Barely Escaped | Teen Ink

Barely Escaped

By S34Ch1ld, Springfield, Missouri
S34Ch1ld, Springfield, Missouri

Author's note:

This an assignment for my high school English 3 class, so here you go.

I’m trapped, I can’t see, I’m hurt, bleeding, cuts everywhere, it hurts. They’re coming… I hear their footsteps walking towards the door. Why do they do this? What are they going to do today? They can’t possibly find something new to do after 7 years of this…

The door slowly creaked open.

Oh no... Why me? I still can’t see and I feel like I don’t want to see. What is happening? I hear the whirr of something like a chainsaw and smell fuel.

“No no no no no no no no please no don’t do this!!” A young boys voice comes from the other side of the room “NO, NO PLEASE!!” He pleads.

Suddenly, there's screaming somewhere else in the house. The person drops the chainsaw and runs off to see what’s going on. This is my chance! I’ve been waiting for years for a distraction. Over the past week, I’ve loosened up my bonds without them noticing. I get out of them and take off the blindfold. I blink slowly, trying to get used to light and color after about a month without it. The kidnapper took away my seeing privileges when I refused to… you get the jist of it. I notice the little boy, he’s still crying, also blindfolded. He looks to be about five to seven years old with what looks like pure white hair when clean. I begin to untie him, but he tries to scream. I quickly cover his mouth.

“Shhh, it’s okay, don’t scream, I’m going to try and get us out of here, I’m the other person they kidnapped,” I say as I slowly uncover his mouth and finish untying and taking off his blindfold. He looks so young, too young. “Can you walk?” I ask the young boy. He silently shakes his head no, still traumatized, I scoop him up into my arms and peek out the door. There’s nobody there and there’s still screaming. I look both ways down the hall. The direction toward the screaming has a turnoff point, connecting to another hall. The other direction leads to a door. It seems to lead outside! I quickly and silently run to that door, the young boy still clinging to me. Once I go out that door, I find myself in a greenhouse, the only door is the one I came through.

“WHERE ARE THOSE LITTLE S----!?” the kidnapper yells from down the hall. I start to panic, no escape in sight. No, I thought, I can’t go back! I set the young boy down before grabbing a large gardening tool to smash one of the glass windows of the greenhouse. I could hear the kidnapper barreling down the hall, realizing that they must have heard the glass breaking, I grab the little boy to jump out the window before the man grabs my legs. I screamed and dropped the boy, yelling at him to run. I struggle, getting more cuts on my arms and sides.

“Let me GO!!” I scream as I kick him in the face, and fall through the window.

“You little--!!” he screeches.

“Freedom!” I squeal as I’m running away. Once we reach a safe place in the woods, I stop for a moment to breathe. I look around for the little boy. I hear soft crying in the distance, so I walk that way. The smell and taste of the fresh air were amazing. The place we were in smelled of blood, body odor, mold, and some other unpleasant things. I found the child up in a tree. I climb up next to him and held him close, letting him cry.

“Come on kiddo, we need to keep moving so they don’t find us,” I say softly to him. He sniffles and nods. I climb down the tree with him clinging to my back like a koala, running further into the woods once I reached the ground.

I put together a small fire to keep us warm. “So…” I mutter, trying to make conversation. The child immediately starts sobbing and jumping up and down, yelling “I’m free! I’m free!” Then he jumps into my arms, crying harder and saying, “Thank you,” repeatedly. I hold him close and pet his hair until he stops crying. “Do you have a name, or are you nameless like me?” I ask him softly, he became really quiet.

“I don’t have a name either…” He says quietly, I hug him closer.

“It’s okay, let's make up our name right now,” I say softly to him.

He sniffles, “Really?” I nod.

“You look like a… Luke.” I say to him.

He giggles at the name, “Like Luke Skywalker!”

“Exactly like Luke Skywalker,” I say to him. I sit there and wonder what I should name myself, holding young Luke in my arms. “Will you be okay on your own by the fire Luke? I’m going to attempt to find food for us,” I say as I stand up and stretch. He sits down and waits.

“I’ll be fine Kara.” He pauses, realizing what he had called me. “O-oh. Sorry, I named my favorite bunny stuffie that before…”

“I love it,” I say to him, Kara, what a nice name. “Are you sure you’ll be fine on your own?” he smiles up at me and nods. I give him a little pat on the head before stepping away from the fire.

I walk a short distance and find a riverbank. I look around at my surroundings, then spot a sharp rock, that looks sort of like an arrowhead, on the ground. Bending down to pick it up, I hear leaves rustling nearby. I look up and see a medium-sized rabbit hop out. It hops towards the water to take a drink. I slowly move around to the backside of the rabbit, pausing any time it looks over to me. I slowly sneak up to it, holding the rock in my hand, ever so slightly shaking. I’ve never killed anything before. I get right behind it, then stab the rabbit in the side, hoping to kill it instantly. I don’t want it to suffer like I had to every day. Thankfully I hit it in the right spot, and it dies quickly. I shudder as I grab its lifeless body and wash it in the river. I repeat to myself silently, “It’s for your survival and for his survival.”

I walk back to the fire. Luke doesn’t notice me at first and he’s talking to himself, assuming he’s praying. I let him finish before I walk up to him. “I’m back, and I have food!” I say excitedly.

“Yay!” He yells as he jumps up. I begin to cook the rabbit, still in shock that I had to kill the animal. Never again… Once I finish cooking it, I split it up evenly with the washed sharp rock that I found earlier. I hand Luke half of it, and I took half. Luke immediately begins to gobble it up. I don’t blame him, I’m starving too. By the time he’s eaten his portion, I had about half of mine left.

“Do you want the rest of mine Luke? I’m full.” I’m not really full, but I know that he will need it more than me.

“Thank you, Kara!” He giggles as he takes the last of my portion. As soon as he finishes eating, he yawns and stretches.

“Are you sleepy?” I ask softly. He nods as he lays down in my lap. I lay down with him next to the fire, but not too close so it doesn’t burn us, just enough to keep the two of us warm. I yawn and begin to close my eyes. I hear Luke say, “Thank you.” before the world goes dark.