Real of Fantasy? | Teen Ink

Real of Fantasy?

By Melaniepatt97, jackson, New Jersey
Melaniepatt97, Jackson, New Jersey

Author's note: Its a short story based on romance.

Real or Fantasy?
Shelby looked at the clock then back down at her desk as night was growing closer and closer. Her friend Heather had been hassling her all week about coming out tonight to some friend get together on the beach. Shelby looked again, and began to worry about the work she needed to get done for her job, she’d much rather be ahead of the game with work like she always is then being somewhere with people she didn’t know, just sitting there like a mope. She thought about cancelling, but she knew Heather would absolutely kill her. Her phone began to buzz and she hesitated before answering as if someone she was trying to avoid all her life was on the other line. “Hello,” she hushed out as her lips trembled near the edge of the phone. “Hey, so the party tonight is on the beach, it’s a bonfire and it’s going to be so much fun. I’m picking you up at 8, you better be ready because I’m dragging you out at 8 no matter what you look like,” her friend heather’s voice blurted out. “Listen i-I just don’t know if I can go, or if I really should, I have some work I need to get done and I probably shouldn’t be out to late, I’ve got meetings tomorrow evening and stuff like that.” “Shut up. I’m not taking no for answer, you work all the time, and its ok to every once in a while have fun, or in your case try to have fun,” she snarled refusing the rejection of not attending the evenings get together. “Be ready at 8, see ya,” she hung up quick before Shelby could say anymore and try to get herself out of tonight. “Ugh, I really don’t want to go tonight.” Shelby looked at the clock and noticed the time was 6:05. “I guess I better leave now and start getting ready for tonight.” She grabbed her crème pea coat, then the few documents that were in front of her and organized them into a pile, and then she returned them to their drawers. Grabbing her leather bag she headed out the door home to prepare herself for then night. Shelby looked into her closet to try and find something suitable to wear. All she really had was pencil skirts and dress shirts. There was business pants and other nice clothes, but nothing really that seemed like “hanging out” type wear. Nothing seemed suitable to her for tonight’s attire. Eventually she found an older pink V-neck that she had gotten mainly to wear just around the house and jean capris she had from the time they had casual wear day at work. Now it was time for her hair. She always had it back in a ponytail, or a bun but she knew she would be criticized from the gate by heather if she didn’t at least have it down. Reaching for the bobby pins in her hair, she started disassembling the bobby pins holding her bun together and then letting down each blonde strand of hair one at a time. Her long hair had created that natural beach wave from being suffocated and twisted tight on her head all day. Shelby looked in the mirror and decided to just leave it down how it was. “Who cares what I look like I’m only going to be there for my friend, I’m not going for any specific reason,” she thought to herself while she looked in the mirror. After throwing on a little pink eye shadow, mascara, and spraying some hair spray in her hair she was finally ready to go. Her phone started buzzing and heather was of course on the other line. “I’m here, get your ass out her it’s time to go out,” she yelled obnoxious as if they were high scholars that just got let out for summer. When Shelby got downstairs she was surprised how warm it still was at night time, I mean granted it was late spring in California, but still at night time it usually cools up and gives her the chills. “Why are we even going to this, better yet why did I let you drag me to this.” “My friend invited me and said to bring someone I knew, I told him I knew just the friend. You’re always working worrying about this or that. You need to relax girlfriend. Have some fun. Let the inner animal come out tonight. That’s what I’m doing, I’m getting you drunk. We are going to this bonfire on the beach and you are going to get shitfaced,” heather teased laughing and enjoying the possible thought of seeing Shelby completely drunk. “Yeah right, I’m just going because you’re making me. Ill hang for a little but once I get tired I’m leaving,” she rolled her eyes turning her head away from the window and directing it towards her friend. The car came to a stop and she turned her head back to the window looking all around. “Here already?” she gripped her seatbelt tight then reached for the button to be unbuckled. Her foot hit the ground and then the door slammed shut behind her. Out in the distance she looked around and noticed a glow surrounded by the darkness of the night. The beach at night was kind of nice she thought, looking at the still silence of the waves, and how beautiful the silence actually was when there wasn’t crowds and crowds of people around to disrupt it. That silence soon faded as they walked closer and closer to the bonfire. Shelby looked around taking advantage of every step she had before they had reached the spot of the bonfire. “Come on slow poke, trust me it’s going to be fun,” heather yelled out. When they finally arrived Shelby and Heather walked over to where they had the drinks and things assorted and got themselves something to drink. “I’m going to need one glass of something if I’m going to have to endure this crap all night, she murmured in a low voice and gave a chuckle. She watched as her friend heather said hi to everyone and then smiled and played nice when she introduced them to her. Shelby stood there while Heather was talking to this guy rich, the one who was hosting the bonfire, then before she knew it she found herself alone. “I can’t believe her, makes me come to a party and ditches me halfway through the night. Is that some crap.” She started sipping on what now was drink 3, and she was starting to feel pretty nice, although she would never admit it to her friend. She walked over to a spot that had a pretty nice view of the ocean and was isolated from the crowed, then planted a landing there. The waves were so beautiful at night time. How they glimmered off the moon it was like a giant moving painting, brilliant and breathtaking. She was in a daze watching this beautiful scenery. “Its beautiful right,” a manly but gentle voice rang from behind her. Startled she turned to see who had snuck up on her and was now approaching her while she was alone and in piece. As she turned she noticed he was in blue shorts, well what looked like she thought were blue it was pretty dark and she had a little buzz, and a black shirt. His skin looked like it had quite a nice tan to it, he seemed darker than someone who would be pale. His hair looked brown, like a medium brown in the sunlight, not too light but not too dark either, and it was longer than the average guy. Not long like a girls or anything just not a typical buzz cut, it looked like a surfer’s hairstyle. She couldn’t see much of his face, but from his physique he looked pretty cute. “I love the beach I come here all the time and surf and just enjoy views and moments like this,” the voice chimed again now coming closer as he was walking closer and closer to come sit with her. At first she started to choke on her words but then she finally pushed something out. “Yeah, yeah it is. I don’t come to the beach often, I never realized how beautiful and nice it actually is.” The mysterious man plopped a seat next to her and then turned and looked at her. “Don’t come here often, so what are you doing here tonight?” He smirked and even his teeth were the whitest of white while being hidden by the darkness. Her daze from the water suddenly turned into a daze looking at him. “My friend dragged me here, and then ditched me. Great friend right.” She chuckled sourly. Once he was finally close to her she noticed he had the most amazing blue eyes. It was like looking into the ocean except now it was up close, and in her face. They were so beautiful those deep sea eyes. He’s gorgeous, she thought the herself. “My names Dane, you looked like you weren’t enjoying yourself much,” he reached out to touch her soft hand with a friendly hello. At first Shelby thought it was kind of weird some random guy walking over to her and touching her hand and sitting next to her. “He’s probably got a little buzz like me and wants to get away from the crowd. If he’s trying to get some though, it’s not happening,” she thought to herself while he waited for a response. “I’m Shelby. You don’t seem to be enjoying it much yourself either considering you’re over here also,” she giggled and smiled. He smiled back, “Who wants to be around a bunch of drunken idiots, who can’t handle themselves, when I can be over here looking at two beautiful views.” Flattered she began to blush and smile like a child who couldn’t control herself. The buzz still remained from the little bit of liquor she had and she hoped he didn’t notice, but then again why did it matter, he was too. “Do you want to see something? Come on,” he grabbed her hand and tossed her up like a rag doll so effortlessly. They ran down towards the water splashing and squishing their feet, feeling the wet sand run between each toe. Shelby’s adrenaline was pumping going a thousand miles an hour. She hadn’t had this good of a time in such a long time. It was like something had come over her. She was running in the ocean with a complete stranger and had a buzz but she didn’t even care. He was soft and gentle with every touch of her hand and her waist when he grabbed her to move this way or that way or when they were just messing around. He was cunning and a sarcastic ass, something she liked. “I want to show you my favorite place.” He led her to a giant rock that was surrounded by water. “Here, take my hand,” he reached out for her and lifted her to his chest. They walked on top of the rock toward the middle then he stopped her. “Here, right here. Look out, into the water.” Shelby was just amazed by the view. The water even though dark glistened and twinkled with every wave that was closer to the shore. You could see from the moons reflection even better now and the endless continuation of the ocean. The moon looked big and bright over the distance of the still smooth water, like at any moment it was going to turn and smile at her. It looked like a picture or a scene you only see in movies, just absolutely breath taking. “This is my favorite spot. You have to see it when the sun sets. It’s unreal,” he smiled and then reached for her hand, then her waist. “You know, I don’t usually do these kind of things. So, don’t think I’m some easy girl that’s just gonna hook up with you because he used his charm and showed her a view,” she said looking into his eyes with a serious glare. He smiled and looked down then back up at her. “If I was trying to just hook up with you I already would have.” Shelby didn’t know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. He inched forward making the distance between them slowly fade away. “Now you’re saying if I did lean in to kiss you, you wouldn’t kiss me back?” he moved closer again slowly inching more and more each time. “No, i-I, hardly even know you. I had a wonderful time tonight I did but it’s probably really late and I need to get going.” Her hands were trembling and she felt him getting closer and closer. Soon there was no distance between them at all and they were face to face. He was looking her right in her eyes, and he reached out for her face. Every breath she took was terrified and quick. He leaned in and she began to breath heavy and started to panic. She shut her eyes and just went for it, leaning now herself. He opened his eyes and smiled then instead of kissing her mouth he redirected to her cheek. She was frozen, and pulled back. She was happy he didn’t kiss her because then she would feel like attention craving slut, but an ounce of her wanted him too. “Great now he probably thinks I’m easy or something,” she thought to herself “I would have kissed you, but I think it’s better saved for another time. Trust me your worth kissing,” he grinned and released his soft hands from her face. “Thank you for an amazing night” she smiled. They headed back on the beach and strolled along the shore talking some more. When they returned to the resting stop they had met at before Dane ran and got a couple of blankets and pillows telling her he wanted to hear more about herself and that he didn’t want to depart for each other just yet. While he was gone Shelby looked around for Heather hoping desperately she would find her neurotic friend to at least have an eye of where she was. “Damn her, I can’t believe she would just ditch me like that. What if something happened to me? I’m going to have to get up extra early for work tomorrow.” She saw Dane heading back towards her and let the thought of her friend and her work float away. When he arrived they made themselves a nice bed and laid down looking at the stars. “Listen I’m not doing anything with you tonight,” she blurted out at him. She couldn’t help herself her nerves were beginning to build up by the hour, wondering if that’s what his intensions were. Then again, she meant that up on the rock, but she caved in anyway, and got rejected. He laughed, “Do you ever relax, and just let go? Your fine trust me, nothing will happen. Well I mean unless you want it too,” he smirked and raised an eyebrow laughing. She laughed and smacked his arm for being a smart ass. “Can I wrap my arms around you, it’s a little cold is that alright? I’ll try my hardest not to molest you.” He started busting out laughing again. She smacked him again then gave him the ok to his request. He wrapped his arms around her waist and squeezed her tightly. They talked the rest of the night away, talking about their likes and dislikes, family and just about anything. Shelby admitted that she was a bit obsessed with her job, and she could even be considered a workaholic. He laughed saying he couldn’t tell, that she was so tense and up tight for most of the time. He knew for sure it had been awhile since she had fun. As the night faded away so did their talking and soon they were cuddled up asleep on the beach. When morning came around the birds were chirping loud, and the sun was so bright Shelby nearly was blinded when trying to open her eyes. She smiled and turned to look at Dane who was no longer holding her, but when she turned he was gone. All that was there was the blue blanket they had been on, and bits of sand that had worked its way onto the blanket. “Ha, typical. She thought to herself. I’m such an idiot, why did I bother.” She looked around then looked at her phone for the time. “I need to get back to the office quick and get some stuff done.” As she stood up she was so infuriated and sad. She didn’t know him well, I mean they weren’t dating and they didn’t even do anything so it wasn’t a hit it and quit it, but she was still mad though, and couldn’t help but not feel the way she did. Shelby walked back up toward the bonfire and looked to see if heather, or even Dane was up there or not. No luck, and she realized now she was going to have to hike home herself, since heather had drove her there. “She must have slept at some bums house, last time I come with her somewhere,” she snarled holding the blankets in a tight grip. It wasn’t a far drive but it wasn’t a close walk either. Shelby headed on her adventure home. When she got home finally, she went and took a shower and got herself ready for work. She couldn’t get Dane off of her mind though. His eyes, his smile, his personality. Sometimes she would catch herself slipping a smile then replaced it with a sour tone. “Whatever, I don’t have time for guys in my life anyway. All I need is my job and that’s it. It was one stupid night, I wasn’t looking for anybody anyway. Still though how can I just be ditched like that. No goodbye no nothing.” Shelby frustrated headed out the door to return to her favorite place. Her phone began to buzz, she laughed looking who was calling. “Hey ditcher I was beginning to wonder if you were dead or not and I was going to have to call the police to go look for the remains of your body in a ditch somewhere.” “I am so sorry I met this amazing guy and I tried to tell you I was leaving but I couldn’t find you. I think you were getting a drink or something. I told somebody there to let you know that I had left. I called a friend later though and they said you had fallen asleep on the beach,” heather replied with a sorrow tone. “Did they see the boy I was with?” Shelby asked wondering if someone had seen him and maybe saw him leave. “No you were alone, i think that’s what they said, and I think you got drunk then passed out.” “What no I was with a guy, his name was Dane, maybe you met him earlier.” “No, I don’t remember a Dane there, but if u met a guy I want to hear all about it! Hey can you grab me a coffee if you’re on the way to work, which I know you are please, I’ll buy you lunch.” “Fine, we’ll talk later.” She snapped her phone shut and was even more frustrated now gripping her phone tightly. “Am I crazy, did I make all that up? Was that just some glorious dream that never really existed?” Shelby walked up to the coffee shop to grab a coffee and noticed the line extended pretty far. “Are you kidding me,” she thought. “Come on, I have to go to work.” She waited in frustration, but was still lingering on the thought of last night. “You don’t relax much do you?” a familiar voice chimed behind her. She turned and viewed it was Dane having that stupid smirk on his face holding two coffees in his hand and leaning against a table observing her. Smirking she walked over towards him. “You’re just full of surprises aren’t you,” she smiled and laughed.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

*the first few sentences ARENT really hooking.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I'm just gonna tell you in advance; I write my comments live so they are often pretty lengthy. So here we go. The first few sentences are really... Hooking. Make me UNABLE to look away from your story. Also please use the correct punctuation. You might want to develop the Shelby's character a bit more before you launch into the party... I suggest showing more of her work-y side just to better form the character. Also, describe your setting a bit better. I didn't even know she was at work until she said she was going home. I love how you describe hair in bun being "suffocated." That's so accurate! Please watch your grammar inside dialogue... I understand that might not be your first priority, but grammar is never something you leave behind. Never. I wouldn't describe him lifting her up like a rag doll... I get your point but a rag doll seems too sloppy. I really like how you make her relax, then think about work, then relax, and think about work... All back-and-forth. That's realistic. When Heather and Shelby get on the phone call, I can't tell who is talking. You might break up your paragraphs/dialogue more just for the ease of the reader. Confusing ending! I know what happened, but it's confusing. Explain it better; drag it out. And don't end so suddenly. Put a cute little ending on it. Overall, very cool. Work on grammar and overall story structure to improve your writing.