Just Listen | Teen Ink

Just Listen

May 10, 2011
By HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Summary:

Just Listen tells the story of a tragic girl's life, through four different perspectives of a school jock, a popular girl, a school nerd, and the school rebel.

This story reminds us that you can't judge everyone by what is on the surface, just as you can't tell the sturggles each person is facing.

Tags: Friends


Hannah B.

Just Listen


Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 23 comments.


HannahB SILVER said...
on Mar. 6 2013 at 10:18 pm
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Thanks so much! I really appreciate everyone who reads it and I'm so glad it is helping to spread a very important message!

on Jan. 16 2013 at 4:21 pm
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
114 articles 0 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

This book is so beautiful - it tells the tragic short story of regret and peer pressure and bullying and suicide - and all this was made even better by the alternate viewpoints - you really know how to bring different characters to life! Such a sad book, I hope people learn from this and don't deliberately try to hurt other people - or do nothing about bullying, which is, in a way, a little worse. This should be published definitely!

Hannah B. said...
on May. 30 2012 at 8:12 pm

Thank you so much! And no it didnt happen to me personally, however I have friends that have experienced this, and also this was inspired by current news stories about bullying and suicide. Thanks for reading! Your comments are much appreciated!

 


J1029 SILVER said...
on May. 30 2012 at 8:03 pm
J1029 SILVER, Tampa, Florida
5 articles 0 photos 73 comments

Favorite Quote:
Sing like no one is listening,
Dance like no one is watching,
Love like you've never been hurt and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

- Mark Twain

Oh my gosh that was so sad :'( Your are such a great writer. I hope that didn't happen to anyone you know.

on Apr. 12 2012 at 4:28 pm
BlueCannons3030 GOLD, Alleman, Iowa
15 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pain. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
-C.S. Lewis

sweet! That's awesome, thank you for allowing us to do it, I'll comment when we're done, but that won't be for a while, thanks again!

HannahB SILVER said...
on Apr. 12 2012 at 4:05 pm
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
That would be awesome and totally okay! There's nothing specific I would want you guys to do, but I love the fact that you love this book enough to reenact it! Thank you so much for doing this, and I can't wait to watch it when its all done! :)

on Apr. 11 2012 at 9:06 pm
BlueCannons3030 GOLD, Alleman, Iowa
15 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pain. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
-C.S. Lewis

Hey, would you be ok with it if me and my youth group reenacted this story? We will put it on youtube and give you full acknowlegements for it. If you want I can email you back and forth if you want some specific things done. I just thought it would be a cool thing for some youthgroup stuff and we love the story enough that we really want to do this. Thanks for yoour time, and sorry for any wrong grammar I did this all on my kindle :)

on Oct. 18 2011 at 7:45 pm
Prometheus PLATINUM, East Aurora, New York
29 articles 0 photos 106 comments
Great story! It definitely will touch many people.  Actually, this could be a much longer novel, expanded from these separate personal narratives into a larger book following the storyline described by your characters. I love the ending.

on Sep. 27 2011 at 9:15 am
autumndisaster, Woodberry, Other
0 articles 2 photos 6 comments
The hard work you put into was inspiring, really.

HannahB SILVER said...
on Sep. 26 2011 at 8:40 pm
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Really thank you! YOu have no idea how awesome it is for me to hear that about this story! I'm glad you enjoyed the emotions of the characters; i really worked hard to make them believable and emotional! Thank you for your amazing comment!!

HannahB SILVER said...
on Sep. 26 2011 at 8:39 pm
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Thanks so much for the amazing comment! I'm glad you enjoyed the story, and understood the connections I was trying to make between each character! The topic of depression was a difficlut one, however I felt the emotional aspects were so interesting to explore! And I'd love to read your short story/novel... where is it located? Thanks so much again!

HannahB SILVER said...
on Sep. 26 2011 at 8:36 pm
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Thank you so much! I tried to use the repetition to show how alike the characters were and how similarly they felt about the situation. And i really enjoyed your book as well! Thanks again for the great comment!

on Sep. 26 2011 at 11:18 am
autumndisaster, Woodberry, Other
0 articles 2 photos 6 comments
This has to be the most wonderful thing I have read. It is possitively the most amazing thing. It really reflects the emotions of the people and it's just great and hsdgfsgjskdgf.

on Sep. 18 2011 at 9:38 pm
BlueCannons3030 GOLD, Alleman, Iowa
15 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pain. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.
-C.S. Lewis

That brought me to close to tears.

And I'm a guy.

I love how you put that together so perfectly. How you connected everything together. How everyone fet a connection to the girl, whether that be because they were friends or because they had an english class together. Beautifully written, I must say I'm jealous you could pull this off so well.

I'm currently writing a similar story, I actually have a short version of it already on this website called without any parachute, tho I'm going to call the long version I'm currenty writing  just parachute because of a suggestion that I liked.If you aren't too busy, I'd love if you looked at it, the short one will be in the short story realistic fiction section, but it doesn't pull off what I want it to.

I'm going to add more reasons o the depression of my character, to make it more realistic.

I should be ready to post the long version shortly, since I just decided to make it long today, soon before I read this, I'm not quite done yet.

When I am done with it tho, i want it to be in the novel section, so its not just a short story.

Again, cudos on the magnificent writing, people always tell me that writing depression stories is challenging enough (which I know it is from personal experience) and you pulled it off spectacullarly!

sorry for the long comment, but congratz on the great story, and please check out Parachute when it's ready.


on Jun. 30 2011 at 12:53 am
KristinHopkins8 SILVER, Aspen, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 83 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If a writer falls in love with you, you can never die"

OMG, i think i have just found my soul book!!!

HannahB SILVER said...
on May. 17 2011 at 7:30 pm
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Thanks so much!

Meko8195 said...
on May. 17 2011 at 6:13 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

crying right now..... :) a great book.  I was amazed how instead of doing the "girls" feelings you did the other people she was connected to. It made it very unique and VERY realistic. I wish this book had a favorite utton cuz i would love to add it to my favorites.

on May. 14 2011 at 7:27 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Sorry about that! I just added a new chapter so teenink is still approving it. It should be up soon! :)

HannahB SILVER said...
on May. 14 2011 at 10:45 am
HannahB SILVER, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Sure! I'd love to read your work and comment on it! I just can't find it though..

on May. 13 2011 at 9:49 pm
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
31 articles 6 photos 577 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

No problem! I don't mean to sound imposing, but do you think you could check out my novel 'Wandering Soul'? You should be able to find it in the scifi/fantasy top rated section. I'd really like your feedback! :)