Love in Her Eyes | Teen Ink

Love in Her Eyes

By RayRay7870 BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
RayRay7870 BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Author's note:

I was inspired to do this piece from a personal experience of love and the loss of a friend. I figured why not put the two incidents together which led me to writing this story

Austin, Texas  April 12, 2016
Life doesn’t always work out the way we plan. Sometimes you’re given options whereas other times no choice at all. I had no choice when my mother got cancer or when my father had a heart attack. I didn’t have that choice of whether or not I would be straight or gay. I didn’t choose to fall in love with her. Fate brought us together. Right now I choose to collide my past with my present. I choose to be here with her now. There is love in her eyes.
5 Years Earlier
Ashford Estate, Hourse Mountain, Montana
2011 Oak County Fair Barrel Horse Competition
I see the mountains looming in the background. I notice the gray cloudy sky opening up into a beautiful sunny day, I finally see the blue in the sky. I can hear the birds whistling, the horses neighing, the bang-bang from the gun arcade.I can smell the popcorn and the other numerous amounts of food. It makes me hungry even more, I can still taste the chilli dog that I finished five minutes ago. After playing a few games my friend Megan suggests we go watch the barrel races. As we find our seats the announcer notifies us that the races will begin in five minutes. My other friend Ashley starts spewing off about her new boyfriend Max, I don’t notice because I’m too busy staring at a girl on a horse. I notice how fast she is going on her horse. As the sound drowns out, my heart beats faster, and I’m completely mesmerized by her flawless effort and her radiant beauty, she notices me staring and we hold our gaze and then as suddenly as it started, she winked and trotted off. That’s when I was practically falling over that I realized my friends were looking at me with frustration but also curiosity. I couldn’t blame them… I mean who was that girl? What was her name? Why was I mesmerized by her? More importantly what would become of us after that soul-gazing encounter?

2 hours later
Ashley, Megan and I were getting ready to head to the “Ridge”, our favorite hangout to party, when all of a sudden there she stood right in front of me. Wavy honey blonde hair, crystal blue eyes, blue tank top, skinny jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat. She was beautiful, not speaking from the fact that she had won 1st place and was wearing a medal around her neck.
“Hey, so uhm, I caught you staring at me earlier,” she said. I just stared at her with my mouth hanging open with no idea as what to say. She was just so damn beautiful my mind just turning to mush. I was dashed out of my staring when Ash elbowed me.
“Hi uhm, sorry, I didn’t mean to stare at you. I don’t know what I was thinking,” I mumbled.
“No worries. I’m Sarah McHaldred.” She extended her hand as if to shake mine. Oh jeez what am I supposed to do now? What do I do?
“I’m Grace Harper. Pleasure to meet you,”I mentioned. Oh god, my palms are sweaty, my heart is racing. Why am acting like this? What is going on? I mean here I am talking to a beautiful girl and we exchanged names. Should I give her my number. I have no clue what I’m doing.
“Here is my number, if you ever want to hang out or anything,” I said as she turned to leave, “Hey my friends and I are going to “Ridge”, would you care to join us?” I asked her.
“Sure, that would be lovely,” she exaggerated. Megan and Ash sprinted off towards the woods but I decided to stick behind and walk with Sarah. How could I feel this way for someone I didn’t even know? Is it really possible to care for someone you just met? I feel as if I’ve known her forever. What is going on? We’re walking and I’m noticeably staring at her when she asks,”You feel it too don’t you?”
“What do you mean?” I questioned. I wasn’t understanding what she meant. Things were very confusing after what has happened.
“You feel the connection too, don’t you? The connection between us?” she rephrased. That’s when things started making sense.
“Yeah I feel it too. Like I’ve known you forever even though we just met thirty minutes ago. It is really weird because I’ve never felt this way before.  I’m sorry if this is weird for you, I mean it's completely weird for me too but still,” I explained to the best of my ability.
“Exactly, that’s what it feels like to me too. It is weird. What do you think could be causing it?” she wondered.
“I have no idea but I feel compelled to kiss you. I mean if that is alright with you.”
“I feel the same way, I mean do you think we should kiss?”That is when I leaned down and kissed her. Her lips were soft and sweet. She smelled of lavender and strawberries.
“Hey what are y’all doing back there?” Megan yelled. Boy did she need to be so damn nosy?
“Nothing, we’ll be there in a few!” I screamed back. Then I looked at Sarah and she was smiling, seeing her smile only made me smile too. We made our way to the “Ridge” and partied all night. Sarah is an incredible dancer, I mean she danced in the sense that she was carefree and wild. I liked watching her dance with such passion. We kept locking eyes and then it was time to go. We all wound up back at the fair and we each got into our separate cars, well all of us expect Sarah and I.
“I had a lot of fun today Sarah, and congrats on the win,”I pursed my lips.
“Why thank you ma’am, I  had fun too. Well I better get home. Goodnight Grace.” she blurted as she began to walk the other way.
“Goodnight Sarah.”I mumbled. I got into my truck and watched her walk slowly for a few minutes before starting my vehicle and drove towards her. As I reached her I rolled the window down.
“Need a ride?” I asked while chuckling. It had just started sprinkling.
“Yes, I’d like that very much. Can you believe that it is raining? I love the rain but I had to walk home until you offered me a ride. Thank you.” she giggles. I like her giggle, it’s refreshing to hear something as beautiful as that. This girl is full of so many surprises. She is different. As she navigates the way to her home we talk about our likes and dislikes. She loves the country and all the horses roaming free. She likes fruit and picnics and daisies. She likes me. We finally reach her house and I’m kinda sad that she has to go in.
“Grace,  would please accompany me to the door.” she asks.
“Yea, sure no problem.” I reply. As we are heading to the door I begin to feel nervous. How can I ask her out even though we just met a few hours ago. Why do I feel so nervous? What is going on?
“Sarah, would you...uhm, would you like to go out sometime, you know with me?” I asked very nervously. A huge wash of relief fell over me as I said those words. I cannot believe I actually asked her out.
“I’d like that. Are you free tomorrow?” she questioned. Tomorrow I’d have dance, music lesson, horse riding, and homework.
“Yeah, my parents and sister are out of town for the week. I’ll pick you up around 6 o’clock tomorrow night.” I replied.
“Okay, sounds like a date,” she giggled. I could not wait for tomorrow night. Making plans without my family home was a good thing. They were gone and I had nothing better to do.

The 30 minute drive home took even longer because it was dark. The tire blew out over on Old Folks Bend and so it took me about 15 minutes to fix that. Eventually I made it home safe and sound. I felt drained completely so I decided to go to bed after all it was one in the morning. I got ready for bed and was laying down when I heard a loud crash downstairs. I figured it was the cat Monster, rampaging around again. Then I heard it again. I grabbed my baseball bat that hung on a rack in my closet and I stealthily went down the stairs. I saw him trying to put the lamp back up. I went to hit him when he turned around.
“BILLY! BY THE LOVE OF A DEVIL… Wha-what in a foals ass are you doing in my house?” I questioned with surprise.
“I-I don’t know why I came, I’m s-sorry it was a mis-mistake,” he stammered. He began heading back to the sliding door.
“Billy, what did you need?” I asked. If there was something he needed I would have liked to know why he snuck into my house to get it.
“I just wanted to tell you that I miss you and I want you back Grace,” Billy explained.
“Billy, it’s not going to happen. I met someone and I really like ‘em. I have told you so many times that I don’t want to be in the type of relationship where the guy is always an ass. I’m done Billy,” I explained as best as I could when frustrated. I mean here was this poor guy who just didn’t want to give me up just yet, was fighting for me. As if I didn’t feel guilty enough.
“Okay, yeah, no I get it. I mean you don’t want to be with me anymore. I understand I was just hoping you would’ve changed your mind,”Billy sadly mentioned. He opened the door and walked out.

The Next Day
I got up way too many times during the night. I kept dreaming that I was thrown of a tall, gross cliff, and I was falling, Sarah was there at the top of the cliff. I screamed her name but she looked like she didn’t hear me… Then I would wake up at that point. This last time I looked at my clock, it was only 3:26. What the hell… So I just decided to stay up until it was time to do my chores. Finally when 5:30 rolled around, I got up out of bed and I went about my chores. When I was done I decided to head to Sarah’s and see if she would rather make it a lunch/dinner date. We hung out at her place for a bit then I told her to go put a bathing suit on and meet me in the truck in 20 minutes. It only takes her about 15 minutes because she seems so eager. She dances on her way to the truck and I can’t help but laugh. She looks at me intently as I drive to Lake Mane. Once we reach the lake she looks at me with a huge smile on her face. We race down the hill to the sand, we strip the clothes from over our swimsuits and we run into the water laughing and smiling.
“I can’t believe you brought me here,” Sarah squealed.
“Well I figured you would want to get to know me better so I thought I’d take you to my favorite place,” I explained to Sarah. As I said this she smiled and waded closer to me. She moved her head closer to mine and our lips molded together as one.
3 Days Later
“You know I could get used to this,” Sarah said. We had been cuddling on the couch for the past hour.
“Used to what?” I questioned. The thought had somewhat crossed my mind but I wanted to hear it from her.
“I could get used to being wrapped up in your arms everyday. I know we have only been together for like 5 days but I have strong feelings for you,” She told me. All of a sudden the door began opening and my parents and sister began walking in. Sarah and I scrambled to get untangled and sit on separate sides of the couch.
“Hey Ma, Pa, Hanna, what are y’all doing home so soon?’ I interrogated. I was confused because they were supposed to be in New York for another two days.
“Well you know how your sister is she makes her mind up so quickly,” Ma replied.
“Yes, I do know how she is.” I exclaimed.
“Who is this Grace?” Pa wondered.
“Oh, this is Sarah, my friend…” I replied rather too quickly.
“Pleasure to meet you Sarah.” Ma said as she held out her hand.
“Pleasure is all mine ma’am.” Sarah said coolly.
“Will you be joining us for dinner?” Pa asked.
“Oh no, I wouldn’t want to intrude on y’alls evening. I mean y’all probably just want a nice evening as a family.” Sarah pondered. She was very considerate and I could have kissed her right then and there, but what would my family think of me. Knowing who I am, would be too much on them at this point. I can’t put my family through that right now. The whole time I’d been thinking to myself my mom had been trying to get my attention.
“GRACE AMELIA HARPER, I am trying to talk to you. Goodness child you were like a brick wall, didn’t think I’d get through to you.” Ma said.
“Wh-what? Sorry, I was thinking. What were y’all talking about?” I asked imprudently.
“Sarah will be staying for dinner and if it’s alright with her mother she can stay the night. Is that alright with you?” Ma asked. I didn’t realize how eager I must have sounded (probably like a bull in heat) but I immediately said yes. This would be the best night of our lives. We just needed to make it past my parents. This is going to be fun…
6:00pm
We were all sitting down around the table when my family began pounding Sarah with questions.
“So Sarah, where is your family from?” Hanna asked.
“Well I was born here in Hourse, Montana 17 years back. My father, then got a job over in Billings, Montana. My parents divorced three years ago, Mama and I moved back here to Hourse, Montana. It’s just the two of us now. I had an older brother, Carson, but he died five years ago in a boating accident.” Sarah said, her voice shaking with every word. Suddenly without thinking I put my arms around her to console her. That is when I noticed the strange look ma gave pa and Hanna raised her eyebrow. I then had the realization that I had signed my own life sentence…

5 Months Later
“Hey gorgeous!” I exclaimed when I picked up Sarah. Oh boy today was going to be a good day I could just feel it.
“So what would you like to do today?” I asked.
“Anything you want babe!” Sarah said as she planted a kiss on my cheek.
“Okay hold on!” I exclaimed. We barreled down the road to our place, the lake, even though it was late October. We talked for hours and watched the sun go down over the horizon. I looked over at her, she was smiling and dancing, all of a sudden I got a warm fuzzy feeling in my gut. I knew I was falling in love with her and I wanted to tell her but I was afraid she might not be ready to hear those words. I didn’t want to screw this relationship up. Sarah noticed me staring and well she gave me a look of ravenousness.
2 Hours later
We lay there on our backs, naked, cold, and happy. We talked for another thirty minutes before we decide to go to town and eat. Sarah picked out the little barbeque place and we eat ribs and corn.
“Sarah, would you like to spend the night with me?” I asked contently. That was the first question I really hoped the answer was a yes.
“Well I mean we would have to stop by my house so I could grab some clothes and ask my mom but I don’t see why not. So yes I would love to spend the night with you.” Sarah said excitedly.
We were on our way to her house to get her stuff and the last thing I saw was light. Have you ever seen a white light and then your whole life flash before your eyes? Ever wonder what heaven looks like? What the Earth looks like out of body? It’s not really the greatest feeling but the view is amazing! Wait why am I so happy? Why do I hurt? No, no, no. No, this can’t be happening…
“She’s awake doctor.” a nurse said.

“Wh-what happened? Wh-where am I? Where is Sarah?” I asked groggily.
“Grace, I’m Dr. Anna Cooper. How are you feeling? Any pain, dizziness, blurred vision, numbness?” Dr. Cooper pressed with caution.
“I’m fine, where is Sarah?” I pestered annoyingly. At that moment my parents came in.
“Oh my Grace, sweetheart, are you okay? What happened?” Ma asked.
“Ma I’m fine. I promise you I’m fine. Where is Sarah?” I protested angrily.
“Sarah is in surgery right now. She has some internal bleeding, a few fractured ribs, and apparently she has an abdominal aortic aneurysm. They are keeping a close eye on her sweetheart, I promise you.” Pa said.
“I want to see her,” I cried, “I need to see her Ma.” I cried as Ma spoke softly to me.
“Oh honey I know she was your friend but you can’t see her right now.” Ma explained to me. I got angry and I just let it out.
“She is not just my friend. Ma, Pa, she’s my girlfriend. We’ve been going out for about six months now. I’m gay.” I said as I sobbed. I had finally come clean to my parents. All I could do now was wait until the shock went away.
“Grace, why didn’t you tell us?” Ma inquired, tears glistening as they slid down her cheeks.
“ I was scared that you might hate me. I thought you might kick me out for being different. I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, I just didn’t want you to see me any differently.” I sobbed.
“Grace we love you no matter who you are or who you might become. You are our world. We just… we want to protect you until you go off into the world. Grace, we’re sorry you felt like you couldn’t tell us.” Pa said. We cried for a while longer until a nurse came in and told me how Sarah was. I felt so bad because I crashed the car and now she was hurt badly. I told them I wanted to see her but they wouldn’t let me.
3 Days Later
Ma, Pa, Hanna, and I were all eating dinner at the dining room table. Pa was talking about how as soon as my leg healed he wanted us all to go out on a picnic at Lake Carp. We all agreed and started laughing again when all of a sudden the phone rang. Pa got up from the table and answered the phone. I could barely make out what pa said but I caught a few words.
“Oh boy, I’m so sorry. Yeah I’ll tell her. Okay you take care. Bye-bye.” Pa said as he hung up the phone. He walked back to the table and whispered in Ma’s ear about something and Ma’s face got really pale.
“Pa, what’s going on?” Hanna squeaked.
“Grace, I’m so sorry for what I’m about to tell you.” Ma spoke solemnly.
“Ma what is going on?” I asked a little angrily.
“Grace, Sarah passed away this afternoon. That was her mom on the phone. She wanted to let you know.” Pa told me shakily.
“But I thought she was getting better, what happened?” I asked, my voice breaking.
“She had an Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. It rupture and they tried to save her but she lost so much blood. I’m so sorry Grace. I know how much she meant to you.” Pa expressed to me.
“NO, NO, NO! NOOO!!! She can’t be gone, we didn’t have enough time. No, I refuse to believe that she is gone. She can’t be gone Pa. She can’t.” I cried as I spoke. I cried throughout the night.

It’s been 7 days since Sarah died and I can’t stop feeling empty and hollow. I miss Sarah every day. How will I ever go on? Today is the worst day. I don’t want to go but yet I need to. I loved her and I need to go because I loved her.
“Grace, you ready sweetheart?” Ma asked as she opened the door and peered in.
“Almost Ma, give me a minute.” I said but as I did I realized I had better leave before I changed my mind. I looked myself over in the mirror one last time, oh dear Lord. I have bags under my eyes. After I give myself a little pep talk I’m ready to go. I hope I can do this…
The funeral goes by all to quickly when the pastor calls me up to say a few things about Sarah.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t really prepare for this. So I’m going to do what Sarah always did, just wing it. (softly chuckles).” I say. I look out into the crowd and my eyes move over to Sarah’s parents,  instantaneously I know what to say.
“Sarah was someone who made everyone’s life shine whenever she was around them. She made my life a hell of a lot better since I met her. I quickly fell in love with her as a person; her laugh, her smile, her passion, and her overall personality. She was someone who cared about others in a very overwhelming way. I was fortunate to know her not only as a person or friend but also as my girlfriend. I wish I had more time with Sarah. Hell, I wish we all had more time with her but wishing isn’t reality and that’s okay. Sarah is in a place with no pain. I will never regret meeting her or falling in love with her. I will always see love through her eyes.” As I finished speaking tears just exploded from my eyes. My mother came up and escorted me back to the pew.
1 Hour Later
Sarah had just been buried and it hurt so much knowing that I will never see her again. Over the next two years I always wondered why her? Why not me? What could I have done differently that would have kept her alive? These things I don’t think i will ever stop wondering. As I leave for college, I leave behind the sorrow and pain that plagues me.
*Present*
A hand on my shoulder snapped me out of the past. I realize it’s Maggie. A girl whom I go to school with. We seem to have the same taste in music and classes. Maggie is going to be a psychiatrist and I need my Bachelors degree in Human Relations in order to have a career helping troubled kids or teens who’ve lost someone close to them. We met in Conflict Resolution and Stress Management class.
“Hey Grace, are you okay? Are we still on for coffee?” Maggie questions.
“Yeah, I’ll meet you in there. I just need a minute.” I replied. I wasn’t sure if I was ready but then I realized I was ready to move on with my life. I walked into the coffee shop with a newfound positivity and confidence that will now be with me forever.
The End

This book has 1 comment.

RayRay7870 BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
Please read this I worked really hard on this and I am very proud of how I accomplished this book, I am currently working on a second book. This will be a trilogy.