The Chronicles of Derick McCoy | Teen Ink

The Chronicles of Derick McCoy

By psyhco SILVER, Colton, California
psyhco SILVER, Colton, California

faster, must go faster

Author's note:

It's a little on the short side, but I plan to add more short books to make this a series.

Derick McCoy had just stepped off the huge cruise ship when his half-sister tackled him in a hug. “Hey not so hard, you’re gonna break me one day,”
“I don’t care, you’re finally here! I can’t wait to show you around.” Derick was tall for a seventeen-year-old scrawny kid with black hair, green eyes, and a scar from his right eyebrow to his collar bone. Today he was wearing a grey shirt and black jeans with combat boots to top it all off.
“So how have you been? I heard that you might have a boyfriend now,”
She stands up straighter with a slight blush “shut up!” his sister’s name was Melany; she was fourteen with red hair, freckles, green eyes, and only came up to his chest.
“So what’s his name and when can I meet him?”
“Not telling and never,” she then turned away from him and said, “hurry up before we miss the dilophosaurus feeding!” he follows his little sister as she walks down the dock, passing hundreds of adults and small children that roam the parks walk ways.
They walk into an enclosed area of the park and take a seat in one of the many benches in front of the stage. A ten-foot-tall dilophosaurus steps out, making soft hooting cry’s like an owl, it raises its crested head tensely as a man steps out on the other end and holds up a squealing piglet, he places it down and it runs as fast as it can away from the trainer. The dilophosaurus chases after the poor animal with a terrifying shriek as it traps it in a corner. With a thrust of its head, the lightly feathered carnivore picks up the pig. As it raises it head to kill it, he can see it clearly for the first time. It had red frills on top of its head with backward curved teeth and dark purple eyes; the creature had dark green skin with thin yellow strips and black, hair like feathers running along its spine. It ripped pieces of the pig off of its body and swallowed the chunks whole; blood was dripping from its jaws when it turned to look at him.
He could tell that it was intelligent, it was evaluating him, he never looked away and neither did it, till the trainer snapped his fingers. His sister leans over and quietly says, “It likes you; it only does that with the trainers,”
“What’s its name?” he asks her quietly.
“Ned.”

Derick and Melany had just left the small stadium when their father walked up to them through the large crowd.
“What are you doing here Derick?”
“Nice to see you to dad,” is all he says to their father. He was a skinny man with dull, rust red hair and blue eyes; he had freckles and small scar on his lip from when he kissed a tree to hard when he was three.
“Answer the question.”
“Mel told me to come; she said that she really missed me so I came.”
“How did you get here? I don’t remember seeing your name on the boat list,”
“And?”
His father didn’t like him much; he did not go down the path that everyone else had. Instead of Harvard he chose community, and he chose his own life instead of his dad’s. He turned to Mel and said, “Why didn’t you tell me? I would have gotten him here.”
“That’s a load of bull!” Derick says tersely.
“I know you listen to my phone calls dads so don’t even try to play the nice guy.”
Derick smirks a little at that, then says, “I don’t need your permission to be here,”
“Why?”
“Because Mom has custody of me and you can’t tell me what do.” Derick said irritably.
“Fine but I don’t want you crying to me if you get bit.” He says in a matter of fact manner,
“I’m not going to.” Derick says angrily.
Their father leaves them there in the middle of a large group of people. So his sister tells him, “Come on the cells are this way.” She begins to walk away and he calls out as he follows her, “Cells for what?”
She leads him to a building with large Plexiglas rooms with different colored dilophosaurs either sleeping or running in laps in them. Derick walks up to the one called Ned, it stops running around in circles and stares at him breathing heavily. he stares back and says to Mel without looking away “Tell them to open it a little.” Mel tells the guards to open up a spot for Derick. When they open, it he sticks his hand through slowly; it sniffs his hand then presses his frills into it, then yawns loudly and takes a small nip at his fingers. Derick stumbles back a little, trying to keep his fingers, and falls, hitting his head on the floor.
“What the heck was that?” Mel was standing over him with her arms crossed in anger, his head hurt and the room was spinning but he wasn’t in the building with the cells, he was in the infirmary. There was a boy standing in the corner of the infirmary, “I touched it and it tried to bite me, I rather like my fingers so I away really quick. Is that your boyfriend in the corner?” He asks, easily distracted. The boy looked up from his book and said “what’s it to you?”  Melany just dropped her arms with a whimper, “I’m her brother who happens, to be able to feed you to a ten-foot-tall dilophosaurus, so talk or I’ll have to chase you.” The boy looked scared at that and said, “Y-You’re bluffing, you’re no older than I am” Mel turned and said, “No he isn’t.” as she presses her hand against her head. Derick got up and stood at his full height, holding his head for a second then walked over to the boy he towered over. “Be nice and I won’t deck you,” he said as he cracked his knuckles while the young boy looked very scared, “I-I’m sorry, I’m Ian Jekyle.” he had short brown hair with brown eyes and freckles; he was shorter than Mel but he looked like he would cause trouble for her. “I’m Derick, and is your father or mother a doctor?” He asks, jumping subjects.
“Yeah, m-my father is.” Derick turned to Mel with a smile. “Doctor Jekyle? I met him on the ship.” She blushed and looked down a little, knowing she will have to talk to him later about embarrassing her. Then he turned back to the boy, “You hurt her, you get hurt twice as much. Got it?” he growled threateningly,
“Got it.” He said nervously.

Derick woke up in the hotel room next to his sister. On the floor. He sat up and rubbed his head then walked to the window to see the park deserted. “Strange,” he walked over to the coffee machine and started making two cups of coffee with extra creamer and sugar after he woke his sister up and handed her the cup, “How did we get on the floor?” he asked when she sat up groggily.
“The doctor gave you sleeping pills and when you took one you said that we should go back to the room, and then you didn’t even make it to the door and I got tired of dragging you, which didn’t work so well you damn boulder, so I fell asleep on you.”
“Ok? And does the park have a repair day or something?” he asks,
“No, why?” she asked tiredly.
“Because there is no one outside at all.”
There was a tapping at the door and a soft hooting sound… like an owl.
“Stay here.” Derick said as he walked towards the door, a knife from the kitchen in hand, and looked through the peep hole; outside was a dark green arm with thin yellow strips. He opened the door and Ned was standing in the door way with a jacket in its mouth, it was Derick’s jacket that he had taken off on the boat. He held out his hand and Ned dropped the jacket in his hand, Mel was standing behind him and she said, “Why is he out of his cage, and why does he have a jacket?”
“It’s my jacket. I want to know how he found me.”
“ They do have a powerful sense of smell.” Mel says as she edges away from the dinosaur. The dilophosaurus walked in with its head down looking from left to right and sniffed loudly, probably searching for scraps. Then there was a loud roar and the window shattered from the force, Ned arched his neck and hissed angrily towards the gaping hole that was a window. Derick ran over and looked outside. Just under his room’s window was a small looking T-rex, but its arms were longer.
“There’s a midget Rex outside!”  he says awe struck, his sister ran over and looked out. “But that’s not possible, the Nano Rex is supposed to be on the other side of the island.” She ran over the computer and started typing things in, after a short while her face went pale, “Someone shut off all of the fences and doors around the park, the cameras are down to. Whoever it was made sure that no one would stop them.” She said slowly at first but picks up speed towards the end.
“Could it be a system failure?” he asks,
“No, if it was the phones would be out to, but they still work,”
“Who could have done it?”
“I don’t know but they had to have been working here for some time, or got the trust of someone close to the security team.” She says after a pause to think.
“We have to leave now,” Derick started walking towards the door with Ned following him.
“Is there an armory?” he asks as he pulls on his jacket.
“Yeah, but it’s by the Stegosaurs about a mile from here.”
“Then let’s go, just stay close to me.” They left the building from the fire exit on the opposite side of the building and started heading south, towards the stegosaurus pens.

They have been walking for five minutes when they heard an odd growl, Ned raised his head and sniffed before growling back. “We need to run now,” was all Mel said as her face paled, “That was the call of the Raptors.” Derick didn’t waste time as he grabbed his sisters hand and took off running. but the Raptors were gaining fast, they had jumped from the top of the smaller buildings and bushes nearby. He dropped and swept his leg behind him, rolling to his left in the process and tripped the lead Raptor, that made the others fall on top of each other.  Derick barely had time to stand up when a fourth raptor jumped on his back, he fell to the floor and rolled before the six inch claws could sink in between his shoulder blades.  Derick stood and ran as fast as he could almost passing his sister until she grabbed his arm and pulled him right. Ned was following close behind when a raptor pounced on it, then another and another.
Ned let out an awful cry as he fell, Derick locked eyes with it before it died to the long sickle blade of the Raptor’s claw. Derrick turned and ran after his sister with tears in his eyes, he passes her and jumps into the armory’s doorway and stands there waiting for his sister, once she was in, he closed the door. The Raptors, which came up to knee height and covered in brown feathers, slammed into the three-inch steel door.
“What do we have Mel?” he asked as he turned on the lights
“Fast acting tranquilizer and a few high powered cattle prods. Oh, and two pistols.” She says tossing him her keys as she heads for the back of the small, lengthy building.
Derick walks over and grabs one tranq gun, one cattle prod, and as many tranquilizer darts as he can carry. On his way out he pockets the pistol behind the broken glass case.
“Come on let’s go,” They both leave the armory through the back door, cattle prod first, when they hear the Nano-Rex roar and feel the ground shake.
“How good are the eyes?” Derick asks as he puts a dart in his gun.
“Excellent, unfortunately, and fast to we have to get somewhere high and tranq or kill it,”
Derick looks around and starts climbing one of the deactivated electric fences till he is at the top.
“How long does the tranq take?” he asks as his sister follows him up.
“Few seconds, its four times more powerful than the stuff that takes down elephants.”
Derick whistles as loud as he can to get the Nano-Rex’s attention. Fortunately, it works; unfortunately, it works. The angry dinosaur comes running at the sound. He shoots it just under the hole that is its ear and watches it stumble then fall with a loud crash as it crushes one of the straw covered bathrooms.

After the Nano-Rex fell, he and his sister climbed down from the fence, “Come on, we have to leave and see if anyone is still out here. Do you have anything like a safety center?”
“Yes but it’s another mile away, and the raptors aren’t gone,” she says nervously.
“I know the raptors are still there but we need to get to everyone first.” He says to her confidently,
“Ok then let’s go.” She says after a moment of indecision.
Derick started running in the direction his sister told him, towards the east, and after a short jog he comes across a flipped over ATV. He walked over and investigated the crash and found a med kit and a duffle bag full of money and a small black flash drive.
“I think that this belonged to the guy that destroyed the park,” he says lifting the bag of money.
“What makes you say that?” she asked,
“There is a flash drive and about a million in this bag, maybe Dad can tell us if he saw someone that had this.” He says picking up the bag as his sister tosses a second first aid in it.
“Ok then, let’s take it with us. We are almost there just a few hundred yards.”
She starts running and Derick follows her to the main walk way that leads to the shelter. Once they get there they hear quiet sobbing from inside. Derick knocks on the door and says “Hey can you let us in please?”
The door opens slightly to the face of a scared Ian, “W-what are you doing here?” he asks,
“Ian, open the door and let us in please.” Mel was now standing in front of Derick, pleading.
“N-no y-you n-need to g-go now.” He then begins to shut the door but Derick sticks his foot in the crack. “Open. The door. Now.” He says menacingly. Ian tries to close the door harder so Derick sticks him with the cattle prod. As Ian squirms on the floor Derick and Mel walk in and close the door. On the other side of the room is there father, standing with in a large group of attendants.
“H-how did you get here? I thought you two were dead.”
“Thanks for looking for us.” Derick says as their father runs up to Mel and gives her a hug, and looks at Derick with a look of distaste. “What are you doing with Scotts bag?”
“Because he was the one that sabotaged the park!” he says irritably,
“What do you mean?” he asks,
“We found his bag next to an ATV and it has about a million dollars in cash and a flash drive.”
They hear a gun click and turn around to see Ian holding a pistol, the second pistol missing from the glass case.
“Why couldn’t you just leave it alone? Now I have to kill everyone here because of you and I won’t go back to jail, I won’t go back to my father. “Derick pauses with the dart gun behind his back.
“What do you mean Ian,” he asks as he puts the cattle prod down slowly.
“This was my chance to escape him, all he said to do was to put the flash drive in the computer and he would help me leave my father behind!” he says hoarsely and loudly as tears stream from his eyes. The gun is shaking violently in his hands as Derick says, “Its ok, you can leave him behind, we don’t blame you, let us help-”
“NO,” Ian shouts, cutting him off. “YOU CAN’T HELP ME NO ONE CA-”
Ian is cut off by Derick shooting a loose beam above him, causing it to fall and knocks him out cold. He crumbles to the ground limply while Mel spits on his unconscious form, cursing him loudly.
“Alright, come on everyone, follow me. We’re getting out of here.” he says tersely as he slings the small boys body over his shoulder.
Derick walked towards the door and opens it as people rushed to follow him, there were a lot of thank you’s and hugs and a few kisses, one on his lips from a cute blond girl named Hannah. Then when they got to the dock they all got on the last cruise ship and started to leave when they heard loud splashing. Derick ran over to see a Mosasaur chasing them off of the left side, he shot it just below the eye and the beast began to slow and sink.
“You think it’ll be ok?” Mel asks worriedly,
“Sure it will, probably” Derick says as he mutters the last part under his breath as he lays Ian on an empty bench.
“What are we going to do now?” He asks his sister as she leans against the railing,
“I don’t know but we are as broke as a joke told by Uncle Ted at the moment.” She says as she looks up at the setting sun.
“I don’t think we are bankrupt yet.” Derick says as he opens the duffel bag he still had. Her face lights up with pure joy at the sight and hugs him very tightly with a squeal.