Those Days | Teen Ink

Those Days

September 9, 2011
By Andie95 BRONZE, Varnville, South Carolina
More by this author
Andie95 BRONZE, Varnville, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note: well, I wrote this piece last year, my freshman year, so I'm not really sure what inspired me, but I saved it, so I figured "why not submit it." But keep in mind, this story is Fiction, so when it comes to the court chapter, there is nothing real about that, it is not how court is done today.

Alone for once, Alex was in the bathroom stall, sitting fetal position on the closed lid of the toilet, thinking. Maybe I could do it now, I have a belt, he thought to himself. Alex was such a bullied kid, no matter what he did, or said, he was criticized. He was top of his class though, but no one really liked him for that, it’s exactly why he was so bullied. A top class genius, there was no better target.


Alex sat there in total silence, when he suddenly heard voices entering the restroom. He could hear them perfectly now, they stood at the sinks, two people, he could tell. Alex shoved his hands over his mouth, so they couldn’t hear him. The voices, and footsteps, got closer and closer. The fear on Alex’s face was worse than ever before. Suddenly, the door to his stall slammed open and appeared Douglas and his partner in crime sidekick, Donathan.


Douglas was the star quarterback for Rufflin High School, Donathan was receiver. Douglas was a tall and buff guy; he didn’t make the best grades, so he dedicated his life to bullying the smartest of the smart, basically. Donathan had no friends other than Douglas, so he didn’t want to ruin it. Donathan was tall, scrawny, and he was the only African American that Douglas hung around with.


“Well, well, well,” Douglas said. “Look what we’ve got here!”


“Please leave me alone!” Alex argued loudly.


“Sure, when we are done with you we’ll leave you alone” Donathan argued back.


Alex sat there, terrified. When suddenly, Douglas lunged his fist forward, it stopped one inch from Alex’s face. Alex, so scared, soiled himself. The stains appeared on his pants one second later, Douglas and Donathan both laughing. Alex began to cry, he rocked back and forth, then rolled onto the floor.


“Pity” Douglas exclaimed as he turned around and walked off. Donathan stood there for a second, feeling sort of sorry for the poor boy rocking back and forth on the floor. Maybe I should help him? Nah, Douglas is my key to popularity, I can’t lose it now, Donathan thought to himself. Donathan stared at Alex for a half a minute in sorrow, then walked off to join back up with Douglas.


Ashamed and embarrassed, Alex lay there on the cold and hard floor. He curled up, knees to his head. He placed his hands on the ground, and pushed up so he could stand. He was now standing and he could see something shiny and sharp over on the sink.


Alex walked over to the sink, and he could now see the object clearly enough to know what it was, a razor. He picked up the razor, looked at it, then looked at his arm, Alex repeated a couple of times. Then, Alex paused, and he touched metal to arm, and blood slowly came out. Now, after a minute, the blood was coming out faster and he was starting to get dizzy. Alex tried to walk, but ended up falling in the corner, and he was now unconscious.


It was about half an hour later, he awoke, laying on a white bed, with a woman in a white dress standing over him. He recognized the room when his vision wasn’t blurry anymore; he was in the nurse’s office. The nurse Ms. Amelia realized he was awake now, “It’s going to be okay” she said, and then left the room. She came back in a second later holding some medical wrap. Ms. Amelia brought the wrap to Alex. She unraveled it, and started wrapping Alex’s wrist.


Alex began to move his wrapped wrist, to test his flexibility. He looked at it for a minute, and then put his arm down. Alex sat up, and asked “Am I able to go now?”


“Sure?”


Alex got up and left the room, and then the building. Alex was on a straight path for his car, when Douglas appeared from behind Alex’s car. NO! Alex thought to himself. Douglas bent over and picked up a pipe, and began beating Alex’s pick-up truck. “NO! STOP!” Alex exclaimed while starting to run for his car.


“Make me!”


Alex stopped in his tracks, he couldn’t stop Douglas and he knew that. Maybe, just maybe, he thought. Alex turned to his left, facing the gym, and ran for the door. He didn’t want to turn his head to see Douglas chasing him, but he wanted to know if he was being followed, so he turned his head. Alex could now see Douglas running as fast as he could. Alex panicked and ran faster than ever, slamming into the door and opening it.


Alex took the quickest door, which just so happened to be the first door on the left, the girls’ locker room. He ran to the back of the locker room, ducking behind a set of lockers. Alex could hear the door open, and he closed his eyes hoping not to see Douglas standing there. Alex peeked over, to see a girl standing by a locker ravaging through her gym bag. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw him and she jumped back screaming “What are you doing here?”


“He’s outside!”


“Who is?” she asked again, wanting answers.


“Douglas!”


The girl knew Douglas was a bad person most of the time, and she felt sorry. She walked forward, and hugged Alex. “I’m so sorry” she said sympathetically.


They stood there in each other’s arms, now for a minute. She picked her head up from beyond Alex’s shoulders. Now, they stare straight into each other’s eyes. Alex wasn’t much of a ladies’ man, but he knew his point of romance, he leaned in and touched his lips to hers. Their lips touched for about a minute before he backed up, and she said “I’m Nola, Nola Shades.”


“I’m Alex, Alex Groves.”


Silence again took the air, “Would you by any chance be able to give me a ride home?” Nola asked with intent of going home with him.


“Yes, yes I can, come this way” Alex said, flattered.


Alex now led Nola to his car, in which he’d been caught up in the romance, he’d forgotten that Douglas beat his car up a little bit. They got outside, and walked to his car. “Why is it so out of shape?” Nola asked while entering the passenger seat, like anyone would have.


“Douglas, obviously,” Alex said entering the driver seat.


The seats in the front were connected by a third middle seat, as were the back seats too. The front seats were a dark forest green; the back seats were lighter than the front. Alex was now putting the car into gear, and drove off. Just leaving the school parking lot, Nola kept looking over at Alex, and then at the middle seat. Alex realized she kept glancing at him, and he patted the middle seat for her to sit next to him.


Now, Nola lay in the seat next to Alex and wrapped her arms around Alex’s right arm, and her head on his shoulder. It bothered Alex’s driving a little at first, but he got used to it. Alex was realizing something in his stomach, he was getting the butterflies. He really liked this girl, she was pretty, she was sweet, she actually liked him, and they looked really cute together.


“So, where do you live, I know it’s on this street?” Alex asked, looking at her pretty face while it lay on his shoulder.
“Right there, thanks” Nola replied pointing to her right.
Nola let go of Alex’s arm, lifted her head, and kissed Alex’s cheek before scooting back into her old seat to get out of the truck. “Wait!” Alex exclaimed, grabbing her hand and pulling her back to him. Alex kissed her on the lips once more, and when he let go of her lips, they stared into each other’s eyes again. Nola reached out of her trance and got out of the car.


“Bye” Nola screamed flirtingly.


“Bye” Alex exclaimed.
Alex drove off as soon as Nola entered her house, he hadn’t walked her to her door, and he regretted it. I knew it; I knew I should have walked her to her door! Alex thought to himself, being hard on his self. He didn’t go to hard on himself because he knew he would get to see her again, Alex was sure of it.


Now, Alex was at his house, which was surprisingly close to Nola’s house. He lay in his bed, thinking about Nola. The same came for both, though.


Nola, in her bed, thought about Alex. When will I see him again? Nola thought to herself. She missed Alex’s warm body, his arm, his shoulder. She missed having her head on his comfortable shoulder, he missed this much too. They both missed each other, even though they’d just met, but that just made them more eager to see each other again. They just lay there, wondering and daydreaming about each other, Maybe tomorrow would hold more in store for these two recently new lovers.

It was morning, and for Nola, it was a hard morning. The day before, she’d met this guy, Alex Groves, a really cute boy that she liked. He came out of nowhere in the most awkward place to find a guy, in the girls locker room.


Now, he was all she thought about, but her parents weren’t letting that happen. Her parents, Mrs. Nicole and Mr. Edgar were fighting, as always. They were no help to this love story Nola hoped to enter and enjoy. Nola had always had nightmares that her parents would divorce, and it seemed as if this were going to be reality soon enough.


“Nola!” Mrs. Nicole called.


“Yes, ma’am”


“Pack a suit case, after school, we’re going to rent a motel” Mrs. Nicole exclaimed with an angry voice.


“Okay” Nola said sadly.


I knew this day would come again, I hate this, the way they argue, I wish they could just get along already, Nola thought to herself, scared to even ask about why they don’t get along because she was afraid of the answer she would get. Nola walked back to her room, and walked to the other side to get clothes out of her dresser. She packed for a week’s worth, that’s normally how long this lasted.


Nola was now done packing, and she walked to the front door, when Mr. Edgar called out “Stop right there!”


“What dad?”


“Please don’t leave me tonight” he begged.


“Dad, I have to do something!” Nola replied slamming the front door and walking over to her mom’s car.


Her dad came out of the house yelling “But…”


“No buts’ dad, bye!” Nola exclaimed.


Mr. Edgar went back inside to sulk on the couch. He’d realized he wasn’t only losing his wife, but also losing his daughter. Mr. Edgar tried all he could do to save this family, but it wasn’t enough.


Nola got into her mom’s car saying “okay.”


“Honey, are you okay?” Mrs. Nicole asked, she knew that her daughter was sad.


“No!” Nola replied starting to shed tears.


“Baby, what’s wrong?”


“You and dad!” Nola said putting her hands over her face to wipe the tears.


“I’m sorry, but you know your dad and I aren’t getting along so well recently” Mrs. Nicole said, hoping to get through to her daughter.


“Yea, I know this, why not?”


“Baby, it’s a long story” Mrs. Nicole answered her daughters question that hit her in the heart; she couldn’t get herself to talk about the sad topic.


“I’ve got time, mom!”


“No you don’t, we’re here, time for school, don’t let us get to your head and ruin your life, make the best and do good!” Mrs. Nicole exclaimed.


“Whatever!” Nola exclaimed slamming her mom’s car door after getting out.


Nola walked over to the gym, and instead of going up the bleachers with her friends, she wanted to be alone, and walked under the bleachers. In the dark, she felt alone, that’s what she wanted. She could tell there was someone else there, she looked forward and could see someone standing at the other end. She walked over to the person, she was now arms length away from this person, and tapped their shoulder. “Whoa, who’s there?” the person said, turning around, it was Alex!


“Alex?”


“Nola?”


“I missed you” they said at the same time while leaning in for a long hug. They hugged for about a minute before letting go. “What are you doing here?” Nola asked.


“Hiding from Douglas, you?”


“Problems with the family, I don’t want to bore you”


“I don’t bore easily, come on, tell me what’s wrong” Alex insisted on Nola telling him what was wrong.


“No, I don’t want to talk about it” Nola said, remembering all that had happened between her parents.


“Will this help?” Alex asked leaning in to kiss her, then leaning back once the kiss was done.


“No, not really”


“It’s that bad?”


“Yea” Nola said worried.


“Ok well we can just sit here and wait then” Alex said. “Come on, sit”


Alex sat down; Nola sat right next to him. Nola wrapped her hands around Alex’s arm, and she slowly went down his arm, eventually reaching his wrist. “Why aren’t you wearing the medical wrap?”


“It was annoying me”


“Ok, well what did you do to your wrist anyways?”


“Well, yesterday, I was in the bathroom, and Douglas and Donathan attacked me. When they were done, I was feeling bad and I found this on the sink” Alex said pulling the razor out of his pocket.


“You didn’t cut yourself did you?”


“Yes” Alex said ashamed.


Nola wrapped her hands around Alex’s wrist out of sorrow for the suicidal thought he had. Alex sat there, letting her feel his arm up and down. Nola wanted to say something but she was interrupted by a voice behind her yelling “Hey, you there!”


They turned around, and they saw the person, Douglas, Donathan wasn’t with him this time. “You two, together?” Douglas asked looking surprised.


“Are you surprised?” Alex said.


“Shut up, she’s way out of your league!” Douglas exclaimed.


“Why don’t you shut up Douglas? You’re just saying that because I dumped you” Nola asked.


“Well…”Douglas was interrupted.


“Exactly” Nola responded before he could say anything else.


Douglas got so angry, he didn’t say anything, he just charged straight at them. He bumped into Nola, knocking her to the ground. Douglas now stood a yard from Alex, ready to fight.


“I’m not going to fight you!” Alex exclaimed, he could tell Douglas wanted to fight.


“Why not, scared?”


“No, I’m not going to fight a low life punk!” Alex said, he really didn’t know what he got himself into.


“Really, is that what you think now?” Douglas said, losing his temper and punching Alex right in the face, sending him to the floor.


“Stop it!” Nola yelled, tired of fighting and drama.


“Make me!” Douglas said.


Nola sat there quietly, staring at Alex lying on the floor, hurt badly. His nose was hit pretty hard from that punch, it was bleeding now.


“Stand up, weakling!” Douglas exclaimed.


No response from anyone, Douglas got tired of waiting, and kicked Alex in the stomach as hard as he could and walked off like nothing was wrong. Nola crawled over to hold Alex in her arms as he was hurting. Now, they lay there, in the loudness of the crowd of people sitting in the bleachers above them. The bell rang, and everyone left the gym, except for Alex and Nola, they just lay there, waiting for their time to leave.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Now, it was time to go home, school was over and the last bell had just rang. “I think it’s time we left school?” Alex said questioningly.


“Yea” Nola answered him.


Alex and Nola got in his car and they left the schools parking lot. Alex and Nola were on the road, in the same position they were in yesterday, Nola wrapped around Alex’s right arm and her head on his shoulder, the way they each liked it to be.


Alex dropped Nola off at her house, this time; he walked her to her door. They stood there, at her front door, hugging for a minute, then a kiss, and she went inside. Alex got back in his car, and was on his way back to his house.


Alex got there, and went to his front door, opened it, and went straight to his room. Alex went straight for his bed, he lay there, thinking, why me, why? Why can’t I just die now? I don’t want leave Nola though, I’ve only known her two days now, but she’s the best thing in my life. Alex was stressed out and confused right now.


Alex took the razor out of his pocket, and stared at it, and then at his already cut wrist. No I shouldn’t, Nola, Nola, Alex thought to himself, thinking on reasons why not to do it. Alex didn’t want to do it, but he felt like he had to. Alex took the razor, and gently placed it on his wrist, then pushed hard and pushed it across his wrist.


The blood ran down his arm, leaving blood red stains on the white sheets of his bed. Alex just sat there in pain, waiting for his moment of unconsciousness. It wasn’t coming as fast this time. Eventually, Alex was beginning to become unconscious, the last thing he remembers is the sound of the front door opening, but he fell unconscious before he could know anything else.

Alex’s eyes barely opening, he was awake now. What time is it? Alex thought to himself. He could smell the delicious smell of sizzling bacon, but Alex lived alone, and then he remembered. Alex had heard the door open before he knocked out last night, which made him remember something else. Alex picked up his arm, to find out that his arm had been bandaged.


Alex then sat up, and was prepared to go into the kitchen to find out who was cooking the bacon, and who had gotten into his house last night. Before standing up, Alex looked at the sheets on his bed, they were blood red. That much blood? Alex thought, he hadn’t known he bled that much, but if it happened over night, then the person in his house must’ve cared enough for him to stop the bleeding, and to bandage his wrist.


Alex finally stood, inching his was to the door, still a little hurt in his arm and a little tired. For some reason, his leg was hurting to, he didn’t remember cutting or hurting his leg last night. His footsteps creaked in the wooden floor as he walked to the end of the hallway to peek over the corner of the kitchen.


“Well good morning” a voice form the kitchen called, Alex too sleepy to tell who this voice belonged to.


Alex was now at the corner of the kitchen, and he paused. Alex took a breath, and then entered the kitchen.


“Glad you’re up” Nola said, washing her hands on a rag.


“What are you doing here?” Alex asked.


“Not even a good morning?”


“Sorry, good morning, now why are you here? Was that you who entered my house last night?” Alex questioned her, wanting answers.


“It’s a long story, here, have some bacon” Nola answered him, picking up the pan of bacon and placing a couple of pieces of bacon on his plate on the table. “Come, sit and eat.”


Nola walked over to the little table, where Alex now sat, and placed her arms on his shoulders. “Is it good? That’s how I normally make bacon, didn’t know if you’d like it, I had to try it.”


“It’s good!” Alex said, “How do you make it?”


“My secret” Nola said.


Alex tried to pick up another piece of bacon, just this time; he tried to do it with his hurt arm, bad idea. Alex had the piece of bacon up to his mouth, when suddenly; his wrist gave in and began to hurt really badly. “Ouch!” Alex yelled out in agony.


“What is it?” Nola asked, worried.


“My wrist!” Alex said lifting his wrist for her to see.


Alex was showing Nola his wrist, when they noticed the bandage started to turn a deep red, that’s when they realized his wound was now bleeding. “I’ll get the cotton swabs!” Nola exclaimed, turning around and running for the linen closet.


Nola was ravaging through the closet for the cotton swabs. First, she looked through the first drawer, then the second, and then the third, no cotton swabs. “Where are they?” Nola yelled her question.


“I don’t know; you used them last to stop it from bleeding last time didn’t you?”


“True” Nola replied, going back through each drawer, when she remembered she had used them last night, so they must’ve been in Alex’s room.


Nola ran into Alex’s room, and sure enough, the cotton swabs lay on the dresser next to Alex’s bed. Nola grabbed the cotton swabs and ran back out to get back to Alex. “Hurry up!” Alex yelled out, not knowing Nola was right behind him.


“I’m right here!” Nola said. “I’m going fast as I can!”


Nola unwrapped his bandage, and used the cotton swabs to dab on the bloody wrist. Eventually, the blood was dried up, and Alex was so thankful. “Thank you!” Alex exclaimed, looking into Nola’s pretty face.


“You’re welcome” Nola said, glancing at Alex, noticing that he was staring at her.


Nola turned her head, and placed her lips onto Alex’s. They sat there, in long kiss, as they haven’t done so yet this morning. Nola got too intense with this kiss, and let tongue get involved. Her tongue gently slimmed into Alex’s mouth, and Alex hadn’t been in many relationships before, and he wasn’t used to this, so he was startled and jumped back.


“Oh I’m sorry, I forgot you haven’t done that before” Nola said, hoping he wouldn’t be totally freaked out.


“It’s ok, I think I’ll get used to it” Alex said, leaning back in to continue where they left off.


Now, Alex was still sitting in his chair, and Nola stood to his right. Nola began to sit on the table, causing Alex to stand up out of his chair to get heads height with Nola. Nola leaned back a little, making Alex prop one leg up on the table.


Then, in the middle of this romance, Nola remembered one thing about Alex’s room, his sheets. “Oh, I almost forgot!” Nola said, sorry to leave Alex hanging like that. “Just get a drink, I’ll be right back!”


“Okay?” Alex said questioningly, getting up and going to the counter to fix a drink. He opened the cupboard, and all that stood there were bottles of wine from the nineteen-eighties.


Nola ran into Alex’s room, pulling his sheets off of his bed, and running back down the hall to the laundry room at the end. She placed the sheets in the washer, then turned around and headed back for the kitchen. She turned the corner to see Alex pouring the wine into two glasses. “What are you doing?” She quickly asked.


“Fixing a drink, want some?”


“No! That’s wine; you know that’s an alcohol!” Nola snapped.


“Yea, so?” Alex argued.


“So? It could kill you!”


“Yea, I know, maybe that’s the point” Alex said, not thinking before saying.


“Wow!” Nola said, turning around and heading straight for Alex’s room, she entered the room, and then slammed the door and locked it. Alex ran right after her, trying to get her to stop ranting.


“Come on, baby” Alex said banging on the door.


“No! Leave me alone” Nola said, crying.


Nola walked over the corner, and sat on the floor. She positioned herself in the fetal position, knees up, and her head lying on her knees, crying.


“Please?” Alex said questioningly, with no luck of getting to her.


“Just leave!”


Alex had nothing else to say or do. He just sat on the floor, back to the door, and waited for her to stop her rage. Eventually, Alex fell asleep while Nola just sat in the corner and sulked.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


It was now late that night, and Nola still sat in Alex’s room, isolated. Suddenly, the door opened, and Alex’s body fell to the floor, waking him up. Nola walked out of the room, and out the front door. Where is she going, he asked himself.


Alex ran to the front door, opened it, and he could see Nola at the edge of his yard, “Wait!” Alex yelled.


Nola turned around and said “I’ll call you later; I need some time to think!”


“But…” Alex said. “Please come back?”


Nola ignored him and just kept on walking down the road. She’d realized it’d take about ten minutes to walk to her house, enough time, no worries, but then, she heard the sound of a truck coming up behind her. It sounded like Alex’s truck! Nola ignored it and kept walking, but it eventually caught up to her, and it was now directly beside her. “Come on, at least let me take you home?” Alex asked her from his trucks window.


Nola kept on walking for half of a minute, then turned to her right and said “Fine.”


Nola walked to the other side of the car, and got in. She didn’t sit in the middle like the last two nights. Nola didn’t want to sit next to him, she was that mad.


Why can’t he see that it hurts me, Nola asked herself in her mind, although there were no answers.


“Can we please end this stage of madness?” Alex asked her politely.


“No we cannot!” Nola answered him, locking her arms together in front of her to make a pouty gesture.


“Why not?” Alex asked, wishing she would answer him back.


Nola didn’t reply, she just sat there in silence for the rest of the two minute ride. They eventually got to her house, and Nola got out and slammed the door, not even a good bye.


Alex drove back to his house, upset. His life was a mess; he was an orphan, now Nola, the thing most meaning to him right now, was mad at him, and let’s not forget Douglas! All of this made Alex really sad and depressed.


When he got home, Alex went straight to his room and to his bed, He got comfortable and tried to sleep, but he couldn’t, he just sat there thinking about Nola. Eventually, Alex shifted over on his side, and fell asleep.

Alex woke up, rubbing his eyes. Man that was a weird dream, he thought. His dream really was, in fact, weird. Alex hoped that this horrid dream wouldn’t ever happen; he didn’t need Nola to have more worries.


His dream was pretty much just him hanging himself in his own room, signifying death, here in his own room! This scared Alex, but what was weird, was the he noticed his bandage was unwrapped. It lay on the floor below his arm, which was hanging off the bed. Maybe it fell while I was asleep, oh well, Alex thought to himself.


Alex heard footsteps coming from the kitchen, is she back again this morning, Alex asked himself. “Nola?” Alex called out. “


“Nope” a voice Alex didn’t recognize called out back.


Alex was starting to get scared. He stood up and got out of bed. Alex walked slowly to his door and peeked in the hall, glancing in both directions before going again to the kitchen. Alex slowly crept up to the corner, and peeked over. Donathan was sitting at the table.


“Donathan?” Alex said questioningly.


“Yep, surprised to see me here?”


“Yea, why are you here?” Alex questioned him.


“A change of heart, I guess you could call it that.” Donathan said with a smile.


“Okay?” Alex said questioningly.


“Yep, so I see you’ve attempted suicide, twice?” Donathan questioned Alex about his cut wrists.


“Yea” Alex answered, ashamed, and putting his head down.


“Well, we’re going to have to fix this aren’t we?”


“Maybe, if that’s possible.” Alex said mournfully.


“Don’t be so sad, okay?”


“I’ll try not to.”


“Come on, maybe you’ll do fine with your life” Donathan tried to cheer Alex up.


“Or maybe I won’t!” Alex exclaimed back.


“Come on, cheer up, have a drink!”


Donathan had two bottles of wine out on the table. He poured two glasses, one for himself, and one for Alex. Donathan handed Alex the bottle, and they both drank the glasses. Glass after glass, the two bottles on the table weren’t enough for them; they brought the bottles from the cupboard. Alex normally drank around two glasses a time, now he’d been drinking a lot more than that. They were both drunk.


“You happier yet?” Donathan asked Alex.


“A little” Alex said standing up and then tripping on the chair leg.


Alex tried to get up, but he couldn’t, he had to have Donathan help him up. “Drink some more, then!” Donathan told him, as if it were any truth in that sentence.


There was a clicking at the door, then, the door opened, and Douglas walked in. Douglas tried to be as silent as possible; he walked over the kitchen corner, and watched the two drunks’ party.


“Having fun yet?” Donathan asked Alex.


“Heck yea!” Alex exclaimed, lifting his glass in the air.


“Okay, well I know a way to make it even more fun”


“Like what?” Alex asked, curious.


“Come with me!” Donathan said, leading Alex to the hallway. Douglas freaked out, ran backwards to the first door he could find, and went in the room, ironically, it was Alex’s room. Donathan entered the hallway, and went for Alex’s room.


Douglas ran to the closet, entered it and shut the door so that he could see out of a one inch crack. Alex and Donathan entered the room.


“Sit, on the bed” Donathan said.


“Okay!” Alex said no clue on what was going on.


They both sat on the bed now, “how exactly is this more fun?” Alex asked, looking up at Donathan, who had a big smile on his face.



Donathan leaned over to kiss Alex right on the lips. Alex, shocked, stared into space for a few moments before finally talking. “What was that?”



“A kiss, I’m gay” Donathan replied.



“Whoa! Really? Well I’m not!”



“You’re not?” Donathan asked.



“No! I’m with Nola!”



“Oh, well, how did you like it though?”



“I didn’t like it!” Alex exclaimed.



“Oh, well, I’m sorry” Donathan apologized.



Douglas pushed open the closet shouting “What the heck!”



“Oh, I forgot about you!”



“Wait, you’re working together? What are you planning?” Alex asked.



“To get rid of you! Everyone knows Nola wants me back” Douglas exclaimed, full of himself.



“Why do you say that? She seems really happy with me!”Alex exclaimed, angered by Douglas’s ego.



“I know that’s why I’m getting rid of you” Douglas muttered under his breath.



Alex stood up and asked “What was that?”



“Nothing, now let’s get to it, okay?” Douglas said pulling out a knife.



Douglas lunged towards Alex, but Donathan pushed Douglas onto the bed. Douglas hit the bed and rolled across it and fell on the other side. Alex and Donathan backed up towards the door, waiting for him to get up, but he never did. They turned around to walk out when they heard a thump, Donathan turned around, to see Douglas sprinting forward toward him. Douglas tackled Donathanand they both now lay on the floor. Then, in mid fight, there was a knock on the door. “Who could it be now?” Alex exclaimed really angry at the surprise guests for the day. Alex turned and ran to the door, leaving Donathan behind.



Donathan seemed to be winning this fight, surprising. “Boy! Get off of me!” Douglas exclaimed for the fact that he was in a fight with someone he now knows is gay.



“Why? You’re now worried about me tackling you? Is it just because I’m gay? You had no problem with it before!” Donathan said powerfully.



“YES! That makes all the difference!” Douglas said punching Donathan off of him.



Douglas stood up, over Donathan. “Now that’s what you get!” Douglas yelled, kicking Donathan in the stomach. “Get away from him!” a female voice screamed, then Douglas found himself on the floor, he’d been hit with a glass of wine. Douglas looked up, his eyesight faintly showed him his attacker. He could see Nola standing over him. “Nola?” Douglas whispered, before she kicked him in the face, knocking him out cold.



“Donathan, you okay?” Nola asked, picking him up.



“Yea, I should be okay, thanks for asking” Donathan thanked his savior.



“No problem, now why are you here anyways?” Nola asked Donathan.



“He was helping Douglas!” Alex exclaimed. “Before he got a little distracted.”



“What are you talking about?” Nola asked.



“It’s not my fault!” Donathan said, “I couldn’t help it!” he added.



“Help what? I’m confused! Someone inform me on what happened!” Nola was getting frustrated that she was left out of the loop.



“He kissed me!” Alex exclaimed!



“I kind of kissed him” Donathan said right after Alex.



“What?” Nola yelled, Doanthan lowered his head.



“Yea! He’s gay!” Alex yelled once more.



“Okay, now calm down Alex” Nola said, hugging Alex to calm him down.



“Okay, okay” Alex said calmly.



“Now, are you done freaking out?” Donathan asked.



“He’d better be!” Nola exclaimed, giving Alex the evil eye.



“Sure.” Alex said, after catching the glace Nola gave him.



“And for you!” Nola exclaimed, looking at Donathan. “He’s mine!”



“Okay, I know, but as I said, I couldn’t control myself” Doanthan tried to cover up his feelings for Alex.



“You like me don’t you?” Alex asked, walking over to Donathan.



“Maybe” Donathan answered.



“Well, I would rather you not kiss me again? Okay?” Alex wanted Donathan to know not to touch him.



“Okay I get it!” Donathan said, storming out the room.



“Great! You hurt him!” Nola exclaimed angrily.



Nola walked out, calling Donathan by his name. Alex, turned around, and walked over to his bed. He lay down and began to shed tears. He’d hurt the most important girl in his life, and over something so stupid. He started to hear mumbling though. Then, he remembered about Douglas. Alex looked at the floor where Douglas once lay, and he was gone. Alex grabbed the phone on the hook by his bed and dialed 911.



“911 what’s your emergency?” the operator asked routinely.



“There’s someone in my house, and he’s trying to kill me!”



“Hold on, just give us your address” the operator said.



Out of the corner of his eye, Alex saw Douglas inching out form the hallway. “He’s right here!” Alex screamed. Douglas charged forward, with a limp, and attempted to punch Alex. Alex jumped out of the way, dropping the phone. “Hold on, we are tracing this call” the operator said, Alex heard her form the distance. Alex jumped up off the floor and ran into the hallway. He continued for the kitchen, Douglas a few yards behind him.



Nola and Donathan sat at the table, talking. Suddenly, Alex came running in, he looked scared to the two whom had no idea why. “Alex?” Nola said. Then, Douglas ran in and paused at the front.



“You know, you are going to pay for this” Douglas said pointing at Alex. “And you too, gay boy!”



“Whatever!” Doanthan said.



Douglas turned around and ran out. Nola ran to the front door. She could see Douglas running down the street, and the cop cars coming from the other way. Nola turned around to notify Alex and Donathan that the cops were there.



The two cop cars drove quickly into Alex’s front yard. When they stopped, almost as if in sequence, the two cops got out of their cars. One cop walked up to Alex, “Are you Alex?”



“Yea”



“Okay, so where’s this guy that’s trying to kill you?”



“He ran down that way” Nola said pointing down the road where she saw Douglas run.



“Okay, let’s go” the officer said to the other one.



“Wait” Donathan said.



“Yes?”



“Could you take me home?” Donathan asked.



“Sure, where do you live?” The officer asked.



“I’ll show you” Donathan replied to the cop, turning around to look at Nola and Alex. “Thanks, for everything” Doanthan said, hugging Nola, and then Alex.



Donathan got in the car with the officer. They drove away, Donathan looked back to Alex and Nola, he could see them hugging, and he just sat and watched as he got farther away, and as they turned the curve and they were out of sight.

“So, what do we do now?” Nola asked, looking up at Alex’s face.



“I don’t know, let’s go inside and find out baby” Alex replied with a grin.



“You called me baby” Nola said smiling, leading the way back in the house.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Alex woke up, lifting his head from restlessness. Alex went to get up, when he realized he wasn’t the only one in his bed. Nola lay beside him, still asleep. Alex peered around the room; there were empty wine bottles all over the floor. “Did we drink all of that?” Alex asked, as if someone were listening.



He got up, trying not to wake Nola. He gently and softly walked across the floor, making it to the kitchen. Then, the floor creaked, and he stood still, listening out for Nola’s awakening. No sound, so he moved on into the kitchen. He saw the cabinets all open, the fridge was open as well. “What happened” Alex whispered in the wind.



Back in the bed, Nola began to awake as well. She looked around the room as Alex did, but she did not question, she simply got up and walked to the kitchen. “Good morning, what happened last night?” Alex asked her as he saw her walk in.



“Always getting to the point, but I don’t know, you’re asking the wrong person” Nola answered him, limping over to the table.



“Baby! You’re hurt?” Alex said questioningly.



“I guess I am” Nola said, with no care in the world.



Then, there was a knock on the door. Alex looked at Nola, and then glanced at the door, “I’ll be right back stay here” he told her.



Alex walked to the door and opened it. The cop from last night was standing there in front of Alex. “Is everything alright?” the officer asked.



Alex looked at the cop’s badge, “Officer Amps, everything is okay, no need to worry.”
“May I take a look around? Just a perimeter check.” Officer Amps obliged.



Without answer, Officer Amps walked in; the kitchen was his first stop. “Little miss, you okay?”



“Yes sir, thanks” Nola answered.



“What happened here?” Officer Amps asked noticing all the open cupboards.



“We don’t know” Alex answered.



“Oh, well all this wine looks like it could be our answer” Officer Amps suggested.



“I guess” Alex said



Nola sat still, her head bobbing back and forth because she was so tired. She laid her head on the table to ignore the conversation. She was beginning to get a little of a headache.



Officer Amps walked through the hallway, reaching Alex’s room, to see all the other wine bottles. “How old are you all again?”



“Seniors in high school, why?” Alex said entering his room.



“Well, I’m just wondering why you live alone and why you have so much alcohol for someone under the age limit” Officer Amps said turning around to face Alex.


“What are you getting at Officer Amps?” Alex asked.


“I’m going to have to take you two down to the station, just until we get this cleared out” Officer Amps suggested to the juvenile.



“Okay” Alex gave in easily.



Officer Amps took Alex to the kitchen where they were to pick up Nola. Nola was asleep on the table. Alex tapped her on the shoulder to tell her it’s time to go. “Why?” Nola asked.



“Because, Officer Amps wants us to come with him for the day” Alex propositioned.



“Okay” Nola gave in, too tired to care.



Officer Amps loaded the two into the back of the car, and drove to the station. Not far from Alex’s house, just a few turns. “How long will this last?” Alex asked.



“I truthfully do not know” Officer Amps answered, pulling into the parking lot of the Rufflin Police Station.



Officer Amps let the two out of the back, and lead them into the first cell right next to his desk. He had all intentions of keeping an eye on these two. Alex helped Nola walk to the small bed on the right side of the cell, he placed her down to sleep, and sat on the edge near her feet and made sure she was safe.



A few hours passed, and Nola was beginning to wake up. “What time is it?” she whispered to Alex.



“I don’t know” Alex replied, nudging toward the officer’s desk.



Alex had been dosing off the past few hours and had just realized that Officer Amps wasn’t the one at the desk. “Who are you?” Alex asked.



“Officer Lukowski” the man said.



“Okay, Officer Lukowski, where’s Officer Amps?”



“I don’t know, he told me to cover until he got back, some kid came in and got him” Officer Lukowski answered.



“Who was the kid?” Alex asked.



“I think his name was Donathan” Officer Lukowski guessed.



“Okay, well when is he coming back?” Alex asked.



“Any minute now” Officer Lukowski answered.



The door to the station opened and in walked Officer Amps and behind him Donathan. “Lukowski, you can go now” Officer Amps ordered.



“Okay, sir”



“Alex, Nola, ya’ll awake?” Officer Amps said banging on the cell bars.



“Yea, what’s the news?” Alex asked.



“Well, i got this in the mail, you’d better read this”



Donathan handed Alex a paper, it had words written on it and appeared to be a note or letter. Alex unfolded the paper, and positioned it in front of his face to read. “It’s from Douglas!” Alex exclaimed.



Alex began reading the note. “Read it aloud” Donathan said.



Alex began to read “Dear Donathan, I am dearly sorry for the pain I have caused you, I hope we can still be friends and you can forgive me” Alex put the paper down to look Donathan in the face. “What do you and him have going?” Alex asked Donathan.



“Distractions, keep reading” Donathan said.
Alex began to read on, “Please read this letter with the most sincere apologetically thoughts possible, for I did not intend to hurt the one that supported me the most. You stuck by me through thick and thin. You were my right hand man and when I needed you, you were there for help and never let me down. I never remember one time that I was there to help you, so here am I to do that now.”



“So ya’ll are dating?” Nola began to question Donathan.



“Yes, it’s a long story and I will tell you If you really want to know, but he continues to confess, so please, read on” Donathan said sincerely to Nola.



Nola looked up at Alex and nudged his side to tell him to read on. Alex began to read, hoping to find the solution, “I did a horrible thing to you and I really do hope you can forgive me, but you’re not the only one. I have hurt Nola, I dated her and she loved me the real thing is, I was gay and she was a cover up, so for that, I say I’m sorry to her.”



“I was a cover up?” Nola exclaimed. “And I never really did love him! Just for the record!” Nola added.



“Anyways, lets continue” Alex said, “I have done the worst possible to Alex, I trashed his house last night, I knocked him and Nola both out with a crowbar, so I doubt they remember anything, but anyways, I trashed his house, poured out all of his wine, and made it seem as if he and Nola had a party. All this to get back at him for being smarter, I do regret all of this and I wish I could undo everything. As you read this, Alex and Nola are probably at the police station, and all you have to do is turn in this paper, and I will turn myself in, I will take all charges accused, but remember this, I still love you and I always will, and I hope you can forgive me.”



Donathan stood leaning against the cell, beginning to cry.

Everyone was looking at Donathan as he wiped his eyes. Donthan turned his back to everyone so they didn’t have to see him like this.



“Are you okay?” Nola asked Donathan politefully.



“Yea, just give me a moment” Donathan replied.



All eyes were still on Donathan as he turned around to talk to everyone. “So?” He asked the curious crowd.



“Why” Alex asked.



“Why what?” Donathan asked this strange question he did not understand.



“Why go out with that” Alex paused with lack of no better term, and continued a second later to say “thing.”



“Why do you call him that? You guy’s give him no credit for how sweet he is, or how good he can be” Donathan answered, it truly was not what Alex wanted to hear.



Alex, disgusted, answered back “Can be is the main word in that sentence, he was total a-hole to me!”



“True, I know he can be mean at times, but you read the letter, he said he’s sorry” Donathan tried to defend Douglas.



“Do I look like I’m going to take a sorry for what he has done to me?” Alex said angrily.



“No not really” Donathan said, being smart.



“Guys! Let’s stop. Okay?” Nola suggested, frustrated from the headache she still possessed.



“Fine” Alex said looking down to Nola and feeling sorry.



Officer Amps got the letter back from Alex and took it over to the evidence room. “I should probably come to” Donathan suggested, walking with the Officer.



Once they had left the room, Alex looked at Nola and said “Since when was someone saying I’m sorry okay for what Douglas did?”



“I don’t know, but I did know they were dating” Nola told Alex.



“Wait, how?”



“Last night, when you made him mad, and I went to comfort him, he told me all about it”



“so you’ve known since last night?” Alex asked.



“Yes, that’s what that means” Nola said with a smart attitude.



“Okay?” Alex said questioningly.



“Well, that’s also why I chased him out of the house, I wanted to know why he made Donathan feel so bad” Nola answered.



“Why was Donathan so sad? It couldn’t have been because of me” Alex said, sure that he was right.



“Well, he was talking about how Douglas had betrayed him and gone back on their relationship once they were fighting in that room. He was sure that Douglas wouldn’t fight him, but he did. That made Donathan really upset and I think that you yelling at him made him even more upset.” Nola gave a long speech or so it seemed to Alex.



“So he wasn’t upset because of me?”



“Not entirely, no” Nola answered.



“Oh” Alex was surprised



“Yea, but there’s a lot you don’t know about Donathan”



“What do you mean?” Alex asked.



“I can’t tell you, what was told to me was told in confidence” Nola said.



“Okay, but shouldn’t they work on finding Douglas?” Alex suggested.



“Yea but they’re in the evidence room right now” Nola said.



“Oh, yea” Alex agreed, rubbing his hands together with Nola’s hands.



“That’s warm” Nola said looking up at Alex, arms wide for a hug.



The two were in hug for a pretty long time. Each one making the other feel better, they smiled. Neither of the two let go for a few minutes until Alex said “Baby, back up.”



Nola backed up on the bed and waited to see what Alex was going to do. Alex leaned in for a kiss, he’d known she had a headache but he also knew she didn’t care. They sat there in that position for about a quarter of a minute when the evidence room door opened and out came Officer Amps and Donathan.



“Okay, Douglas is on his way here right now” Officer Amps told the two cellmates that weren’t paying attention or had even realized they were there.



“Oh” Alex said backing up quickly because he was surprised. “So, when is he getting here?”



“In a minute” Officer Amps said.



“Actually sooner, his car just pulled up” Donathan said with a grin.



The door to the station opened and in walked Douglas. “Douglas!” Donathan yelled at the top of his lungs, running over to hug Douglas. “I got your letter. I loved it and I do forgive you” Donathan added, looking Douglas in the eye.



“Okay, but can we not do this in front of everyone?” Douglas suggested, looking Donathan from head to toe, pointing out the fact that they were as close as Nola and Alex were a minute ago.



“Oh, yea sure” Donathan said, backing off.



“I’m so sorry for what I did” Douglas said, looking at Alex and Nola now.



“It’s okay” Nola said, placing her hand on Alex’s shoulder to notify him not to say anything.



“Yea, so I guess you all read the letter?” Douglas asked.



“Yea, we all know” Alex said in a smart attitude.



“Yea, I’m sorry” Douglas said apologetically and sorrowfully. “For everything” he added.



“Yea, well how long until we’re all out of this cell?” Alex asked looking at Officer Amps.



“Well, we have to clear this letter out with the court. So, by protocol, we have to keep you over night.”



“Okay, I guess one more night won’t be too hard” Alex said.



“Douglas, this way” Officer Amps said, leading Douglas to the cell beside Alex and Nola.



“Okay” Donathan said following the two.



“Why are you in here too?” Officer Amps asked Donathan.




“Because I helped him do it” Donathan told the officer.



“Okay, whatever” Officer Amps said. “I’ll be back; I’m going to take this letter to the court.”



Officer Amps left the station to turn in the letter. As he left, Nola looked over to the cell beside them to see Donathan and Douglas. Nothing was happening, they were all silent. No one said a word until Nola finally spoke. “How long have you been” Nola asked, getting cut off by Douglas. “A few months, why do you ask?”



“Oh, I was just wondering” Nola answered.



“yea, well ya’ll are the first to know” Donathan said lifting his hand into the air, it was holding Douglas’s.



Donathan grinned, and looked at Douglas. “What are we going to do now?” Donathan asked.



“Why did you lie to Officer Amps?” Douglas asked, looking straight at donathan.



“What do you mean?” Donathan asked.



“Well, we all know you didn’t help, you were supposed to but you didn’t so you don’t deserve to be here in this cell.” Douglas said, trying to help Donathan.



“Well, does it pain you that I want to be here with you?” Donathan asked.



“No it doesn’t but just because I’m going to jail for vandalism, attempt of murder, and who knows what else they will find on my record, doesn’t mean you need to get dragged along with me” Douglas said.



“But it’s what I want” Donathan said, trying to convince him to let him stay.



“But it’s not what you need. You need to leave me and get along with your life, I’ll only hurt you in the long run”



“So what are you saying?” Donathan aksed, crying..



“I am not suggesting we leave each other like that, no, but I do suggest that you not be dragged to jail with me” douglas said, finally having feelings and compassion for others.



“But…” Donathan said, but he couldn’t finish because Douglas wrapped his arms around him.



“It’ll be okay, I promise” Douglas said. “Alex and Nola can take good care of you, and ya’ll can visit every now and then.”



“Yea, but” Donathan said, pausing. Then he continued “You know there are other guys in prison, what if you, you know, meet someone else?”



“Donathan, I wouldn’t do that to you, no matter who it is, I will love you, I will remember you” Douglas said, beginning to cry himself.



“Really?” Donathan said, whipping away his own tears.



“Yes!” Douglas said. “Of course.”



“Douglas...” Donathan said, crying, this time, happy tears.



Douglas smirked, and then whipped Donathan’s tears away with his finger. “It’s going to be okay” Douglas assured him, hugging him once again.



Back in Alex and Nola’s cell, the two sat on the floor now, whispering.



“What are we going to do now?” Nola asked Alex, looking him straight in the eye.



“I truly don’t know, baby” Alex answered her.



“I love it when you call me that” Nola said, kissing Alex on the cheek.



“I love calling you that too, baby” Alex said, smirking.



Nola smiled, and then the door opened, and Officer Amps walked in and unlocked Alex and Nola’s cell. “Free to go” he said, as he opened the cell door and Alex and Nola slowly walked out.



“What about Donathan?” Douglas exclaimed.



“He said he helped you?” Officer Amps said.




“Well, I’m here to tell you, he didn’t help at all.”



“Okay, so I guess he is free too” Officer Amps said.



“But I want to be with you!” Donathan exclaimed.



“I know and I want you here to, trust me, I do. But this is the not the best place for you, like I told you earlier. Get on with life and come visit me, I love you” Douglas said, kissing him.



Douglas pushed Donathan out of the cell slowly after Officer Amps opened it. Donathan stood at the cell, staring at Douglas. “Bye” Douglas said.

Donathan waved at Douglas as they walked out the station. Alex opened the door for Donathan, knowing that he was upset. “Thanks” Donathan said as he got in the car. Alex got in the driver seat, Nola in the passenger seat.



“I guess we head home now?” Alex asked.



“Can I stay with ya’ll tonight?” Donathan asked, sniffling.



“Sure” Nola answered, giving Alex a look.



“Thanks so much” Donathan said.



Alex drove away from the station. Donathan didn’t put on his seatbelt, and so he laid down in the backseat. He began to cry, but in spite of the short ride home, he cried himself to sleep.

Nola woke up to her cell phone ringing loudly, and was not anywhere near anxious to answer. Knowing her mom was probably worried sick of her, she relieved herself of lousiness, and answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Nola! Oh my gosh! It’s you!” the voice called out from the cellular device.

“Mom?” Nola questioned, swiping her eyes from exhaustion.

“Dear! Where are you? Are you okay?”

“I’m okay, I’m with Alex” Nola sounded relieved.

“Alone?” her mom shouted.

“Don’t freak out mom, Donathan is here with us”

Alex began to wake up; he looked at Nola, rubbed his eyes, then pointed to her phone and said “Who’s that?”

Nola placed the phone to her neck in order for her mom to not hear them, and said “my mom”

“Oh,” Alex said, walking over to Nola. He took her phone and put it to his ear, then said “Hey Mrs. Nicole”

“Who’s this?” Mrs. Nicole asked.

“Alex”

“So you’re the boy my daughters been staying with”

Nola tapped Alex on the shoulder, and then snatched the phone from him so that she could talk to her mom. She looked at the phone and said “I’m so sorry Mom”

“It’s okay, I only called to let you know me and your dad are finally getting a divorce” Mrs. Nicole said, breaking this awful news to Nola.

“Only?!” Nola mocked her word because it wasn’t exactly something that made sense in bad news such as that.

“Yea, we’re holding court tomorrow, be there please? They’re going to decide whether to take our case, I want you to be there with me”

“What about Dad?”

“Baby, he cheated on me, he abused me, and you saw how much he yelled at me”

“He did what now?” Nola said, shocked. “When did he do that?”

“Baby, you’ve missed a lot, just please, make it to the courthouse tomorrow? Thanks, bye, I love you!”

“Okay mom, I love you too, bye” Nola ended the call, slamming her phone on the ground and pounding it with her fists. Alex reached over to wrap his arms around her to comfort her, but her anger took control and she punched him in the face.

Nola lunged forward to grab his hand because she had just realized what she’d done. “Oh my gosh, Alex, I’m so, SO sorry” she exclaimed.

It’s okay, I understand” Alex said, holding his nose, she’d caused his nose to bleed.

Alex’s nose was now bleeding, so Nola ran to get some tissue to cover it up. “You know ice works better right?” Alex reminded her.

“I know, I know” Nola replied sarcastically.

Nola came back with a tissue, a napkin, and two ice cubes. She put the two ice cubes in the napkin and placed it under his nose. Nola tilted Alex’s head back so the blood didn’t pour out so fast. She held her hand over the napkin, and the other held the back of his head so he wouldn’t back his head back too far. After it stopped bleeding, Nola whiped his face down with the tissue because of how cold and damp it was due to the frozen ice cubes.

Donathan woke up, and looked at Alex. Donathan sat up and stared, he couldn’t tell what had happened. “What happened?” Donathan asked.

Nola looked up at Alex’s face and could tell he didn’t want to say it, so she looked back to Donathan and replied “long story.”

“Well, what do we do now?” Donathan added, looking at Alex.

No reply from Alex so Nola stepped in and said “well, we have to go to court in the morning.”

“Wait, what? Court? Why?” Donathan questioned.

“Yea! Court! My parents, they are getting a divorce” Nola replies with an angry look, other than the sad melancholy look from earlier.

“Why mad?” Donathan asked once more.

“Wait what?”

“Why are you mad instead of sad?”

“I was sad at first, but now I’m just mad at both of them!” Nola replied, then added “she said he cheated, she said he abused her, and then reminded me of how many times they fight….They were horrible, you know that? They never got along, I don’t even know why they married and by the way my mom put it, this case could go a little big or out of control, it kind of….kind of…..scares me a little.”

Nola looked down and began to cry, remembering the night before when they were just in the town jail, beginning to wonder, what time it is that they have chosen to wake up at. She looked to the clock on the dresser; it read “21:36”, which is “9:36” in regular time.

“Dang! Its been almost twenty-four hours since we been here, why we slept for so long?” Nola exclaimed.

“I don’t know” Alex butted in, finally letting down the tissue covering his face.

“Whatever, we should probably get some sleep if we want to make your parents’ trial tomorrow right?” Donathan suggested.

“True, true” Nola agreed, and so they went to bed, Nola curled up with Alex and Donathan laying by himself a foot or two to the side.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nola woke up and stretched her arms wide and high, knocking down the clock from the dresser. By doing so, she triggered the alarm, which then woke both Alex and Donathan. All three looked at the clock and panicked as they realized the clock read “10:30.” Nola jumped up and screamed “We’re late!”

The three got ready and dressed really quick and got in the car to head to the courthouse.

They made it there just in time to hear the lawyers case to tell why the grand jury should take the case. They sat in the last pew in the back to quietly sit there and listen to the lawyer speak.

The lawyer stood in front of the room, the jury on the right side, and Nola’s parents on the left. The lawyer was a tall blonde female; she wore a gray skirt down to her knees, and a grey blouse, with a nametag that read “Gloria Nettles.”

Ms. Nettles began to speak, “I speak for the state of Mr. Edgar Shades, whom pleads non-guilty. His wife accuses him of adultery, and of abusive behavior. He does agree to have had sexual relations with a younger woman, named Chance Green, she sits in the front row, as a key witness to this case we bring before you. We want you to take our case, not to prove that Ms. Nicole Shades is lying, but to prove that my client has nothing to hide. So, I say, take this case, and reveal the truth of this mysterious relationship Ms. Shades claims to have lived in for too long. So, please, don’t think we are fooled.” Ms. Nettles gives Ms. Nicole an evil glare.

“Thank you Ms. Nettles, what about you, Mr. Brown?” the judge said, pointing to the man sitting next to Ms. Nicole.

The man stood up, he wore blue jeans, a brown belt, and a tucked in white collared shirt, with a navy blue corduroy jacket. He looked like and average man. His nametag read Andrew Brown.

Mr. Brown began to speak, “Well, as you’ve seen, Ms. Nettles claims that Mr. Shades is innocent, well lets go into depth with this situation. My client, Ms. Nicole Shades, has first-handedly seen him with the young woman known as Chance Green. She and her ex-husband have been in multiple fights, or arguments, if you please, per day this last few months. Well, I say you should take this case not because we want to prove that Mr. Shades is an abusive cheating scoundrel, but to prove that my client was mistreated beyond the boundary, and it is not okay. So, there you have it, I have no further words, your honor.”

“Okay, the grand jury will proceed to the back to consult their decision” the judge ordered, slamming his gabble on the podium.

The jury proceeded to the back, leaving everyone in suspense. Nola sat down with her jaw open, as wide as she could. She was shocked that her dad had cheated on her mom, especially with someone so young. Chance was very pretty and wore blue skinny jeans, a pink T-shirt, and a pink sweater. Chance looked as if she were around the age of nineteen or twenty, no older than twenty-two.

The jury was already back, it had only been five minutes. “Has the jury reached an answer?” the judge asked, it was obvious they had, but that’s protocol for you.

“Yes, your honor, we have” the head of the jury answered, then continued on, “we say that this case has enough evidence and thorough thought to go to court.”

“Okay, so it is settled, you all will meet back here tomorrow to start your trial, you are dismissed” the judge said, slamming his gabble once more.

“No way” Nola muttered.

“Yes way” Alex whispered to her, trying to make her laugh, but it didn’t work.

Ms. Nicole walked to the back, to meet her daughter. “Nola!” she shouted when she got close.

“Mom!” Nola yelled back, lunging at her mom to hug her. The two stood there hugging for a minute or two before Nola finally let go. “What happened?” Nola asked.

“I caught your dad with that girl! He was with her! In our own house! On the couch for a matter of fact!” Ms. Nicole replied.

“Really?” Nola questioned.

“Yes, really, and he abused me!”

“How so?”

“You sound like you don’t believe me” Ms. Nicole suggested, that her daughter didn’t believe this story of innocent harming.

“No, I just wasn’t here to know or see any of this” Nola argued.

“He would grab my arm and shove me into windows, and he locked me in a closet one time!” Ms. Nicole’s voice got louder as she went through the sentence.

“Oh my gosh!” Nola exclaimed.

“Yea, he’s crazy!”

“I can never see him doing that though”

“Well, I can because I saw it firsthand and it happened to me!”

“Don’t you think you could have some evidence that he abused you?” Alex suggested, trying to help.

“Well, I have already showed them all the bruises on my arm” Ms. Nicole informed him.

“Well, there has to be something else you can do” Donathan added.
“You’ve been quiet, why speak up now?” Nola asked Donathan.
“I don’t know, maybe I’m having a good day for my thoughts, that’s all.” Donathan answered the personal question.
“Okay, whatever, well, mom, what are you going to do tomorrow, don’t you now have a case to get ready for?” Nola asked her mother.
“Well, seeing my daughter is worth the time” Ms. Nicole said, but it was all she could get out before Mr. Brown got to them.
“Nicole, we have to get ready, we need to leave” Mr. Brown informed Ms. Nicole.
“Oh, okay, bye mom!” Nola exclaimed.
“But, my daughter…“ Ms. Nicole was cut off by her lawyer whispering in her ear.
“Okay, we must go” Mr. Brown commanded, and then leaving with Ms. Nicole by his side.
“What do you think he whispered to her?” Alex suggested to Nola, putting the question in her mind.
“I don’t know, I truly don’t, but I don’t intend on waiting until the end of the trial to find out who’s lying about what” Nola argued, looking mean and squinting her eyes.
Nola, Alex, and Donathan left the courthouse, went and got some lunch, and then headed to bed.
The next morning, they awoke to find that they were actually one hour early this time, so they got up and got ready to head the trial.
By the time they got there, the witnesses were all being sworn into truth. Again, Nola, Alex, and Donathan sat in the farthest back pew, just this time, they sat on the left side.
“I swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth” Chance said, with her hand on the bible.
“Proceed” the judge ordered.
“Ms. Green, do you remember last week, when you and Mr. Shades were on a date?” Ms. Nettles asked the witness.
“Yes, yes I do” Chance replied.
“Do you also remember where it is you ate?”
“At Olive Garden”
“And at what time was this date held?”
Ms. Nicole nudged Mr. Brown on the elbow, like she was queuing him for something.
“Objection! She’s just carrying on your honor!” Mr. Brown interrupted.
“Overruled, continue” the judge commanded, finding nothing wrong.
“Seven” Chance answered the question asked before interrupted.
“Night or in the morning?”
“Night, of course”
“Because Ms. Shades has said to have been locked in a closet by my Mr. Shades, at approximately eight, that night. Now, if he was on a date with you from seven to…how long did you say you two were out?”
“Actually, I spent the night at his place; the next morning was when she caught us on the couch”
“So, you don’t recall seeing Ms. Shades before that morning that you were caught?”
“No”
“Okay, now, do you recall the bill to your stay at Olive Garden?”
“I have no idea, he paid”
“Mr. Shades, how much do you recall spending at Olive Garden that night?” Ms. Nettles asked, looking back at Mr. Shades.
“About thirty dollars” Mr. Shades answered his attorney.
“And how much did you start out with?”
“A hundred, I remember only taking a hundred dollar bill”
“So, you should have had seventy dollars in your wallet when you woke up, correct?” Ms. Nettles asked her client, as if she were hinting something.
“I had only twenty dollars”
“Where did the other fifty go?”
“Nicole took it”
“So, let me get this straight, you go in with a hundred, spend thirty, have seventy left over. Correct?”
“Yes”
“And when you woke up the next morning, not only was your wife standing about you and your mistress, but fifty dollars was missing out of your wallet?”
“Yes”
“And you suppose your wife, whom had just caught you sleeping with another woman, took the money”
“Yes, it makes perfect sense”
“Thank you, I have no further questions.
Mr. Brown immediately stood up and argued, “Your honor, half the time she talked to her client instead of the witness”
“Do you want your cross examination or not?” the judge asked the attorney.
“Fine,” Mr. Brown walked over to Ms. Green at the stand, “Ms. Green, you do not deny being the mistress of this man?”
“No, I do not” Chance answered.
“So, you are proud to say that you helped this married man cheat on his wife”
“No, I am not, but I will surely not lie to the jury”
“Are you sure? Because how do we know that you aren’t the one who took the fifty dollars? Mr. Shades has just broken Ms. Shades’ heart, what good would it do to steal fifty dollars? You, on the other hand, couldn’t take the pressure of ruining this relationship; you took fifty dollars to rent a motel room for the night.”
“But I didn’t” Chance argued, then continued to say “I was with Edgar that whole day also, Nicole left the house not me, so why would I take the money?”
“I don’t know, maybe he wouldn’t let you buy something you really wanted? He only had seventy dollars left, of course, and he said he couldn’t afford the fifty dollar….fifty dollar…watch! We’ll say it’s a watch, so you take fifty dollars, go get a new watch, and he’ll never even notice”
“But I didn’t do that”
“Then, Ms. Green, would you be so kind to point out the new watch you are wearing!” Mr. Brown said, pointing at Chance’s wrist, holding it up in the air to show the jury.
“I…I…I…”
“You what? Didn’t expect me to notice? Or for him to notice?”
“No!”
“Well, guess what, I have no further questions, your honor.”
“So be it, bring in the next witness, Ms. Nicole Shades” the judge ordered.
“Ms. Shades, is it true that Mr. Shades abused you?” Mr. Brown asked Nicole.
“Yes”
“Is their any proof?”
“Yes, on my arms, look” Ms. Nicole said, rising up her sleeve to see the bruises all over her upper arm, the crowd gasped.
“Any other evidence, your honor” Ms. Nettles pressed forward.
“Is there?” the judge asked Ms. Nicole.
“Well, I could show you the footage at the bank, but I don’t know how we could get it”
“What do you mean?” Mr. Brown asked.
“Well, I don’t own the bank, so I can’t get the video”
“Okay, but the court can”
“We will get the videos later” the judge informed the attorneys.
Alex, Donathan, and Nola sat in the back, paying close attention to see whether her mom was lying or not, because personally, to Nola, her moms story didn’t work so well, so she was really leaning in and getting into it.
“Okay” Ms. Nettles and Mr. Brown both said.
“Any further questions?” the judge asked.
“No, your honor” Mr. Brown answered.
Ms. Nettles stepped forward, “What is your motive for taking the fifty dollars? Or alibi, I should say.”
“I can pay for myself, I’m divorced and I am not homeless yet, got to give me that much”
“But then what is your alibi?” Ms. Nettles wondered, then asked “how much does the rent in your motel cost?”
“I don’t know, why?”
“Well, we can look it up, on my laptop, you said you stayed where?”
“At Rico’s Lodge”
Ms. Nettles types in the words “Rico’s Lodge”, and then reads aloud what he got, “It says here that your weekly cost is forty nine, ninety-nine”
“So?”
“So? So that’s how much money was taken from my client”
“Don’t mean I took it”
“But he just got done cheating on you, and you caught him, maybe you felt like he needed to pay, literally.”
“Well…I….I…No!”
“What? Do we have this case down already? Are you the one hurting him, causing him to cheat, and causing this whole divorce?”
“How do you get that from just fifty dollars?”
“You get a lot from just fifty dollars my dear, face it, I know your motive and you’re just too scared to admit it.”
“No”
“So, you’re saying I’m lying? Like my client?”
“Yes, um, no, yes, umm…”
“Which is it?”
“Okay! Fine! I took the fifty! But I still never abused him!”
Ms. Nettles looks at her laptop and her eyebrow lifts up.
“Really? This tape has evidence to prove you lie.”
“What is it?” the judge asked, before they played it.
“It is the bank video.” Ms. Nettles answered him.
Ms. Nettles played the bank security camera video for the judge, it showed Ms. Nicole and Mr. Edgar at the bank, and he couldn’t withdraw money, so she beat the snot out of him, whether it was in private or not, others saw it and so did this camera.
“The jury has made its verdict, your honor!” the leader of the jury blurted out. “We’ve been talking, and it’s very obvious.”
“What’s the verdict?” the judge replied.
“We find Mr. Edgar Shades, guilty of adultery, not assault, and we find Ms. Nicole Shades, guilty of abusing her husband, of assaulting her husband in a public area, and of stealing fifty dollars from your ex-husband.”
The bailiff took Ms. Nicole out, her legs were flapping everywhere, she was nto intent on going to prison.

Nola sat in the back of the courtroom, shocked, at the guiltiness of her parents, and the fact that the trial lasted so short. Alex wrapped his arms around Nola, to comfort her because both of her parents are criminals in her book.

They left the courtroom, quite satisfied. “Well that was, quite, exhilarating” Donathan added to the silence. “And quick for that matter” he added.

“Leave her alone, her mom just went to prison and her dad is a lying cheater” Alex shoved Donathan back.

“Okay, Okay.” Donathan said, not trying to pick a fight.

Alex took Nola and Donathn to a rest stop near by, where they had couches and other comfortable furniture to sleep on for travelers. They lay down on the couch, Alex and Nola, to sleep. Donathan slept in the chair next to the couch, which he chose himself and argued was quite comfy.

Nola went to sleep, balling her eyes out, nothing that Alex could do to help.

In the middle of the night, Nola woke to Mr. Edgar sleeping in the only open chair. “Did you follow us?” Nola murmured.

He didn’t budge, but Nola wasn’t going to give up. She got up and walked over to her father, and shook him until he woke up.

“Whoa, what, who’s there?” Mr. Edgar freaked out. “Oh, it’s just you.”

“Yea, it’s me, what happened to you and mom? You two used to be really happy?” Nola asked her dad silently.

“Well, she became very violent, and so I found someone who isn’t violent to me, and you see where we all are now.”
“Well, yea I see where we are now, but I don’t like it” Nola said, and she began to cry.
“There, there baby, daddy’s here for you” Mr. Edgar said, wrapping his arm around her head, to save her crying from the view of the public.
“I miss mom, and I can’t believe she would of done that”
“If I had seen this coming I wouldn’t have married her, I love you baby” Mr. Edgar held Nola tightly, to save her from anything and to make her feel protected. Nola began to weep, and all she could think of now was her parents broken relationship, and how love can be broken. She didn’t want her and Alex to end that way. So as a result of this thought, Nola asked her dad to let go, so he did. Nola crawled over to Alex, picked up one of his lifeless arms, and wrapped it around her. Nola laid there, crying, and holding her loved one close.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alex woke up to Nola in his arms; he didn’t remember her being there when he went to sleep. “Baby?” he murmured.

“Yes?” Nola whispered back.

“Are you okay?”

Nola looked up at him, wrapped her arms around his head, then replied “No, I’m not.”

Alex wrapped his arms around her also, and then Mr. Edgar interrupted this romantic scene by saying “We need to go probably, I can take you to the house if you’d like?”

“Sure,” Nola said, letting go of Alex as her let go of her too.

“Donathan, where do you need to go?” Mr. Edgar asked him.

“Well, I think it’s about time I got home” Donathan replied.

“Okay, well, you two stay here, I’ll take him home” Mr. Edgar said, nudging Donathan that they are leaving now.

Mr. Edgar and Donathan left, leaving Alex and Nola alone.

Nola looked up at Alex, and kissed him. The two stood up after the kiss, and walked over to the drink machine, they were thirsty.

“What do you want?” Alex asked Nola.

“Just a water” she replied.

“Okay” Alex said putting in the dollar.

“Wait, why can’t I pay for my own drink?” Nola argued.

“What? Why?” Alex argued back.

“Because, I don’t like you spending so much money on me.”

“Well, the guy is supposed to pay”

“That’s so cliché, you guys are so, so, what’s the word?” Nola said, looking up, thinking.

“Awesome? Smart? Cute? Lovable?” Alex answered, trying to be funny.

“Ha…ha…ha…not funny” Nola sarcastically laughed.

“I know I’m funny” Alex boasted, “you don’t have to remind me.”

“Yea, keep telling yourself that” Nola looked at him and mocked him.

“You want your drink or not?” Alex said, reaching down to pick up the water, waving it in front of her face.

“Give me that!” Nola said, playing around.

Alex laughed, handing over the water. Nola walked back over to her chair, where she could see her dad’s car out the window. Mr. Edgar walked in the front door and shouted “you two ready to go home?”

“Yea” they both replied, walking towards Mr. Edgar, exiting the rest stop.

Mr. Edgar drove them to his house. “Why here?” Alex asked.

“Because, I think it’d be safer in many ways for you both to live under my roof, less money for you to pay, and we have rooms available” Mr. Edgar answered.

“That’s cool I guess” Alex said, hugging Nola now that they get to live together. “Um, Mr. Edgar, can I talk to you?” Alex asked.

“Sure” Mr. Edgar said, leading the way to his bedroom, where him and Alex can talk in private. “What is it?”

“Well, now that we’re living under the same roof, and now that you’re allowing me to stay here, I was wondering…” Alex couldn’t finish.

“Wondering what?”

“Could I…could I…… marry your daughter?” Alex said, looking Mr. Edgar in the face.
Mr. Edgar’s face didn’t strain, or show any emotion for that matter. “Yes,” Mr. Edgar said plainly.

“Oh…my…gosh! Thank you, so much” Alex said, hugging Mr. Edgar.

“No problem, she really loves you.”

Alex let go of Mr. Edgar, looked up at his face, and they both smiled. Alex walked out of the room and towards Nola. “So, how did that go?” Nola asked.

“Better than I expected” Alex answered, smiling.

“What’d you need to talk to him about?” Nola asked.

Mr. Edgar stood at the door to his bedroom, leaning on the wall, watching them. Alex kneeled down, and reached for his back pocket, bringing out a small case. Nola’s face told her father that this is what she really wanted; she smiled and was excited, obviously. Alex looked at her, opened the case, and asked “Will you marry me?”

Nola darted up, jumping up and down, screaming “YES! YES!”

Alex jumped up quick and hugged and kissed her, Mr. Edgar just stood and watched. Mr. Edgar began to smile, then went into his bedroom, and shut the door. Alex and Nola were so excited; they both ran into the kitchen to make lunch. The two sat at the kitchen table, so happy to be engaged, and eating their scrumptious meal. Ready for a marriage and a long life ahead, they never wasted a single moment.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 3 comments.


on Sep. 16 2011 at 3:23 pm
RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina
18 articles 17 photos 159 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

you can handle it just do small print xD i have 40 pieces of paper right here

 


Andie95 BRONZE said...
on Sep. 14 2011 at 4:59 am
Andie95 BRONZE, Varnville, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment
lol i printed it out last year for mrs rea and mrs williams, it was 47 pages, im not wasting all that paper again lol

on Sep. 13 2011 at 11:20 pm
RayBaytheDinosaur GOLD, Hampton, South Carolina
18 articles 17 photos 159 comments

Favorite Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Found you andie xP so not fair though theyre taking forever to publish my stuff lol but anyways im not gonna read your book, no offence but i cant stay focused reading stuff online =P if yu get it typed and printed let me know lol