Sacred and Profane Love | Teen Ink

Sacred and Profane Love

October 26, 2021
By ammonia_g BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
More by this author
ammonia_g BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This story is full of the author’s personal imagination and speculation, pieced together from the fragments of old stories that she heard about the anecdotes of the ancestors of the shearers on a local sheep farms during her two sojourns in Australia. The authenticity of the story cannot be verified. The names of people have been blurred.

 

The story took place in a time that is far from today. The world it inhabited was almost non-existent.

 

At that time, homosexuality was still a forbidden word. The Bible clearly states, "If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act

." (Leviticus 20:13)

 

In 1861, the British Kingdom abolished the law of the death penalty for homosexuality, but it still imposed sentences of more than ten years or even life imprisonment. A similar provision was written in the Indian Penal Code, which was applied in the colonies.

 

Australia was a British colony at the time, a desolate continent far from the hustle and bustle of the world.

 

In the summer of 1919, Edward, a handsome young Catholic priest, was sent by the Church from Rome to remote and desolate Australia to serve as a priest in the parish of Tussey near Brady Estate. In the beautiful Brady Estate, he met Bert, a wealthy and celibate Australian estate owner.

 

And so the story began.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.