Misunderstood | Teen Ink

Misunderstood

September 25, 2023
By pinneapple BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
More by this author
pinneapple BRONZE, Mesa, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Wake up to reality, nothing ever goes as planned in this accused world.


Author's note:

Something. 

The author's comments:

Notes

The man talking sounded pitiful. The light rain slipped off his shaven head as he spoke with a deep voice. 

   “We will remember what happened here, we will acknowledge what happened here, but most of all, we will …”

   I cut him off after that, not by yelling at him or causing a distraction, but by cutting off all sound around him, silencing the world. 

  I covered my ears with my hands, not wanting to hear anything else that the pitiful man was to say. I closed my eyes, focusing on everything but the man. I imagined the sound of the rain, descending down to the ground, I imagined the beats of someone's heart, pumping blood through their body, allowing them to live in a savage world. Last of all, I imagined my shallow breathing, focused on my breathing, inhaled, held it for seven seconds, and exhaled for seven seconds, I did this over a number of times. 

   Finally, I opened his eyes and uncovered my ears, my scraggly hands falling to my sides. I focused on these things so much, that I forgot what I was doing here or who I was until the man spoke again in his deep voice. Everything came back. 

   I mean everything, came back. The distant screams, the whispers, the heat of the flames licking at my face. The loud sound of small metal bits, leaving a cold barrel, entering the flesh of a human.

   I hated sounds, I hated the cold, I hated how the rain beat against the umbrella over my head. I hated everything. There was a lot of hate. It was hard for me to feel any other emotion but hate and regret. I wish I could feel other emotions, even sadness was okay for me. 

   The rain seemed to beat down harder to the ground now. Making a splash for every drop that landed. The pitiful shaved man kept talking in his deep voice, even though his voice happened to be drowned out by the rain, he kept talking, and talking and talking. It felt like I was out here for hours sitting on this plastic chair, sitting next to people I don’t know. So many faces.

   On my right was a young man, dressed in a black suit, he looked bored, I don’t blame him, I’m bored too. On my left was a old woman, dressed in a black dress with a black veil over her face. She must have noticed me looking because she gave a quick glance supported with a smile. Apparently she knew me when I was a baby, which meant she knew my mom. It only makes sense for her to be here. 

   I didn’t want to be here. I told them I didn’t want to be here but they insisted it was only right for me to attend. Attend my ass. I learned that word from Mr. Jackson. 

   The pitiful man stopped talking, which only meant one thing, I was finally able to leave. 

   “Thank you for your time.” he said,

   He left the podium with his umbrella and walked down the steps. The old woman next to me got up from her chair, tapping my shoulder, she said, 

“Come one, let’s go up.” 

   Up. What does that mean? Why did she say up.

She held her hand out for me to hold on to. I just stared at it. I wasn’t going to do something if I have no idea what that thing is. 

  “Come one, don’t be stubborn. She’s waiting for you.”

   I hesitated before grabbing her wrinkly cold hand. With my hand in hers, she led me away from the row of seats and behind the podium where the pitiful man was talking. That’s when I saw her face. Those soft brown eyes. That smile that shines like no other. Her long black hair. I stopped. I couldn’t go any further. No, I don’t want to. I can’t.

   The woman stopped as well, only because she was the one who was leading me. 

 “It’s okay, you can do this. She’s been waiting for you.” She whispered. 

   I pulled from her hands.

 “No. I don’t want to. You can’t make me do something I don’t want to do.” 

   My face was very stoned. Showing no expression. I stayed where I was, not wanting to go any further. The woman just sighed and looked at me with a sad face.

  “Very well, just stay right here for a minute, I’ll be right back.” 

   She left me where I was and slowly walked over to the picture. It was surrounded with all types of flowers, orchids, roses, daisies. They all made her picture seem even more sunshine-like. If it wasn’t for the occasion and the rainy weather, this scene would have been beautiful. The old lady crouched down to her knees in front of the picture with her head bowed down. I could hear the faint whispering, almost like she was praying. 

   I stood there watching her, wanting to leave. I looked up into the gloomy sky, the clouds moving at a snail's pace. The sun was nowhere to be seen. The only thing I saw of interest was a little sparrow soaring through the sky. Unbotherd by the gloomy weather. He just kept flying and flying as if he was flying through a clear sky with the sun shining down onto him. I blinked, and the sparrow was gone. Was it just a part of my imagination? I looked around the sky to find it but it was nowhere to be seen. It was as if it just vanished out of thin air.

   I looked back down and forward at the old lady to see if she was done. She was, she stood back up and made her way back to where I was. I looked into her face and saw something shiny come down her cheek. The tear made its way down and was wiped off from the old lady’s sleeve. She held her hand out again and I grabbed it without hesitation this time. It was warm. 

   As she led me away from the area, I looked back over my shoulder to see her face one more time again. Usually that smile of hers makes me smile, but not today. Instead, it made me hurt. 

   We walked kind of slowly, out of some gates and into some small building. I heard voices from inside and grew curious. 

  “Where are we going?” I asked.

She responded in her soft, shaky voice, “We're just going to meet some people.”

   Meet people. I didn’t really enjoy the idea of meeting people because everytime I met people, they would ask me questions that I didn’t want to answer.

   The doors of the small building were wide open emitting a bright light from inside. As we got closer, the voices grew a little louder. 

  “Maria. Hey Maria.” 

   I turned around and so did the old lady. Some old man was calling out into our direction. Maria. Who’s Maria?

   The old lady broke a smile across her face. “Josh! It’s so nice to see you.”

The man had silver hair all over his head. I didn’t see a single strand of black or any color of hair anywhere, it was just all gray. I guess that’s what happens to old people. He was dressed in a black suit with a white tie. He was tall, taller than anyone I've ever seen.

   “It feels like ages since I last saw you.” He says.

    There was something odd about the old man. He stood like a politician, proud and strong, yet his face soft and calm, like a river downstream. 

   “It's been 14 years.” The old woman replies. “14 years since we last saw each other, it’s strange how drastic events can bring people back together.”

    The old woman's smile faded into a sad frown. 

   “Let’s go inside Maria.” 

    He reached for her hand and she took it while motioning me to follow her into the building. 

    The atmosphere inside was heavy. People were talking, smiling, some frowning and some with no facial expression at all. There was food laid out on tables, food that didn’t really look like much since I wasn’t hungry. The lights shined down on everyone radiating their faces. Even with all of this going on, the air felt heavy, like an elephant was sitting on you, denying you the ability to move at all while crushing your bones. I didn’t like it.

    The old woman and man were greeted by many faces I didn’t know. Young faces, old faces, in between faces. Not a single one of them I knew. I don’t even know this old lady. The faces kept referring to the old lady as Maria, so after a few more calls to her, it was safe to assume her name was Maria. 

    We sat on a long curved couch, not a single cushion was unoccupied by someone's bottom. I got tired of sitting there and was feeling a little hungry. The food on the table meant nothing to me before I got here but now, it’s looking like some first place prize that I longly desire. Maria and Josh were still sitting on the couch next to each other with other people and talking up a storm. If it wasn’t for the occasion, it would have looked like a bunch of friends reuniting after a very long time. 

    I got up from the couch and walked over to the tables of food. The tables were set in the dining room, which was right next to the living room where all the faces were talking. The table presented food items like, baked ziti, potato casseroles, deviled eggs, fruit/vegetable trays, tiny sandwiches, and some cookies. I went for the cookies. 

    There were m&m cookies, chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies, and my personal favorite snickerdoodle cookies. I went to grab a cookie when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. There was a door in the dining room in the far back that opened to the outside. The door was slightly opened and I heard voices coming from the outside. The voices weren’t deep or sounded mature, they were voices that haven’t fully matured yet. Kid voices. I thought it weird that some kids were outside playing instead of in here with their parents. Usually at events like this, the mom or dad would keep their child with them or with someone older, but there they were, outside playing like nothing was happening. Like it was just another happy day. 

    Curiosity killed the cat, I walked over to the back of the dining room towards the cracked door. The voices grew louder. Inside they were muffled due to all the chit chat going on, but outside, they were loud and obnoxious. I opened the door and walked outside. 

    There were four kids. Three of them were dressed like everyone else here, dress suits, black ties, dress shoes, but one of them dressed differently than the others. He stood out more. 

    He had on a white t-shirt with Jesus on it, praying, and light coming from the back of him. His leg wear consisted of black jeans with little holes in them accompanied by white dirty vans on his feet. His hair was all messy and he had blood running down his nose. Why was blood running down his nose?

     Of course I was about to find out why as the other three boys hovered over him throwing punches and kicks to his stomach. As another boy was about to throw another punch, the white t-shirt boy, dodged, grabbed the attackers arm, brought the attacker close to him and hit him straight in the face. The attacker stumbled back holding his nose. 

    Another boy who had blonde hair pushed the white t-shirt down to the ground and started kicking him. The others joined in. The only reason why they stopped was because one of them happened to see me standing by the doorway, watching what was happening. He motioned for the other kids and pointed in my direction. One of them started to walk towards me. Usually, if I were to see a scene like this and someone from the scene started to walk towards me, I would have run away in fear. However, I don’t get that luxury anymore. I would love to be afraid right  now, but I don’t. Why would I with everything that I've seen already? 

   “Hey there, what are you doing out here? You're not allowed to be out here.” The blonde kid said. 

    He and the other boys looked older than me and the white t-shirt kid. I was 11 and the others looked to be around 13 or 14. Still an age difference. The blonde kid was taller than me. Not by a lot, but still taller than me. 

   “What are you guys doing?” I asked. 

    The blonde boy spoke like an innocent child. 

   “We're just playing a game.” He answered. But you can’t play because there’s already enough players.”

   “Doesn't really look like a game to me.”

    The blonde kid started to have a pissed tone when he answered me. 

   “Well, it is a game and you can’t play. Go back to your mommy and leave us alone prick.”

    The other kids started to chuckle. 

   “No.” I said. 

    The kid looked dumbfounded at me not obeying his orders. I'm not like these other kids who do what he says, probably because they’re scared of him. 

   “What do you mean no?”

   “I mean no. I don't want to leave because if I do, then I'm probably going to say something about the blood coming down his nose.” I pointed to the kid in the white t-shirt. 

    The blonde had a glint of fear in his eyes. I'm not really going to snitch on him but, I liked that glint of fear in his eyes. It was beautiful. 

   “Get him.” The blonde said. 

    The other kids obeyed him like a bunch of dogs and made their way over to me. I didn’t move so when they grabbed my arm, there wasn’t much restraint. 

   “So you think you can just threaten me and get away with it?” The blonde asked. 

    The other kid grabbed my arms and put them behind me, facing my front body towards the blonde kid. 

   “I wouldn't really call it threatening since your life isn't in danger.” 

    Now the blonde seemed even more pissed off. 

   “Smart ass.” 

    He threw a fist right into my gut. Pain coursed through my torso and stomach. It’s been a while since I felt pain. It’s been a while since I felt anything really. To be honest, I kinda liked this too. 

   “Say you're sorry and I'll let you go.” He said. 

   “Sorry, I’m not one of your mutts.” 

    Another strike hit me in the face this time, blood from my nose went flying. 

   “Hey!” The white t-shirt kid got up and ran towards me and the blonde kid. 

   “Leave him alone!” 

   “Stay out of this!” The blonde yelled. He motioned for the other kids to hold him down so he wouldn’t cause any more trouble. 

   “Now, I'm going to give you one more chance to say sorry or you're going to be sorry you didn’t.” 

    The blood ran down to my mouth, the taste of iron flooded my taste buds. Nice. 

   “Well?” He asked. 

    I took a short breath before facing him, and spat my blood in his face.”

   “Ugh!” He wiped the spit/blood off his face with his sleeve. 

    He threw another right hook to my face, and an uppercut to my gut again. 

   “Stop!” The white t-shirt yelled. 

    The blonde was about to throw another punch when one of his goonies said, “Wait.” The blonde stopped and looked over to some brown haired kid who looked a little overweight. 

   “I know this kid.”

   “You do?” The blonde asked. 

    He knows me?

   “Yeah, the old hag that died. The funeral for her and everything. That’s her kid.”

    Old hag. 

    The blonde turned to me.

   “Well isn’t that something. That b*tch is the reason why we're even here.”

    B*tch.

   “I could have been at home playing on my playstation, but that stupid sk*nk just had to die. It so happened that my mom and dad knew her.”

    Sk*nk.

   “She probably died because she didn’t want you anymore.”

    Everything boiled. 

   “Wittle baby doesn't have their mommy anymore?”

    My blood. 

   “Hah, hah, hah.”

    My mind. 

   “This kids a damn orphan, hah, hah.”

    I couldn’t take it. 

   “He probably doesn't even ha…” 

    Pow!

    I kicked the blonde in the crotch, bringing him down to the ground. The kid holding me was struck in fear so I pushed all my body weight down, unlocking my arms from his and striking him in the crotch as well with my elbow. I got up on my feet and saw the other kids coming towards me. Everything seemed slow. 

   Kid on my right. He threw a left hook but missed my head by inches. I grabbed his arm with my left arm, brought him to me and connected my right fist in his face. I felt something break with a crack. Another came from behind expecting to catch me by surprise, but I could hear him coming. I jumped back, knocking myself into him, throwing him off balance. At the same time, the fat kid ran towards me and hit me straight on the side of the face. My ears started ringing. 

    The kid behind me put his arm around my neck and tried to choke me. Now I was just getting hasty. I bit his arm, leaving a red covered bite mark. I threw my elbow back, striking him in the chin. The fat kid tried throwing another punch at me but I dove down and tackled him to the ground. My head throbbed from pain and anger. Pure hate. 

    I struck the kid in the face, another crack sounded in the air. Just as another punch was going his way, something hard hit me in the back. I rolled over in agony. The blonde kid stood over me with what looked like a metal pipe. How the hell did he get that?

    He swung the metal pipe towards my head like he was playing golf. I kicked his leg, leading him to miss. I pulled him to the ground and got on top of him. I snatched the pipe from his hands and threw it at the other kid who came running at me. He fell down with a loud, thunk, to his head. 

    I turned my attention back to the blonde, raised my fist and struck him square in the face. Another crack. Some weird type of energy rushed through my body.

     Adrenaline.

    The blonde’s face kept getting bloodier and bloodier with every punch that came towards his face. Blow after blow, I didn’t stop. Nothing in the world mattered except the atrocity of my actions. I just kept going. The only reason, and only one reason, on why I stopped, was because I was dragged off his body. 

    Faces. 

    The faces were everywhere. Including Maria and Josh. One of the faces had pulled me off of the blonde and kept me in his grip. My expression must have presented the hate inside of me because all the faces looked at me in fear. Maria had her hands over her mouth, Josh right next to her, shocked, and the faces. The faces gave a look that I've never seen before. It was like they’ve just witnessed a murder happen. 

   “My boy!” A female face called. 

    She ran towards the blonde who was laying on the floor, not moving. His nose was all out of place, blood covered every inch of his face. It looked like a nightmare. It looked horrible. It looked beautiful. 

   “What kind of monster are you!” The female face looked at me, screaming her head off.

   “You should be ashamed of yourself. What kind of kid smashed another kid's head in. Where is your mother! You need to be punished severely!”

   “Victoria, calm down, ple…” Josh stepped in trying to calm her down. 

   “Calm down? You want me to calm down! Look at my son!” She held her son up for everyone to see. His limp bloody body. 

   “No!” The white t-shirt kid emerged from the crowd. His mother reached out to try to catch him.

   “Santi!” She yelled.

    Santi. Not what I would have thought his name would be. I thought he was more of a diego. 

   “He saved me.”

   He stood in front of Victoria. 

   “These kids were beating me up, even your son.” He pointed at the blonde. Victoria looked shocked. As if her son would never do such a thing. 

   “He happened to come outside and saw them, and then they started to beat on him too. Then they said something about his mother, and he went crazy on them.”

    Victoria looked at me with disgust and hate. 

   “I don’t care what they said, he’s still responsible for what he did to my son!”

   “Victoria, stop, he's just a child.” Josh had said.

   “I dont care!”

    Maria now stepped in from the crowd of faces with a hard expression on her face. She stepped towards me.

   “What did they say?” She demanded. 

    I've never seen this on her before. Before, she seemed so hurt and scared. Like she was just a shy little girl. When she spoke, her voice was quiet and soft. Now, everything was stern and hard, serious. Even the way she stood was different. 

    She wiped the blood from my nose with a handkerchief she brought from her hand bag, “What did they say.” She demanded again. 

   “They were saying stuff about my mom. They called her names and I couldn’t let it happen.” 

    The anger boiled in my head again. 

   “Anyone who insults my mom or my family deserves to die. Rot in hell like the people who killed them.”

    Tears started rolling down my face, not tears of sadness, but tears of anger. Pure hatred. 

   “I don’t care who they are. I’ll kill them all. Every single one of them.”

    Maria pulled me into her arms. 

   “It’s okay.” She whispered. 

   “I want them back. I want them all back!” I yelled. 

   “I know.” She whispered again. 

   Maria looked back in the crowd of faces and at Victoria. I felt something wet hit my head. The clouds started crying, Maria started crying, and finally, what felt like an eternity since it happened, I started to cry.

   “You heard him.” Maria stated to the crowd. “Anyone who disrespects Elena or anyone else who died, deserves to rot in hell.” The clouds started crying even harder. 

    “Come on, let’s go home.” Maria turned me around and we started walking to the car she drove. 

   “Wait!” A familiar voice called. 

    The white t-shirt kid ran towards us, stopping us in our tracks. 

   “Thank you.” He said. “For saving me.” 

    I wouldn’t really call it saving but I guess it might be. He held his hand out for me to shake. 

   “Im Santi.” He said. 

    I took his hand and shook it. The blood of the blonde stained it red. At this point everything should be red. That’s how I saw my life now, stained in red. Not being able to get rid of it. I hated it. Why did they have to die? Why did those damned devils have to take everything? I wanted to just die like I should have with my family, but I was left alive. Being alive is worse than being dead. 

   I let go of his hand and turned around. 

   “You can’t go yet!” he yelled out after me.

    Who was this kid? Why was he so persistent in talking to me? I wish I yelled at this kid to leave me alone but I didn’t. Something was different about this kid from when I first saw him. The difference in clothes, the way he stood up for me. Something was off. It was like he didn’t care who I was or what I was. Anything was good enough for him to talk to. I wanted to figure it out. Who he was and why he was this way. 

    I turned around and asked, “Why not?” 

    Maria opened the driver's car door and stationed herself in it. Waiting for me to get in. 

   “Because.” He responded. “We're friends now.”

    That sparrow came back.

The author's comments:

NOTES

Joaquin. This was the name my mother gave me when I was born. In Spanish origin, Joaquin would mean “ God will judge” and believe me, God has judged. God has taken everything from me, my family, my friends, and my happiness. 

Everyone keeps telling me,

 “ God takes the ones he loves, God does things with a purpose”.

 God this, God that, well I'm sick of it. 

    If God is the person people make him out to be then why did he put me through hell and do nothing about it. 

    I've been good, I've tried my best to be a good saint as my mother would say  and not commit any sins. I won't let him be the course of my actions any longer, I won't let my mother and sister rest in heaven without any justice.

    He's right there, the second man responsible for everyone's death. The second man responsible for my family's death. I can’t kill god but I can kill this man. He bleeds just like me, he feels pain just like me, he breathes the same air just like me. 

    With anger, hate and revenge leading me to this moment, I tightly grab my dad’s Smith and Wesson from the dashboard of my car and attach my suppressor. The Gold and silver lining of the gun shine in the moonlight from my window. Outside, the man's two story house looms in the dark Thursday night. 

   “It’s time.” I tell myself.

    I open the door to my mustang and make my way towards the man's house in my black hoodie and white mask designed with red eye holes and a devious sharp smile. Before I go any further towards the house I make sure to scout out any cameras on the house. One, two, three, four cameras in the front. Aiming my gun towards the cameras, I pull the trigger and pick off the cameras one by one. 

“  Pew, pew, pew, pew.”

    The sound of the shots are silenced by the suppressor. 

    The glass of the cameras fell to the grass on the front porch. I make sure no one is watching and round my way towards the back of the house. Nearing the back gate, I hop over it and land on the soft grass. The backyard was surprisingly big but I paid no attention to any other details. 

I only had one thing on my mind. 

    I nudge at the back door finding it locked. Aiming my gun at the door handle, I shoot it off. The handle fell in my hands as I tossed it back behind me. I took a deep breath before slowly opening the door. I stick my head inside the house and find no one inside the room. I open the door all the way and walk inside. 

    It was dark.

    All the lights were turned off inside the room. Looking and feeling around on the wall for a light switch, I turn one on. I was in the living room. Two love seats were placed on my right with a widescreen T.V. on my left. On the ground were toys spread all over. They looked like toys that belonged to a 4 year old. 

    Carefully treading my way across the living room, I made sure not to step on any of the toys, a wall was the only thing dividing the rooms. As I started to enter the kitchen area, a picture frame caught the corner of my way. It was sitting in the middle of an island counter next to a bowl of fruit. The picture in the frame consisted of the man I came here to kill, holding a young boy in his arms. He looked no older than two. Next to the man was a beautiful woman holding his waist, who I assumed was his wife. Looking away from the picture, I felt a sense of dread coming down to me. Killing this man would mean taking him away from this family and leaving the young boy with no fatherly figure. Regret started to fill me, but not for long as my mom and sisters' faces materialized inside my head. 

    Without a second thought, the hatred and revenge came back into view. So what if they lost this man, their pain will be nothing compared to the pain i've felt. I watched everyone around me die, I held my mother in my own arms while the life of her soul left her body. Till this day, I can see her pained expression in my thoughts and dreams, wondering why I couldn’t do anything, hating the fact that I was left alive instead of being killed during the massacre. I hated myself for that. I loathed everything about me living on while everyone else was dead without fault of their own. 

    I quietly walked up the stairs leading into a loft area. Near the end of the loft was a small brown desk with papers spread all over it. On the right side of me was a door that was slightly open. Quietly walking over, I peered inside the room. 

    It was small with what looked like a king sized bed smack down in the middle. Laying in the bed sleeping unaware of who was in the room with them were two people, a man and a woman. The man was rather  large with an unattractive face, unaware of the fate that is in store for him. The woman next to the man was skinny with a face that you would not ever guess would be sleeping on the right side of this man. 

    I opened the door all the way, making a creaking noise in the process. Quietly walking over to the left side of the bed where the man lay in his slumber, I sat down on a black office chair that was stationed next to a mirror beside the bed.     The mirror reflected a tall individual wearing black clothing, a black hooded sweatshirt tucked into the individual's holed black pants with a belt in place, black combat boots, and the most distinguishable accessory yet, a white mask with a devious sharp smile assisted by the red eyed holes. 

    It was me. 

    I looked like something straight out of a horror movie. Like a killer on the loose hunting to kill. 

It didn’t matter, I didn’t care what I looked like. 

    My only priority was to achieve what I came here for in the first place. I stared at the man in front of me, he’s right there, one pull of the trigger and he would be no more. The temptation rose inside of me, but I wanted answers, I wanted him to know that the consequences for his sins were bound to come to him. He was bound to his reality of awaiting death the moment he called for the killings to happen. 

    I slowly pined the tip of my gun to his temple, bearing the gun down harder and harder until he stirred. The man opened his dark brown eyes and looked into mine with horror. 

   “ Shh, you don’t want to wake up your beautiful wife.” I whispered. 

    I pressed the tip of the gun harder into his temple. The man started to whimper in fear as I pushed the gun harder and harder. 

    I released the gun from his head but kept it in his direction.

   “Get up.” I demanded. 

    The man got up from his bed slowly, showing he didn’t want to have a cold metal bit enter his flesh. 

   “Please, don’t kill me. I have a family and I need to care for them.” He pleaded. 

    Family. 

    There's that word again.

    How can he speak of having a family when he dosen’t know what it means to have a family. When he killed innocent people just to get what he wanted. Innocent kids who had a whole future ahead of them, instantly destroyed in a matter of hours. He doesn't know what a family is. 

    I kept the gun pointing in his direction, fighting the urge to pop him right there and then. “Downstairs.” I said. “You think of yelling or doing anything to get people to wake up, and I'll end your life faster than you ended theirs.”

   “Please.” He whispered as he slowly went towards the bedroom door.

    Together we walked down the stairs with me behind him, and my gun on the back of his sweaty head. Implying if he did anything he wasn’t supposed to, lead would go in and out. 

   As we ended the stairs I motioned for him to go into the living room. 

   “Stay right there.” I said. I went to grab a chair from the dining room, which was right in front of the living room, kept my eyes and gun on him, and grabbed a chair and some duct tape I kept in my hoodie pocket. I walked over to the man where he continued to whimper and plead like a puppy. It was strange. The man who killed person after person with no mercy, is standing right in front of me, begging for mercy. 

    I set the chair down and told him to sit. He sat without hesitation, keeping his eyes on the barrel of my gun while he did so. I proceeded to take my duct tape and wrap it around him all over his body, stationing him to the chair, unable to move a single muscle. I added the final piece to my masterpiece and duct taped his mouth. 

   “This is how it’s going to go. I'm going to ask you some questions, and for every answer I don’t like, a bullet is going through you.”

    He nodded his sweaty head. 

   “First question. “Why. you killed so many people in such a matter of time and expected it to go under the rug. So, why. Why kill so many.”

    I grabbed a chair and sat it right in front of him. 

   “Thinking this answer through is the most wise decision for you right now.” I motioned the gun towards his leg.

   After three seconds I ripped off the tape from his mouth. 

   “Please, I don’t know what you're talking about, your mistaken, ple…” I cut him off.

   “Not the answer I was looking for.”

   “No! Please I d… Mmff mmff!” I placed the duct tape back to his mouth and aimed my gun towards his foot. The shot was quiet. But the man was not. Even though he had duct tape over his mouth, I could still hear the pain escape his mouth. Tears started to roll down his eyes. It was the most beautiful sight i've ever seen.

   “Let me tell you something.” I sat back down on the chair. “When you ordered the killings to happen, do you want to know who was among them.” I stomped over his bloody foot. 

   “My sister.”

    I pressed down. He started to scream while being muffled at the same time.

   “My mom.” 

    I pressed even harder. Making the blood flow out of his foot. 

   “And so many other people.”

    At this point my shoe was practically smashing his bare bloody foot. He let out another muffled cry of pain. 

   “I wanna know why.” I took my shoe off his foot and sat back down. “I wanna know what went through your head when you had your dogs kill so many.”

    Tears ran down the man's face like no other. 

   “Are you ready to tell me? Or should I put a bullet through your other foot? Choice is yours.” 

    I sat forward and ripped the tape off his mouth. 

   “Please! I don’t know anything, I swear.” 

    I stood up in annoyance and walked around the room. I don’t know what it was going to take to get this man to talk, but I won’t stop at anything. I waited too long for this. Too long for unanswered questions. 

   “Do you really want to say that right now?” I asked. “I don’t care what you say, but you will give me what I came for.” 

    I walked back towards the man who was crying even harder. 

   “Please.” He cried. “Don’t kill me!” 

    This man was pathetic. 

    I sat down in the chair that faced him, 

   “Do you want to know how I know it was you and not someone else? That this wasn’t some big misunderstanding and you were really just an innocent man.”

   “Please, I don’t know what your tal…”

   “Roses.” I stated.

    The man shut up. He stopped crying and looked at me in even more fear. 

   “Are the blood of nature's beauty.”

   “What are you trying to say?” He asked

    I looked at him dead in the eyes.

   “You know waht im trying to say.”

    I stared him down. 

   “Saint of Roses.” He whispered. 

    I lifted my eyebrow.

    I lifted my arms and pulled back my sleeves to represent the roses and vines binding my wrist like a bracelet. The mark of Rosed Saints. The same tattoo was imprinted on my other wrists.

   “Who are you!” He demanded. 

   “Im the person whos going to destroy your dreams. The clown hiding in your closet. Waiting for you to open it so I can pounce on you faster than a lion.”

    I kept my glare in his eyes.

   “Rosas.”  

    The man's face lighted with fear. 

   “You should be dead!” He yelled. “All of you should be dead! I ordered for the whole lot of you to be dead by sunrise! How could th…” He stopped talking midway and stared at me. 

   “I thought you didn't know anything.”

    The man looked at me in even more fear.

   “Your his boy. Mateo’s boy.”

   “Im his boy.” I replied. “But im not a boy anymore.”

   “What do you want.” He slightly yelled. 

    I could feel the fear in the air. It was airborne.

   “What do you want! Money, girls, power! I can get you anything, but if you kill me, they'll come for you. They’ll know you're alive and take everything from you. What I did was nothing compared to what they’ll do. They'll take everything!

   “Everything?” I got up from my chair. “You already did that.” 

    I aimed my gun towards his head. I was about to end it all when a voice behind me spoke out. 

   “John?”

    A female voice. Damn

    I turned around and saw the women in the picture standing at the edge of the stairs. His wife.

    The man yelled like he never did before. 

   “Lisa!” 

    Lisa. A pretty name for a pretty face.

   “Lisa! Help me! This guy is trying to kill me!” John yelled. 

    The woman looked scared. Like she didn’t know what to do. Should she help her husband and risk getting killed, or should she could just stand by and let her husband die. 

    I expected her to go for the first option. I wasn’t going to kill her if she did, but I was going to stop her in some way. The only person who was going to die today is this man.

   My gun was still aimed at his head. She better choose quick. 

   “Lisa! Don’t just fucking stand there! Get your ass over here and help me!” 

    She didn’t move. Why didn’t she move? Was she really just going to let her husband die like this. Is she just selfish for not dying herself? Questions ruled my head. 

    That’s when I noticed it. 

    That look. 

    It was the same look I saw every time I faced a mirror. The only difference was there were so many other things in her look. Sadness, happiness, fear, anger. Almost everything. 

   She looked at John, and whispered in her soft voice,

   “No.” 

    John was stunned, shocked, he stared at her. He knew what was going to happen. He should have known earlier, but now his slight hope of living, washed away. That’s when his son came down. 

    Lisa held her son back blocking his view. Tears rolled down her pink cheeks. 

   “Mommy, what's going on?” 

   “Nothing honey, just go back to bed.” Lisa responded. 

   “Henry!” The man yelled. “Henry, come here!” 

    The man resorted to his son now. What a pathetic move. 

   “Daddy?” Henry asked tiredley. 

   “Henry come here!” 

    Lisa moved in front of Henry.

   “Why is daddy yelling?” He asked. 

    Lisa continued to bock Henry from coming fully down the stairs. 

   “Because he stupid.” She said. “Because he deserves to rot in hell for everything he did.” 

    Tears made their way even more down her cheeks. 

   “Because I hate him.”

    John looked scared. He knew what was going to happen. Nobody was going to stop me from putting a bullet in his head. Nobody was going to let him live any longer. I, wasn't going to let him live any longer. 

   “Dont say that.” He whispered. “Don’t say that after everything I did for you!” Now he was yelling. 

    All of this happening while I stand here, barrel pointed at his head. I need to end this right now. 

    I lifted the gun even more to aim it directly at his head. Took my suppressor off. I wanted the whole world to hear. I wanted God to hear.

   “No!” He yelled. 

   Finally.

   “You dont know what you’ll start!”

    Peace.

   “You’ll start a war!”

    Justice.

   “Stop! Don’t do it!”

    The whispers grew loud in my head.

   “Save me!”

   “Help me!”

   “Don’t leave me here!”

   “Poor kid.”

   “Lost everything.”

   “Go.”

    That last whisper. That was everything to me. 

   “We’ll be together again.” 

    It was everything. 

   “Joaquin”

    Everything.

   “Look at me”

    Why?

   “Your everything to me”

    Why?

   “I love you.”

    Why!?

    BANG!!



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.