A History of the World in Six Glasses | Teen Ink

A History of the World in Six Glasses

By MariahAqa, Corsby, Texas
MariahAqa, Corsby, Texas

Author's note:

It was a very interesting book to read and showed different types of drinks.

Socially, when people realized that grain soaked in water tastes sweet and that the process of fermentation produced alcohol,the result was storage of grains and a shift from a nomadic to a settled lifestyle.Thus villages were formed and grew to become the world’s first cities and civilizations such as Mesopotamia,each at a center of systems of fields and irrigation channels.Beer making thus propelled urbanization with features like wheeled vehicles.Examples of these cities were Uruk,Ur,Lagash where beer drinking fostered friendly, unpretentious social interaction as in the picture of people drinking beer from one pot through straws.(pg.11).

Economically,surplus grains due to organized agriculture on a massive scale led to new occupations such as scribes,administrators,craftsmen and advancements in farming technology so people could collect, process, and store grain.Beer was also used in the tax system by the priests in Sumer,was a form of currency,payment(pg.37) and brideprice(pg.35). Politically,pyramids were built by state employees,paid with beer and bread.The State collected  beer as tribute and redistributed it as payment. The pyramid construction instilled a sense of national unity,justified taxes and demonstrated the wealth and power of the state.Egyptian culture unified and remained stable for about 3,000 years whereas Mesopotamia endured constant military and political upheaval.

Culturally,the grain surplus that led to beer making funded vast public works such as canals, temples,and pyramids. Beer was the basis of the national diet in Egypt and Mesopotamia.Beer drinking was viewed as a hallmark of civilization as seen in the “Epic of Gilgamesh”(pg.26) and was part of Sumerian religious ceremonies  in prayers,myths(pg.28).It was also a medicine(pg.38).Beer was used in language and greeting and was a part of early forms of writing.Cuneiform tablets on wage forms,word lists and administrative documents were the ancestor of modern alphabets.

In time ,another drink wine emerged during the Neolithic period in the Zagros mountains.Long periods of storage of the fermented crushed grape juice produced wine. Socially,wine’s high cost made it a privilege for the elite in Mesopotamia although King Ashumasipal II of Assyria’s wealth enabled him to to supply it in abundance at feasts (pg.46).Wine drinking was an elaborate and social ritual.Access to wine was a mark of status and became fashionable in the Near East and Eastern Mediterranean .By 6th century BCE,classes were divided by vineyard size(pg.54).Wines age and origin distinguished social classes as increased volumes and lower prices made it widely available.

Culturally ,wine was utilized for religious  purposes as an offering and in Christian Eucharists.It was used for tribute when it was scarce and became a symbol of civilization,refinement and superiority evidenced by the formal and intellectual atmosphere of the symposium in Greece distinguishing them from the barbarians who drank beer.Signs of civilization included mixing wine with water and adherence to rules or rituals of wine.

Next, as Europeans sought to break the Arab trade monopoly during the age of exploration , distilled drinks such as brandy, spirits and whiskey emerged . Cordoba in the Arabian Peninsula was early on the leader in distillation.Culturally, the knowledge of distillation that was preserved as ancient wisdom by the Arabs , translated into Arabic and Latin , helped to rekindle the spirit of learning in Western Europe. Even though spirits began in chemical labs, they became dominant in explorer’s colonies and empires (pg. 97) due to their easy way of transportation. Distilled wine was used as a medicine such as for Charles the Second of Navarre (pg.97-99) and scurvy (pg.110) a recreational drink (pg.100). “ Uisge Beatha” the origin of whiskey dominated Ireland . Rum was the convergence of materials, people and technologies around the world (pg.111).
Economically, the emergence of these new distilled drinks coincided with European exploration and then success was due partly to the Arab technologies of the magnetic compass, the astrolabe, trigonometry as well as distillation. Global sea routes were established and rum,brandy,whiskey were used as currency to buy slaves. Distilled drinks such as brandy was easy to be packed on ships and was durable. Rum was used in businesses , selling and signing deeds .They were also a mark of prestige among the African slaves such as the (bizy) ,(plos) and this played a huge role in the evil trade. Sugar cultivation and distillation of rum went hand in hand with slave management (pg.108).Economically, whiskey was a compact form of wealth (pg.122). Whiskey was used as a rural currency,used whenever legal documents were signed.
Socially,spirits such as rum represented the oppression of the first era of globalization in the slave trade even though it represented a triumph in new technologies of distillation and the Age of Exploration. Rum was consumed by both the European colonists and their slaves in the New World. Rum was popular among the sailors. The settlers prefered whiskey because they were from Scotland and had experience in distilling.Whiskey took on duties that were performed by rum.
Politically, establishment of the New World from 1607 and the hardships that followed made alcohol supply a priority. In 1620, a beer shortage determined the site of the Second British colony (pg.114). Rum became the North Americans favorite drink in the 17th Century because it was cheaper, stronger ,provided a liquid form of central heating and reduced colonists reliance on European imports. Disputes due to the New England stronger distilled alcohol, rum as currency for slaves led to a 1733 law, the Molasses Act that levied a duty. Since this affected the New England's economy they resorted to smuggling. Rum played an important role in elections, like George Washington (pg.118).Whiskey was given to voters by campaigning politicians.A tax on production of distilled drinks in 1791 caused opposition and exposed the divide over the balance of power between the States and the Federal Government. It led to rebellion in 1794 (pg.124) was a defining moment in American History. Led to the development of bourbon in Distilled drinks helped people of the Old World establish themselves as rulers of the New World,through enslavement and displacement of millions, establishment of new nations.
The Defiance of the Molasses Act was the beginning of the journey to American Independence after the Sugar Act and other unpopular laws . Therefore the taxation of rum and other molasses played a crucial role in the eventual outbreak of the Revolutionary War in 1775 and was the preferred drink of the American soldiers.
Culturally, Whiskey was used in birth and death rituals even clergymen were paid in whiskey. Spirits were used to subjugate and indigenous cultures (pg.128).

Following the Reformation,Standage argues that a new rationalism flourished in England and the Netherlands in order to manage and exploit dislent colonies.  This Age of Reason with criticism , tolerance and freedom of favored a new drink coffee, that promoted sharpness and clarity. Coffeehouses thus functioned as the Internet of the Age of Reason.

Socially, coffee which was considered safer,regulated the work day, served in calm,sober,respectable environments became the preferred drink of intellectuals,merchants and clerks (pg.134). It caused greater sobriety among the Nations (pg.136). It became a social drink but some in the Muslim World in 1511 sought to prohibit  it due to its intoxicating effects. Coffee houses in the Arab World were considered a hotbed of gossip,rumor,political debate chess, and sources of news. Coffeehouses in Europe in the 1650s and the 1660s were respectable. Coffee became a fashionable drink among the aristocracy in Paris.

Culturally, coffee provided an alternative to alcohol and coffee houses were an environment for social, political, intellectual exchange. For scientists,businessmen and politicians in Europe they become outlets for newsletters, pamphlets and advertisements and meeting places for musicians and sailors (pg.153 -155). Rumors news and gossip were carried between Coffee houses (pg.154) and discussions joined public and private worlds. Women were excluded , social differences or classes prohibited, toasting banned and quarrels discouraged in coffeehouses (pg.156). Coffee Houses were centers of self-education literary and philosophical speculations, thus shaping the history of communities such as Christopher Wren (pg.158) and James Hogsclon (pg.162). Today coffee-shops are used by mobile workers to exchange information and the current center of coffee culture.Starbucks in Seattle is home to the world’s largest software and Internet firms.

Economically, in this period,London coffee houses became the vessels of the new scientific and financial revolutions that shaped the modern world. Coffeehouses in London were a place to do business for businessmen (pg.142) even with objection from the tavern owners (pg.143). Coffee Houses became central to commercial life and Europe established their own supplies to reduce Arab dependency. The Dutch gained control of the spice trade to do this and the French , the West Indies (pg.148).  Coffeehouses were centers of commercial innovation giving rise to new business models in insurance, lottery (pg.163) and functioned as stock markets (pg.164).

Politically, King Charles the Second suspected the freedom of speech in coffeehouses of stirring up plots and attempted to suppress them in 1675 with a proclamation. This failed due to the popularity of coffee. Both socially and politically coffeehouses were centers of political fermentation. In France 1700’s the coffeehouses as meeting places for intellectuals and centers of enlightenment had strict government control. So handwritten newsletters of Paris gossip emerged as well as poems and songs (pg.169). They had radical new ideas and were centers for revolutionary thought due to the French financial crisis (pg.170) therefore setting the French Revolution in motion (pg.171).

Next, Standage argues that the emergence of tea in the course of history, is a story of imperialism,industrialization and world domination. The origins of tea, an infusion of dried leaves, China’s tea drink helped along prosperity and population surge around 630 to 755 (pg.179). This was due to its powerful antiseptic properties which made it safe as well  as its fast preparation .

Economically, tea’s size and value grew and inspired the use of paper money, a new invention. Tea in the form of bricks was used as a currency. In Tang Dynasty,  the importance of tea was indicated by a tax in 780. Europe finally had tea through trade with China and added milk to their tea. Ultimately, Britain emerged as the most tea-loving European nation with historical consequences. Britain’s imports grew greatly and it was smuggled or adulterated. The rise of the British East India Company, monopolised imports to England from the East Indies. The Industrial Revolution that began with the textiles and then other fields involved labor that embraced tea in the 18th Century Europe. It kept them alert, focused and antibacterial properties reduced disease therefore, increasing productivity. Tea stimulated commerce in terms of demand for crockery,celebrity endorsements in marketing (pg.202).

Culturally, Lu Fo Yu,a Taoist poet transformed tea from ordinary to a symbol of culture and sophistication. Tea tasting and appreciation was an honor. The head of the household had the honor of making tea. Drinking parties and banquets centered on tea were popular special tributes teas were presented to the emperor each year. It came to be regarded as a form of spiritual and bodily refreshment.

Socially, Japan took on tea ceremonies in every level of Japanese society promoted by the Shogun. The host in Japan took the central role of tea making and it was very formal. Poor families in Britain 1700s could not afford tea due to its high price and scarcity until the company established trading posts in China in the 18th Century. However,Britain imports grew so every class of society could have at least one cup a day (pg.188). All classes could then consume tea after its affordability. It  was very popular in the aristocracy after Catherine of Braganza’s marriage (pg.189). Tea became sociable in 1717 Thomas Twining opened a shop to sell tea to women since coffee were men only domains. Tea gardens,knowledge of teas,becoming an afternoon meal were innovations in tea consumption especially for women.

Politically, due to the British East India Company’s gifts, of “good tea” (pg.190) King Charles gave the company power to acquire territory, maintain an army, form alliances,declare war and make peace and dispense justice. This company  became British power in the East with tea served at meetings. So in many cases company policy became government policy (pg.203) such as the Tea Act (pg.204) This led to protests by the American colonists in New England on taxes by London and thus the Boston Tea Party of 1773 (pg.205), finally prompting the outbreak of the Revolutionary War in 1775 . Standage maintains that the dispute over tea proved a decisive step toward Britain’s loss of its American colonies. Later the company began trade in Opium and drug smuggling to improve Britain’s debt with China but resulted in the Opium War 1839-1842. He argues that imperialist rivalries to compel China to open up to foreign trade caused Chinese ressentiment to foreigners. Search for new supply source resulted in India as the main supplier and causing financial loss,rebellion and instability in China. Finally, tea consumption today reflects Britain is imperial influence, an unrestrained global superpower with its impact still visible.

The American industrial approach applied to the final drink cola,Standage argues transformed the US  into a superpower due to industrial might Coca-Cola represented the rise of the United States. Economically, the mass production in America , driven by abundance of raw materials specialized machines and absence of regional and claes production, rail and telegraph networks gave it Industrial Revolution leadership. Parallel to this was the rise of Coca-Cola ,the world’s most valuable brand. Originally marketed as medicinal selling it as a refreshment boosted sales as well as botthing the Cola. Soda was marketed at sporting events, grocery stores and became a lucrative franchise. Coca-Cola represents globalization ,consistent quality and is the world’s most valuable brands.

Politically, especially during World War Two, production of Coca-Cola began on American military bases throughout Europe helping spread it on every Continent on Earth. General Zhukov of  Russia inspired a colorless version of Cola. Furthermore, during the Cold War Coca-Cola was associated with America and Western values of freedom,democracy and free-market Capitalism. It was viewed negatively by the Communists and others objecting to the Marshall Plan (pg.257). Global expansion of Coca-Cola coincided with America’s growth of influence as the leading Capitalist nation in a global struggle against Communism. Pepsi Cola, however was able to expand behind the Iron Curtain but Coca-Cola gained an upper hand after the fall of the Berlin Wall, as a symbol of triumph and freedom Capitalism over Communism.  Association of Cola with the USA, counted against it with the Middle East due to the Israeli-Arab tensions (pg.261) until the late 1980s when the Arab boycott of Coca-Cola crumbled. Coca-Cola was used to protest the Iraq War in 2003 by Thai youths.

Initially created as a medicinal item by Priestly in 1767,Thomas Henry added sugar and lemon to transform it into soda water popular in the USA.Matthews combination of Coca and Cola revolutionized the soda business and it was sold in all states by 1895.Culturally,Coca cola was responsible for creating the modern image of Santa Claus as a bearded man as it marketed soda to children. It was a refreshment enjoyed by all classes.

Coca Cola was a social drink,consumed at any time of the day and was popular with American servicemen throughout the world(p251) as they fought for choice;political,economic and personal.The military lower ranks to the top leaders enjoyed cola(p253) but it was denounced by Axis powers in the war,Germany and Japan as a symbol of American wrongs. However,Coca Cola indeed became the drink of the 20th century.

In Conclusion, Standage’s demonstration of different drinks and their impact on communities does validate the fact that they shaped the course of history politically,socially,culturally and economically from before the common era to present day.