Delinquent School | Teen Ink

Delinquent School

November 16, 2018
By Jopono, Toronto, Other
More by this author
Jopono, Toronto, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The first day of June, a scorching hot day. I walk through an almost empty hallway. I knew this was summer school. All of my peers who were forced to be here staring at me, like a fish out of water. I try and avoid eye contact. I’m a student here at burgstun high school, even one of the top students of this school. although there are people older than me by years. I’m here in summer school by force, my parents want me to be able to get to one of the best colleges in the USA. In order to do that, my parents sent me here for the summer. Apparently, they want me to be prepared for my trip to college. But most people here are people who have failing grades or just delinquents, And I’m thrown into the mix. My first class, math. The subject I’m best at. I sit down on one of the old desks, filled with scratches. I've known these desks that the juniors used during the school year. People start to sit down behind me, most of them start to group up with there cliques, soi was alone. One group walked up to me and said in a hard voice trying to be intimidating “Get out of here, scum!”


It was no new thing to me, being called these things, they were used as motivators by my parents to get my work done. I gave them a cold shoulder. They sock me under my armpit, sending chills down my body. Right there, I didn’t care, I didn’t even want to be here. The teacher walked them and restrained them as I watch them get dragged outside of the school room. I watched as I had a dull expression on my face. Class finally starts as it should have 20 minutes ago. I look over to see one of my classmates who is sitting in there little gangs was daydreaming. Staring directly at me with rosy cheeks. They suddenly register that I’ve spotted them staring at me and quickly starts to get back to work. My face goes bloodshot red, I’ve never had an admirer! But the way they were looking at me, no, I knew they were staring at me! I slam my face into my pillow that night. “What the- how- why did they choose me of all people!” as I say stupidly as I already caused a scene in the classroom. I’ve never had someone crush on me, let alone someone as nerdy as me. I don’t know how or what to feel. I’ve always been stuck in my room. Blabbering useless words at the wall. It’s weighing me down, emotionally of course. Working to always find an answer to some stupid question. Just because I’m smart doesn't mean I should be put onto a pedestal of hope for the future. It’s a lot to take in but I'm used to pressuring. I’ve never tried dating, my parents would kill me if they found out that I was dating instead of working on school work.


The next day, I sit two rows back from where I sat yesterday, to no surprise, they were put in suspension for starting a fight. Just I take a sigh of relief, other people start to sit near me. Starting to feel butterflies in my stomach, I try to move away, but my legs started to shake. Suddenly I feel a hand gloss over my forearm. “Are you ok?” They say in a calm soothing voice.

Those words echo into my head. Suddenly a tear started to roll down my cheek. Right there I froze, too embarrassed to do anything. I could say was a weak yes, even though it was obvious it was a frail lie. Suddenly I start to feel people's eyes on me, judging me silently. I wipe that idiotic tear off my cheek and began to work on my tenth homework page. The little gangs start to run up to me asking for answers. “Am I right on this one?”

“What’s number 14?”

“What did you here?”

My secluded desk suddenly becomes the new hottest spot. I start to drift away as my peers start to clammer my desk. Suddenly someone pulls me around the corner and it’s them! “What are y-you doing!?” I say in an irritated voice.

They look at me and… smiled.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.