Wake Up | Teen Ink

Wake Up

By psterner22 BRONZE, Ortonville, Michigan
psterner22 BRONZE, Ortonville, Michigan

“How about this one Spencer?”

The sun illuminated the young girl, shining on her golden brown eyes, her long brown hair swayed with her dress as she turned to the boy revealing a bright yellow marigold. She held it close to him so that he could examine her new found treasure. Spencer looked up at the girl dumbfounded in awe,

“You’re beautiful Calliope” the boy whispered.

“What was that?” Calliope asked looking up at Spencer to see him blush, the sun made his hazel eyes glisten and his dark shaggy hair shine. Calliope returned her attention to the assortment of flowers in the garden they were standing in.

“Oh- I uh- said they’re beautiful, Calli” he quickly replied, still blushing and looking away in fear of her stare, she giggled with a soft like chuckle at the nickname he gave her. “Your mom will love it!” He continued to smile and smell the relaxing scent of the flowers as he gently picked them and placed them in a light brown wicker basket.

Calliope giggled tenderly and smiled to herself while picking through the flowers. About an hour later, still rummaging through the flowers, Calliope hummed a tune to a song and naturally Spencer hummed with her while they collected the most pristine flowers for their mom’s. The air around them was therapeutic, it was very serene. A moment of their lives that, if it were possible, they would turn it into a candle and smell its delicate aroma forever.

Calliope and Spencer’s moms are very close friends, who especially appreciate spending mother’s day together. The kids are a year apart in age, but they grew up together making them inevitable best friends. Calliope had an inclination for Spencer, they were very young but everyone could see how much they cared about each other and how much they meant to each other, Spencer loved Calliope.

The two kids enjoyed playing together in the garden behind Calliope’s old house when they were young, it was well kept and secluded, there wasn’t another neighbor for miles it was just peaceful quiet land. The house stood two stories tall, made of wood, to some it was creepy and scary, but to Calliope Fernweh it was home. The large garden behind the house was so full of life containing a colossal collection of strange flowers and foods. It was a sight for sore eyes, especially while Calliope stood flawlessly in front of her best friend Spencer Grey, her toothy grin melted his young heart. 

Spencer, out of a surge of confidence, grabbed Calliope’s smaller hand and spoke shyly unsure if she was comfortable with the random act, “I’ll race you to the house!”

Calliope smiled back confidently, keeping his hazel eyed gaze, still holding Spencer’s hand and lightly squeezing tighter for reassurance, “You’re on!” hesitantly letting go of each other's hands, the two ran to the house together making it the last time they would run to that house for a long time. 

The Fernweh’s deemed the house too dangerous for children so they decided to move to a much safer home, a home in the same neighborhood as their family friends the Grey’s. The two family’s adored Calliope and Spencer’s friendship and would’ve been torn if they had to take it from them, therefore making their decision to move, an easier one. 

“Spencer Grey!” Calliope, now a teenager, yelled playfully while getting out of a small car “Don’t tell me you don’t recognize this place!?” The two stood next to each other looking up at the vacant rustic house from the driveway, Spencer looked clueless. 

“Calli we’re in the middle of nowhere looking at a run down, broken, old house with itchy tall grass covering everything. Can you give me any clues?”

Calliope confidently grabbed the much taller boy's hand and grinned while looking up into his confused eyes, “I’ll race you to the house!” and before giving Spencer the chance to realize where he was, he found himself running with his best friend trying to catch his breath before finally remembering where he was.

When they came to a stop he gasped, “This is where we grew up!” His eyes gleamed in the heartwarming moment.

He is so cute Calliope thought to herself, He looks like a little kid after running into a candy store, it’s so adorable. “Now you remember,” she said sarcastically “I wanted to relive some of my favorite memories with you, especially before we both leave for college.” the mood turned somber.

Spencer stared at her, without making a sound, his eyes spoke to her with love.

Calliope snickered, “What are you looking at?” 

Spencer was always unable to express how perfect she was to him. How her blemishes made her face a perfect rosey color, how her scattered spots of acne reminded him of strawberries. 

“Pure beauty” he said confidently.

Calliope looked up at him, smiled, and kissed him on the cheek.

“So, do you want to go to the garden first?” Spencer looked back down at her and asked.

“Oh my God,” she takes a deep breath “Do you think the garden is still there!?”

“We better find out.” Without hesitating he ran towards the back of the house, still holding Calliope’s hand, taking her with him as they explored their old memories.

Calliope had her hand on her chest as she was catching her breath, she finally looked up to catch a glimpse of what was before her, “Spence,” she lightly tapped his arm while teary eyed “It’s- it’s so gorgeous, it’s almost exactly how I remember!”

Spencer was shocked at the sight of the garden, the colors were so lively even after all those years. There were bright new and old flowers that stood overgrown, tall, and proud showing memories of the past, leaving the two breathless. It didn’t feel real.

Spencer hugged and held her from behind kissing her on the cheek. He whispered in her ear, “It’s almost as perfect as you,” 

Calliope laughed light heartedly wiping away the tears “That was so corny!”

He smiled innocently “It was good though right?” He chuckled, still holding her resting his chin on her shoulder.

“Yes,” Calliope laughed. “It was great” she turned her head and kissed him on the cheek making him blush.  

Even though they’ve been together for so many years they still managed to make each other flustered, “H-here,” Spencer stuttered, he reached down picking an orange lily, placing it in her hair. He paused for a moment to take it all in, the most perfect girl to him, standing in a garden of memories “You’re beautiful Calliope”.

“You’re giving me deja vu right now” She looked into his eyes and flashed him a sweet smile, “I want to capture this moment, smile!” 

She pulled a light pink polaroid camera out of her purse and posed by kissing him on the cheek while he smiled, leaving the old house in the background of their sweet picture. After the camera clicked and the light flashed she received her picture from the camera reaching into her purse again retrieving a black marker. She wrote “West Virginia, May 1985. Memories!” on the back of the picture, she shook it for a while, waiting for the image to develop. It’s perfect!

“Do you think it’s safe to go into the house?” she questioned,

“I don’t see why not, I just wish we bought a flashlight, it’s getting pretty late.”

“You’re right…” she replied with a devious grin “That’s why I brought candles!”

“Calliope Fernweh, you adorable genius!” 

He kissed her forehead out of excitement while Calliope pulled a small white unscented candle and a boxy bronze metal lighter out of her purse to show him, quickly putting them back for later use. After enjoying the peaceful view, the two agreed to see the inside of the house, questioning if it would still match their memories. Spencer and Calliope walked to the porch on the back of the house and peered through the thick dark grey dust infested window to see what was inside.

“Do you see anything?” Spencer asked, attempting to look over her shoulder.

Her hands made the shape of a ‘c’ by both of her eyes as she lightly pressed them against the window taking a look at what was inside,

“It’s completely empty, I can only see the staircase... and a lot of dust… and cobwebs” She shivered at the thought.

Spencer grabbed the rusty door handle and turned while slowly creeping it forward, afraid of a jump scare. It wasn’t locked. They poked their heads through the doorway checking left and right,

“Coast is clear!” Spencer walks in, watching his step to avoid any loose floor boards. They walked together scoping out their surroundings, the floorboards creaking as they smelled the moldy air letting in any loose particles in the air enter their noses leaving them with the feeling of needing to sneeze.

“It’s exactly how we left it, besides the smell and the fluffy dust. I really miss this place” Calliope said while examining what used to be the living room.

“It’s so empty, maybe-” Spencer hesitated while Calliope gave him a concerned, yet curious look, he continued after taking a deep breath, “Maybe we could fix it and make it a home again, s-some day?”

Calliope gave him a big smile while focusing all of her attention on him and his words “Spence, would you want to do that with me!? We could rebuild this place together!” She grew excited and grabbed his hand at the idea.

“I was trying to ask you, but I guess you beat me to it,” he chuckled. “I would love to, my wish will finally come true!” His body relaxed while bringing Calliope into a hug. Calliope had no clue what “wish” he was talking about but she decided not to question it. Spencer gave her a tender kiss on her lips releasing her from their hug, after his worries were cleared away from her idea. 

“It’s starting to get hard to see in here. Can you light that candle?” Spencer asked,

“Yeah it’s getting pretty dark, we should check out the rest of the place and get going” Calliope lit the small white candle, placed the dented cold lighter back in her purse, and continued creaking around.

They stood next to the stairs catching a glimpse of the odd texture on the floor, the flooring was covered in a cluster of scratches in one spot, it was very out of place.

“Do you remember what that’s from Spence?” Calliope asked while she pointed.

“How could I forget? On my tenth birthday I knocked over your mom’s favorite vase and you helped me from getting in trouble” He smiled.

After talking about their memories in each room of the first floor Calliope asks, “Do you think it’s safe to look upstairs? I want to see my old room”. She looked up the darkened staircase, waiting for an answer.

“I think so, but let's be cautious when we get up there, I can’t have you falling through the floor” He responded, also looking upwards. “Leave your stuff down here, just in case”

Calliope followed his instructions and placed her things by the base of the stairs. The nervous teens grabbed each other’s hands, their senses felt sharpened, taking each step slower than the last. They safely reached the top, letting the memories come back to them, carefully walking into Calliope’s old room staring out the bay window. The room wasn’t too big nor too small, it was perfect. The setting sun shone directly into the room through the large window that was directly above the garden in the backyard, some would say it’s the best view in the house.

“Oh my gosh Spence do you remember when-” Spencer lifted his hand while looking down trying to focus on something, asking Calliope without talking, to stop speaking. Which she did. Calliope tried hard to figure out what he was waiting for, but to no effort, she was left clueless.

She spoke softly so as to not distract him, “Spence, what's wrong?”   

“Calli, do you smell that?” Spencer asked with worry, Calliope stood very still and took a deep breath through her nose. It smells off, like… smoke? 

Just as fast as they smelled the air, a huge cloud of black smoke reached its way up the stairs, making its odor even more intense. The couple stood close to each other while thinking of any idea that could explain what was happening, tears started forming in Calliope’s eyes as she slowly realized her mistake.

“Calli, I need you to focus!” Spencer grabbed her shoulders to get her to look directly at him, “What did you do with the candle?” He said with a stern, but also calm, voice.

Calliope begins to sweat as the tears fall down her face, “Spence- I- I left it d-downstairs” She trailed off as she began to sob, “Spencer I’m so sorry, I swear, I thought I blew it out!” she cried.

“Calliope look at me, this was an accident okay? We can get out of this,” He looked around the room hoping for an answer, but while he did a quick flash of orange, yellow, and red made its way up the stairs leaving them trapped. Spencer quickly slammed the door shut while returning back to Calliope. Their fears were coming true.

“Okay- sh*t uhm, alright let’s think. We need to get out of here but-” He worriedly looked around, eventually focusing his attention to the large window. In other circumstances the scenery would’ve been so magical, if only everything out there knew what was happening in the house. His eyes turned even sadder than they were.               

Spencer held back the tears in his eyes, trying to be strong while saying his next few words, “Calliope I love you. I love you so much and I’m going to need you to trust me okay?”

“Spencer I love you too-” and without letting her finish her sentence he went behind her and wrapped his arms tightly around her, trapping her, making it nearly impossible to escape from his grasp. The back of her head was touching his chest, she struggled to break free from his tight hold,

“Spencer what are you doing!? Stop, please! There has to be another way, just stop!” Calliope squirmed in his embrace, her body was tense with fear, afraid she knew what he was thinking.

Spencer let the tears that were forming in his eyes fall, he smiled while saying his last five words, “I love you so much!” And with that Calliope’s fear came true, Spencer forcefully slammed against the window behind them, breaking the glass and falling down out of the two story house.

Spencer held Calliope as close as possible making sure she stayed on top of him, she screamed loud then her voice went silent, landing in the garden that was once so far below them. On impact, his arms immediately dropped letting her go as they both stayed there. Calliope slowly rolled out of his arms, laying in the garden.

Calliope slowly opened her tear filled eyes that were clenched shut, watching as the house burned to the ground. She sat up making her shaky hands cup Spencer’s face beginning to cry even harder, “Spencer?” She whispered. She kneeled close to him, “Spencer! Spencer wake up! Please, please wake up!” She hit his chest as she yelled. Calliope wiped the right side of her face with the back of her hand noticing blood after she looked down at her hand, the glass must’ve cut her face as they fell.

He looked so peaceful, surrounded by thistles, marigolds, and a number of colorful flowers circling the two of them, like when they were kids. Other than a few cuts on his face, you would think this was a set up for a photoshoot. All the young girl could do at that moment was cry.

Calliopes' aged hand wiped the tear off the right side of her face, grazing over the scar she got from the incident when she was 17, and placed a single marigold in an overgrown dull garden. 

“It’s been 5 years, I still can’t forgive myself for what I did. I’m so sorry”. Calliope said with a breathy whisper.

She sat in the exact spot where Spencer took his last breath, her mind filled with so many memories they had together but only one stook out. Spencer’s tenth birthday. 

Calliope began to cry hard. her heart was full of regret and sadness, “I was supposed to spend the rest of my life with you and then I realized, you spent the rest of your life… with me” she took a deep shaky breath, taking a long hard sip of a liquid in a brown glass bottle, sighed, and chuckled, “It’s funny because everything we’ve been through together started and ended here, in our garden”.

From the front porch I could see the silhouette of my mother opening the door to yell to us, “Kids! Time to come back in, it’s too cold out here!”

“Coming mom!” I yelled back in response. 

I looked up at the dark sky as thousands of snowflakes fell, slowly but surely making their way closer to me and everything else beneath them, making me flinch when a few landed on my eyelashes. My eyelids were slightly ajar, making me catch a glimpse of Spencer staring at me, I didn’t say anything I decided to let him stare a little longer before breaking the silence,

“It’s getting late we should go back inside” I reached my hand out to him while staring back into his glistening eyes. Spencer grabbed my hand while brushing the snow off of his loud snow pants, afterwards, he intertwined our fingers and walked back to the house together, joy was written all over our faces that day.

The warmth quickly hit our cold red faces, it wasn’t painful but it almost hurt from how cold we were. We could hear both of our families in the living room talking over the loud television, they were all laughing unaware that we were even outside, but we didn’t mind. 

My mom welcomed us inside from the kitchen, “Hey kiddos, dinner is almost ready! Get the snow off your feet then go wash your hands, and help me set the table okay!?”

“Yes ma’am” Spencer replied cheerfully, rushing to probably beat me to the bathroom. I was still unzipping my boots when suddenly Spencer slipped on the half removed pant leg of his snow pants, accidentally crashing into a small wooden table with a single flower vase and breaking it. Dirt, flowers, and glass fell onto the floor leaving a bunch of scratches and marks, as I ran to his aid. Thankfully the family in the living room didn’t seem to hear us, but my mom on the other hand. 

“Spencer, are you okay!?” I say in a hushed whisper.

Spencer looked scared but that could’ve been from the fact that the wind was taken out of him, and also the shock from what happened, he was stunned and took a moment before he spoke just as something else caught my attention.

I began to hear my mom's creaking footsteps coming closer from the kitchen, so in one swift motion I grabbed Spencer’s shaky arm pulling him off the floor and quickly sat in the same position he was in before I helped him.

My mom peered around the corner around the stairs and looked down at the two of us, and the mess that was surrounding me, “Calliope what on Earth happened, darling I told you to clean off your feet!” She gasped as she realized what the broken glass was from “Calliope! My lord child, that was my favorite vase, my mother gave me that vase Calli” My mother said in disappointment. 

“I’m sorry mama I was careless, I’ll clean it up I promise” I looked at her with sadness in my eyes, although it wasn’t my fault I still felt bad that it happened.

“Okay darling,” she sighed “you just be careful with that glass now” and she walked back to the kitchen.

Spencer helped me to my feet, “Why did you do that Calli?” 

We walked to the bathroom together and I replied “I didn’t want you to get in trouble, that was my mom’s favorite vase and I didn’t want her to be mad at you” 

Spencer stopped and turned to look at me, he quickly wrapped his arms around my neck and rested his head on my shoulder sniffling softly. He whispered into my ear “You didn’t have to do that”.

“I know,” I said while hugging him back  “I just wanted to”.

We stayed like that for a second longer until we eventually made our way to the bathroom to wash our hands. Spencer walked into the kitchen to help my mom, and I went to the closet by the front door and grabbed a broom to clean up the mess by the stairs. I took my time making sure I was gentle with the glass pieces. 

Shortly after I finished cleaning I joined them in the kitchen. There was so much food in the kitchen, the smells were so delicious and intense. You could smell the sweet chocolate cake baking in the oven, while also smelling the savory pasta sauce cooking on the stove. The kitchen felt so warm and safe I remember feeling so happy and hungry that day, it was such a good day.

“Hey hunny, were you able to clean everything up?” My mom asked while keeping her attention on the sauce she was making,

“Yes mama I got everything, is there anything I can help with here?”

My mom glanced back at me to answer, “Actually yes there is darling, do you mind helping Spencer finish up with the table?” 

“Yeah sure thing!” I grabbed some napkins from a drawer and placed them carefully next to each plate, making sure each napkin was as perfectly placed as the last. I watched Spencer as he placed the forks and knives as carefully as I placed the napkins, with what caution we both used to make sure it looked like the perfect tables in the commercials. 

Once Spencer finished setting the table all nice and neat he asked me, “Calli, do you think this looks good enough?”

I looked at the table then I looked at him with honesty in my eyes, “Of course Spencer, it looks perfect! Everyone is going to think it looks great once they come in here to eat” I replied.

“Speaking of which, do you two mind gathering everybody in here to tell them dinner is ready? I just have to get this food in some serving bowls and set them on the table,” my mom said while she put all the food in separate dishes.

“We don’t mind at all, Come on Calli!” Spencer said as he grabbed my arm, directing me to where our families were, “dinner is ready, everybody come to the dining room!” He yelled, One by one each family member, still continuing their conversations and laughing, made their way to the dining room. Aunts, uncles, cousins, my dad, and his mom followed us to the big table that had enough seats for everyone.

We all sat at the long table together, everyone reached for the large assortment of food in the middle, serving themselves and still chatting. I sat next to Spencer at the head of the table, I don’t remember what we talked about but I remember that it made me smile. Eventually everyone simmered down and engaged with each other instead of just the one or two people around us.

“So Spencer, how's school going for you? Are you getting into sports?” My dad asked.

“It’s great, Calli’s in my class so it’s pretty fun. I’ve been playing football and now I’m starting to swim!” 

My aunt chimed in “Oh how wonderful Spencer, that sounds like fun, I’m so glad you guys have a class together!” 

My dad got so excited at the thought of Spencer playing football, “I had no clue you were interested in football Spencer! You should’ve told me sooner, the next time I get work off I’ll get us a football and take you out back, I’ll teach you a few tricks!”

“Bob, you know he doesn’t come here for football,” my mom said jokingly, lightly tapping my dad's shoulder with the back of her hand. 

“Anita stop it, you're going to embarrass them!” Spencer's aunt chuckled.

Spencer and I just sat there giggling, neither of us really cared about what they were saying, of course most of the things they said were true. We were so caught up in our own world we were left unbothered by their strange comments or remarks, those were such wonderful memories. They were my favorite.

“It’s okay, and I’d love to learn some new things from you Mr. Fernweh!” Spencer said through his outburst of laughter.

Everyone at the table was smiling, “That’s great kiddo too bad your aunt and I don’t live closer to you guys, I wouldn’t mind teaching you and Bob how to play a real game!” Spencer’s uncle laughed with a harsh chuckle, I found it funny how he laughed at his own jokes.

My dad started laughing harder, “Can it Leroy! You’re still mad I kicked your ass that one time!” 

“Hey! Language!” My mom said sternly to my dad.

The whole table began to laugh all together, like before, we split up into our own side conversations while we finished eating. When dinner was finished everyone stayed at the table while my mom finished frosting the cake, every so often I’d see her change piping bags for a new color of frosting on the cake. 

“Shoot, does anyone have a match or a lighter?” My mom asked, looking at everyone at the table.

“Yeah I’ve got one aunt Anita,” my cousin pulled a boxy silver lighter from out of her purse and handed it to my mom.

“Thank you so much dear!” my mom smiled as she received the lighter.

My mom lit the candles on the chocolate goodness and held the cake with two hands as she carefully walked closer to Spencer as everyone began to sing “Happy Birthday”. Spencer glanced back and forth between me and the desert, which said “Happy Tenth Birthday Spencer!!” on it in purple and blue cursive letters, and sat patiently with a wide smile.

The yellow and orange flames from the melting candles were quickly extinguished by Spencer once the song ended, he had a huge grin plastered on his face, he looked so dorky, it was adorable. The whole table clapped and cheered like it was the greatest thing they’ve ever seen, “double digits” was the craziest thing to live up to at the time, probably the greatest thing to achieve as a child. What a strange concept. 

“What did you wish for, Spence?”

Spencer thought hard for a moment before he responded to me, “If I tell you then my wish won’t come true!” he exclaimed. 

I giggled, but I was sure he would tell me eventually. My mom cut into the delicious chocolate cake she made, giving Spencer the first piece. She started handing out the rest to whoever wanted one.

I don’t remember too much of what happened afterwards but I remember that when we finished eating everything, mom said Spencer and I didn’t have to help clean up, so we were free to hang out for a while until he had to go home. I ran up stairs to my room with Spencer, or course, trailing behind me creaking closely. 

“You seem tired,” I looked at the drowsy features resting on his face after closing the dark oak door behind me. “Are you tired?” 

“No not at all,” he yawned through a lie, he saw my small smirk. “okay maybe just a little”.

I moved my backpack off of my twin sized bed and tapped the mattress, without needing to say anything, he got on the bed and layed down. I could tell he was drifting away to sleep but he was fighting it. Spencer was always stubborn like that.

“Close your eyes” I said,

“I don’t want you to leave” he trailed off, it was adorable and sad but I reminded him,

“I’m not going anywhere! I’ll be right here the whole time, I’ll shake you when it’s time to go I promise” I said to him in a soft voice.

He whispered a soft “Okay” in response. Spencer closed his eyes and instantly fell asleep under my mocha pink covers, he hugged my white pillows close to him while he breathed softly. He looked so peaceful sleeping there. I wanted to keep my promise, so of course, stayed in the room and tried to find something interesting to do. 

I moved the sheer light pink curtains out of my way and sat at the large bay window, I looked towards my garden covered in snow. There was nothing to see especially in the dark, there were a few patches where some flowers peeked through but their lives were coming to an end. I looked up at the gray foggy sky, the snowflakes and clouds were so thick I couldn’t see any stars; however, the moon still shined bright. 

The moon looked back at me, distracting me from everything around me. I don’t remember how long I was sitting there for but I heard some muffled sounds from downstairs, I tuned back into the real world and listened to the sound again.  

“Come on Spencer, it's time to go home hunny!” Spencer's mom yelled from downstairs.

I made my way over to Spencer and shook his shoulder lightly, “Spence,” I whispered “wake up”.

Spencer fluttered his eyes open, finding his eyes towards mine. He studied my face for a second with a little bit of confusion and sleepiness in his eyes, “Is it time for me to leave?” he asked with a somber tone.

“Yeah,” I sighed “your mom is calling for you” I told him.

Spencer stood up and gave me a hug, he was disappointed that he had to leave but we both knew it wouldn’t be too long before we’d see eachother again. I walked downstairs with my tired Spencer and planned what we would do on our next visit. 

“Call me sometime tomorrow okay?”

“Don’t worry Calliope, I'll remind him,” his mom reassured me.

“Thank you Mrs. Grey!” I waved our guests goodbye as my mom told them to be careful on their way home.

My mom looked down at me and said “Alrighty hunny it’s getting a bit late, you should start getting ready for bed”

I replied with my usual “Okay mom!” I made my way upstairs and started my nightly bedtime routine.