"Memories" | Teen Ink

"Memories"

By Sadieee BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Sadieee BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I'm out of control, and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as heck don't deserve me at my best.
~Marilyn Monroe

Summary:

I sat; the harsh rope enfolded around my wrists, irritated my skin. The cold basement staircase wasn’t a new feeling it was cold and damp. The basement was dark except for the small rectangular window way above my head. I sat close to the door as always so I would be able to hear the voice of my parents talking, having fun, entertaining the large crowd of people with fancy dips and imported cheese’s. Being locked in here was just another Friday night; of course I didn’t dare to knock on that door or else I would never hear the end of it.
My dad wasn’t really a huge fan of the whole father son, playing catch in the yard thing. He just never wanted to do any of that with me when I was younger it was more like “Hey why don’t you go in the basement there are new toys in there” So of course as any small child would I would run as fast as fast as possible. I would get down there and realize, yup no new toys just a bowl of mac and cheese and a bouncy ball, Locked in once again.
So here I am in the basement meanwhile a huge gathering is happening in my father’s living room. Everyone in their finest evening gowns including my older sister Elaine, in her beautiful knee length blue dress with a sparkly tulle covering and a navy blue satin sash. And my mother in her long black dress always would say to me before the party’s
“Oh Callum, you would look so darling in a suit and tie. Maybe one day you can join us. But until then don’t make a fuss we wouldn’t want to make your father upset”
It seemed like those were the only words ever spoken to me “Don’t make your father upset” It’s almost like I knew those words better than I know my own name. The stairs creak as I shift my legs and I look under the door a small crack beneath the door makes it possible to see but barely.

Sadieee

"Memories"