Comatose | Teen Ink

Comatose

April 13, 2011
By xLoveM3Notx BRONZE, Rock Island, Illinois
More by this author
xLoveM3Notx BRONZE, Rock Island, Illinois
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The Causes of the event is usually more interesting then the event itself"


Author's note: I love to write and this story literally just came to me

Comatose
Chapter 1
Awake

It was like waking up from a deep sleep. The kind when all you need to make it perfect is stretch out all the sleep from your bones. Though when I went to stretch, I couldn’t move. Which obviously scared me. I couldn’t move which isn’t natural. I strained my ears to hear what was going on around me. Beep Beep Beep The rythematic Beep of what sounded out to be a heart machine. The kind that you hear on E.R televisions shows. Mumbled voices were in the background. I must be dreaming, yeah, that’s it makes scence  though i don't remember falling asleep, but I’ve fallen’ asleep without realizing it. “Wake up, Wake up.”  I told myself. I tried to move and could only wiggle my toes and fingers. “Dr. Ross?” i heard a women’s voice clear and crisp. Another woman answered, her voice deeper, “yes?” “Did you see that? She wiggled her toes.” they were talking about me? what was going on? I was starting to freak out. Im really in a hospital? What happened? I tried to rack my brain and remember but I couldn’t. “It was probably nerve movements.” what was she talking about? “But hasn’t it been a very long time since we’ve seen movement?” the first woman asked. “It’s been four years, I don’t think she’s coming out of this. The fact that the family is keeping her alive is empty hope if you ask me.” Keeping me alive? and it’s been four years, since what?” my head hurt. There was to much information flooding my mind. I had to show them I wasn’t dormant. I wiggled my toes again and grunted as loud as I could I couldn’t talk because there was something in my throat. I grunted until i could here myself and then i waited. there was silence. then “She’s awake.” The dr. said i grunted again to prove it to them. “This is amazing.” suddenly people were touching me. The doctor opened my eyes and shined a light in them I blinked and saw the room around me. it was a hospital room white and three people around me at first things were blurry but it cleared up. “Should we take the breathing tube out?” I looked down at the plastic device coming out of my mouth. I nodded and grunted and they told me to lay my head down and relax and cough as they take it out. I coughed and coughed and choked out “What’s going on?” my voice sounded different, not mine, foreign… matured even. “This is a amazing.” The doctor said again. She was massaging my arms and legs. “what are you doing?” “I’m rubbing the stiffness out of your limbs so you can move easier. your muscles are very weak. you haven’t fully moved in 4 years.” I go blank, numb and I’m so confused. “Please tell me what’s going on. I don’t remember anything. 4 years? I’m 12 but if i’ve been here for four years….” I trailed off. The doctor looked at me with sympathy, a sadness in her eyes. “That’s right you’re 16. Honey there was an accident 4 years ago, a car accident with your mom, little sister and you.” I listened just in disbelieve. she continued, ” The accident caused you to be in a coma we thought you were brain dead because you were completely unresponsive. Your mom was fine just had a broken leg and cuts and bruises. She refused to believe you were gone. she was filled with hope by toe jerks and finger twitches. she visited everyday and massaged your legs and arms and moved you around so you wouldn’t get bed sores even thought we did that daily anyways. as time went on she visited less but always funded your stay and sent you flowers.” I look to the side of me seeing fresh lilies in a crystal vase. “Your dad came too, but he was convinced it was time to let go. Don’t let that get to you he visited a lot at first too. But it hurt him to see you like that and thought… it was inhumane you leave you like this..” I took it all in my heart hurt with loss and close my eyes and shake my head trying to shake everything away. The doctor rubbed my back and said, “Darling you’re a miracle I’ve never seen anything like this and I know this is a lot for you to take in and let me tell you everything will be alright, by the way my name is doctor Ross, I’ve been your Dr. for these 4 years. and I always felt there was something about you. The odds were very against you but you’re here and even more brain damage seems to be nonexistence.” I nodded because I didn’t know what else to do. “My sister.” I blurted out. Dr. Ross looked away as if afraid to look at me. she sighed and looked at the ground. “She didn’t make it.” she whispered. That was it, i couldn’t take it I busted down and cried this was too much this couldn’t be real! where are the cameras? Dr. Ross hugged me held me like a mother hugs a child. and i hug back because i needed human contact. “Was..was it instant?” i blubbered out. Dr. Ross looked at me with a question in her expressions. “Oh.” she realized what i was asking, “yes she didn’t feel pain.” I nodded and teensy bit of pain melted down at least she didn’t hurt i thought to myself. Isabel was my sister’s name she was 8 years old. I was the one she looked up to. to her i was everything she wanted to be. i know because one time she told me. We were swinging on parks swings and she asked if i ever hated hanging out with her because her friend’s sister’s thought their lil siblings were annoying. “of course not, i love hanging with you.” i said honestly because i did. sure i need alone time sometimes but she respected that which made it so i didn’t mind hanging out with her when i felt like it. “I want to be like you when I grow up.” she smiled her angelic smile with i love most about her. “why?” i questioned. “Because your nice and everyone likes you.” “but,” i said,”I’m not perfect, nobody is and all you need is to be is you, you’re great the way you are.” I told her. “Really?” she asked stop swinging. “Cross my heart hope to die.” I laughed reciting our promising oath. “Thanks Julia.” she smiled to herself and continued swinging. That was a nice day. I sighed returning to reality. “Honey i need to do some movement test.” Dr. Ross’s voice was gentle i nodded my voice lost. “Can you lift your arms? legs?” After i could prove that I could she was satisfied. “Okay good, you have recovered completely, mentally, and so far physically. which again is amazing.” I was getting sick of the word amazing. “Now all you will probably need is physical therapy and I will get your mom on the phone she will be estactic.” The word mom brings a sad smile to my lips.
Dr. Ross left me and i sat in my bed trying to think about what happened, Though my minds is blank. I could not remember an accident. The last thing i remember Is baking cookies with isabel to keep her attention off mom and dad fighting upstairs. I remember putting her to bed and telling her i love her. It crushes me that i will never hear her voice again. I Start to cry again. A nurse came in and smiled at me sadly. “Are you okay sweetie? oh what question is that, i know very well…” she stopped in mid sentence. “Here’s a tissue, and now that you are awake we can take that feeding tube out, The other one  is an IV.” she nodded towards the one on my right. “Well you must be hungry maybe? you haven’t hard real food in awhile, I’ll get you anything you want.” “i want my sister back, can you do that?” I said without thinking. i was just so angry and sad. The nurse seemed to understand because all she said was “Sorry Dear.” and she left. Suddenly I’m tired now. How can I be tired? I’ve been sleeping for four years! I lay back but I’m afraid to close my eyes wondering if I’ll wake up again. I fall asleep looking at the flowers. I remembered how Isabel loved flowers. Her room was draped in flowers and plants. “It’s silent beauty, the best kind.” Isabel had explained to me.

I woke up to a nurse tapping my leg. “Julia dear your mother is here.” I open my eyes and see the face of the nurse and my mother. She had tears running down her face. My mother was an average size woman, 5” 6’ and slim, her hair was blonde but not naturally it was dyed her natural color was light brown. Her eyes green like mine, she look a lot older. Had it only been 4 years? though she looked more aged hen that the stress must have aged her.

She walked up to me and touched my cheek like she didn’t believe i was there. I smiled. still even after 4 years she smelled like baby powder. “Hi mama.” I whispered. A small gasp escaped her lips as if she was surprised i had spoken. “Julia-- darling you are awake. i hoped for so long you’d come back and you’re here.” more tears. “I want to go home.” I choked on my words. I sounded like a five year old and that’s he way i felt. Dr. Ross piped in, i didn’t notice her when she entered the room. “ You have to complete the rehab before that. sorry dear.” “how long will that take?” alarm rang in my mother’s voice. “ That is uncertain.” Dr. Ross explained, “It will take how ever long it takes for her body to regain it’s strength.” “ Is her body working?” my mother whisper as if she was afraid of the answer. Dr. Ross nodded, “Remarkably yes, all limbs can move and feel.” My mother nodded thoughtfully. I rolled my eyes. I felt weird being talked about like a science project. “ Can i have some time with my daughter?” Mom asked. Dr. Ross nodded and waved the nurse out, they closed the door behind them.

“I waited so long.” That was the first thing my mother said. “Sorry to keep you waiting.” I joked hoping to light up the mood. It backfired because mom’s smile dropped into a frown and wrinkles of worry appeared on her forehead. “Don’t be sorry it was my fault. I was the one driv--” tears ran down her face silently and she looked like she had been slapped. “I’m sorry.” she whimpered and put her hands to her face. “I don’t blame you mom.” which was true, it’s not like she caused the accident on purpose it was her fault. “And isabel wouldn’t either, we love you.” “Do you know about isabel?” She asked quietly. I nodded although I wish that i didn’t knew. Silence grew between us. “I your mother I should have protected you guys.” she looked down. “Mom it was a freak thing and you did know it was going to happen there’s nothing you would have done so stop blaming yourself, Isabel wouldn’t want that. she sighed like weight had been lifted off of her and she still looked sad but a new brightness shone in her eyes.

“Where’s dad?” I asked. and why isn’t he here i thought. “Oh Julia honey.. we got a divorce.” I always knew this day was coming, hearing about their divorce i mean. Mom and dad fought constantly. They tried not to do it around Isabel and me but our house was small and you could hear their fights threw walls. I always knew it was just a matter of time, so i wasn’t surprised. Mom picked up on this and asked “You knew didn’t you.” I nodded blankly taking everything in. “Julia your father and I... we loved you girls so much. It was each other e couldn’t stand. so he left, and i didn’t stop him. I fidgeted. “why didn’t he come see me?” “He moved to springfield, IL. He’s on his way but I couldn’t wait, I had to see you.” She reached over to hug me. “I brought you something.” She smile. “You’re 16 now and I need to make up for some birthdays, you’ve gone and grown up on me.” “I don’t feel 16. I feel like me.. before i mean. I feel 12.” “It might take some getting used to.” She said as she handed me a box with blue wrapping paper and a white bow. I opened it to find a purple mini laptop with my name inscribed in silver on the right hand corner on the cover. “Wow mom this is really beautiful! I thought i couldn’t have a laptop.” Mom and I had a huge fight over me getting on which ended with her calling me ungrateful and Me slamming my bed room door in her face. “Well you are 16 now and you deserve it.” I didn’t exactly know what she meant by ‘deserved’.
“Plus, you’re a writer and I know this beats scribbling on paper.” “Thanks mom” I smiled and ran my hand over the laptop. “There’s more! she said excitedly. The next box was small and rectangular I opened it to find a phone, at least I thought it was a phone. “What kind of phone is this ma?” “It’s an Iphone4 It’s the latest. A lot of new things came out while you were... gone.” I nodded amazed by the phone. What else had changed? flying cars? robots? I was 2007 when I was 12. So now it must be 2011. wow big change. “Mom this is all very nice.. but expensive.” “Don’t worry i told you they are make up birthday gifts. christmas too if that makes you feel better.” She handed me the last gifts. I opened them feeling guilty that she felt she needed to spoil me. the 3rd gift was accessories to my laptop and phone, like headphones and such. The last gift was an outfit. A baby pink tee and faded jeans that were new but looked old in a good way and new cowboy boots. I ride horses in my spare time and new boots are always welcomed. She also brought flip flops which suddenly made me aware that outside my window was summer. I smiled at the colors and promise of warmth. “I Loaded your phone with your playlist so you’d have something to listen to and yo can get wireless connection for you laptop here.” then she patted my leg and said, “Dear I am grateful for this time with you but i must get going. You’re mother is a busy woman now a days and later I have some people i want you to meet. I also loaded your phone with contacts but I didn’t give anyone your number because i don’t want them all bothering you at once. Though you may call them if you’d like, my number is there as well.” I nodded and she kissed my forehead and hugged me tightly. Dr. Ross met my mother in the hall they chatted and i notice when they finished Dr. Ross laid a hand on my mother’s shoulder and the glance shared between them was that of one shared by friends. My mother turned away and left and Dr. Ross did the same. I was left alone, my gifts strolled across my bed I sighed giving up the hope that this might be a dream.. or more like a nightmare i sat there staring out the window the window containing a portal to a world that I never knew.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.