MassEffect Into the Abyss | Teen Ink

MassEffect Into the Abyss

December 11, 2015
By ArrenBytes, laffeyette, Colorado
More by this author
ArrenBytes, Laffeyette, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“I've notified the alliance”
“Do you think they'll be here on time?”
“They better well damn be!”

Her body filled with pain as the golden blast of heat and energy ripped between her and the escape pod. Magnetic boots suddenly losing their traction on the ship and sending her into the opening abyss of space. One last desperate attempt to grab the wall, but she knew it was hopeless. She tightened her fist and slammed it against the red button that would close the escape pod door.
“Commander! Commander! No!” a voice shouted, but it was too late, the doors slid closed on the pod then the pod launched into the space thrusters initiating. Her grip slipped, and she slipped back into the darkness.
Her body knocked against a piece of debris that floated on by.

Lights blinded her, the sound of gunshots and screaming. Her name being called in the distance; then the voice came in more clearly. “Shepard, you need to wake up now, the station is under attack”

She did as told, moving slowly as pain burst threw her body, “Your wounds aren't healed but the station is under attack, there's a pistol in the locker”

The woman moved off the table rubbing her jaw, lets almost gave away under her before regaining their strength as she moved. “Shepard we can't waist time.”

The voice was so demanding a forceful, but she proceeded to follow orders, Strawberry blond hair sweeping in front of her vibrant purple eyes, she brushed it way before opening up the locker. One single pistol sat in the top divider and Shepard knew she'd have to take it otherwise the voice would complain some more. The woman grunted and pulled it out checking over then starting up a bit “ this Pistol does not have a thermal clip.” her voice was hoarse like she had been smoking 2 packs a day, but mostly from being-- whatever she was for so long.

“It’s A med bay!” the woman snapped like that was obvious, of course it wouldn't have a pistol, why be armed and ready when you work in the med bay.  That makes no sense, I Mean not like we're going to get attacked or anything!

The blonde groaned again then moved from the locker “Shepard get behind cover I’m going to blow that door” so the woman did. Listening till the pop came and the door fell out of its frame
Conveniently there happened to be a thermal clip at the cross section behind the doors. Which made the ginger very pleased with the situation now that she was armed enough to do something. She stood from the crouched position behind the industrial grade glass and moved to the door picking up the thermal clip and loading it into the gun. Before following the hallway down.
The entire Station was flickering like that of a post-apocalyptic environment, lights twitching, explosions, gunshots, and creaking in the distance.  What a time to be alive what a time to be alive.
Shepard moved then opened another set of doors, waiting for those to slide open before she slipped herself inside, a set of barricades stood in front of her and the woman let out a soft sigh jumping over them then ducking behind another cover protector. Shepard was a pro,  she could take out mechs but what did you expect from the first human specter.
She peered over the protection barrier then shot, what looked to be a bullet lazar from star wars, into the head of the security mechs, which proceeded to self-destruct and drop the Thermal clip in its gun. This was what pros did. What Shepard did, she was trained for this. Then she moved from her protection to the stairs where the mechs was, picking up the dropped thermal clip then hustling up the set of stairs. 

“ Shepard, Good job, Up the stairs you’ll find yourself in a room, your modified and improved armor is in a locker, and while we have a minute, Ill introduce myself” Shepard let out a soft sigh then started processing the voice, woman’s, With an English accent. Not British but English, soft and pure, but with the demanding leading tone Shepard was being given at every term. “I’m Miranda Lawson, head of the team that's been rebuilding you for the last two years. “
Shepard's heart fell against her ribs, she had to force herself to keep walking, towards the room with her armor. Two years, that was a long time, it had only felt like a few minutes to her... Was Garrus still around, was the turian doing alright. Was he taking care, did she have a funeral, did he go?  Questions flooded to her mind but she didn't dare ask.   Miranda probably wouldn't answer anyways.
The locker held black and red body armor, legs, and arms, gloves , the armor was made of a good bullet resistant carbon fiber, Light but strong. Good choice, The N7 logo was branded across her right breast the little red triangle between the N and the 7 reminded her of a simpler time, When the reapers didn’t attack. There was a white stripe that went over the shoulder plates. The boots had the magnetic cleats she remembered, space walks.  The neck had a section where you could connect a helmet, also for space walks or when you couldn’t breathe the air. She let out a satisfied hum and pulled the suit on before re gripping her gun and moving.  Down the hallway she moved up more stairs then down another hall way before being stopped.
         “Shepard, is that?! You’re alive?! Shepard! Help me!” heavy steps echoed through the hall and the woman looked to stare at the window, a middle aged man banging his hands against the glass. “Help me! Help me!”   The man repeated over and over before turning to face his foe. A heavy mechs, which quickly unloaded bullets into the man.
Red splattered against the glass and she cringed shaking her head then moved away pulling out of the hall and onto a balcony.
An open room listed below  with a door on the opposite wall “ Shepard, use that grenade rocket to blast the mechs away”  Shepard did as told, waiting for the mechs then blowing them to oblivion. 
The entire time Shepard was given orders and followed them through taking every turn grabbing the guns she was told. The woman just followed, she ran to the open ness of the over pass bridge to meet another security officer, Jacob, who was fighting mechs.  She moved and helped him out then told him to come along as she went through the passes, picking up the second doctor on her team.  Wilson.  Then finally they went to the shuttle bay.
         Mechs littered the room, in their crouched down position of stairs.  Her hand held up to stop the other two from following before she held the gun up to her aim steadying the aim then pulling the trigger. The bullet passed through a Mech in stairs and the other 4 around it flung to life. Standing up then droning “Hostiles detected” in their robot voices in sync.  Tossed into the fire Shepard shot taking out mechs with the other two men behind her, moving down a set of stairs and checking for more. Picking up thermal clips before heading up the west side of the stairs more mechs. Taken out quickly. Shot and exploded, tossed with Jacobs biotic abilities before they were gone.
         “Shepard, before we go any further” Jacob mumbled causing the woman to turn “I need to tell you who we work for. “
         “S*** Jacob this isn’t the time”
         “She needs to know, and if we’re going to walk with her she’s got to have our trust and trust us!”
         “Fine but it’s your funeral “Wilson hissed in annoyance.
         Their conversation made her uneasy but she stared forwards till Jacob spoke again.
         “This facility is Cerberus, We were the ones to find you and rebuild you. “
         Shepard just stiffened then relaxed “fine, let’s just get on the shuttle and go I’ve had enough of this place to last a life time”

Then the voice came over, but it wasn’t an inter com, it was behind her, English, and leading “or two in your case” Then a shot rung next to Shepard’s ear. Vibrant purple eyes going wide then staring forwards to Wilson whose mouth was bubbling with blood. Then the bald man toppled forwards and gurgled spilling the red liquid across the floor. “He hacked the mechs out to kill you. “
“Never liked him in the first place” Shepard had whispered.
However, the African American male across from Shepard still stared in shock with gold eyes that were wide. “Wilson? He was helping us” Jacob seemed to stutter.
“He knew if he didn’t help us id probably get the drift and kill him” Shepard said checking her gun then placing it against her back clipping it into place on her armor. 
Then Jacobs face relaxed and he nodded turning to the shuttle doors “we should go. “

“We need to run some tests” Miranda mumbled looking over a data pad.
“Come on Miranda I can vouch for Shepard’s battle tactics”
“Fine but we need to run mental test.”
“Fine, Shepard back on Virmire you had to leave a member behind”

“ Ash, I didn't take leaving her behind lightly, I left a friend on Virmire that day and I didn’t take that day lightly. “ Shepard mumbled scowling a bit and hugging her self
“I’m not trying to criticize your decision “Jacob mumbled “You’re a damn hero in my books”
“Let’s try something more Recent, You had a partner”
Shepard cut the woman off “Garrus, A Turian, “she mumbled scowling at the shuttle floor “I told him to go when we were on the Normandy, and I didn't even tell him goodbye.”

Just another ruiten mission, why do I always say that before a mission of course it's ruiten haven't done anything yet, it's everything that happens along the way , the choices you make, the paths you chose they turn the ruiten into anything but. Of course, that's how it started,a ruiten mission, answering a distress call, and look where that got me. We were testing out the normandy, Captain Andersons new ship, when a distress call came in, an alliance petrol on Eden Prime  had been attacked, they’d seen something they couldn't explain, whatever it was, it was massive, I hit the ground with my lieutenant, Kaidan Alenko, good kid, loyal, by the book, and a talent for biotics. We came across the lone survivor of the patrol, Chief Gunner Ashley Williams, solider to the core, tough, disciplined, ready to take on whatever came her way, Ashley joined up with us, and took us to the spot where her team had been attacked, that's when we saw it, a ship, like nothing I’d ever seen, its massive, scorching the colony and everything around it, until it blasted away, we followed the destruction to an artifact, a prothean beacon, the colony had dug it up, and whoever attacked must’ve wanted it. Alenko made the mistake of getting to close, it hit him with some type of energy, I grabbed him and threw him out of the way, that when it hit me, hard. Every muscle in my body went rigid, I couldn't move, could barely breath, everything went black, then I saw something, a vision, dream, a nightmare. By the time I woke up, we were halfway to the citadel, and halfway on our way to meet the council, I was expect to explain what i’d seen, Anderson came along, so did Udia, a human councilman, with this heavy weight we were supposed to be able to convince the council.

With this we could convince the council that the ship we’d seen was a threat- and so was the individual behind it. The main suspect behind the Eden Prime Attack Was Sarren- A specter upon the citadel, he’d been seen by a witness on eden prime and there was some evidence that suspected that he wasn’t working alone. But even Udians pointed accusations weren't enough-- They just couldn't believe that one of their chosen elite specters could be guilty of something as massive as this.. They needed proof which meant I needed proof. Fortunately I wasn't alone in my search, Garrus, another turian, Wanted to help.  A top agent for citadel security, despite orders from his higher ups who said he shouldn't get involved, he told me he was suspicious of sarren. And he had some useful leads. More importantly he was willing to share them, that lead me to wrex. The biggest nastiest krogan bounty hunter I had ever seen.He turned out to be more than just ripped. It was his intel that lead to a fugitive who had incriminating evidence on Sarren, the fugitive turned out to be an energetic little Quarian named tali. A tech expert with a knack for hacking she procured some info on sarren. evidence that proved he was dirty. Talis evidence went as proof that put sarren responsible for eden prime and the war ship. was infact his flag ship. But it went much further. sarren was trying to find a way to bring back sentient machines from dark space machines responsible for cleansing the entire galaxy of organic life. These reapers wiped out all life 50000 years ago. Including the protheans . Then disappearing back threw the mass relays to dark space, leaving no trace they had ever been  that explained why sarren was after the beacon and made sense of my nightmare. But not much else.

with this evidence the council reduced sarren as a specter and gave me a specter status. Then Anderson gave me his ship and sent us out to find sarren.

along the way we picked up a scientist named Liara t’soni, daughter of Sarens crime partner she helped me decipher my dream more. Then we went to novaria, a planet known for science expeditions, the planet was frigid and cold, here we found out Sarens partner was doing research on the rachni, a race of aliens that had tormented all of life years ago had been re born… we fought The woman then sent the rachni queen off to her own planet where she promised not to harm any life.  
That moved us to look at more of darren's research operations before landing us on his facility. A place that was looking to cure the Krogan genophage. When Wrex heard of our plans to blow the place up he got angry and hostile. But thanks to ash and kaidan we got him calmed down and to see the sense to why.  that's when we moved.  breaking into the lab and planting our bombs.
Thats where i met the reaper. Sovereign, he was speaking to us. and he made it clear that he had control, and sarren was just a puppet before vanishing.  We confronted Sarren and tried to talk some sense into him, but he wouldn't listen.  I tried to keep him talking so i could get all of my team out, but he left to quickly and i had to make the choice.. It was rough.. But ash stayed behind, i knew i could trust her to set the charges right.  
IT was rough, but we had to keep going. I won't forget leaving a member behind like that. She will live in our minds honorably.

We followed sarren to the prothean planet before meeting a prothean warning ai, then we realized he was going to the citadel where we jumped to in a shuttle. AFter spending allot of time over running the citadel we finally regained control and defeated saren, but sovereign was still hitting hard.  The council was getting most of the attack on the destiny ascension and it was either risky the alliance fleet or the council. ANd i chose the council. Joker, my pilot lead the assault to sovereign and got us the victory.

The citadel was in ruins and there needed to be a new council , and humans were apart of it this time. I chose Anderson as the best fit for the job, he didn't want it, which meant he'd be perfect for it, no admissions in the way. Then, we came to the shake down of geth straglers.
Just another Routine mission.

~Archangel ~
Shepard let out a low sigh looking over at Miranda then at Jacob, she gave an annoyed mumbled before running her finger over the lines of cybernetic scars along her cheeks and jaw.  Everything about this woman radiated Controlled strength and a deadly person when pushed the wrong way Strawberry blond hair that once hung in front of her eyes and down her back was now tied up atop her head in a tight sock bun. Vibrant purple eyes lined with black eyeliner and dusted with grey and red eye shadow, pale cheeks dusted in freckles and blush, a scar marked her lower lip looking like a split lip almost but healed over.  She was tall, 5’9, taller than the brunet woman next to her.  
“Shepard, we should start moving and disabling those mechs and heavy mechs like EDI told us too” Miranda mumbled softly brushing brunet hair from her face then adjusting her grip on her gun, “It’ll help us in the lon-”
“I know what I’m doing Miranda, “Shepard finally cut in, looking back before walking forwards. “Don’t forget I fought the reapers,” Then she moved to a soft jog sliding threw the doors and going down the directed halls, Give it to bands of mercenaries to make their encampment a basic maze.  Doors would slide open and vorcha or Krogan would snap at her, ‘go away freelancers’ that was there cover…   Free lancers, hired arms that weren’t any named band, usually use to get shot by archangel first. Oh boy they were up for a surprise.  Finally the door to the mechs and heavy mechs slid open, data pads and a computer. Shepard gestured Miranda to the computer then moved to the data pad pulling it open to get the holographic computer to open up.
“This is an old system, it’ll be easy to hack, give me a moment Shepard”
the ginger nodded and started sliding lockers together to hack the pad before opening it up completely “ Rerouting the mechs programing to shoot mercenaries “ Shepard mumbled typing in a series of codes “ good to go, hurry up Miranda. “
You could practically feel Miranda role her eyes in annoyance before the computer made the dinging sound to confirm the rewritten codes. “Computers are harder than data pads,” Miranda mumbled before turning back “let’s go.”  
         So they did, moving back down the coursing hallways till they were in the one area where the gun ships were. And the Man they needed to talk to. Shepard moved forwards staring around then speaking “are you the one in charge,?”  She spoke softly looking around.
Then the six bug like eyed alien turned around with the nose that looked like it belonged on a bat “ That’s me, the man telling you freelancers what to do” he rambled and rambled and rambled until shepherd___30 got bored picked up an electrical circuit and shoved it into the man’s body suit. 
“You work too hard “she whispered as the man seized and struggled till he went limp. “Gun ship isn’t repaired “
“Good job, we should probably get out there before they get to archangel. “  Shepard nodded going over the barricade and shooting every merch she could see running over the bridge littered with the bodies of Mercenaries and mechs, blood, motor oil, thermal clips, shells.  Everything you could expect, the house that Archangel had set up in was littered the same way, Shepard took the liberty of blowing up some of the bombs that mercenaries were charging letting them take the blast, and well.. Die.  Then she moved up the stairs and threw the hall taking down those in her path like a war machine.  Finally they entered the room where Archangel had set up.
Shepard wasn’t sure what she was expecting but when the grey turian with the blue paintings along his cheeks and Manticals. Visor over one eye for aim, blue body armor.   His eyes seemed to be as wide as hers, but then hers seemed to be just a bit wider. “Garrus--”
The turian set down his sniper and stepped forwards then another step then another step before quickly embracing The ginger woman  “Shepard, I thought you were dead” he mumbled, she quickly hugged back . Before the turian stepped back, “Look at what we have to deal with his” he mumbled before handing over the gun the woman looked threw the scope before handing back.
            “Looks like they’re preparing the gun… Great chance for them” She mumbled scowling “They’ll send the mechs out next, good luck for them again. Garrus gave a quizzical stare then turned back to see the white robots turning their guns on their creators and firing. That’d keep them occupied. Then Shepard turned away from him and began working on the mercenaries taking them out from the extra height with grace.   Shepard was amazing, Garrus couldn’t help but find himself looking at her then forcing himself to look away.
Then the building shook the sound of copters and engines. Then the over com from the ship broke through “ give up Archangel You are not getting out of there alive”  The gun ship, and the Piolet , Garrus hissed and jumped up from his cover pulling his assault riffle from his back and firing. The ships turrets went off and started firing into the room, the couch ripped up and let fluff and fabric fly everywhere, Shepard cursed slightly and crawled behind a wall along with her companions, but Garrus still shot.
Then he tossed himself behind Cover. As the Loud speaker went off “Come out you coward, let us give you a taste of your own treatment. “
Garrus narrowed his eye then stood up firing again and again and again. But the bullets did nothing to the cover of the ship, within seconds the piolet released a missile that burst through the window opening then slammed into the turian, tossing the man back.
Shepard’s hearing went to the solid ringing the bright lights clogging her vision before she moved, Sound slowly came back. “Garrus?!” she shouted rushing forwards to the turian he was barely there, blue liquid that classed as his blood, pooled around the bird like head, his breathing was rapid but shallow, and his eye moving frantically the visor eye code following it around . 
       “Shepard, That Gun ship is still active!” Miranda called from her shelter.
Shepard gave no s***s though, her hand glowed red before she turned to the ship and swing it back then forwards like a Frisbee, a burst of red energy swirled then slammed into the ship, curling around the shield, then spazing the ship out which quickly spiraled then crashed, Reave, a type of biotic ability that broke down humans nervous systems and shorted out electronics circuits.    Then she looked back to the turian he gasped again, and she just gave a broken pleading look. “Don’t die.” she whispered before holding a bracelet up to her wrist. “Edi we need med vac. now.”
The woman’s voice was broken and frantic, just getting the man she wanted to spend her life with back after being dead for two years. And then he takes a missile to the face.
The Normandy was silent, everyone understood the problems that was occurring, and Shepard was passing back and forth in the com room of the space ship. She was wearing a t shirt that held the Cerberus logo, and some regular pants that the shirt was tucked into, her hair that was pulled up was now hanging loosely around her face, framing the freckles before going down her shoulders and back.  
“Commander,” Jacobs’s voice made its way to her ears and she turned. “We did all we could, patched up the scars, he’s stable but we don’t know when--”
The door behind Jacob slid open with the familiar sound. Shepard and Jacob both looked to the door with a grim expression, which just turned to surprise as the figure in the door moved from the blinding light.
Now bandaged and still bloody, the blue armor that curled up towards his neck was decorated with holes and scorch marks, the turian face that was behind the armor was covered in ridges and red fleshy scars, a band aid covered over what would he his ear, over his Manticals and down his jaw.  “Damn bastards tougher than we thought” Jacob mused before Turing to Shepard. “I’ll leave you two to talk” Jacob then moved pass Garrus and out the door.
The turian moved up to Shepard then leaned against the table. “How do I look, they won’t give me a mirror.”  He was giving a playful smirk, as well as he could smirk.
“well damn Garrus, you’ve always looked bad, just slap some face paint on there and no one will be able to tell”  She grinned back at him trying to make light.
This earned a laugh from a turian, then a groan of pain. “Damn, Shepard, don’t make me laugh, my face is barely holding together as it is. “
“It’s good to have you back” the woman mumbled moving over to him and gently placing a hand on the non-sacred bleeding side of his face. The alien was tall, 6’ 8 a whole foot taller than Shepard, but she still took the effort to stand on her toes and gently touch him, His skin was coarse, like a lizards, but soft to her.  Turian reminded the woman of c***atoos, with ant like manacles that hung around their cheeks and mouth, they had horn like objects that stuck towards the back of their head like a c***atoo's feathers down. Their eyes were small in dark areas and their noses were more compressed in. But for some reason Shepard found this turian the most handsome man she had ever met. And he was back, not dead. Injured. But living.   If she was going to walk into hell with Cerberus at least she'd be doing it with him.  “Remind me never to take you for granite, and next time I try and send you off in an exploding ship, remind me to tell you I love you”
“Always.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.