Wolfhelm, Act One | Teen Ink

Wolfhelm, Act One

By deafening-fan GOLD, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
deafening-fan GOLD, Kutztown, Pennsylvania

“If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Author's note: I want this to be the fun, witty story of old gaelic legends and scottish lore coming to life in modern day.

Hi, I’m Molly Fletcher, I’m 17 years old, I’m 5 ft. 8 in., have long, chestnut brown hair, blue eyes, and I’m a Scot. Well…. my ancestors were, but they came over to America in the great immigration era. My dad and I live in eastern PA, and I’m perfectly fine with that. It’s cool here, but my father says I need to experience the world. People think I have an amazing life, traveling all over the world, seeing everything, but I just wish I could just stay home, go on the computer, watch TV, play sports, and be a normal kid. But, since my dad is a National Geographic photographer, I have to go with him. You see, my mom was killed in a car crash when I was real small, so my dad gets really protective. Not the ‘No you cannot go to a friend’s party tonight’, it’s more of an ‘I’m not going to let you out of my sight so you’re coming with me all over the world’ kind of over protectiveness. So here I am, on winding road in Scotland.
My dad is whistling that tune from the King and I, that one were their scared but they whistle anyway to show their not. I can’t tell you how many DVD musicals I have watched on plane flights though. I can recite all the kids from The Sound of Music; sing the entire theme song of Singing in the Rain; and to top it off, I know all the lyrics of The Circle of Life thing from Lion King. It’s scary.
So you can imagine my excitement when my dad told me that he was going to Singapore. Oh, boy. No gum for six months straight, I thought. He got my hopes up by telling me that I wasn’t coming, but they took a Pit Fall when he told me my Uncle Robert was going to take care of me. Dad obviously wasn’t pleased, but he couldn’t turn down me the ‘joyful and rejuvenating experience of the Scottish countryside’ as Uncle Robert told my dad over the phone. Then again, there’s a village down the hill from my Uncle’s castle, so I might be able to go shopping. Oh yeah, my uncle is the owner of Wolfshelm Castle. He’s pretty wealthy to, since he got my Grandfather’s inheritance when my mom died. She was the oldest, and entitled to the castle, but when she died, the inheritance went to the next oldest, my uncle. When we last visited my Grandfather, he was very sick, and was changing his will. I was only ten at the moment, but I had a vague understanding of what was going on. Long after I should’ve been in bed, I crept to my Grandfathers den, and put my ear to the door crack to listen.
“That castle belongs to Molly and me. It was her mother’s by right, so it should go to her!” My father’s voice was in a forced whisper, since my grandmother was asleep, and he thought I was to. My father seems to get these wrinkles in his forehead when he gets angry or stressed. When I was a kid, and I asked about my mom, he would get those lines and tell me I look just like her. I seemed to take my mom’s Scottish features. My lightly reddish tinted skin, my bright blue eyes, and my chestnut hair take after her. My dad has green eyes, but brown hair. He looks serious all the time, but he smiles around me, while I naturally smile. My dad said when he first saw my mom; she was smiling the whitest, most beautiful smile he could ever find. I could imagine my father getting those stress wrinkles then.
“I understand David, but Robert is my oldest living child and heir, so I must leave it to him.” My Grandfather let out a coughing fit, and my uncle went to him.
“It should be Molly’s!” Grandfather sighed and my father came towards the door. I scrambled up and hid behind the nearest wall. I heard my father go into his room, and I ran back to my bedroom.
Those memories rushed back to me as I listened to my iPod and watch the country rush by my window.
“I’m sure you’re going to enjoy your visit with your uncle. I mean, it is a real Scottish castle. You could spend an entire month trying to learn all its secrets. Maybe you’ll find some protected escape routes! They used to have them to get the women and children out in the case of a raid. And then the countryside! Man, you have the cliffs and the forest, and you can go to the ocean too! I bet they have some nice tide pools and….” I turned up the volume on my iPod to drown him out. When my dad gets going, he gets GOING. Sometimes my friends would spend time at my house just to hear stories of my dad’s travels. It got really annoying. I can’t stand him listing fact after fact about some Babylonian temple, or some ancient redwood forest. At least I won’t have to hear about Communism or Buddhism or any other -ism! I started feeling glad about this and slumped back in my seat, watching the countryside, and becoming excited to be “rejuvenated”.

“Hey… hey honey, Molly, we’re in Wolfshelm, come on wake up.” I opened one of my eyes. I must’ve nodded off because there we were, parked on a cliff overlooking the village. It was…quaint, a little smaller then Fleetwood, which was a borough near my home. It had little shops and cobblestone streets. I thought it would be larger, but beggars can’t be choosers. It was surrounded by fields and small farms. Over by the sea was an inlet, and docks full of fishing boats. Then there was a spindly dirt road making its way to the town.
“Over there, is Wolfshelm Castle, you’re home for the next half a year.” I forced my eyes away from the town, and saw a castle, seeming to be placed right into the mountain and about to topple over onto the sleepy little town.
“Wow,” I exclaimed, and my father gave one of his rare smiles. I had graduated home school last summer, but never in my trips or textbook had I ever seen something this amazing. I wanted to look at the town first though. Secretly, I wanted to see if there were any cute Scottish guys in town. My dad also thought that teenage boys were riff-raff and that they weren’t suitable to date until the age of 25. I always teased him about how he and mom were married right after college. He would always tease me back that I would have an arranged marriage. I still wanted to date guys, though being homeschooled doesn’t let you interact with that many males, except for my Dad.
“Hey... err... Dad, I’m feeling a bit peckish. Can we maybe stop in town for something to eat before we go to the castle?”
“Sure, I’m feeling a bit hungry myself.” I smiled as we climbed back into the rental. We drove down to the town and I took a look around. There were some strange signs with weird symbols on them, but I refrained from asking to hopefully avoid a lecture. Dad parked in front of a tavern called, The Full Moon Inn. The sign had a wolf howling at, what else, a full moon. I got out and turned around to see a guy standing on the corner. He had blonde hair and deep, rich, forest green eyes. And he was staring right at me. I felt self conscious and was turning away when I saw his eyes change. Just for a second, they seemed to turn blood red. When I whipped back around, the guy was gone. I blinked and rubbed eyes.
“You ok Molly?” I was still looking at the corner, but I told myself it was just a trick of the light. No one can have green eyes that change to red. I must be letting myself get ahead of my mind. I followed my dad into the tavern, still telling myself it was a mirage.
When we entered, a hostess showed us to a wooden table and gave us some menus. They had the weirdest stuff. I knew fish and chips, and haggis, but what the heck was bridie? And a Cullen skink? When the waitress came back, I took it safe and ordered fish and chips, but Dad had to be Dad and he got the bridie, which turned out to be a meat pastry. When the waitress asked if we wanted dessert, I got a clootie dumpling, just to make Dad happy, but he got this thing called a cranachan, which looked pretty good, but I stuck with my dumpling. When we were finished, Dad paid, and we went back to the rental. I looked back at the corner, but the guy wasn’t there.

The drive to the castle was silent, and I knew as much as I thought my dad was annoying, he was still my dad, and I was going to miss him. I was so used to him being around, but I knew it was time. When we finally reached the top, my dad didn’t get out right away, he turned to me and gave me a box. I stared at him questioningly.
“This was your mother’s and your grandmother passed it on to her, and she got it from her great-grandmother. All the way back down your Logan blood-line. Don’t show it to your uncle, or anyone else, understand? I want you to take of this; I know it will take care of you.” My dad got out of the car and started unloading the trunk. I stayed, rooted to my seat, staring at the little blue velvet box. I unfastened its golden hinges and opened it. Sitting on a silk pillow, was an oval, white stone. It wasn’t really pure white it was more like… an ice cube that had been dropped in warm water, some areas clear, while other areas were a white. But what was really interesting about it was that it changed color when you moved it. Slashes of blue streaked across the jewel for moments then left to other places on the stone. It was lined with silver, and placed on a chain. It was really pretty, but I knew I had to keep my promise and keep it hidden. I looped it around my neck and tuck it behind my shirt.
“Hey, Molls! Come over here and give me a hand will ya?” I got out and helped my dad, who seemed to have forgotten about our prior conversation. With a grunt I heaved my trunk up, and then the castle door opened to show us a smiling Uncle Robert with his footman, who quickly took our things for us as my uncle spoke to us.
“Ah! David, such a pleasure to see you again,” exclaimed my uncle as he clasped hands with my very unhappy looking father. “And Molly, you’ve grown so much taller since I’ve last seen you! And you look more like your other every time you and I meet!” I gave him a big bear hug and smiled. My father might not like my young, funny, easygoing uncle, but I loved him. “Shall we go inside? You must be tired, why not give yourself a rest David?” My father grimaced at the thought of having tea with Uncle Robert.
“Uhm, no thank you Robert, I must be going. I need to check into my flight and I would feel better if I set off immediately.” Uncle Robert gave another smile, but there was something strange about it.
“Yes, of course. Carter,” my uncle said to his footman, “take my niece’s things to her room won’t you?” With a swift nod, Carter disappeared with the other servants inside with my luggage.
I turned to my father and gave him a hug and whispered to him, “Stay safe.” He smiled.
“Six months will be done before you know, and then we can celebrate your 18th ok?” I laughed at how he could remember my birthday even when it’s half a year away. I stepped back and watched him climb into his car. When he looked at my uncle, Dad frowned, but my uncle just smirked and walked inside. I followed him, trying to stop myself from getting emotional.
“I hope you enjoy your stay here. You can go anywhere in the castle you like, except my den and bedroom of course, I do revel in my privacy.” I nodded, and marveled at the tapestries and the stained glass. It seemed like the castle was like a museum. But something sent a chill down my back. I looked around and saw wolves… everywhere. The railings where carved into wolf like shapes, the stained glass depicted wolf packs hunting through fir pine forests. And even the family crest contained a great grey wolf, a full moon, and sprigs of some strange herb.
And it wasn’t just the architecture that made me shiver. All the servants were men, and they had an aura around them that made me uneasy, something about them wanted me to turn away from the castle and never ever come back. I dismissed the feeling, telling myself I was just becoming paranoid without my father. I excused myself from my uncle and a man-servant showed me to my room. On all the doors I saw strange symbols; they seemed to be a type of plant, the same type of plant I saw on the crest. This castle was making me feels uneasy, but I was tired, and changed into my sleep-clothes and crawled into bed. I slipped off to sleep, and before I totally fell asleep, I heard a wolf howling.

The next morning, I rushed downstairs, clothed and ready to start the new day. Since my uncle was busy, I took out my skateboard out of my duffle bag, strapped on my helmet, and turned on my iPod. It was easy going down, since my uncle’s road up to the castle was paved, but once I reached town, I had to ride on the sidewalks. I got a couple of stares and some shakings of the head, but I didn’t care. With a fluent and swift motion of the foot, I kicked up my board and walked into the clothing store. I knew I wanted a new shirt, and maybe some khaki shorts for hiking.
The clothes were really vibrant, and I had a hard time choosing. I chose a few shirts and went into the changing room. Since there was no one in the store, I got my pick of clothing. I was changing into a bright violet shirt with gray stripes when I heard the door open. I went out to look at myself in the mirror, but I was pushed back into the stall and pinned against the wall. I opened my mouth to scream, but a firm hand clamped it shut. I could almost feel my body radiating fear, and looked up to see the guy who had been standing on the street corner. He looked at me sternly.
“Shh! be quiet!” He took his hand away from my mouth and I took a breath to scream again but he clamped it again. “Ok, ok, ok. If you don’t scream, I’ll stop pushing you against the wall. Deal?” I nodded and shrank back into the stall as he scanned the hallway.
“Who are you? What do you want from me?” He sighed, but kept scanning the hallways and other stalls.
“A little quiet would be nice, and as for the first question, you don’t need to know who I am, and you shouldn’t.” I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms sourly. The adrenaline had passed, plus, this guy couldn’t be much older than me. I could take him in a fight
“Just tell me who you are and I’ll shut up ok?” He looked over at me.
“If only. Anyway, my name is Matthew, ok? Enough for you? Good.” I rolled my eyes and leaned against the wall. I dropped my book bag and ruffled through it. I knew I should have brought my pepper spray. I my phone was dead, and all I had was some money, my iPod, my skateboard, and my helmet. Maybe if I could catch him unaware, I could whack him lop side of the head with my skateboard.
“Listen, stay here, and if anyone comes into the store, keep quiet.” I nodded and got my skateboard behind my back. Matthew left the hall and then went to the back of the store. I strapped on my helmet, and sprinted out of the store, just to see him turn and run after me. I dropped my board and skated as hard as I could. I lost him after a couple of sharp turns and quickly called a cab to take me back to the castle. I had a feeling I shouldn’t call the cops, while my brain was screaming at me to tell my uncle everything. I followed my gut and changed for dinner. Again, my uncle could not join me for the meal, and I ate alone. Once dessert was finished I rushed up to my room. Once, there, I locked the door and turned on the steamy water for my bath. I took off my necklace and looked at it. Something was strange about it. I shrugged the feeling off, and stepped into the warm water. I scrubbed all the grime off me, and I felt at peace. Suddenly, I heard a knock at my bathroom door.
“Miss Fletcher,” said a voice, and I recognized it to be Carter’s, “Mr. Logan would like to speak with you in the Library.” I unplugged the bathtub and dried myself off.
“Tell him I’ll be right there.” I rushed into my clean clothes, and suddenly a thought came to me. How did Carter get into my room, when it was locked? I puzzled over this as I pulled my top on. He probably has a key for every lock in the house, like how maids have keys for all the hotel rooms. I blow dried my hair and rushed downstairs in my old khakis, t-shirt and sneakers. Carter led me to the library, and I looked over all the books as I waited for my uncle. Some of them were very well known to me, Great Expectations, David Copperfield, even the entire Harry Potter series! Some of them were in strange languages I didn’t understand; some of them didn’t have a title at all. Then I noticed a symbol on one of the binds of the books. It was the same symbol I had seen on the signs down the mountains on the road to the village. I pulled it off the shelf and was going to open it when I noticed the lock on it.
It was strange, not fit for any key I had ever seen. The keyhole was in the shape of an oval. An oval? I stood there puzzling then it hit me. My necklace! Maybe Dad wanted me to read this book? But why? I reached for my necklace, which I still kept near me for every moment.
“You shouldn’t go snooping around like this.” I snapped my hand away from my neck and whipped around to see my uncle, dressed in his fine pressed suit. There was a strange glint in his eyes, and his voice seemed like silk, yet…weird. “Someone might think you’re up to something.” I felt my feet becoming like lead. Something was wrong, something was very wrong. “You may not know this, but when your mother died, I inherited this castle.” I nodded and he walked over to the flask by his easy chair. He coolly poured some of the ruby red drink into his glass. “But I didn’t really inherit it. You see, I am just a care-taker until the real owner comes of age.” He sipped from the glass and walked over to the window, which had an amazing view of the village and surrounding forest and mountains.
“Who is the real inheritor then?” I thought I knew the answer and my stomach dropped with dread. He turned over and faced me.
“Why,” he walked over silently and whispered into my ear, “you, Molly Elizabeth Anne Fletcher.” His breath brushed over my neck like ice as he drawled my name along his tongue. He walked back to the middle of the room and kept his back to me. “I don’t want you to take me for a simpleton, Molly. In fact I know more than you think. For example, I know you also were given a necklace from your father.” I froze. How could he have known about the necklace? “Ah, I see you are surprised. I should tell you I have very keen sense.” He turned around and his eyes were blood red. My heart jumped into my throat. This was getting weird and scary. “Impetun,” he said coolly as I got thrown into the bookshelves and lost my grip on the book I was still holding. “Where is the necklace?” I groaned in pain.
He clucked his tongue like a parent who needs to force their child to behave. “Come now, Molly. You know where it is.” I got up and stared at my uncle. How could he be doing this? “Come on, I know you have it,” he snarled, “Duratus.” Suddenly, I went limp and fell to the floor. My necklace fell out and the amulet was lying right next to me. “Ah, there it is. So sorry Molly, but you were just something I needed to take care of, and you were in the way. Carter, take her to the back woods, you know the plan. Make it look like a rabid bear.” Carter nodded, and went to pick up the amulet when there was a loud crash. I heard loud snarling and the gasp and thud of my uncle. Suddenly, I got control of my body again. I rolled over and kicked Carter square in the stomach. While he sat on the ground, partly dazed, I noticed something. His stomach was missing. There was a large hole where it should’ve been, and it was already reforming.
“Not good,” I gulped, “not good… at all.” I whipped around and saw my uncle facing none other than Matthew. He grit his teeth while my uncle shot little balls of energy from his palms straight at him. I stood there, frozen in shock. This was getting to weird. I turned to run when Carter reached up behind me and grabbed me. I struggled against his iron grip, but it was no use. I opened my mouth to scream, but he clapped his hand over it. I thrashed and kicked and bit, but Carter wouldn’t let go. I was about to give him a good square hit in the knee when we got knocked over. I looked up and saw Matthew.
“Come on,” he said helping me to my feet, “We gotta get out of here.” I nodded, and he and I raced for the door, but my uncle got there first, along with his servants, all wielding large daggers. I reached for the nearest object near me, which happened to be the locked book. Ok, it was official, Fate hates me.
“Molly, put down the book, I’m your Uncle Robert, remember?” I felt my hands slipping from the book. Matthew took my hand, and I felt my grip tightening again. I didn’t know who he was, but I was most certainly not going back to my room. I grabbed my locket and shoved it into the book. My uncle tensed, and I braced myself. But nothing came.
“Heh, heh, heh,” my uncle chuckled nervously, “It’s a forgery. David really must check his facts…” Suddenly, the book burst open emitting waves of pale blue light. My uncle was forced back, and began yelling at his servants, but they were all screaming in pain with every wave of light. I looked into the book and saw millions of small blue symbols on the lighter blue, glowing pages. I suddenly knew the words I wanted to say. Efuger. Suddenly, I was blasted back and fell against Matthew, and we fell over. Right out of the broken glass window.

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Info-dump? Do you mean the summary? Know that I read it I feel bad about it.

LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

beware the info-dump.