SUNBURNT! | Teen Ink

SUNBURNT!

April 28, 2012
By kenzie2014 BRONZE, N/A, Illinois
More by this author
kenzie2014 BRONZE, N/A, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"But sadly I was born in the era where a 'Good Morning' text is the most romantic gesture ever."


“Ronnie what are you doing tonight?” Aubrey stood behind me with her bag in her hands and her sunglasses already on. She was all ready for summer to begin.

“Umm nothing. I was gonna chill at home.” She smiled big and pulled me aside so I wouldn't get run over by excited freshmen running down the hall.

“My mom is throwing a summer party and were meeting her boyfriends kids. I guess its getting really serious. & I want you to come. Your basically my sister. & the only one I like. So will you?” I laughed cause when ever Aubrey wanted something she'd do this thing with her eyes that made almost everyone give in.

“I guess. What time do you want me there?” She cheered and hugged me.

“7. But we'll show up fashionably late like usual!” I looked at her with a weird look on my face. “I'll come pick you up since your brother has the car for tonight.”

“ok thanks girl. Ill be ready at 7.” I started to walk away to my locker. When someone ran into me knocking my stuff on the ground. “Thank you very much.” he helped me pick up my binders.

“Sorry. Didn't really see yah there.” I didn't look up just kinda kept my eyes on the ground while picking up my books.

“No one ever sees me. I'm invisible.” He started laughing and helped me up. “than...” I looked up and noticed it was Toby Konder. The football captain, basketball star and baseball grand slam kinda guy. He was the coolest guy in the school. “Thank you.” I said with a smile on my face.

“Ronnie. What are you doing tonight?” I looked at him shocked. He had a slight smile on his face.

“you dont have plans for the first night of summer?” He shrugged his shoulders and kinda looked down. “actually I'm going to a party. But if you want you can come.” He smiled and looked into my eyes.

“Ok ill be there.” He handed me my binders and I walked past him. I could tell everyone was staring at me as I walked away. At my locker I grabbed my bag out of it and left to go home. Almost out the door, Jeremy, my brother, stopped me.

“Ronnie. I need the car. Me and Toby are going to dinner then to the party. Give me the keys.” I looked at him dumb founded.

“Um your not going. & I need a ride home then.” he grabbed the keys out of my hands.

“then Toby's not going. & fine ill drop you off at home.” I grabbed the keys back.

“i could careless if he was coming or not. & im driving home cause you drive like a old grandma.” Toby laughed behind me & I walked out of the school. Toby and Jeremy would be seniors in the fall and then after that they'd go off to college.

In the car, I took the top down and blasted the music. Toby sat in the front seat grabbing the handle to the door and Jeremy sat in the back texting someone. I was going about 90 down the country road to my house. I turned into my driveway and stopped the car outside the garage.

“You wanna come in for a bit?” He looked at me and Jeremy starstruck. I got out of the car and went inside. In the kitchen there was a note on the fridge from mom -Staying over at Shawn's for the rest of the week. 60 bucks in the cookie jar.- I took the note off the fridge and placed it on the counter. I was talking to myself when Toby walked in.

“of course. Like usual.” He looked at me confused. I shook my head and grabbed my bags off the floor. Jeremy walked in as I started walking upstairs.

“whats wrong with her?” Toby pointed to me and Jeremy shrugged his shoulder. He picked up the note on the counter and looked at me.

“ill be right back. I should go talk to her.” He ran up the stairs and knocked on my door. I walked out of my closet and looked at him. “you ok?”

“im fine.” He walked closer to me. “what pair of shorts should I wear. White or Blue?” He looked at me like I was deigning something. Which I wasnt. I didn't really care if my mom stayed 7 days at her boy friends house. She was never really a mother to me after my dad died 5 years ago.

“Squirt. I know somethings bugging you. You drove home like a maniac today. Your not yourself.” I looked at him in disgust.

“Dont call me that.” I walked into my closet and put the shorts on and grabbed my gray loose shirt from wet seal. “im fine. I just need to get out of the house. Ive been stressing over finals and I need a night to relax.” I grabbed my bag & pulled my makeup out of it.

“i know your pissed about mom not being home but its been like this for years.. ever since dad died. Ronnie you cant be mad at her for trying to get her life together.” I stood up and shook my head.

“It's been 5 years Jeremy. Why now? & getting her life together means abandoning her family. Why are you defending her in the first place?” I looked behind him to see Toby standing in the doorway. I turned away and started taking off my mascara.

“Umm Jeremy.. The guys are here.” Jeremy looked at me then turned away and went down stairs. At 7:30 Aubrey texted me telling me she was pulling in the drive way. I grabbed my sandals and went down stairs. There was at least 12 guys in my living room. The Tv was so loud I had to scream. They all looked at me at once. There was an awkward silence after that.

“Im leaving. Ill be back around 1. Bye.” I started to walk away. Toby ran into me as I walked through the doorway to the pantry. He spilled mountain dew all over his hands.

“euuww sorry bout that.?” He laughed and grabbed a towel.

“So wheres this party? Yah know in case I have to come pick you up? or I might just show up to see you.” He leaned in and kissed me. My face got bright red.

“you shouldn't of done that.” I put on my other sandal and grabbed my bag.

“why? I thought you liked me. You invited me to a party..” I looked at him guilty.

“because before today. You didn't even know who I was. Yeah I did but I felt bad for you. I did like you like 9 months ago. But then I noticed your a dick. Just like all the other guys in the school. Sorry. I guess Im not interested.” I started walking out the door when he grabbed my arm and pulled me into him and kissed me again. All the guys in the living room ohhed. Then I pushed him away. “what did I just say? Your dumber then I thought.” I stormed out the side door.

“Ronnie wait?” I climbed into Aubrey's car. As Toby came running after me. Aubrey looked shocked as we pulled away. I finished my make up in the car. Half way to her house she finally said something.

“So you wanna tell me what that was about?” I looked at her confused. “Umm Mr. Hottness running after you?”

“oh. Lets not talk about it.” She wouldnt let it go so I finally told her as we were pulling up to her house. I climbed out of the car and walked up to the front door. Aubrey made me stop. “What now? I told you what happened.?”

“Why did you do that? You've liked him since middle school. And now your finally deciding you dont like him.” I looked at her and gave her a little smirk and shrugged my shoulders.

“i guess... Now can we please go to the party.” We walked in. Her mom got the biggest smile on her face what she saw me.

“you look so pretty Ronnie. God I haven't seen you in weeks.” I smiled.

“yeah I know. I miss you guys so much. Just finals and family stuff. Ive been kinda busy.” She hugged Aubrey and we walked into the kitchen. I Basically knew everyone in Aubrey's family so I just went and said my hellos.

“Aubrey, Ronnie. Come here. I want you to meet someone.” There was a tall, blue eyes, black haired, Male standing behind her. “This is Tyson.”

“like the chicken nugget?” I tried not to laugh at Aubrey's brother's comment. But Tyson even started laughing. I just kinda smiled.

“Hi I'm Tyson. Like the chicken nugget.” He smiled. He was looking straight at me.. me and only me.

“Hi I'm Aubrey. & this is Jack.” He said hi to everyone. But me. By the time he got free of all the girls from our school. Toby showed up out of nowhere and wanted to talk.

“Ronnie look I didn't mean to come off like that. I'm sorry. But please dont turn me away without getting to know me.” I looked at him and shook my head.

“I've been waiting since 6th grade. Im sick and tired of waiting. Toby.. I bet your a great guy but I.. I just.. Ive moved on.” I started to walk past him but he grabbed my arms.

“Please Ronnie. Just one date.” I looked at him straight in the eye and kinda hesitated my no...

“Fine. One.” I started to walk away But some drunk dude came and puked on the front of my new sandals and shorts. I froze with my hands in fists by my ears. I turned around and looked at Toby. “Who's car did you bring?” He tossed the keys to me. “Tell Aubrey I'm going home cause some dude puked on me.” He shook his head. I walked to my car and opened the trunk. Toby came walking out of the house with Aubrey. I hid behind my car and changed my shorts into the white ones. And put my Nike shoes on.

“why are you leaving?” I looked at her and showed her my shorts and my new sandals. “Ronnie dont leave. Tyson wants to meet you. He said you looked beautiful tonight.” I looked at Toby, he had a sad expression on his face.

“Aubrey. I tried I just cant. I still kinda like Toby. I mean Tyson cute and all but I dont even know him. Ive just gotta figure s*** out. You know how messed up my life is right now.” I shut the trunk Toby jumped into the car. “I'm sorry.” I put my backpack in the back seat of my mustang and drove off.

“yah know you can slow down. Were not in any rush.” I looked at him and laughed a little.

“But I am in a rush. I wanna get home and go into my big ass room and sit there and cry. Because my life sucks right now. You wouldn't understand. Your perfect.” I pulled into the driveway as I said that. I parked the car and walked inside. All the guys were still in the living room and just watched me as I walked up stairs. Toby walked in about 5 minutes after me cause I heard the door slam. He walked into my room as I was putting new shorts on.

“You honestly know nothing about me.” I turned around and zipped my pants. He didn't look anywhere but my eyes. “im far from perfect. There is nothing perfect about me or my family. There hasn't been for years.” He looked a little calmer then before but I didn't feel like fighting with him so I just shook my head and said whatever. Jeremy walked into my room kinda scared.

“Is everything alright?” Toby looked at me then turned around and said yeah and walked out. I grabbed my towel and went into the shower.


After my shower, I went down stairs and all the guys were watching a scary movie. I went into the pantry and got some food. Jeremy followed me in.

“Wanna watch the movie with us?” I looked at him and smiled. Just knowing he wanted me to join in made me smile. I grabbed a pop tart and shook my head no. I then turned off the light and started to head outside when Toby ran into me.

“Ugh sorry.” He walked around me and kept his head down. But some dude yelled from the living room 'Ronnie come join us!'

“Thats ok. Im just gonna go outside.” I shut the door. Behind our house was a beach. It was a nice summer night. The stars were out so I lied down in the sand.

“Can I join you?” I sat up to notice Tyson standing behind me.

“Ugh.. sure.” I wrapped my hands around my knees and looked at the ocean. He didn't say anything just sat there looking at the stars. I looked at him. “why are you here?” He smiled and looked at me. When he did that I noticed how blue his eyes were and how white his smile was.

“Umm Aubrey's in the house. & her mom didn't want her coming alone.” I looked down and kinda smiled a little. “& I saw you out here. So I thought since I didn't get to introduce myself at the party. I could do it now.” I stood up and gave him a hand.

“Hi I'm..”

“Ronnie!” someone screamed my name from the back porch. “Get inside.” I ran inside and all the guys were standing scared half to death. Aubrey stood in the middle of them.

“What?” Tyson followed and Toby looked kinda depressed when he say him walk threw the door.

“What the hell is this? You ditched my party to hang out with a bunch of guys...” I looked at her kinda surprised.

“ugh no actually. I left your party cause I didn't feel like being there. & I got pucked on. so...” She walked up to me and slapped me in the face. I grabbed my check and looked at her in shock. “What the f*** was that for?”

“For being a b****...” my face got bright red and I was beyond pissed off.

“Do you have any idea what Ive been threw.. No you dont because its always all about little miss perfect. Guess what? Im sick of it being all about you. Im sick of being your little mule. & you come in my house and start yelling at me and call me a b****. Do you really wanna see a b****.. cause ill show you one. Get the f*** out of my house!!” Aubrey stood there for a bit and then walked out Tyson kinda didn't move at all, he just stood there shocked. “yeah you should probably leave to Tyson.”

“yeah idk how to get home.” The guys all cheered and Jeremy walked up behind me.

“or you can stay and we can give you a ride home later.” Tyson smiled and then said no. He left and I took a deep breath. “Ronnie that was amazing. I didn't know you could stick up for yourself like that...”

“You dont know a lot about me.” I walked upstairs again and went into my room. I turned my ipod on and started drawing. I heard the floor boards start cracking and looked up. “ugh hi.”

“can we talk?” I took out my head phones and smiled.

“yea I think we should.” I moved over and Toby sat next to me. “look im sorry for saying that earlier. Its just been really stressful the past week for me.” He grabbed my hand & kinda smiled a little.

“Trust me I understand. I get why you said it. On the outside I do seem perfect. But theres a lot you dont know about me.” I looked up at him and smiled a little.

“yeah. Maybe someday I will.” I looked down but he pushed my chin up and kissed me. This time I didn't push him away. I kissed him back. It was nice. Then Jeremy walked him and ruined the moment.

“oh ugh sorry didn't mean to interrupt...” I started to laugh a little. “but the pizzas here. Ronnie come join us. You dont have an option this time. You have to.” Jeremy smiled and walked away. I stood up but Toby pulled me back down and kissed me again.


Downstairs all the guys chowed down on the pizza. There was only one piece left and I told Toby he could have it id make my own dinner. We all watched a movie together.

“Im so sick of watching movies. Lets go swimming.” Half the guys walked out. Toby looked at me like he was asking if I wanted to go swimming. I smiled and pulled him off the floor. We walked down to the pier then Toby picked me up and threw me into the water. Reaching the surface I saw him standing at the edge. He had the biggest smile on his face. I climbed onto the pier and looked so serious, But on the inside I was the happiest Ive been in years.

“that wasnt nice at all.” I started walking closer to him and he started backing up. “Time for a little revenge Toby.” He laughed and shook his head.

“Try to even touch me Ronnie. No one gets revenge on me.” I walked up to him where our bodies were so close I could feel his heart beat.

“im pretty sure ill be the first one.” I grabbed his shirt and went to go kiss him and then pushed him into the water. Everyone started laughing and cheering. When Toby got to the surface of the water he had a big smile on his face. “see. I told you.”

After a while, the guys started going inside. It was starting to get cold out and there was clouds rolling in, but Toby and I stayed out and watched the stairs and talked. Toby had his arms around me and I draped my legs across his. I looked right into his eyes and smiled.

“Wanna go inside it's getting cold?” Toby asked as he grabbed my hand. I stood up and smiled as I started walking to the door. “Ronnie wait I gotta tell you something.?” I looked confused at him. He let go of my hand and put it into his sweat shirt pocket. “remember freshmen year. When you and Aubrey got into that big fight. Yeah me and Aubrey dated for that 2 months when you guys weren't friends...” I stormed inside and grabbed my keys and phone. I ran to my car and left. Toby and Jeremy stood on the sidewalk just watching as I drove away. I drove up to Aubrey's house and started banging on the front door. Aubrey's mom answered the door. I walked past her and ran up the stairs to Aubrey's room. I flipped the light on and pulled the covers off her.

“YOU DATED HIM!?” Aubrey looked shocked she didn't say anything she just stared at me. “Why would you do that to me? You knew how much I liked him. And you freaking DATED HIM! Some Best Friend You Are!” I walked back to my car.

“You honestly think your the only one that likes him. Yah know he has a Girlfriend. Yeah she lives in Rosewood. Her names Sarah. They've been dating for 3 months. Then theres Jennie, Kelsey, Maggie, and Jane. Your just his next victim. I tried to save you 3 years ago. I tried to save your heart. Cause I saw what Jake did to it at the beginning of the year.” I looked past her at Tyson.

“Well thanks. Cause you just shattered it.” I got into my car and drove away. I drove around for a couple hours then pulled over to the side of the road. I sat there with my head on the steering wheel and just cried. I couldn't believe what just happened. I didn't just cry about Toby, I cried about my dad, my mom, Jeremy. The past five years hasn't been easy for anybody in my family.


The next morning, I pulled into the drive way at like 8 in the morning. I grabbed my bag and walked into the house. All the guys were pasted out on the floor in the living room except for Toby. I walked upstairs to my room and found Toby sitting by the window asleep. I set my bag on my desk. I walked over to him and tapped his shoulder. He moved a little then turned his head and realized it was me finally. He stood up really fast and gave me a hug. I pushed him away. He looked at me confused then backed off.

“Do you have a girlfriend?”

“No. we broke up before baseball started.” I walked into my closet and put on a pair of pj shorts.

“What about Jennie, Kelsey, Maggie, and Jane?” Toby took a deep breath and then looked at me.

“I went through a jackass stage Sophomore year when I dated Aubrey. You can trust me. I wont do that again. Please trust me.” I looked at him buttoning my pants.

“why did you and Sarah break up?” he looked down. I pushed his chin up. “Tell me if you want me to trust you.”

“She met someone better, there for her all the time. She wanted to be my first priority. But some girl had my heart already and there was more important things in life then her.” I sat on my bed and leaned my head against the wall and shut my eyes. Toby sat next to me and locked fingers with me. My heart skipped at beat. For 6 years all I ever wanted was to hold hands with Toby Konder. “I know I was an ass to you in middle school and I ignored you when you were a freshman. But im here now, and I feel horrible about what I did back then. You have to believe me when I say Ive changed cause I have. Im not the same jackass I was back then. Im sorry.”

“I get it. You've changed..... and so have I. Im not the same person. The push over I used to be when we were younger. When we moved here in 6th grade, you made me hate it here. You made me cry almost every night. Your so called friends, touchered me every day and you just laughed about it. But freshman year when I saw you at my dads funeral and I saw how you looked at me. I knew something was different. Toby I can forgive you about being an ass to me, but I cant forgive you for hooking up with my best friend.” Toby turned his head and looked at me. I looked back at him. I couldn't help the urge. My heart was beating so fast that I couldn't catch my breath. I leaned in and kissed him hard. He grabbed my face and kissed me back hard.

“Please, just one chance.” I looked at him and smiled. My body felt like jelly. My heart was smiling but it felt wrong. Knowing that he dated Aubrey.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on May. 2 2012 at 2:56 am
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other
2 articles 0 photos 110 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

the idea behind your story is great, i love it!

however, it does sound a little hastily written and some of the shorthand draws away from the writing itself. it's also a little difficult to tell who says what sometimes. the grammar needs a little work too (for examples, CAPITALS)

but apart from that it's good and i really liked the idea.

<3