheaded son. She held the headless body of her son close to her, weeping loudly in mourning as smoke crept into the hall like a cloud of death. After a moment, she eased her son down, stepping past the throne once more, the bright wood now covered in splatters of blood. She stepped outside and stared at the heavy footprints in a disorganized mess, following behind as she felt her heart burn into an insatiable ember. She felt a grin creep upon her face, her mind playing the death to those responsible on repeat over and over again until it felt benign to her. She stared hard into the forest, drawing her sword and felt the world go dark around her as she disappeared into the dread-filled forest.

The night poured over her as she followed the path almost instinctively, creeping through the forest in silence as she felt the tears dry off her cheeks. Her ears picked up every rustle of a leaf or the skittering of a creature in the darkness that feared the grim aura she projected out of her. She chuckled at the thought of death, seeing that her life was stolen away by the people that burned her world to ashes and killed the ones she loved. As hours crept by, she caught sight of a faint orange glow and grinned as she slithered through the forest and peered over the bushes. A band of seven orcs slept, easily justified by the raucous of snores that bellowed into the forest, but what they had marked themselves as dead: inside a sack, a familiar head of hair flickered in the light. She felt her blood boil over but, in attempt to leave the leader alone, she crept from one orc to another and slit their throats without a whisper or a groan. As she slit the last throat, she looked upon the leader and stared for a silent moment until she drew out her sword and, in a heavy cleaver-like slice, decapitated the leader without a noise. She looked at the carnage she left around her and tossed her sword aside, feeling her heart turn to stone as she stepped away.

“Axil? Axil, are you alright?”, a small hand pushed against her arm, shaking her abruptly from her nightmare. She looked down at the tiefling, glaring hard at the now terrified, horned creature as if he was on the chopping block.

“What do you need, Macaar?”, she started, wiping the haze from her eyes as she crawled out of her cot. The air in the small room was cold, the diamond-shaped window cracked open to let the breeze flow in throughout the night. Macaar quietly backed his way towards the door, avoiding her range of attack, and eased the door open.

“Clous and the rest of the group are almost ready to go,” he squeaked, closed the door and scurried down the hallway towards the main room. Axil’s gaze fell upon her bow, reminding her of how far she had come and conquered beasts and magic along with her allies. She smiled faintly and eased the door open again, looking forward to whatever came ahead. As she closed the door, a sense of calm flowed through her, looking down the hallway to see mere emptiness and descended to friends and allies’ aid.