Halcyon | Teen Ink

Halcyon

By Mystoftime GOLD, Walnut Creek, California
Mystoftime GOLD, Walnut Creek, California

"Set your course by the stars, not by the lights of every passing ship." - Omar Bradley

Summary:

halcyon(n)
calm, peaceful
Shan-ri is a rare half-demon who lives in a world where humans know of the existence of demons and, as a result, discriminate against them. Shan-ri grew up only around demons, and his childhood was one fraught with fear and uncertainty to say the least. He later escapes from the demonic clan that raised him and is forced to make do in the world of humans.

Because he was not part of the slums or with types of demons who have learned to assimilate with humans, Shan-ri views everything to do with them with a mixture of trepidation and curiosity. He's naturally shy and withdrawn, and startlingly innocent, although he also has a sharp and cunning wit that has always been a defining trait of those with demon blood.

Later on, Shan-ri's wanderings bring him to meet Grey and Cain, a pair of underground merchants who have had plenty of dealings with humans and demons alike. His encounter with them shows him the darkest side of human-demon relations and the atrocities that are committed every day and in the simplest ways...

Peyton C.

Halcyon