Rex of the Falls | Teen Ink

Rex of the Falls

May 22, 2019
By Whitney-Grace, New Castle, Colorado
More by this author
Whitney-Grace, New Castle, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This is a fairytale retelling of The Frog Prince. 

The fog overhead foreshadows the coldness that I am going to endure as I stalk up the steps of the town hall. The matter was made urgent, dire enough to even rouse Mario from his sleep, and then spook me from mine. But who am I to complain, my duty is to this town and all the things in it. Thus it was one of the only reasons that I was here, at 2AM to receive and debate on this urgent news that’s being revealed.

I rub my eyes, once, twice, and a third time while yawning to the guard at the door, “I am Annella Luciano, requesting entrance ----to the emergency meeting, with clearance code seventy-six.” I am met with no reply. Violet eyes only narrow at me, the wolfhounds alert, standing proudly at their masters’ feet. It became commonplace to hire mediums to integrate into the once mundane legal systems decades ago. Police, judges, lawyers, and security guards (much like this one) were needed to see through tricks and deceit. The air around me simmers cold and I tense at the hot, skin crawling sensation that overtakes my skull. In the beginning I lasted about half a second before the very knowledge of someone else creeping in my mind and evaluating my soul made me vomit. I would flinch away with the urge to smack at my head as if to remove a large nest of spiders. I yawn again.

The guard blinks and steps aside. I smile strongly, the thudding of my boots echoing continues. Few lights were turned on to soothe nocturnal eyes. Looking down the hall, a dim orange lustre filtered from the cracked door. I enter without knocking, father and uncle Mario were already in attendance, though I’ve not the slightest clue on how they beat me here, my motorcycle against a Camaro and Honda. The other members of the guild remain quiet and silent while I stalk around the room. My hands reach for my medallion while I come to a halt behind a chair.  

“You may begin,” I announce, shrugging off my trench coat and narrowing my eyes.

“We have word sent from the Arch, one of their most wanted, a sorceress, has escaped from their prison. She was lost, last seen heading north, and into the wilderness. . .” Silence. The room stays in a brooding silence.

I cross my arms. “What were her charges?”

“A category three assault, attempted murder, and blood curses,” Mario grunts, trying to wipe away the sleep from his eyes.

“Her name?”

“They know her as Faye, whether that is her real name is none of our concern.”   

I nod, and pace across the floor.

“They asked us to take care of their problem, didn’t they?” I don’t hide the annoyance in my tone. For this was not the first, certainly not the last we were begged to eradicate rogue beasts, ghouls, and filth from the face of our planet.

“Our new mission is this,” father commands, standing at his towering height. “Keep alert for a female sorceress loose on this land. If she is found, kill on sight and prevent another’s curse.”

The meeting carried on till early afternoon. My hands clutching  my silver medallion throughout, and I fumble with it even now. Several victims of the Arch have already been cursed. I yawn for what feels like the seventh time.  Father would be surveilling the city, Uncle Mario the borders, and other huntsmen spread out to Sable, the dark woods where many things hide.

But I was allowed nothing but to stay in town, or go home. My rebellious nature was to be confined to a space that I could be surveilled. I wonder sometimes why father even bothers with rules, when he knows I will find my way around them. I am a good daughter. I chuckle, relieved to be free; I shake my head out of my thoughts, throwing my leg over and standing at the entrance of the Sable. Or the Black Woods. Mooncreek was known for its wilderness, the enchanted forests and mountains with long silver rivers. I run my left hand through locks of ebony hair and neatly free my necklace from its place. It was simple yet complex, a beauteous mixture of gold and silver and darkness.

I bring it just an inch before my nose, smiling. A mighty gold phoenix twisting and soaring through the bend of a crescent moon.  After spending the good hours of the day sleeping and debating what actions I would take, I finally decided to come here. I walk forward, humming a tune as I go, and twirl my medallion around and around on my finger. The whooshing of the moving chain is my only melody as I fade into the nature. All around me sprites sing and fairies dance, rejoicing in the night that is coming to rise.

I continue, my feet leading me on without conscious thought while I watch in a trance the spinning blur of medallion. Sounds of rushing water hum in the distance. The moonrise is just beginning, faintly kissing the world in its gentle light. With my finger still spinning I push myself up the hill and break through the trees.

And there lies the falls, resting on a sharp cliff, and overlooking the rest of the woods. I step through the trees, my eyes trailing over the dark roses that grow along the edges. From vivid red to dark crimson to black, roses are surrounding the mouth of the falls with dark emerald thorns to protect them. I spin my medallion faster, and faster, nearing the edge of the cliff. The rushing water thunders around me overtaking the sounds of my humming. And as the sounds reaches its peak it happens--- happening far faster than my eyes could see. . . Yet I feel like I watch it all in slow motion. The brass chain on my finger twirls in a blur, and without notice it goes up, and off. Just as fast as it was spinning it doubles in the speed that carries it off my finger, and over the edge of the falls.

I could not contain my squeal. My hands fly to my mouth, barely muffling the rest of my scream, and my eyes stuck on the place my priceless heirloom fell. The pain hits my chest first, and I sink to my knees. My vision blurs and I shake my head.

“Mom. . . No----,” My breath quickens, then tears flood my eyes while I look helplessly over the ledge. How could I! How could the lose the only thing I have left of her. Mom; that was all I had left. I think hotly. I barely see that I am shaking until I clench my hands into fists. Raising them high above my head, I thrust them as hard as I can into the ground and scream.

“This can’t be happening!” I shout, looking up at the moon, “Please! Please!  I’ll do anything, give anything, sacrifice anything to have my necklace returned to me. Anything! I can’t lose it.” Tears run down my face and I don’t even try to wipe them away. I turn back to the waterfalls and sob. Then a dark shadow leaps over the cliff, launching over me, and lands behind me with a squish.


I whirl, jumping straight to my feet. The fight in me throws flight aside, reaching for my dagger and throwing it with all my might. More tears flow, and in my vision I watch the creature dodge the blade; barely. A strangled cry leaves its lips, dropping to the ground in surrender.

“P-please,” the creature croaks, a wheeze rumbling from its throat. I huff and reach for another dagger. “N-no no, stop!”

The creature crawls forward, emerging into the light. Begging before me is a mess of a body that looks wrong in every way. I can tell the body is green, a deep murky green, its eyes a wide black abyss that appear sad, odd feet with talons, and webbed hands, and lastly a mop of dark hair soaked onto his head. I am guessing it is a he. . .

“I have seen,” and killed, “many creatures in my lifetime. I have never seen anything like you. What are you?” I demand.

“I am not sure,” he splutters. “But I mean you no harm, my beauty. I just heard your cries and thought I would come to help. Are you hurt?” I turn my head, I can take care of myself. But he wasn’t wrong. I do need help. I swallow, wiping away my tears.

“I’m not hurt. It’s just my necklace, my medallion. I was playing with it and lost it over the falls, it was my mother’s.” I trail off, I don’t even know what else to say. But he listens, staring at me intently. Slowly he stands, towering over me, and pinning me with his dark eyes.

“You screamed you would do anything--- Was that correct?” I nod. “So if I want to make a bargain with you, in return for retrieving your medallion, would you comply?” Again, I nod.

“I’ll give you anything you want.”

“Then my price is this: I want to stay with you in your house, under your roof as a sanctuary. I want to be a guest, and stay with you until further notice.” Alarm bells urgently blare in the back of my mind, but I push them aside and take a deep breath.

“Deal.” I said, my voice firm.

Without warning he jumps over the edge of the cliff. I don’t hear a splash, I don’t hear a cry of pain, instead he reappears just as silently as he left. Only this time he lands right in front of me, shaking off the water like a wet dog. I frown. Before I can speak his hand wraps around my forearm, pulling me forward and thrusting the medallion back into my hand.

My eyes go wide, the coolness of the chain creating a burst of chaos inside me. “You actually did it. . . And it was that easy. You didn’t even struggle, it barely took five minutes. Thank you!”

He inclines his head, “I gave you my word.”

“What’s your name?” I ask, clenching my medallion tightly.

He grins a toothy grin. “Forest.”

I find it in me to smile. “I’m Annella, but you can call me Nelly.”

He reaches out a hand, looking down at my own. Just then my phone rings. I jump back. Pulling my phone from my pocket, I look at the caller ID. Dad, I pale. I look around the darkness, groaning. Perhaps Forest was searching for my medallion longer than I thought. I shove my phone back in my pocket, turning away from Forest, and bolting back through the trees.

“Hurry Forest! I lost track of time! We’ve gotta go!” I don’t even look back, swirving and ducking through the growth, pushing myself faster and faster to my bike. A strangled yelp echoes from somewhere behind me, but I can’t stop now. I’m hope he isn’t too angry.

My actions blur together as I reach my bike, mount it, zip home, and receive a long lecture from father, all in the span of an hour. I’m sent to bed without dinner, though that was the least of my problems. My hand stays on the cold surface of my medallion, feeling the grooves of the moon, the intricate swirls of the tail of the phoenix. I sigh, relishing the the weight pressed against my neck. I sleep restlessly, wondering why Forest did not come to the mansion. Did I dream it?


It was not a dream. The mansion was still, still and quiet; other than the loud thunderous pounding that was being inflicted on my door. It’s frantic, the sound muffled by the sloshing of water. I rush to the door, throwing it open and prepare myself for the worst. I peer out the door, looking to the left, and then looking to the right. But nothing is seen, just the vast empty courtyard and our stone fountains. I narrow my eyes.

“Forest?” I call skeptically.

Suddenly a large green mass comes hurtling toward me with blurring speed. I don’t have time to shout as the body is slammed into me. We skid across the floor with a screech, my skin crawling at the grimey wet that is soaking through my shirt.

“What are you---,” I begin to exclaim, but he cuts me off.

“C-close the door!” he rasps in a croak, pulling us to our feet and cowering behind me. I march to the door as he commanded, and slam it soundly. I grab a fist of my hair, trying to stop myself from screaming. Turning around I finally get a closer view of whatever Forest is. He is two shades of green instead of one, a muddy green body with three dark stripes on his scaly arms and down his forehead. His talons on his feet are dull and grey. With worn old clothes, he could pass for homeless. He is absolutely disgusting. And he smells of mud, and fish, and rot, I think. Forest trembles under my stare, looking down at me pleadingly and putting on a nervous smile.

“I-- I um, am really hungry. . . Would you please make breakfast?” he asks. I groan, throwing my head toward the sky. I am really grateful for having my medallion back, but this is ridiculous. Why would I ever make a deal with a mutant-frog-thing?

“Wait here please,” I said. I rush away, down the hall around the corner, and straight for dad’s office, where I know he won’t be sleeping. I barely knock before I throw open the door. He turns his eyes up from his paperwork. He looks tired, his olive skin paler than it was last night.

“What was all the commotion? Who was at the door Annella?” I frown at my name. “Unfortunately, it’s a creature that I made a thoughtless bargain with. I offered him sanctuary here in return for retrieving something for me. It was rushed and I don’t know how to get out of it.” He hums, running a hand down his face.

“There should be no way out of it,” he states, nailing me with a glare. “One act of kindness should always be returned, whether you feel like it or not. I’m ashamed that you would dare to think otherwise, Annella. Now honor your word, as a Luciano does.” I bow my head, but I already know that I was wrong. Our lives were dedicated to the this. So I leave the office and go back to feed Forest, who has no problem tracking the muck of the river around.

The day drags on uncomfortably, and now both Forest and I are sitting on my bed across from each other. At least he seemed happy and full after the feast that he ingested. My hand fiddles with my medallion as we talk, even though his eyes stay trained on my tribal sun tattoo surrounded by three black stars. I don’t ask questions and as day turns to night, I end up on the floor. Forest rests peacefully in my king sized bed, a gurgling snore filling my room like a thick fog. A week passes of sleepless nights, cooked meals, and outbursts of laughter. Forest despite his stink was good. So today, just like the other days he walks through the front entry, and to the front door.

“I’ll be at the falls, and I'll be back before moonrise.” I shake my head.

“Why do you insist on going if you know you're in danger? You could easily just swim in my pool or lounge in my tub again.”

            “It's my home, and yet it isn't. I like it here, there is much more peace than what I had in the city.” I raise a brow, but he doesn't elaborate. Without another word he leaves the house.


And like every day before this, I trail after him. Clutching my medallion it isn't hard to forget that I made him a promise, and his intention of having a sanctuary implies that I should protect him. So I follow behind him at an easy pace, watching from a distance as he interacts with the creatures of the woods. Most of them look up him.

He walks toward the falls, with infestations of roses. I pause, a searing odor burning it's way up my nose. I knew the trouble before I saw them. The pungent smell of death and rotting flesh, bloody orange eyes, needles for teeth and choking yowl that makes known their presence. I clench my fists. Goblins. How convenient for them to crawl from their holes.

I break into a run, and adrenaline floods through my bones. Forest has no time to scream when I burst through the clearing. I act quickly, pulling out my pistol, and I fire three shots, catching them off guard. As soon as the first body hits the ground, they're upon me. I turn left and fire again. I eliminate five more goblins before the next is right on me. It lashes out with claws and teeth, I barely dodge the blow. I hiss, but whip around with a roundhouse kick, knocking it to the ground, and again I fire. Again and again, till their breathing stops and their bodies stop moving. Forest stares in shock, jaw dropping to the ground, legs trembling.

“Y-you followed me!?”

“Of course I followed you! You're my friend toad-brains, I will never let you die or worse get eaten alive.” What kind of huntress did he take me for? Forest takes a step forward, black eyes staring through my soul, looking me over from head to toe. He steps over the bodies delicately and reaches up with both webbed hands to cup my face. His hands are cool and slimy. I stare up at him, my lips puckering as he adds pressure.

“You've saved my life. Thank you,” he murmurs. I shrug.

“I'll be honest, your smell alone makes me gag; but you also make me laugh and I don't know anyone else who makes me laugh like you do.” He grins and apologizes many times for not helping me fight. But I never expected him to. I pulls his hands from my face, taking his hand and begin walking toward home. I walk ahead of him, pulling him around the trees and over tree trunks. Behind me Forest pants, squeezing my hand harder with each step. And then he collapses, his weight dragging me backwards onto the grassy floor.

“Forest!” I turn, staring in awe and confusion. All I can do is watch Forest heave on the ground, steam pools off his skin and his eyes bleed black. I open my mouth to say something, anything, but then he's gone. Well, his body morphs into the shape of a man. The whites of his eyes return, hazel irises blown wide in pain, or in shock. His dark mop of hair stays the same, but his amphibian-ness is gone. He's--- he is beautiful.                                                                 

“You were cursed,” I say, more to myself than anything. “Why didn't you just tell me. Or at least hint at it.”

                   He pants, “That's the thing about this curse. There were no loopholes. I. . . I abandoned a friend, she thought I was abandoning her, that I had no sense of loyalty. She lost her family, and in return she thought being with me would fix the hole in her heart. To finish her father's legacy for power, she wanted to form a union between me as the next mayor and her as my wife. And I refused.”

I listen, and nod in understanding.

“The only way to break the curse was to find someone who'd show me loyalty, without any ties, and with my appearance meant to scare them off. Who would share a their life with me and mean it.” I sigh, I should have guessed. I bring him back to his feet.

We walk back home, and into the house. We are nearly to the stairs just as a knock sounds at the door. I huff, pulling my hair out of my face, and pulling out my dagger.

“If it’s another goblin I will not hesitate to tear out its throat.”

Forest laughs, “The goblins wouldn’t knock.” I smile, you’d be surprised. I walk hurriedly to the door and yank the door open slowly.

“Who are you and what’s your business here?” Pulling the door fully open, I am met with a bright blue eyes, red hair, and a face peppered with freckles.

“I’m sorry to disturb you miss, but I had no other option. I am looking for my friend, and no matter how many times I try to plead my case, no one is really searching for him. He’s been missing for weeks. His name is Forest Greenwood. I’m Archer, Archer Shade. His best friend, I’ve been looking everywhere. This was my last option.”

Forest peeks his head over the threshold, “Archer!”

Forest’s best friend face is overtaken by a huge smile, all his white teeth on display.

“Forest! You’re you again. . . Dude you nearly killed me! I said I would help you break the curse and you left!”

“Yeah and now the curse is broken, problem solved. Nelly helped me,” he walks around me to stand by my side. “She looks scary, but she’s not so bad.” The boys both smile at each other goofily, finding nothing else to say. I look between them for a moment of silence.

“So, are you coming home?” Archer asks. “Your father has been worried.”

He looks back at me with an unreadable expression, and then back at his best friend.

“Uh. No. . . I don’t think so. I,” he pauses, starting into my eyes, “I want to stay here. Can I, Annella?” A million thoughts run through my mind at this question, but I set them all aside.

“Sure. There is plenty of room in the mansion, both of you are welcome to stay.”

We all smile at each other, a knowing expression on our faces.

“We’ll stay.”  



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.