A Life in Hiding | Teen Ink

A Life in Hiding

By Bkertai, Bremen, Indiana
Bkertai, Bremen, Indiana

Author's note: It's cut short to what I wanted it to be, due to time limits in class.

This story is a little long, sorry. Also the ending is kind of lame because I had to end it due to time limits.

“John!” Billy screamed. His comrade was no where to be seen. The last he knew he was holding up the train driver. The rain pounded down on the young outlaw in the dark of night. He was cold and wet and just wanted to take the loot home, well what they called home. It was really just a cold dark shack in the middle of the desert. John was his best friend. John was years older than him, but acted twenty.

Billy was starting to panic. He was just a young boy only sixteen. Billy rode to the back of the train hoping John would be waiting for him. He wasn't. He rode back to the front of the train. John was standing there holding his gun. He pointed it toward Billy.

“John?” Billy asked confused. John pulled the trigger. The silver colt went off with a bang. Billy froze. He heard a grunt behind him. He turned around and saw a man fall off his horse behind him. Billy's heart was racing.

“Billy, let's get out of here,” John instructed Billy. Billy nodded his head. The rain bounced off his hat. Billy turned his horse to the side and extended his hand to help John onto the back of his horse. John grabbed his hand just as they both heard a loud bang. They both knew the sound of a shot gun. John's face froze. Billy looked confused at him. Worry and fear spread across John's face. John stared at Billy with dead eyes. “Run,” John whispered. His voice hoarse and cold. John collapsed to the ground. Billy got a quick glimpse of the best outlaw hunter in the west. Billy's heart raced in his chest. His best friend just died, right in front of him. He didn't know what to do. The man raised his shotgun at Billy. Billy turned his horse and kicked it hard in the sides with his spurs. His horse took off with incredible speed. His horse grunted as its hooves thundered on the wet ground. Billy didn't care where he was going as long as it was away from there.

Jessie Woodson James, just called Jessie James waited outside the bank for his brother Frank. This was the best heist yet. It was simple. All Jessie had to do was wait outside with the wagon ready to tear off the second Frank came back with the money. Jessie wore his hat low over his eyes. Him and his brother have become very famous for train and bank robberies. Many people wanted them caught. They even had their own wanted poster. Jessie was very proud of the wanted poster. It was an honor for an outlaw to have a wanted poster. The greater the reward for their arrest the more honorable. Jessie listened to the common town commotion. The drunks fell out of the saloon doors going home to sober up, just to drink more later that night. Women were walking by going to the stores and what ever else they needed to do. Jessie watched as the women walked by admiring them. Another gorgeous woman walked by. She was prettier than any woman he's ever seen. He got down from the wagon and stood next to it. It was just an old wooden farm wagon pulled by two beautiful draft horses.

“Hey,” Jessie smooth talked. The girl looked at him. Her curly blond locks draping around her face. She smiled. She was indeed very pretty. She had chocolate brown eyes. “I'm John Treeny,” Jessie lied. She stepped closer to him.

“I'm Mary White,” she charmed with a sweet voice. Jessie stared at her. He was lost for words in this woman's beauty. The woman stroked his cheek softly. A cheesy grin spread across his face. The Siren grabbed Jessie by the hand and led him behind the wagon. She took off his hat. She either did not care or did not recognize the criminal. Her cherry red lips pressed against Jessie's. She was a succubus woman.

“Jessie! You daft boy! Get in the wagon!” Frank screamed at his naive young brother. Jessie took his hat from the woman and ran to the wagon coach. Jessie jumped onto the wooden bench as Frank ran to the wagon. Frank jumped into the back of the covered farm wagon with two sacks filled with gold coins. Jessie flipped the reins and clicked with his tongue. The horses took off to a dead run. Jessie hollered. The wagon bumped along through the town. No one knew what was happening.

Mary White knew what had just happened. She also knew who she had kissed. She wondered what it was like to kiss an outlaw. It wasn't any different than kissing any other man, truthfully. She quickly went to the sheriff. Sheriff Henry Carter knew of these men and wanted them dead. He quickly saddled his horse and took off after the brothers.

His horse was a quick quarter horse. The two draft horses had no chance against the quick quarter horse. Henry Carter was thirsty for blood. He had a personal embroil with Frank. Frank had robbed him clean in one of the boys' train robberies. Henry Carter had his trustworthy colt on his waist in its hand crafted leather holster that his wife had bought him for Christmas. Henry's brown and white horse ran up along side the wagon. Henry aimed his pistol at the boys. He was on the left side of the wagon. His gun was pointed at Jessie. Jessie didn't even look at him, he knew he was there. He flipped the reins again.

Jessie yelled, “Ha!” The horses ran a little faster. Henry was persistent and wasn't going to give up. Frank crawled onto the bench next to Billy.

“Turn right!” Frank yelled over the giant horses' pounding hooves. Billy pulled right on both reins. The horses turned right. They were pulling away from Henry. Henry kicked his horse again. The quarter horse quickly caught up to the wagon. Henry aimed his colt at Jessie's head. Frank saw this and shoved his brother. Jessie, caught by surprise lost his balance and fell off the wagon. He hit the ground hard on his right left shoulder. He rolled a couple times as Henry's horse ran over him. Put his elbows up to protect his face as the horse ran over him. Jessie heard the shot at the same time the horses back right foot stomped on Jessie's gut. Jessie immediately threw up on the sandy ground. The horse had stepped on his stomach. Jessie looked back at the wagon as Frank fell off the right side of the wagon. Frank stumbled to his feet and started running away. Henry fired another shot and killed Frank. He shot him right in the back. Jessie couldn't believe what he just saw. His brother, best friend, just died in front of him. Jessie couldn't breathe. Their was a tightness in his chest. Anger spread through Jessie. He grabbed his revolver that had been resting in the top part of his pants. He quickly aimed at Henry. He pulled the trigger without thinking twice. The draft horses, already spooked, took off. Henry fell off his horse with his hand over his heart. Jessie shot him right below the heart. Jessie ran to his brother.

Frank was lying on the ground with a hand over his spleen. His shirt and hand was all bloody. He coughed up some blood.

“Frank,” Jessie mumbled scared, sad, and angry. Frank looked at his younger brother. They were only five years apart. Jessie nineteen and Frank twenty four.

“Run, go far away from here. Stay in the shadows. If you get the chance go to Mexico. You won't be caught there. Stay alive,” Frank told Jessie. Frank took out his beautiful silver 22 colt with a marble handle. It was his prized possession. Frank handed it to Jessie. A tear rolled down Jessie's cheek. Frank's eyes slowly started to close.

“Frank, no,” Jessie cried. He loved his brother. Frank's eyes closed. Jessie stood and walked over to the body of Henry Carter. His horse was standing by him. Henry was not dead, only dying. “Die you son of a,” Jessie growled as he pulled the trigger of the colt. Jessie shot Henry Carter in the head. He was dead, like Frank. Jessie was furious. He couldn't think clearly. He jumped onto the dead sheriff's horse. Jessie kicked the beast and rode away. He was heading toward the nearest town.

The nearest town was a small town. Not many people came there, but there was one particular famous, wanted, boy who was there. William Henry Mcarty, Billy the Kid, was there in the bar drinking. He wasn't old enough to drink, but no one could tell how old he was with his hat so low over his eyes. No one recognized him. He sat there drinking whiskey mourning over his dead friend. Another famous boy, Jessie James, road into town. Jessie too was mourning over his dead friend. His brother had helped him rob so many places. Jessie thought, he could never rob anywhere by himself. What was he going to do if he couldn't rob anymore places and bring the money to the poor people, Jessie thought. His life was completely turned around.

Jessie slumped into town. He tied the horse to a post in front of the bar. He tromped into the bar. He walked up to the bar table and sat down with his hat hanging low over his eyes. He didn't want anyone to recognize him. He asked for a bottle of tequila. The bar tender handed him a glass and a bottle of tequila. Jessie slowly drank the hard drink.

Billy sat four seats away drinking a bottle of whiskey. Billy didn't know what to do with his life. He thought he could maybe go work on some farm somewhere, he was still young. He could also mine gold in California. He didn't want to though. He wanted to rob banks and live on edge. It was better than working in a lousy farm or spending your entire day in the dark smelly caves. He couldn't go home. He remembered how his dad died when he was young and just before he left his mother died. He had no one to go home to anyway. His brother wouldn't want him around. He was lucky he wasn't arrested for petty theft. If he got caught with a fugitive around who knows what would happen. He had no where at all to go. His only life was running around with John robbing places. Everyone thought Billy had killed lots of people, but truthfully he hadn't killed anyone. Billy liked to lie and pretend he's killed lots of people to make himself sound scarier, but he hadn't killed a soul. Billy wished he could go back to that night and just shoot the man before he shot John.

Jessie sat starting at the tequila. His brother, the kid he grew up with, the kid who taught him everything, died because of a stupid naïve thing he did. Why couldn't he have just stayed in the wagon, he thought. Things like that happened often and every time they luckily got away, but not this time. Frank had paid the price for a mistake he made. He couldn't go home. What would his mother and father say to him if he came home and they saw that Frank wasn't with him. What would they say when he told them what really happened. First of all, what would they say when they saw him. For sure they knew he was a wanted criminal. How would they not know? The wanted posters of the two were everywhere. Frank said to go to Mexico, but what would he do? He couldn't work on a farm for the rest of his life.

A man charged into the saloon. He looked very tough. He had a black cowboy hat on. His white handkerchief tied around his neck. His dark brown leather jacket over his dirty white shirt. His boots tucked under his jeans. He had a very reliable revolver at his side. He had a scruffy beard and dark black eyes. He was the best known outlaw hunter in the west. He had tracked Billy to the town. Billy and Jessie did not look. They didn't want to bring attention to themselves. It was a simple thing that they both had learned. The man drew his gun. Billy heard him draw his gun and knew that he was found. Billy undetectably put his hand down to his colt. Jessie instinctively put his hand on the handle of his gun. He also had Frank's gun next to his.

“William Mcarty,” the man's gruffly voice called out. Billy swallowed hard. He did not want to die, that was for sure. The man's thumb pulled back the hammer on his revolver. Billy's hand started shaking. He did not want to do this, not now. Jessie listened carefully. The man did not want him. Why did he want this William Mcarty. Who was William Mcarty. He was not a very well known outlaw. Why did this man want him? The mysterious man four seats away from Jessie quickly turned around and fired. The man at the door did not have time to react. He was shot in the chest before he knew it. The man sprinted out of the bar. Jessie wondered who this William was. Why would he be alone? Jessie got up and ran after the outlaw.

Billy ran down the street. He found his horse and quickly untied him. His horse was a mustang that Billy had broke when he was younger. His horse was fast. Billy quickly jumped over the horse's rump onto the saddle on his horse. Jessie slipped onto the first horse he saw. It looked like it was fast and had a light lode. Billy took off at a dead run. Jessie kicked the horse. Jessie was right behind Billy in no time. Billy saw some man riding up behind him. Billy kicked his horse harder. Jessie's farm horse had no chance against Billy's mustang.

“Wait!” Jessie yelled. Billy slowed his horse. Jessie caught up to him.

“Who are you?” Billy asked. Billy was still scared. He didn't know what to do, where to go.

“I'm Jessie James, who are you?” Jessie asked. Billy immediately recognized the name. This man next to him was the famous Jessie James from Missouri. He had heard stories about Jessie and his brother Frank robbing trains and banks. What was he doing here, chasing him?

“I'm Billy the Kid,” Billy told him. John had given him his nickname. John always called him kid and it just stuck. Jessie knew him right away. He was the youngest and most wanted outlaw in the west. He came from Arizona, the last he heard. Jessie couldn't believe what he had just heard.

“What are you doing here?” Jessie asked, “and where is the other guy?”

Billy didn't know how to respond. It hurt too much to say that John died. Billy felt a tightness in his chest. Tears were starting to come to his eyes. Billy was so scared. Did Jessie James want to kill him? “What are you doing here alone?” Jessie asked.

“John... died,” Billy finally tells him. Jessie was surprised to hear that John had died. Billy was alone, just like he was.

“My brother Frank died too, I'm alone too,” Jessie tells Billy. Billy barely heard what Jessie said. Billy was too busy thinking about the man he shot. Had he really killed a man? Where had he seen that man before? Billy thought about the man. Finally he figured it out, he was the man that killed John. Now he was after him. How did he track him all the way from New Mexico?

“Billy!” Jessie called to him. Jessie saw what Billy did not. The man who Billy had shot was following them. He was on a big black Thoroughbred thundering toward them. Billy looked back and saw the man. He had a gun in his hand pointed toward Billy. Billy's heart raced in his chest. Billy kicked his horse harder. His horse snorted and lunged into a faster gate. Jessie did the same. The thoroughbred kept up easily. Billy and Jessie raced across the sand. Billy could barely hear gunshots over the sound of the horses' hooves thundering beneath him. There was no where to hide. Billy saw Jessie race past him. “Follow me!” he yelled. Billy just wanted to get away, so without argument he followed Jessie.

Jessie, on an old farm horse, raced in front. The old horse was tired from the running and could not handle much more. Jessie sensed this because the horse was laboring at the mouth. Jessie didn't have the chance to stop. Jessie urged the horse on. In the distance Jessie could see a cave. It could be filled with who knows what, but it's better than the man chasing them with a gun. Jessie kicked his horse again. His horse used what was left of its strength and ran as fast as it could manage.

Billy saw Jessie was starting to turn a little. At first, Billy could not see where Jessie was going. Billy was nervous. He couldn't see any hiding places. After Billy had faithfully followed Jessie away from what could be cover, he saw the cave. Relief washed over Billy. Jessie ran into the dark cave. Billy followed hoping for the best. The cave ceiling was only inches above their heads. Billy's hat rubbed against the roof of the cave. Jessie and Billy were both very glad that there weren't any stalactite. Billy just looked back and saw the man's horse reared up. The man was dumped onto the ground. His horse took off.

In front of Billy, Jessie's horse reared up too. Jessie hit his head on the ceiling of the cave and fell on the ground. Billy's horse stopped immediately. It tucked in its back legs under neath it and locked its front legs. The horse stopped to a sliding halt. Jessie laid unconscious on the ground. Billy jumped off his horse. He turned it around and slapped it on the butt. The horse took off out of the cave almost running the man over. Billy knew what he was doing, he was buying him time. The man stumbled back to the ground trying to get out of the horse's way. Billy grabbed Jessie by the shoulders and pulled him behind a stalagmite. Jessie was completely out cold. Billy would have left Jessie there if he hadn't saved his life, but he did. He owed it to Jessie. Billy made sure you wouldn't be able to see they were sitting on the ground behind the stalagmite.

Billy listened carefully. He heard the faint light dropping of water further back in the cave. This was most likely a mining cave that had been abandoned years ago. Billy knew a little bit about mining. His uncle left to California when Billy was only seven, to mine for gold. Billy also heard the sounds of the man walking deeper into the cave looking for them. Billy rested his head against the stalagmite. Billy's heart pounded in his ears. He thought that the man could probably hear his heart beating. Billy made sure he breathed slowly, so you couldn't hear him breathing. Billy heard the man pull the hammer back on his gun. Billy knew the instinctive sound of the hammer clicking back into its place. Billy swallowed down his fear. He grit his teeth. He held his breath. The man was right around the corner. He closed his eyes prepared for the worst. He didn't want to die. He was only sixteen years old. Jessie was, young. Billy certainly did not want to die like John. Billy waited for the man to grab his shoulder, or pull the trigger and shoot him. But, he didn't. Billy listened as the man walked away out of the cave. He heard each step echo through the cave. Why didn't he kill him? Billy thought. His heart still pounded in his chest. He peeked his head over the top of the stalagmite. He saw the man walking out of the cave.

Something was different about the man, though. He was walking different with his hand on his chest. The bullet wound was starting to take its affect. The man limped out of the cave. He put his thumb and index finger together forming an almost O. He put them against his lips and let out a high shrill. The big black Thoroughbred ran to the mouth of the cave. The man limply climbed onto the horse's back. He kicked the horse without effort, and the horse ran off.

Billy felt as if a weight had just lifted off his chest. He leaned his head against the stalagmite and laughed. It was a very nervous giddy laugh. Jessie still laid unconscious next to him. After a couple minutes of calming himself down, Billy got up and dragged Jessie under some dripping water. The water dripped onto Jessie's face. It splattered onto his nose. Jessie's eyes snapped open. Jessie looked up at Billy. He could just see the outline of his face in the darkness. It took Jessie a couple seconds to realize who he was. Billy extended a hand out to Jessie. Jessie gladly took his hand. Billy smiled and pulled the cowboy to his feet.

“Thanks kid,” Jessie laughed.

“You have no idea,” Billy laughed along with him. They both walked toward the mouth of the cave. Jessie picked up his hat along the way. Jessie placed his black cowboy hat on his head. He put the brim low over his eyes to block out the sun. They stood outside the cave. Jessie smiled and turned to Billy.

“How would you fancy the idea of us two pairin' up and workin' together?” Jessie asked him. Billy thought about it for a second. He shook the man's hand and smiled.

“I'd love to,” he told him.

The next thing the two outlaws knew they were planning a heist of a big train. They were in an old shack in the Texas desert. It was hot and very dusty. Jessie sat at an old wooden table in the middle of the room. The old wooden chair he sat on was at the verge of falling apart. He was cleaning his brother's gun. Billy looked out the windows. Ever since the cave, he hadn't sat down. He would always look behind him, pace when they were in the shack, or jump at every sound he heard. Billy, you could say, was a nervous wreck. He wasn't like this at first, but after a day or two it started to come back to him.

“Billy, no one is around here, we're in the middle of the dessert, miles from any sign of civilization,” Jessie reminded him. Billy stopped pacing and looked at Jessie for a second.

“You can never be too careful. That man that was chasing me is very good at tracking,” Billy told him nervously. Billy started to pace across the floor again.

“You're wearing down the floor boards, you need to relax,” Jessie told him. Jessie stood up and pulled Billy down into the chair next to him. Jessie still cleaning his gun started telling Billy the plan, “The train will leave at eight o' clock. We will meet it five miles west and cut it off. I will run on the left side and you will run on the right. We will hold the engineer at gun point until he stops the train. You keep the engineer at gun point and make sure no one else comes into the car. I'll go back to the passengers and get the money. There aren't any law people aboard the train, and if for some reason there are, I'll shoot em'. Do you understand?”

Billy nodded his head worried, “Are you sure this will work?” Billy couldn't meet his eyes. Billy couldn't help but think about, he's never killed a soul. The man he shot a couple days back had killed his friend, so he had every right to shoot him. But, on the train everyone was innocent. Could he pull the trigger if he had to? Could Jessie rely on him to kill anyone who tried to stop them? Could he trust himself to kill someone if needed. That was the price of being an outlaw. It was fun running all over the place and having more money than you knew what to do with, but that came with a heafty price. You would have to kill people. Billy hadn't killed anyone yet, and he didn't want to. Jessie for sure had, and didn't think twice about it, but Billy hesitated. Maybe that's what got John killed. Hesitation.

“Yes, it is full proof,” Jessie confirms. Billy looked more nervous then ever. Jessie noticed Billy's expression. “What is it?” Jessie asked. Billy did not want to tell him. The last thing he wanted Jessie to think was that he was a little scared kid.

“Nothing,” Billy told him. Billy got to his feet again and walked to the back bedroom. He picked up his gun and put it in the holster on his belt. So many things were going through his head.

“We will leave in the morning,” Jessie says to Billy. A knot tightened in Billy's chest.

That night Billy barely got any sleep. He laid awake worrying. Billy slowly finally fell asleep.

In the morning Jessie got up early and got the horses ready. Jessie had stole another horse, but this one was fast and strong, unlike the old farm horse. Then, Jessie went into the make shift kitchen and cooked up some left over jack rabbit, that Billy shot yesterday. Billy was very good with his gun. He could shoot a quarter out of someone's hand fifty yards away. He went out shooting to get food and because Jessie was annoyed with his pacing.

Billy woke up to the smell of cooked rabbit. It was a delicious smell. Rabbit meet is tender and juicy. Billy got out of his bed and walked into the kitchen. Jessie put the pan on the table with the rabbit thighs on the pan. Billy licked his lips.

“That looks delicious,” Billy told Jessie.

“I figured a good meal before a train robbery makes a good day,” Jessie explained. Billy nodded his head. He was still nervous, but the rabbit meat was too good not to enjoy. Billy and Jessie dug in. Billy was starved. He tore off the red juicy meat and shoveled it into his mouth. Jessie savored the flavor. He wasn't sure the next time he would get to sit and eat something good. Once both were done they sat in the old wooden chairs. “Well, let's get going,” Jessie interrupted. The knot in Billy's stomach tightened. Billy helped Jessie clean up their stuff and make it look like they weren't there. They got on their horses and rode west. They were going to cut off the train. Billy and Jessie road their horses to the tracks. It was eight fifteen.

“The trains not here yet,” Billy stated.

“It will be, we'll just have to wait,” Jessie told him. Billy stomach was full of butterflies. He felt like he was going to throw up. Billy and Jessie sat on their horses and waited. Not too long later they felt the vibration on the tracks. The train was coming. Billy and Jessie turned their horses and ran a couple feet away by a huge rock formation. They waited for the train to come by.

Once the long locomotive passed the rock, Billy kicked his horse. He dug his spurs into the horse's sides. He leaned forward and held the reins close to his horse's ears. He hissed in the horses ears urging it on. The horse's hooves thundered along with the train. The train raced down the tracks with Billy on his horse speeding along side it. Billy quickly caught up to the front. He pulled out his gun and aimed it toward the engine. Billy could see the man stand up with his hands in the air. Billy turned his horse closer to the engine. This was the fastest train Billy had ever attempted to rob. He was only feet away from the wheels. Billy's heart pounded in his chest. He leaned on the left stirrup. He lifted his right leg onto the saddle. He let go of the reins and jumped.

Jessie waited until the train had passed before he took off. He kicked his horse and raced after the train. His horse sprinted behind the train. Then, he turned his horse to the left. His horse had a little trouble keeping up with the train. His horse ran along side the train. The people in the train dashed to the windows. They couldn't believe what they were seeing. Two men were trying to rob a locomotive. No one had ever attempted to rob a locomotive before. It was known to be “too fast” for a horse to keep up with, but they had not seen Billy and Jessie's horses. Jessie's horse dug its hooves into the dirt and pushed itself forward. Jessie kicked his horse again. He rode his horse to the first passenger car. He leaned on the right stirrup. His horse, knowing that that meant to start angling toward the car. He leaned on the right side of the horse. He tensed his leg muscles and jumped. He pushed off the saddle. Jessie had done this a million times. He knew there were no second guesses or doubts. Once you jumped, you were jumping and there's no going back. Jessie flew in the air. He just caught the side of the train. He hung on for his life. He relied completely on his arm strength. He pulled himself on the inner side of the train. He was standing over the hitch with the track disappearing beneath him. He wasn't nervous at all, he had done this with his brother many times before. He hung on to the handle on the outside of the car. He was being thrashed around between the cars. What was the hold up? Why hadn't Billy stopped the driver yet?

At the last second Billy hesitated. That hesitation lost him a couple inches. He was only three inches short of the handle on the engine. He fell and hung on below it to the side. His feet dangled inches above the ground. He tried to pull himself up, but he couldn't. He wanted to scream. He reached up to grab the handle, but he couldn't reach it. His fingers were millimeters away. He couldn't hold himself up like that any longer. His arm fell back down. He wrapped his arms around the side. He had to reach that handle. He took a deep breath to calm himself down. He reached one one more time using all his effort. His fingers tapped the handle hanging off the side. He grit his teeth and pushed with his left arm. His right hand reached the handle. The engineer hadn't seen him. Billy pulled himself up. He sighed with relief. His heart raced in his chest. He grabbed his gun and bombarded into the cabin.

The engineer was surprised. He froze and stared at Billy. Billy looked mean. He had his hat low over his eyes. He aimed his silver colt at the engineer. The engineer put his hands in the air. Billy out of breath took a few seconds to catch his breath.

“Stop the train!” Billy yelled at him. He reached up and pulled the brake. The train slid to a screeching halt. Billy was relieved. He had done what Jessie wanted. Now, all the engineer had to do was not move for the next couple minutes.

“Thank you Billy!” Jessie exclaimed to himself. He pulled up his handkerchief over his mouth and nose to hide his face. He opened the door that led to the passenger car. All the people stopped what they were doing and stared at Jessie. He had his gun, and Frank's gun. He pointed them at the people. A few women screamed. “Listen up! Hand me all your money and expensive belongings!” Jessie announced. The people terrified for their lives, listened. The women took off their jewelry, and the men took out their pocket watches. All jewelry and watches were made of gold. Jessie smiled to himself. He loved gold. He took the gold and money from the people and stuffed it into a burlap sack. Once that car was done, he went to the next car. He continued through all the car with no trouble. When he was at the last car, something strange happened. The train started again. Its wheels squeaking along the tracks, the mighty engine roaring to live. The wheels turned and with every second picked up speed. Jessie knew right away that something wasn't right, this wasn't apart of the plan. Something happened up front, and Billy was in trouble. Jessie tied the burlap sack shut, ran to the back, threw the bad onto the saddle of his horse, and raced to the front of the train.

Billy's heart pounded in his chest. It had taken a little longer than he had hoped for Jessie to collect the money. He was starting to get nervous. Was Jessie ok, he thought. Billy did not move. He held the gun to the engineer's head and did not take his eyes off him. Billy waited, and waited, and waited, until he saw Jessie ride by signaling that he could leave. He didn't. Billy heard a strange noise and turned around to look. At that second the engineer reached out and grabbed Billy's gun. Billy, unsuspecting it, was caught off guard. The engineer easily ripped the gun from his hands. He froze as the engineer pointed the gun back at him. Billy swallowed hard. Was he going to shoot him? Billy's feet went cold, he felt as if he was going to pass out, faint even. Billy's heart stopped as the engineer got to his feet.

“Now, you listen up boy. You don't just come around here tryin' to rob my train,” he scolded him, while waving the gun around at Billy's face. “Who do you think you are?” he asked. Billy didn't want anyone to die today. There was no reason any of these innocent people on this train needed to die, and he didn't want Jessie or himself to die. Billy quickly, without even hesitating, he lashed out. He tackled the engineer to the ground. He pried his gun from the man's grubby fingers. He sat on top of him with his knees pinning down the man's arms.

“Now you listen up! You do that again and I'll put this here bullet in your head!” Billy yelled at him, bluffing. None of what he had just said was true, and he knew it. He would never shoot this man. He couldn't do it. He just hoped that the man did not know that he was lying. The engineer's face went pale. Billy got off of him and stood. He did not take the gun off of the engineer. He didn't dare take his eyes off him. His hand was shaking and he tried to hide it, but couldn't. The engineer saw that this “boy” was just a boy. He was scared too. He was not a stone cold killer. He would not kill him without hesitation. The engineer knew a little about robberies. He had been warned of them a lot. Jessie James and Frank James were notorious for them. The engineer waited. He knew that Billy was expecting him to attack. He waited.

A few minutes later he watched Billy carefully. Billy took milliseconds to look out the window. The engineer took advantage of this and struck out again. He jumped at Billy. Billy, again, wasn't expecting it. He was knocked to the ground. He hit his back and head on the steel wall of the train. There was a huge gash about Billy's eye. He groaned in pain. The engineer stood over Billy with Billy's gun in his hands pointing at Billy. Billy just laid on the ground. He wasn't quite unconscious, but he wasn't conscious at the same time. He laid on the ground groaning. The engineer made sure he kept and eye on Billy, also at the same time he shifted the train back into gear. The engine grumbled to life. The engineer held the gun pointing at Billy. The train sped up.

Suddenly a man charged through the door. He had two guns in his hands. He pointed them at the engineer. He immediately saw Billy lying on the ground.

“Stop the train now!” Jessie screamed at the engineer. The engineer just pointed the gun he had at Jessie. The engineer did not stop the train. Jessie pulled the trigger and shot the engineer in cold blood. The engineer fell to the ground next to Billy. Jessie reaches over and pulled the break. He whistled really loud. Jessie's horse ran up next to the train. The horse ran a foot away from the train. Jessie picked up Billy and laid him onto the horse's back on the saddle. Jessie grabbed Billy's gun and jumped onto the back of the horse. He landed behind the saddle. He pulled on the horse's reins and turned the horse away from the train. He rode the horse straight to the old cabin. Once he got there he jumped off his horse and opened the cabin door. He picked Billy off the horse and carried him into the cabin. He laid him down in the bed in the back. He quickly got the bad of gold, led his horse to the train off hoof prints and smacked the horse's rump, sending it running in the opposite direction. He gets a small broom and sweeps the sand from the hoof prints and foot prints leading up to the cabin. You wouldn't be able to tell that they had ever been there.

Jessie goes inside to the back room. Billy is lying there. He has a deep gash in his eyebrow. Jessie goes to a water spickett and gets fresh water. He boils the water over the stove. Then he gets some whiskey out of the cabinet. It's old, but it's still alcohol. It will do the job. He finds a cloth. He soaks it in the boiling water. He brings it over to Billy. He rubs the cut with the cloth. Once most of the blood is gone, he gets the bottle of whiskey. He pours the alcohol into the wound.

“Ow!” Billy screams.

“Stop!” Jessie screamed at him. He pinned his head down and continued pouring the alcohol into the wound. Billy screamed something awful. After twenty minute of Jessie soaking Billy's wound with alcohol, Jessie stopped. He found a big bandage and put it over Billy's eye brow. Billy looked ridiculous. He wore his hat to cover it. He looked mad. “What's wrong with you?” Jessie asked.

“I can't believe I screwed up. I failed you,” Billy grumbled.

“You didn't fail anyone,” Jessie told him.

“I did,” he complained. Billy's head hung low in disappointment. Jessie smiled. He patted him on the back.

“Kid, you did just fine,” Jessie told him. Billy smiled ashamed of himself. Jessie patted his back. “We got the money, you are alive, and we didn't get caught. How did you fail? Not all heists will go perfect. If you think that heists will go perfectly, you're in the wrong business,” Jessie explained. Billy thought about it for a minute, he was right. Not all heists, well not really any heists, will go perfectly. He felt ashamed for thinking that a heist would go perfectly.

“I guess you're right,” he laughed to himself.

“You know, I've been thinking, we should go north to live with my cousin during the winter. We could leave here while most northern people move south. The more people who were around, the more likely they would be seen. It was a good idea, but Billy really did not want to go north.

“That would be smart,” Billy grumbled.

“We can leave in two weeks. I can go to town and get supplies we need for the journey. I can also message my cousin. You stay here and may sure no one comes around,” Jessie tells him. Billy watched as Jessie went out front and walked yards away from the cabin. He let out a loud whistle and waited for his horse to come riding up. Once his horse was there he hopped on and rode east toward the town. Billy got up and walked around the cabin gathering all cooking supplies and other things. He stopped by the old dirty mirror. He looked at his bandage over his eye. How could he be so stupid? He took his hat off and laid it on the table in the center of the room.

Jessie rode casually into town. He kept his hat low over his eyes hiding most of his face. It looked a little suspicious, but he couldn't risk anyone recognizing him. He rode into the small town. All the towns around the desert looked the same. They were old and dusty. Jessie found the store and stopped his horse. He tied his horse to the hitching post. He walked inside the store with a pocket full of money. Jessie bought some bandages and cleaning alcohol. He also bought some bottles of whiskey, a pot, and a hunting knife. He carried the stuff up to the counter.

The man behind the counter was old, pudgy, and smelled. He had round glasses shoved onto his large nose. His hair was thinning and he had old clothes on. When Jessie put the items onto the counter the man stared at his items. They were an odd mixture.

“What do you need bandages and rubbing alcohol for?” the man asked.

“I cut my leg cutting my corn. Darn thing, I'm hoping I don't get infection. I cut a deep gash in the side of my leg. I'm such a darn fool,” Jessie laughed insulting himself. He spoke with a farmer accent. He didn't quite look like a farmer with his hat, but the man let it by him. The man priced his items and took his cash.

“Hope you get better, have a nice day,” the man called as Jessie walked out the door. He put the items into the saddle bags. He got back on his horse and rode back to the cabin. He was happy and lucky no one asked him any questions. He couldn't help but laugh about the farmer he pretended to be. It was harvest season, it made perfect sense. Jessie rode up to the house. He didn't sweep away the tracks because it would have looked like a man went to the grocery store and came home. He even tied up his horse in front of the house in case some one fallowed. Jessie opened the door and saw a frying pan coming straight at his face. He ducked and dropped most of the stuff he had had in his hands.

“What are you doing?” Jessie asked angry.

“Sorry, I didn't see who it was,” Billy apologized.

“A frying pan?” Jessie asked accusingly.

“It was the first thing I grabbed, my gun is in the back room,” Billy explained. Jessie laughed. Billy helped him pick up the stuff and put it on the table.

“Got you some bandages and rubbing alcohol,” Jessie taunted.

“No! You are not coming near me with any alcohol of any sort!” Billy protested.

“Do you want to die or not?” Jessie asked. Billy rolled his eyes.

“By the way, I got you some whiskey for the pain,” Jessie told him.

“I guess that'll do,” Billy smirked. Jessie put the stuff in together on the table. They were making a pile of things they will need for the journey. “Where exactly is your cousin's house?” asked Jessie.

“He lives in South Dakota with his wife and daughter,” Jessie explained, “You know it's going to be cold up there.” Billy smiled to himself. No one knew, but before he became Billy the Kid, he was William Mcarty and he lived in New York. He knew what a cold hard winter was.

“I'll survive,” he mumbled.

“Could you go get some dinner?” Jessie asked.

“Sure,” Billy told him. Billy walked to the back room, grabbed his gun, walked out the front door, and walked out into the desert. It wasn't long before he saw a rabbit hopping along. He quickly aimed a little in front of it and pulled the trigger. The rabbit took a couple more hops and fell over. Billy smiled. He still had it. He walked over to the rabbit and picked it up by it's ears. He smiled. He had shot it right in the eye. He was still good. He carried it back to the cabin. When he got there and showed Jessie the rabbit he smiled.

“Help me skin it,” Jessie told him. Jessie and Billy skinned the rabbit, cut off the meat, and cooked it. They both ate the entire rabbit. They needed to eat a little extra, so they had energy for their trip. After dinner both boys gathered up the rest of their belongings and went to sleep.

The next morning they woke up early. Jessie led his horse away from the cabin and hopped on after packing the saddle. Billy walked right behind him fallowing his exact steps. The less prints the better. Jessie's horse had all the supplies on it. Billy walked behind Jessie and his horse a little ways before he called his horse. Billy's horse came running up to him. Billy hopped on and they road north.

It was a long hard travel north. They had their run ins with the Natives. They weren't too happy about two English men riding through their land. When Jessie gave them some of the jewelry and watches, the Natives liked them. The Natives wanted nothing to do with their money, so the shiny gold items were a good trade. They promised safe travel anytime. Billy was quite amazed with the Native's ways. Billy had only seen Natives from the north east and the southern desert. He had never seen Plain Natives. Their travel was safe from the Natives, but cold. At night it would get really cold. During the day it was hot with the sun beating down on them. Billy kept his hat on to cover the bandage on his eye. He didn't want anyone asking questions. It took them two weeks to finally get to South Dakota. Billy was extremely happy to see the big rock mountains in South Dakota. Jessie was happy that their journey was almost over. Both could agree that they were sore from riding two weeks straight.

“How much farther is your cousin's place?” Billy asked.

“It's just a little ways up this trail,” Jessie told him. One thing Jessie couldn't get his mind off of was, they were known outlaws. Would his cousin really want him there. He loved him and all, but he had a kid and wife. He had responsibility and if he was seen helping two outlaws, he would be hanged. Maybe they could change their look, and change their names and no one would be suspicious. That would work. Billy could die his hair and change his clothes. He could die his hair too and change his clothes. He also needed a hair cut so why not. Jessie smiled knowing this would work.

“Is that it?” Billy asked. Jessie looked at the small cabin with a huge fence around the yard. They had horses too that were in the back pasture. There was a small log bard behind the house.

“Yep,” Jessie smiled. He couldn't wait to see his cousin. Billy was a little nervous like always. Would they let them live there? He did not want to go all the way back. Jessie and Billy rode up the little pathway to the front door. He stopped and got off with Billy fallowing. Jessie handed Billy his horse's reins and walked up to the front door and politely knocked. A young woman answered the door. She had sandy straw colored hair tucked up in a bun. She was wearing a dress with an apron on. She had a little girl in her arms resting on her hip. The little girl hand the same sandy colored hair in a straggly mess all about her head.

“Who are you?” the woman asked. Jessie had his hat low over his eyes, so she probably didn't recognize him, Billy thought hopefully.

“Why, that ain't no attitude to greet your cousin with,” Jessie laughed. The woman's eyes widened.

“Why, Jessie James is that you?” she asked excited. Jessie took off his hat and smiled.

“Why is sure is,” he laughed. He hugged the woman and picked up the baby off her hip. “Little miss Katherine you're getting so big.” The baby laughed. He handed the baby back to the woman. “Is Jep around?” he asked.

“No, he's at work. We got your telegraph. At first we had no idea who JJ was, but we figured you were him,” the woman explained.

“Great, so we do have a place to stay this winter?” Jessie asked.

“Why of coarse you do. Family is family,” the woman cheered. Billy stood shy between the two horses. He looked like a little boy standing there. “Who's the young boy?” the woman asked.

“This is my young friend Sam,” Jessie told her. Billy was confused. Was he talking about him? Why did he say his name was Sam? His name, for sure, was not Sam. Billy looked at the woman shyly. Jessie had a big smile on his face. Billy wondered, It must be nice having family. Billy looked and felt like a lost puppy. The woman smiled at him.

“Come in, come in,” she greeted. “You can take the horses to the barn and let them out into the pasture,” she told him.

“I'll help him,” Jessie told her. The woman walked into the house. Jessie walked back to Billy. Billy glowered at him. “What?” he asked innocently.

“My name is not Sam,” Billy grumbled.

“I know, but what do you think she would say if I told her you were Billy the Kid? We can't use our real names. People will know who we are. I will go by Jacob or Jake for short. We will also have to change our look. We can dye your hair and dye and cut mine,” Jessie explains. Billy looks horrified.

“Dye my hair?” Billy asked worried. Jessie nodded his head. “Not my hair,” Billy complained.

“Would you rather go to jail?” Jessie asked. Billy rolled his eyes.

“Fine,” he grumbled. Jessie smiled.

“We are safe with my cousins. They won't rat us out. I'll tell her who you really are tonight when my cousin is home. She can do our hair,” Jessie explains. Jessie and Billy lead their horses to the pasture. They take the saddles off the horses and let them out into the pasture. Jessie and Billy put their saddles in the barn. Jessie took all the stuff out of the saddle bags. He carried the stuff into the house. Billy trailed along. Jessie walked into the house through the back door. The woman showed Jessie and Billy their room. Jessie put their stuff in their room.

“My head hurts,” Billy complained. Jessie walked over to him. He actually did not know much about wounds and stuff like that. His cousin did though.

“Elizabeth, would you look at his head for me?” Jessie asked. Billy's eye widened. He was not comfortable with a woman he just met looking at his injuries.

“Sure, I didn't know he had a cut,” Elizabeth pointed out. Billy shamefully took off his hat and laid it on a chair. Elizabeth took one look at him and put her hands over her mouth and gasped. Billy was scared that his cut looked terrible. “He's... He's... He's not any Sam. He's Billy the K,” she screamed. Jessie ran over to her and covered her mouth. She screamed louder.

“Shhhh, I know. Don't tell anyone,” Jessie yelled at her. Her eyes were wide with fear. Her heart pounded. Were they here to kill her?

“You... what are you doing meddling in business with a boy like him?” she asked furious.

“Listen, I'm an outlaw too. So was Frank. Frank died, and I ran into him. We teamed up. We are not going to hurt you. We are here because you are my family and I needed a place to stay. Could you help us change our look. We need our hair dyed and my hair cut,” Jessie tells her. She stares at him with her eyes wide and her mouth open.

“Why?” she asks.

“Frank and I would steal money from the rich and give to the poor,” Jessie explains.

“And how did you get mixed up into this?” she asks Billy.

“My dad left when I was little, and my mom died last year,” Billy says sad. Jessie is shocked, he did not know that. Jessie didn't know why Billy was an outlaw, but he knew not to ask.

“I'm sorry. I will help you. Come into the kitchen I'll get my scissors and other supplies,” she says. Billy couldn't stop thinking of his mother. She died from Tuberculosis. It was a gross gruesome death. Billy and Jessie walked into the kitchen. Jessie pulled out a wooden chair. He told Billy to sit down. Billy sat down in the chair. What is she going to do to his hair, he thought. Elizabeth came back with a bottle of dye, scissors, and some towels. She put the towel around Billy's neck. She squeezed the dye into his hair. It ran down his head; it was a red orange color. It dripped onto the towel around his neck. It was very cold. She combed through his hair. She brushed the oily liquid into his hair for half an hour. Then she let him sit. She pulled out another chair and had Jessie sit down. She did the same to Jessie, but the oil she put into Jessie's hair was a white color. She brushed it into his hair and let it set too. After what felt like hours, She rinsed it out of Billy's hair. When she was done Billy no longer had sandy brown/ blond hair, he had red hair. It was a natural orange color. He looked like a natural red head. She rinsed out Jessie's hair a couple minutes later. His hair was blond. It looked natural too. Billy was handed a mirror. He looked wide eyed in the mirror. Was that really him? He had to give it to her, Elizabeth knew what she was doing. Billy took the towel off his shoulders. He handed it to Elizabeth. She laid it in the sink. Billy glanced at Jessie and laughed. He looked funny with blond hair. He had had black hair. Jessie was amazed too when he was handed the mirror. She took the mirror from him and got out the scissors. She started cutting his long hair. She cut off two inches at the least. He looked completely different.

“Come here,” Elizabeth told Billy. She took the red colored dye and dabbed a bunch of spots all over his cheeks. It looked like he had freckles. They looked natural. He was amazed the woman was a true genius. Jessie looked at himself again.

“You're a genius!” Jessie exclaimed. He couldn't believe how different they both looked. Billy laughed at Jessie.

“You look ridiculous!” Billy laughed.

“And you look hilarious!” Jessie told him. Both started laughing at each other.

“I have some clothes for you,” Elizabeth told them. Elizabeth picked up the stuff and disappeared into another room. She came back with two armfuls of clothes. She handed Billy some and Jessie some.

“If anyone asks, I am Jacob Miller and this is Sam Tull,” Jessie told her. She nodded her head.

“You are distant relatives from the west,” she added. Jessie nodded his head.

“Billy, I mean Sam, you can't wear your hat,” Jessie told Billy. Billy looked furious.

“I need to wear my hat!” he yelled.

“You can't, they will know,” Jessie told him. Billy rolled his eyes, but agreed. Billy took his clothes from Elizabeth and started changing.

“Excuse you!” Elizabeth snapped.

“What?” Billy asked confused.

“You are undressing in front of a woman!” Elizabeth yelled at him. She's furious.

“I'm sorry, I didn't know,” he said. He picked up his clothes and ran into another room. He changed into his clothes. He had a very loosely fitting shirt and pants. He had suspenders to hold the pants on. He had no shoes. He walked back into the room to find Jessie fully clothed in nice work day clothes and shoes. Billy narrowed his eyes. “Is this a joke?” Billy asked.

“You wouldn't own nice clothes being a farm boy,” Elizabeth explained.

“I hate you!” Billy yelled. He was angry that he was the stupid farm boy and Jessie was the working man.

“Excuse your language!” she scolded him. He stormed out of the room. Katherine ran up to him and hugs him. Elizabeth took a step toward him.

“Wait,” Jessie whispered. They both watched. Billy didn't know what to do. He stared at her for a couple seconds, then he bended down and picked her up. He held her in his arms and smiled. “The boy needs more love and less hostility in his life,” Jessie told her.

“But, he's...” Elizabeth began.

“Look at him,” Jessie told her. Billy was smiling holding her in his arms. She reached up and grabbed his hair. He laughed. Katherine smiled and laughed. She hugged him. He hugged her back.

“She's never hugged anyone before,” Elizabeth told Jessie.

“Really?” Jessie asked.

“Yes,” Elizabeth gasped amazed. Katherine closed her eyes and fell asleep. They looked adorable together. Billy carried her back into the kitchen.

“I think she likes me,” he claimed. Jessie smiled.

“I think so too,” Jessie agreed. Billy carried her out onto the front porch and sat in a rocking chair. After twenty minutes they both fell asleep. Billy had his mouth wide open with Kathrine laying on his chest. Elizabeth and Jessie came outside. Jessie laughed.

“She really likes him,” Elizabeth admitted. Jessie nodded his head.

“Billy would be a great father,” Jessie admitted.

“He would,” Elizabeth agreed. Suddenly a horse with a rider came running up the pathway.

“Jep,” Jessie cheered. The man ran his horse up to the house. He stopped and jumped off. Jessie ran up to him.

“Jessie!” Jep cheered. He hugged his cousin. “I almost didn't recognize you with your hair like that,” Jep added.

“Thanks to your wife,” Jessie said bashfully.

“Why?” Jep asked. Elizabeth looked angry.

“He's an outlaw,” Elizabeth explained.

“What?” Jep asked.

“Me and Frank started robbing trains and banks and things like that,” Jessie explained.

“Is that Frank holding Katherine?” Jep asked.

“No, that's Billy the Kid,” Elizabeth added.

“What! Why is he holding Katherine? Liz why would you let him...” Jep freaked out. He started charging toward the front porch.

“She actually hugged him,” Elizabeth added.

“She what?” Jep asked surprised. Elizabeth nodded her head.

“Babies, have good judge of character,” Jessie told him.

“Really, well do you know how many men he's killed?” Jep asked.

“None, the wanted posters lie. He hasn't killed a soul. He doesn't have any family so I brought him up here with me,” Jessie explained.

“Then, where's Frank?” Jep asked.

“He died, he was shot,” Jessie frowned sad.

“Oh,” Jep whispers sad.

“Look at those two. Aren't they cute,” Elizabeth laughed to Jep. Jep looked at Billy and Kathrine. He smileed.

“He looks funny with red hair,” Jep laughed.

“I know,” Jessie laughed too.

“You don't look so good yourself,” Jep told Jessie.

“By the way, we will get arrested and hanged if anyone found out who we are, so call me Jacob and him Sam,” Jessie told him.

“Right,” Jep agreed. Jep, Elizabeth, and Jessie walked up onto the porch. They passed Billy and Kathrine and walked into the house. “Are you sure he's ok?” Jep asked.

“Yes, I swear on my life. Once you get to know him, you'll realize that he's a great person. He's nothing like the Billy the Kid you know,” Jessie assured him.

“What is for dinner?” Jep asked.

“We will have turkey to invite our guests,” Elizabeth informs.

“That sounds great!” Jessie agreed.

“Let me show you the barn and stuff,” Jep told Jessie. They walk out the front door to get Jep's horse that has been obediently waiting. Jep and Jessie walked around back to the barn. Billy woke up when the door closed. He carried Katherine back into the house. He took her to her room and laid her down of her bed. He walked back into the kitchen. He saw Elizabeth struggling to keep everything from burning.

“Let me help you,” Billy told her. She hesitated. She did not want him around any sharp objects without her eyes on him at all times. “It's ok, I won't hurt you,” Billy told her understanding her reluctant emotions. She nodded her head. Billy helped her cook the turkey and he completely cooked the rolls from scratch. When they're done, Jep and Jessie walked in just on time. Billy helped Elizabeth lay out the table.

“This looks great,” Jep says.

“Yeah, it looks delicious,” Jessie agrees. Billy, Elizabeth, Jep, and Jessie all sat down. They all took their food and began eating. Jep bit into his roll.

“These rolls are delicious,” Jep announced, “How on Earth did you make these?” Jep was asking Elizabeth.

“Actually, Bil, I mean Sam made them,” Elizabeth told him.

“Really?” Jep asked amazed. Billy nodded his head. Jep was impressed with Billy's cooking skills. After dinner, Billy helped Elizabeth clean up. Billy washed the dishes while Elizabeth dried them. Afterwards they went to sleep.

When they woke up in the morning Billy looked out the window and saw snow. He thought of the fun times he had with his friends in New York. He remembered sledding down the streets and getting into trouble. Jessie woke up right after. He looked out the window.

“Whoa, that's snow? There's a lot and it came so quick!” Jessie exclaimed. Billy laughed.

“You've never seen snow?” he asked.

“No, where have you seen snow. I thought you lived in Arizona,” Jessie asked.

“Actually, I did live in Arizona, but only for a month. I was born and raised in New York. I grew up with snow,” Billy blurted. Jessie was shocked.

“So, you're a Yankee,” Jessie joked. Billy smiled.

“Yes, I am and I'm proud. I'm not a dumb red neck like you,” Billy laughed.

“What do you do when there's a lot of snow?” Jessie asked.

“You go sledding,” Billy claimed.

“What is sledding?” Jessie asked. Billy laughed to himself. He went to the closet, found an old pair of boots, a coat, and an extra pair of pants. He put them on. He handed extra clothes to Jessie. Jessie put them on. “I can't move,” Jessie complained.

“Yes, that will keep you warm though,” Billy told him. Jessie was really confused. Billy walked into the kitchen to find Jep and Elizabeth talking.

“Hello,” Elizabeth was shocked and surprised.

“Do you have a sled?” Billy asked. Elizabeth and Jep looked at each other.

“No,” Jep told him. They were wondering how Billy knew what a sled was.

“Do you have extra wood lying around?” Billy asked.

“I do in the barn, help yourself,” Jep told him. Billy smiled and ran out the back door.

“How does he know what a sled is?” Elizabeth asked just as confused as everyone else.

“Well, apparently he was born in New York,” Jessie told her. She raised her eye brows. Jessie ran out the back fallowing Billy. Billy walked into the barn, found a long, wide, thin board.

“This is perfect!” Billy exclaimed. He ran down the hidden path onto the hidden dirt road. It was a steep down hill going south. It was perfect. “Keep up!” Billy yelled at Jessie.

“We are going to go down that?” Jessie asked frightened.

“Yeah,” Billy told him. Billy put the wooden board on the snow. It had gotten so cold the snow had almost frozen over. It was perfect sledding snow. Billy sat on the front part of the sled. He put his hands down into the snow to hold the sled. “Get on!” Billy told Jessie.

“Heck no!” Jessie yelled back.

“Get on you yellow bellied pansy,” Billy insulted. Jessie narrowed his eyes and sat on the death board. Billy raised his hands out of the snow. The sled started going. It picked up more and more speed as they went. The hill was a long straight path. The sled was going extremely fast for Jessie's liking. Billy was having a blast while Jessie was scared out of his skin. Jessie screamed the whole way down.

When they got to the bottom of the hill, the sled slowly slid to a halt. Jessie did not move. He was shaking, either from cold or fear. Billy laughed and helped Jessie to his feet.

“You will rob a train and kill people fearless, but you are shaking from sledding?” Billy whispered.

“Shhhut up!” Jessie yelled at him, “It's cold!” Billy laughed. He picked up the board and started walking back up the hill. “That's all?” Jessie asked.

“Yes, you do this again and again and again,” Billy told him.

“That sounds boring,” Jessie claimed.

“Yes, I guess it is,” Billy admitted. “It's more fun when there are more people. You can have a snowball fight,” Billy explained.

“A snowball fight, that sounds fun,” Jessie agreed. Billy nodded his head.

“What did you do in the dessert as a kid for fun?” Billy asked.

“My brother and I would run around chasing snakes and scorpions,” Jessie explained.

“We would do things like that during the summer,” Billy told him. Once they got to the top of the hill they say Jep, Elizabeth, and Katherine.

“We thought we'd join you,” Elizabeth laughed. Billy smiled and ran over to Katherine.

“Would you like to go on a sled ride?” Billy asked. Before the parents could protest, Katherine hopped onto the sled and Billy pulled her around the yard. Jep, Elizabeth, and Jessie thought he meant down the hill. Billy meant around the yard. Jep rolled his eyes and sighed with relief.

“That boy scares ya,” Jep announced. Billy ran with Katherine on the sled behind him. She giggled and laughed and screamed, faster! Jessie smiled.

“How do you get used to this coldness?” Jessie asked Jep.

“You get used to it by December, this year the snow should be gone by April,” Jep told him.

“April?” Jessie asked bummed. Jep nodded his head.

“Then harvest starts,” Jep mumbled not paying attention to Jessie, only watching Katherine having a fun time.

“You know, I wouldn't mind if you boys stayed here, or came back after you give up your silly crime life,” Elizabeth told Jessie. Jessie smiled. He didn't realize how much he enjoyed being here. It was nice being with a family. He could tell Billy enjoyed it too. He wondered if he should give up thieving and just stay here, but how long would people not recognize them. He wouldn't be able to go out into public much. What would happen to Elizabeth and Jep when authorities did find out. Billy would probably be the first one to be spotted. Billy looked completely different, but he still had the same build. Jessie also doubted that he would want to be a red head for the wrest of his life. Jessie was hit in the back with something cold and wet. Jessie shivered.

“Why so serious, my friend?” Billy joked. He was cowering behind a wall of snow. Jessie wondered what he had been hit with.

“What did you throw at me?” Jessie asked playful. Billy threw another snowball at Jessie. It hit him in the chest. Jessie was startled.

“It's a snow ball Je... I mean Jacob,” Jep laughed.

“What?” Jessie laughed. Jep picked up a pile of snow and molded it into a cannon ball shaped object with the warmth of his hands. He handed it to Jessie. Jessie stared at it. “This stuff is amazing!” Jessie exclaimed. Jep, Elizabeth, and Billy laughed. Billy stood up from behind his wall. Jessie threw the snowball as hard as he could at Billy. It hit Billy in the chest. Billy stopped shocked and put his hand over his chest. He sank to his knees.

“I've been hit! I've been hit! Help me Katherine! Man down!” Billy carried on. He fell back into the snow on his back with abrupt laughter. Jessie, Elizabeth, and Jep all laughed. When Billy laid on the ground he made two snowballs. No one saw him make them or even throw them at Jep and Elizabeth. They were shocked. Jep bent down and grabbed another handful of snow. He made another snowball and threw it and Billy. Billy was hit in his left arm. He was surprised at what an arm Jep had. Billy had quiet an arm from throwing knives, which he was also very good at. Elizabeth even grabbed some snow at threw it at him.

“I may be a lady, but I also have an arm,” Elizabeth laughed. The adults and Billy all took turns pelting each other with balls of snow. Jessie grabbed and arm full and snuck up behind Billy. Jessie dumped the snow down Billy's collar of his jacket. The snow soaked his back and shirt and was very cold. Billy immediately dumped snow onto Jessie's head. Jessie tackled Billy into the snow. Both boys wrestled each other around in the snow soaking each other with the cold snow. Elizabeth picked up Katherine from behind the wall and held her on her hip. She laughed and smiled at the boys rolling in the snow. Jep stood next to her. “Oh how I wish I had two little boys like that. They keep you busy,” Elizabeth laughed.

“That they do,” Jep agreed.

“When you're done horsing around, come inside for some hot coco,” Elizabeth told them. Billy hadn't heard her and Jessie wondered what hot coco was. Elizabeth walked into the house with Jep trailing behind.

Not too long later both boys dragged in through the door. They were both panting, sweaty, and exhausted. Billy and Jessie took off their outer garments and sat down at the kitchen table. Billy's hair was sticking to his head from being wet. Jessie's was sticking straight up. Both of their faces were bright red. Their cheeks were ice cold, as were their hands.

“What's hot Coco?” Jessie asked.

“It's the best drink ever,” Billy stated, “It's milk warmed up with a little bit of chocolate in it.”

“That does sound good,” Jessie agreed.

“When my mama would make some, I would always try to steal the chocolate, and my friend would get so mad at me,” Billy laughed. Jessie laughed too thinking of Billy taking chocolate and getting it all over his face. Elizabeth poured the hot chocolate into two glasses and handed them to the boys. Billy held it in his hands for a little bit warming his hands.

“What are you doing?” Jessie asked.

“I'm warming up my hands,” Billy explained. Jessie did the same as Billy and was pleased with his frozen fingers warming up. After the hot chocolate cooled down Billy took a sip. He licked his lips. He let the smooth hot liquid flow down his throat and warmed his body. Jessie put his lips to his cup. He took a small weary sip. His eyes widened.

“That's the most amazing thing I've ever tasted!” he exclaimed.

“I knew you would like it. Who doesn't?” Billy laughed. Jessie and Billy finished their drinks. Jessie helped Elizabeth in the kitchen making lunch, while Billy helped Jep in the barn.

Billy fallowed Jep wearing a heavy coat. Billy tromped through the snow behind Jep. Jep walked to the barn. Jep went straight to the wheel barrel. He picked up the pitch fork. Billy grabbed the other pitch fork and fallowed Jep to the horse stalls.

“So, why did you become a killer?” Jep asked.

“I, I didn't know what to do with my life and I was mad. I didn't want to live on a farm and work my whole life. I ended up working on a farm when John killed the farmer and attacked me. He decided not to kill me and he showed me how to throw knives and be accurate with a pistol,” Billy explained.

“Most people deal with life and don't run away,” Jep told Billy. Jep wasn't trying to make him angry, but he wanted the boy to understand that you can't just run away from bad things and turn to stealing.

“I was only sixteen,” Billy grumbled. He was mad. Jep had no right to be telling him what to do. Billy could easily kill the man where he stands.

“That doesn't matter, you don't just run away. Do you like being around people?” Jep asked.

“Yes,” Billy admitted.

“Then boy, you're going to have to learn that life is hard. I love being with Jessie and Elizabeth and Katherine, but that comes with sacrifice. I have to work hard to pay for food to feed them. I have to allow you in my home. It is very hard for me to let a killer into my home around my baby,” Jep told him. Billy was confused. He hadn't killed anyone. Jessie had killed tens of people and he was the one Jep was worried about.

“I haven't killed anyone,” Billy told him.

“That's what Jessie said, but you are a very wanted boy. It's been said that you've killed lots of people,” Jep argues.

“I haven't!” Billy yells. He didn't understand why he was being accused. “Jessie has killed a lot of people and you don't accuse him,” Billy defends.

“I doubt that,” Jep remarks.

“Killing doesn't make a person evil sometimes it just happens. Jessie's not an evil person, but he has killed before,” Billy protests. Jep walks up in Billy's face. Jep was fed up with Billy's “lying”. He didn't want him around anyone in his family. He hated that Jessie liked him.

“It does, and that's why I don't want you anywhere near Katherine again!” Jep yelled at him.

“I won't hurt her! I like her!” Billy yelled back. Billy had a short temper and he easily got angry. He had been known to get very angry. Some people might say he's short fused. Jep yelled a cuss word and struck Billy hard in the head. Jep struck him in the side of the head with his fist. Billy had not expected it. Billy dropped like a stone on the dirt ground. Billy laid on the ground unconscious. Jep left him and cleaned the stalls. Jep got a bucket of water and dumped it on him. Jep wanted him to get sick and die. The world needed less criminals like him, he thought. He put the pitch forks and wheel barrel away. Then, he went to the wagon and rode into town. He left Billy on the ground. What he did not know was that Billy wasn't just unconscious, he had a concussion.

It was getting dark and Jessie and Elizabeth were starting to make dinner.

“Where is Billy? Jep went into town alone?” Jessie asked. Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders.

“I don't know, why don't you go look for him,” Elizabeth told him. Jessie went to the closet, grabbed his coat and walked outside. He went to the barn. He had a lit lantern in his hand.

“Billy!” he yelled. He didn't see anyone. Jessie continued walking through the barn. He looked in each room and each stall. He got to the one Billy was laying in. He ran over to Billy. “Billy? Are you ok?” he asked. He rolled Billy onto his back. There was a cut on his cheek, and his eye was swollen shut. Jessie picked him up and wrapped Billy's arm around his shoulder. Jessie carried Billy back into the house. Billy was shivering. He had been outside for hours laying on the cold ground. Jessie laid Billy down on a bed.

“Where was he?” Elizabeth asked worried.

“He was on the ground in the barn. He looks like he was beaten,” Jessie tells her. Elizabeth walks into the room with Jessie. Jessie feels Billy's cheek. “He is freezing,” Jessie stated. Elizabeth went into the kitchen and started making soup.

“I'll make him some soup to warm him up, come sit him by the fire,” Elizabeth told Jessie. Jessie carried Billy into the front room and laid him down next to the fire. He went back to the bedroom and got some blankets. He lifted Billy and laid one down beneath him. He laid the other one over him. Billy's shivering slowly stopped. By the time the soup was done he was done shivering. Elizabeth brought the bowl of soup and a spoon over to Billy.

“I can finish dinner,” Jessie told her. Jessie went into the kitchen. Elizabeth got a pillow and put it under his head. She fed him the soup with the spoon. He barely swallowed. Elizabeth looked at the cut on his cheek. She knew that someone had to have hit him, there was no other way he could have looked like this. Slowly he ate all the soup. His good eye started to open. He looked at Elizabeth.

“Where am I?” he asked.

“You're in the house, what happened?” Elizabeth questioned.

“Jep, Jep hit me,” Billy told her. He was confused and in a lot of pain. He started coughing very violently. Elizabeth sat him up. He coughed and coughed and coughed. Jessie even looked over from the kitchen. He ran into the room and kneeled next to Billy.

“Are you ok?” he asked. Billy nodded his head still coughing.

“I don't feel very good,” Billy moaned. He quickly got up and dashed outside. He leaned over and threw up all the soup he just ate. He puked until there was nothing left in his stomach. He sat down weak and unable to walk back into the house. Jessie ran outside and helped him back in. Billy had dark circles under his eye. He looked terrible. Jessie sat him down back next to the fire. Elizabeth put her hand to his forehead.

“You feel feverish,” she told him. She laid him back down. “Jessie, go get me a pail from the barn,” she instructed.

“Yes,” Jessie told her. He ran out to the barn and hunted for a pail. He came back with a silver pail with a silver handle. Billy was laying down next to the fire. Beads of sweat were on his face. Jessie walked in and handed Elizabeth the pail.

“Can you take him into the back bedroom?” she asked. Jessie nodded his head. He realized that Billy couldn't carry any weight, not even his own. Jessie picked Billy up and carried him to the back bedroom. He laid him down on the bed. Elizabeth brought the pail and a cold wet rag. She laid the rag on his forehead. Jessie and Elizabeth went out into the hallway.

“What happened?” Jessie asked.

“He said Jep hit him. I know that the illness is not from that. He must be sick from being outside for so long,” Elizabeth explained.

“His hair looked wet when I found him, I can't believe Jep did this,” Jessie told her.

“I know, I can't either, but he needs a doctor,” she told him.

“Yes, he does, but what will we tell the doctor? He's Billy the Kid,” Jessie asked.

“We will tell him his name is Sam, he is you, my cousin's, friend and you came from California. He's not used to the cold and he fell on ice and his his eye,” Elizabeth improvised. Jessie agreed.

“How soon can we get a doctor?” Jessie asked.

“As soon as someone can go into town,” Elizabeth told him.

“I can go now,” Jessie told her. Elizabeth looked really nervous. She was scared to be left alone with Billy. She trusted him, but not alone. She looked at him with bewilderment in her eyes. Jessie looked back at Billy. He was coughing up a fit in the bed. “He's to ill to even walk,” Jessie assured her. She was scared. Jessie could see it in her eyes.

“What if he is faking or pretending, he could kill me,” Elizabeth cried.

“He won't he's a good kid. He's better than I am. He hasn't killed anyone and... I have,” Jessie mumbled. Elizabeth was still nervous. She trusted Jessie even though he had killed people because she knew him before he was that way and he hadn't changed much since then.

“I don't know him that well,” she protested.

“You know him. That's the boy that was sledding and that cooked dinner and that Kathrine fell asleep on,” Jessie told her. She looked back at him. He looked deathly ill. She wouldn't be surprised if he died tonight. He needed a doctor and medicine. Jessie looked at her with pleading eyes.

“Fine, but I'm trusting you,” she told Jessie. He hugged her.

“Thank you, I will be back as soon as I can,” he told her. He raced down the hall and out the door. He grabbed his jacket on the way. He went straight to the barn. He grabbed the bridle for his horse, slipped it onto the horse's head, and jumped onto its back. He didn't even get the saddle. He threw his coat on and took off like thunder. He kicked his horse into its top speed. He wasn't very good at riding without a saddle, but he needed to be fast. Town was a ten minute ride away at top speed. He had been careful to grab his hat. It was actually Jep's old hat. It wasn't a cowboy hat, but it was a hat. He threw it onto his head. His horse grunted and raced down the dirt road that was covered in snow. He carefully watched the road to make sure he didn't get off the road and get lost. The horse's hooves thundered against the ground. Jessie's heart was racing. He couldn't stop thinking about Billy. They had become close friends. Billy was like a little brother to Jessie. He couldn't let him die. How long did he have left anyway, an hour, a night, a day? Jessie didn't want to chance anything. He rode the horse like he stole it, which he did long before they came north.

Jessie faintly saw a few lantern lights coming from the town. In the dark evening it was bright. He kicked his horse once more. The horse lurched forward. Jessie barreled into town. He stopped at a little store like place with Doctor written on a sign hanging in the front. He didn't even take time to tie up his horse. He stumbled onto the front porch and forcefully knocked on the wooden door. The lantern was still lit. Jessie hoped with all his heart that the doctor was still there. Jessie listened carefully. The door knob slowly turned and the door opened.

“Can I help you?” a short pudgy man asked. He had small spectacles on his nose and thinning dark hair.

“My...” Jessie began. He was panting and out of breath.

“We are closing up, you will have to come tomorrow,” the man told him. He began to shut the door, but Jessie put his foot in the door. He pushed it back open.

“No! Please, my best friend is horribly sick. He was outside for hours with wet hair from falling in a frozen lake. We got him out, but he puked and he was coughing horribly. Please I'm begging you. I'll pay you as much as you want, please!” Jessie begged the man. The man raised his eye brow.

“As much as I want?” he asked greedily.

“Yes, please hurry,” Jessie told him. The man smiled.

“You said he was coughing and puking and he was outside with wet clothes and hair?” the man asked.

“Yes,” Jessie told him out of breath. The man went back into the shop and came back with a hand bag. It was a leather deep handbag made to carry a lot of things. It was originally made to hold clothes, but now was used for medical equipment. The doctor had an idea of what Billy's illness was.

“How are we getting back? Where is your wagon?” the doctor asked looking around and only seeing a bareback horse.

“My horse,” Jessie told him. The doctor's eyes widened.

“No, I don't ride horses,” the doctor protested.

“You do now,” Jessie told him. He heaved the large man onto the back of his horse. Then he carefully hoped onto the back of his horse. He knew it would take longer to get back because his horse could not run as fast with the large man on its back. The man gripped Jessie with a death grip. He was terrified and Jessie had a hard time keeping his balance. He kicked his horse to a slow run. Jessie almost fell of several times. The man could not keep his balance. It took them about twenty minutes to get back to the house. Jessie rode up to the house. He jumped off his horse and tied it to the front porch. The man jumped down from the horse.

“I didn't know Elizabeth and Jep had a friend living here?” the doctor asked.

“I'm his cousin, fallow me,” Jessie told him The man fallowed the impatient Jessie into the house. When Jessie walked in, he was surprised with what he saw. Elizabeth was sitting in front of the door of the room Billy was in bawling her eyes out. The door was shut. Jep was no where to be seen, and Katherine was crying. A knot formed in Jessie's chest. He feared that Billy was dead. Jessie rushed over to her. He knelt down next to her. “What happened?” he asked trying to hold back his tears. He had really grown fond of Billy.

“Jep, tried to kill him. Jep got his shot gun and tried shooting him. I stopped Jep, but he hit me and ran out the door,” Elizabeth cried. Jessie looked at Elizabeth's swollen face. He helped her to her feet. He motioned for the doctor. Jessie opened the door and pointed toward the bed.

“He's in there,” Jessie told him. The doctor walked into the room. Billy was still coughing. Jessie wrapped his arms around Elizabeth. She hugged him and cried on his shoulder. Once she stopped crying she separated from Jessie and stood in the doorway. She ignored Katherine's crying. Jessie went into the bedroom where Katherine was. He walked into the room and picked up Katherine. He held her in his arms until she slowly fell asleep. He couldn't watch Billy being checked over by the doctor. Once Katherine fell back asleep, he went back into the back room. Elizabeth was standing there at the door. The doctor was checking Billy's heart rate.

“The doctor hasn't said a word,” Elizabeth told Jessie. Jessie stood looking over Elizabeth's shoulder. The doctor did a few other things and left Billy coughing on the bed.

“What is his name?” the doctor asked.

“Samuel Tull,” Jessie told him. The doctor wrote something down on paper. “Is he going to be ok?” Jessie asked nervous.

“Well he has Tuberculosis, that is active. He should not be in contact with anyone when he's coughing. You will need to make sure you don't inhale the air around him. Keep the door shut, and keep little children away. If you are an alcoholic stay away,” the doctor told Elizabeth and Jessie.

“What does that mean?” Elizabeth asked.

“I will give him a few medications that should help with pain and will help his immune system fight the infection. He will need lots of vitamin C. Keep him hydrated,” the doctor explained. Jessie was still lost. All he knew was that Tuberculosis has been known to kill people. He had heard about many people dying from Tuberculosis. Jessie hit the wall. He sighed.

“Thank you,” Elizabeth told him kindly. The doctor handed Elizabeth a few bottles of medication and some needles.

“Sterilize before use,” the doctor reminded her. Elizabeth handed Jessie the medications and walked the doctor out the door. She found the wagon and took the doctor back in the wagon. Jessie put the medications on the counter. He looked back into the room and saw Billy coughing. Jessie went and got a hanker chief and held it over his mouth. He walked into the room and shut the door behind him. Billy started choking. Jessie quickly tilted him on his side. Blood started dripping out of his mouth. Billy was still coughing. He spit blood all over. Jessie wanted to cry. It was hard watching his friend like this. It was really heart braking. Once Billy stopped coughing up blood, Jessie wiped the blood away from his mouth. Billy looked weak, exhausted, and terrible. His read hair stuck up everywhere and his face was pale. He looked at Jessie with sadness and pain in his eyes. Jessie swallowed hard.

“I promise, you will get better,” Jessie told him. Billy closed his eyes and rested his head on his pillow. Jessie walked back out of the room. He made sure he closed the door behind him. He pulled down the hanker chief. Elizabeth was standing in the kitchen. She wasn't cooking, she was just standing there. Jessie walked into the kitchen and stood across from her. Both didn't say a word to each other. They didn't even look at each other. Both of their heads hung low.

The front door flew open and Jep walked in. Jessie quickly stood on his feet and stared at Jep. Elizabeth stared at her husband. She was scared. She had no idea what he was going to do. Jep looked at them and fell over onto the ground. Jessie and Elizabeth rushed over to him. Jessie rolled him over and got a whiff of his breath. That explained everything. He had been drunk the whole time. He had no idea what he had done. Jessie carried his cousin to Elizabeth and his bedroom. Jessie laid him down on the bed and shut the door behind him.

“He was drunk,” Jessie sighed. Jessie didn't want to believe that his cousin was as cruel of a man as it seemed. Elizabeth was relieved.

“I don't understand what had come over him. Why did he have to kill him?” Elizabeth mumbled. Jessie ignored her and stared out the window. He realized his horse was still tied up in front. He grabbed a coat and threw it over his shoulders.

“I will be back later,” Jessie told Elizabeth. He walked out the door. He untied his horse and jumped onto its back. He kicked its sides, and the horse took off. It was a dark winter night with the clouds refusing to break. The dark grey- black sky hung over head. Jessie didn't care where he was going he just wanted to get away and clear his head. It had happened so quickly. Billy had a killer disease that had been known to killing people. Billy was clearly very weak, the illness had quickly effected him. It was unbelievable. How long would the illness last? Jessie had no idea. His heart was heavy.

Jessie rode his horse late into the night. He came back home long after Elizabeth was asleep. His room was now the sick room, he knew he couldn't sleep in there, so he would have to sleep somewhere else. Jessie put his horse into a stall and went back inside. He kept his coat and curled up by the fire. He laid next to the fire on the ground. Slowly he fell asleep.

Elizabeth and Jessie took turns giving Billy medicine and feeding him three times a day. Billy had to have four medications three times a day. Jessie and Elizabeth were careful not to inhale around Billy and to put a hanker chief around their mouth. Billy was terribly sick and did not look any better. Every day he seemed to get worse. Jessie was very tempted to go to the doctor. One day he did and the doctor only told him it would get worse before it got better. Jessie worried that Billy was going to die. Jessie sometimes couldn't fall asleep at night. He stayed up listening to Billy coughing.

Billy was in a lot of pain. He couldn't take deep breaths and his lungs hurt. His entire chest hurt from coughing so much. He coughed up blood frequently. He did not even have the strength to sit up. He just laid there feeling terrible and in a lot of pain.

Elizabeth made sure the wound on his head and cheek were healing, which slowly were. It was hard for his body to heal with being terribly ill. Sometimes Billy would stop breathing for a second and Elizabeth would worry, but Billy always continued breathing afterwards.

It was a hard cold winter that year. Elizabeth mainly took care of Katherine and the house while Jessie took care of Billy. Jep just lingered around and went into town often. Elizabeth had told him about drunks being more exposed to the illness. After two months, Billy started to show signs of improvement. He would cough less and the blood he spit up was a little thicker. He was also breathing deeper.

In January he was a lot better. He would sit up and talk and eat his soup by himself. He still had a cough, but it wasn't anywhere near the violent coughing he had before. The antibiotics helped with a lot of the pain. Elizabeth was careful with weaning him off of it. She knew the medications would soon be no longer needed and the pain medication would no longer be needed, but he would still have pain. Billy noticed, but did not say anything.

“How are you feeling?” Jessie asked. He no longer needed a hanker chief the doctor had checked on Billy and said that the illness was no longer contagious. Billy's vocal cords were swollen which made the illness no longer contagious.

“Fine, it's a little painful, but better,” Billy told Jessie very hoarse. It was hard to talk and hurt to talk, and swallow, and eat.

“Good, we might be able to go south in March,” Jessie told him. Billy nodded his head. He drank his soup. His red hair was starting to fade and looked more strawberry blond now. His blue eyes shined though.

“I would like to see warm weather and a little adventure,” Billy told Jessie. Billy liked it here, well loved it. He loved being around friends and family, but the truth was, this wasn't his family. Also he wanted to get outside and do something. He had been in bed for almost three months and he was sick of it. He wanted to feel the sun on his face and the wind in his hair. Jessie laughed.

“Me too,” Jessie told him. They both smiled. Billy missed seeing Katherine, but he did not want to risk getting her sick. The doctor said that in a couple weeks, if he was feeling alright, he could walk around and start doing things again. Billy needed to build his muscle back.

A couple weeks later, Billy was walking around and riding. He had a hard time riding for a long time because his lungs were really weak. He couldn't run, or ride bareback. Billy tried to help around the barn and house. He struggled, but he helped. He would throw hay into the stalls and clean or dust the house. Sometimes he would cook. He hated not being able to do all the things he could before, but he learned that he just simply couldn't do the things he could before.

It took months for him to be able do the things he could do before. Now he was riding and running and carrying heavy things again.

“Billy!” Jessie yelled. Billy had been riding his horse all day. He was happy to be healthy again. It was early April. The snow had been gone for a few weeks. Billy had worked hard at gaining his strength back. Billy rode his horse back to the house.

“Yeah?” Billy asked Jessie. Jessie was smiling standing on the front porch. His hair was mostly black again. Billy's was completely light brown again. Jessie smiled and laughed. Billy's high energy made him laugh. The boy had endless energy.

“It's time for dinner,” Jessie told him. Billy smiled. The best part of the day he thought. He jumped off his horse smiling. He tied his horse to the porch and walked into the house behind Jessie.

It was almost Easter. Billy and Jessie couldn't wait because Elizabeth and Jep were having the wrest of the family come for the week and stay. They hadn't had their normal Christmas party because of Billy's illness. Billy was looking forward to meeting Jessie's other family. He couldn't wait to meet them. He didn't care that he looked like himself. They would learn that he wasn't who the posters said he was. He was a good kid.

The dinner table was set with corn bread and ham. There was also some corn and green beans. Billy's stomach growled. He was starved. He sat down at the table like a gentle man. Elizabeth had been teaching him how to properly act in front of a woman. Billy had honestly forgot. It had been a long two years since he had lived with his mother. He hardly remembered anything at all. It was like a completely different life. Billy ate all the food on his plate and helped himself to second.

“You can surely tell you're feeling yourself,” Jep joked. There were no hard feelings between them. Jep had been drunk and had no idea of what he had done. Billy forgave him, just as Jep had forgiven him and allowed him into his home. Billy nodded with a mouth full of corn bread. Jessie laughed. Billy partly finished chewing and reached his hand for the bread. He forgot to grab his fork and reached out with his grubby hands. Elizabeth quickly smacked the back of his hand with a spoon. Billy reeled back his hand and rubbed the sore part. He looked at her innocently.

“You didn't wash your hands and are grabbing for the bread?” she asks angrily. Billy looked scared. Without another word he raced to the sink and scrubbed his hands. Jessie and Jep smiled looking at each other, laughing that neither of them had been caught.

After dinner Billy helped Elizabeth clean up dishes. Billy scrubbed the dishes and handed them to Elizabeth. Elizabeth dried them and put them away.

Later that evening Billy and Jessie went outside and practiced shooting their guns with Jep. Jep had no chance with the ex outlaws. They were very skilled. Billy still beat Jessie at their shooting games. Billy sometimes would throw butter knives. He still practiced to keep himself good. He also practiced riding his horse by hanging from the sides like a Native. Jep was impressed with the boy's skills. He couldn't believe the things they could do. He didn't believe that they were the blood thirsty killers they had been. Jessie had come close to beating Billy, but as always Billy won. Jep came in a distant third place.

The next day was Easter. The family would be arriving from all over the west. Billy woke up early and was helping Elizabeth clean the house. Jessie and Jep were still sleeping. After the house was clean Billy let the horses out into the pasture.

“Thank you for your help,” Elizabeth thanked Billy.

“Your welcome, I just can't wait to meet family. I've never had a real family before,” Billy confessed. Elizabeth smiled feeling bad for the boy. She couldn't imagine not having a family. She had grown up with aunts and uncles and grandparents living around her.

“I'm sure once they get to know you they will like you,” Elizabeth told him.

“Actually, I was hoping you would die my hair again. I don't want them to judge me before the meet me,” Billy told her.

“Alright come here,” Elizabeth told him. She pulled out a chair and grabbed the die. It was the red. He didn't look half bad with red hair. She died his hair and cut it short to look nice. His hair stuck up all over the place, but it didn't look half bad. Elizabeth even put some freckles on his cheeks again. It was a good finishing touch. Elizabeth hid the dye so no one would find out. Billy liked his hair.

“Thanks,” he told her, “I'm going to go riding for a little bit. I'll be back later.”

“Be back before noon, they should be here by then,” she told him. He nodded his head and waltzed out the back door. He rode his horse bareback. He ran his horse down the road aways and up and down hills. He ran his horse as fast as it could go. He even hung from the side for a little. He had practiced this for years before he was able to do it. He saw a native do it once when he was little and wanted to do it ever since. It made him proud. He was happy as can be. He saw the sun rising high in the sky. It was almost noon. He kicked his horse and ran home.

When he got to the house he saw a small wagon riding down the rode. He quickly ran past it and rode up to the house. He saw a woman, a man, and Elizabeth talking of the front porch. They watch as Billy rode past. His horse's hooves thundering on the ground.

“How did he do that? He had no saddle?” the woman visitor asked, who was Jessie's sister.

“Who is he?” the man asked, who was Jessie's brother in law.

“He's a very good rider, he rides all the time, and he is Sam Tull, Jessie's best friend,” Elizabeth lied through her teeth like a lawyer. She did not like lying, but she like Billy. He was a good kid. She also liked how much he helped and what a gentle man he had become.

Billy put his horse back into the pasture and walked up to the front porch. He had dirt all over his hands and face. He even had some dirt in his teeth. He walked up to the porch and saw the woman and man talking to Elizabeth. Elizabeth was smiling until she saw Billy. He was dirty. He eyes widened and she stared at him.

“Howdy ma'am and sir,” Billy greeted politely. The man and woman stared at him horrified. Billy was nervous that they knew who he was. He swallowed.

“You're filthy,” the woman gasped. Billy looked at his hands.

“Sorry, a farm boy usually gets dirty easily. I was working in the barn and went for a ride, I apologize,” Billy told them charmingly with a smile on his face. Billy wiped his hand on his pants and shook the mans hand. “Sam Tull is the name, pleaser to meet you,” he greeted as if he'd done it a million times before. Elizabeth was nervous. Most of their family was proper and some what wealthy people, which Billy had never been around before. The man didn't know what to do. The woman was shocked. Elizabeth was worried. She didn't know what he was going to say.

“I'm Jim Harrison, pleasure to meet you,” the man smiled. He shook Billy's hand. Billy bowed and took the woman's hand and kissed her hand.

“A pleasure to meet you ma'am,” he told her as politely as he could.

“What a gentle man, it's a pleasure to meet you too,” she agreed with a smile on her face. Elizabeth smiled with relief and sighed.

“Why don't you go inside and wash up. Make sure Jessie and Jep are up and around,” Elizabeth told him. Billy nodded and went into the house.

“It's very nice of you to open your home to a homeless boy,” Jim told Elizabeth. Elizabeth wanted to protest, but it was the truth. He was an orphan with no home. She smiled.

“Yes, and he's such a good lad, and a treasure having around the farm,” Elizabeth agreed.

“He seems like a polite boy, I see you've taught him manners,” Mary, the woman, told Elizabeth. Elizabeth wanted to protest again, but it was the truth too. She taught him how behave in front of a woman.

Billy went inside and washed his face and hands. He went into the back bedroom and took some of Jessie's clothes. He looked less like a farm boy. Jessie was still asleep. Billy smiled and jumped on him.

“Good afternoon,” Billy told him. Jessie swung his fists and Billy dodged them. Jessie sat up.

“What time is it?” Jessie asked.

“Noon and people are starting to show up,” Billy told him. Jessie quickly got out of bed. He was excited to see his family, who he hadn't seen in years. Jessie quickly got dressed and looked at me.

“What are you wearing?” he asked. I smiled.

“Your clothes, because your sister thought I was a farm boy or a slave,” Billy mumbled. Jessie smiled and laughed to himself.

“That sounds like her,” he agreed.

“She looked disgusted as I shook her husband's hand,” Billy told him. Jessie laughed.

“What have you been doing all day?” Jessie asked.

“I was riding,” Billy told him. Jessie nodded his head.

“She thinks dirty people are slaves,” Jessie laughed. Billy and Jessie walked into the main room of the house.

“Where is Jep?” Billy asked.

“He's probably still sleeping,” Jessie told him. Billy and Jessie went into Jep's room. Jep was still asleep. Jessie woke him up.

“Get dressed, people are here,” Billy told him. Jep got out of bed and got dressed. Billy and Jessie left. They went to the front room. Elizabeth was on the porch talking to Jim, and Mary and Jessie's other cousins. Jessie smiled seeing them for the first time in a long time. He walked out onto the porch. His hair was black now and getting long. He also had a stubbly beard starting from him not shaving in a while. Billy fallowed him like a kid. Jessie's cousins froze as he stepped onto the porch. Jim tilted his head to the side and smiled.

“Jessie dear boy!” he exclaimed. He hugged Jessie. “It's been too long!” Jim's deep voice boomed. Jessie laughed.

“Indeed it has,” he agreed. He talked like a well educated man, hiding the fact that he was a robber. Billy was confused. He did not have much schooling as a boy, and did not talk educated like.

“It has been a very long time, you look great. You have grown into a handsome man,” Mary agreed. Mary hugged Jessie too. Billy felt bad that he had not so willingly been excepted. He just had to live with the fact that, he was an outcast, no matter what he did. Jessie's other cousins, two men and a child, hugged Jessie too. They pretended Billy wasn't there. Billy smiled, but his mind was not on this, his mind was on what was left of his family. Maybe he had a few cousins who lived in Pennsylvania he could visit, or for surely his great uncle still lived in Maine.

“Sam?” Jessie asked. Billy looked over at Jessie. He was introducing his friend.

“Um, yeah?” Billy asked.

“You are quite a remarkable lad, surviving Tuberculosis?” an older man patted Billy on the back. He had no idea who the man was, or where he had come from. He just smiled and agreed.

“It was hard,” Billy admitted. The old man had white hair and a long beard with round glasses fitting loosely on his nose. He was missing a tooth.

“You are blessed child,” an elderly woman told him. She looked like the man, old, white hair, and short. Billy smiled.

“He's quiet a hard worker,” Elizabeth told them.

“The lad is strong,” the old man agreed. Elizabeth smiled.

“Yes, he is,” she agreed.

“He looks like a great suitor for a woman. You said he cooked, didn't you?” the old woman asked. Billy looked a little uncomfortable being put on the spot.

“Yes, he does. He would be perfect for a woman,” Elizabeth agreed. Billy smiled bashfully.

“You don't look at all like a farm boy,” the old man pointed out. Billy felt good that they didn't think he was a farm boy.

“He did earlier, you should have seen him riding on a horse bareback running by. He had no shoes, a dirty white shirt, and ripped pants,” Mary tells him.

“Just because he was dressed that way means nothing. Look at this boys perfect teeth, he obviously is no farm boy,” the old man protests. It was true, Billy had nice teeth. He had had them fixed when he was little. Billy smiled confidently showing off his nice teeth.

“You look more like a farm boy than him,” the old woman laughed at Mary. She gasped deeply offended.

“How dare you!” Jim yelled at the woman. Both women started yelling insults at each other.

“Why don't you come inside for some lunch,” Elizabeth interrupted. Billy choked back a laugh. He couldn't believe they were calling each other farm boys and worse. He really couldn't believe what the woman had called the other woman. It was language, according to Elizabeth, no woman should ever hear, let alone say. Billy's mouth dropped. He couldn't help it. He was shocked. He started laughing. Jessie hit his own forehead with the palm of his hand. Elizabeth sighed and shook her head. They had worked so hard to make Billy a gentleman and now he was laughing rudely at the two women. The women looked at Billy. Billy froze and his smile faded. The women glared at him. Billy swallowed. The older woman tried to slap him, but he ducked. The younger woman, Mary, then tried to hit him. He ducked again and ran behind Jessie. Jessie tried not to laugh as hard as he could. The women were coming after him. Jessie stepped out of the way. The women tried clobbering Billy. Billy snuck under someone and hid behind another. He ran around the people.

“Why he's a fast little booger,” a woman announced.

“Please, come inside everyone,” Elizabeth told everyone trying to get everyone off the porch. Finally the people started walking into the house. The two women waited for Billy. Billy tried to sneak in with the others, but the younger woman grabbed him by the shirt collar. She pulled him back.

“Why did you laugh at us?” the younger woman asked.

“I... uh, you were using language no woman should ever use,” I told her. I was honest. The older woman hit him on the head. Billy ducked and ran to the other side of the porch. Mean while, Jessie, Jim, and the older man, Clark, were watching Billy get beaten.

“He should have never crossed Mary,” Jim announced. Clark laughed.

“Lucy will give him hell,” Clark laughed. Jessie laughed. Maybe he wouldn't laugh at a woman anymore. Jessie smiled.

“We should probably help him,” Jessie told the men.

“I don't dare stop Mary when she's angry,” Jim told him terrified. Jessie looked at Clark, he shook his head.

“You cowards need to man up,” Jessie told them. Both men glanced at each other. Jessie walked out onto the front porch. Billy was in the corner curled up into a ball with his arms shielding his face and neck. Both women were pounding on him. “Ladies, he's learned his lesson,” Jessie told them bravely. The ladies looked at him. Mary raised and eyebrow.

“You don't tell me what to do!” Mary snapped at him. She ran after him. Jessie ducked. He kicked his leg out and knocked Mary to the ground. She fell on her front. Lucy charged at him. He rolled to the side and she missed him. Jessie pushed her to the ground too. She fell on top of Mary. Jessie reached his hand out and helped Billy to his feet. Billy smiled.

“Nothing like men, they have no dignity,” Billy whispered to Jessie. Jessie smiled.

“They aren't polite women,” Jessie told him. Jessie and Billy walked inside with two complaining women behind them. Jessie smiled as he passed Clark and Jim.

“Let's eat!” Elizabeth announced. The entire family sat down and began eating. Billy had helped Elizabeth cook the night before. Jessie, Billy, Elizabeth, and Jep sat together at the end of the table. They said a short prayer and began eating.

“These rolls are magnificent!” one of Jessie's cousins applauded.

“Actually, B... Sam made them,” Elizabeth told him correcting herself. Jessie looked a little nervous.

“Really, the boy can cook?” the man asked.

“Yes, and a magnificent cook he is!” Jep told him. Everyone was amazed that a boy could cook.

“A boy who cooks?” a younger woman asked. She had to be seventeen at the most.

“Yes, and he cleans, and he does laundry,” Elizabeth told her. She smiled.

“What a good suter for a woman,” she whispered shyly. Billy had just heard her. He looked at her. She had sandy brown hair and bright blue eyes. She had freckles sprinkled across her face. She was very tiny and wasn't that tall. She was beautiful, Billy thought. He couldn't help but smile at her compliment. Jessie saw him smiling. He nudged Billy in the side. Billy looked at him and Jessie smiled.

“What?” Billy whispered.

“You like her?” Jessie asked.

“No,” Billy shook his head, but his face was turning bright red. Elizabeth saw his face turning red and smiled. She looked at Jessie. Jessie nodded his head. Elizabeth smiled.

“Rebecca, would you mind helping B, I mean Sam clean up the table afterwards,” Elizabeth asked the girl.

“Sure,” she told her. She smiled and brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

After lunch/ dinner, Billy and Rebecca cleaned the table.

“So, you're a boy who cleans, cooks, and does laundry?” Rebecca asked. Billy shrugged his shoulders.

“Elizabeth has done more than you can imagine for me,” Billy told her. She nodded her head.

“You had Tuberculosis?” she asked.

“Yeah, over the winter,” Billy told her. She nodded her head. “Your name is Rebecca?” he asked.

“Yes, but you can call me Becky, please,” she told him. “I know, girls aren't supposed to be called by nicknames, or speak out, but I hate that rule,” she added.

“I don't think girls should have those limits. Women are just like men, they shouldn't be treated differently,” Billy mumbled more to himself. Becky stared at him. She smiled. He looked at her staring at him. “What?” he asked.

“I never thought a man would think that. I thought all men thought they were better than women,” she sighed.

“Well, I'm not exactly a man, I'm turning seventeen in three days. Also women are not better or worse than men,” Billy told her.

“I'm turned sixteen in June,” she told him. They were done cleaning up the table. It was almost sunset.

“Well,” Billy mumbled.

“I should probably find my mother,” she groaned.

“Would you want to ride a horse?” Billy asked. Right after he had said it, he knew how stupid a question that was.

“Yeah, sure. I don't get to ride horses, we usually just take the wagon,” she told him. He smiled and lead her to the barn. He got his horse. He just put the bridle on and jumped on.

“No saddle?” she asked nervous.

“No,” he told her. He pulled her up onto the horse's back. “Have you ever ran on a horse?” he asked.

“No,” she told him scared. He kicked the horse and it took off. She wrapped her arms around him tightly. The horse was running at full speed. She didn't care how unladylike like it was to hang on to a man like this. She was scared. The horse ran smoothly down the road. Billy took the horse to a field with small hills and a few trees. Becky slowly looked up. The sun was setting in the horizon. Yellow, orange, and pink stained the sky. She had never seen anything more beautiful. Billy led his horse along a hill with the sun setting. He smiled and looked back at her. He stopped the horse.

“It's beautiful,” Becky gasped. Billy smiled and looked back at her. She was beautiful. The sun was reflecting off her golden hair. Her eyes sparkled. Billy's breath was taken away.

“Beautiful,” he agreed. She notice him staring at her and blushed.

“Thank you, for taking me here,” she told him. He smiled and shrugged his shoulders.

“It's nothing,” he told her honestly. She stared at the beautiful sight. She kept her arms firmly wrapped around him, still conscious of being on a horse. She rested her head on his back. She smiled. He smiled too. They both looked at the sun. Billy turned the horse and started riding back.

“You're not a bad guy,” she told him. He needed to tell her something. He had forgotten that no one knew who he really was, and he really liked her. She deserved to know. He was just about to tell her when she spoke up.

“Can I ask you something?” she asked. Billy nodded his head. “Jessie is from Missouri, like most of our family, but you have an accent that isn't from Missouri. So where are you from, and how did you meet Jessie?” she asked. Billy's chest tightened.

“Honestly?” he asked.

“Yes,” she told him.

“If I tell you, you won't like me anymore. You would hate me, but it's not what you would think,” Billy told her.

“Well, you haven’t told me,” she told him.

“Promise you won't tell anyone?” Billy asked her.

“Sure,” she told him. She was starting to doubt who he was.

“I'm from New York, then I moved to Arizona and met Jessie. I met him in a bar in New Mexico. I'm not Sam Tull and Elizabeth, Jep, and Jessie know this. My real name is William Mcarty, but you know me better as Billy the Kid,” Billy explained nervously to her. She suddenly was really scared. She didn't want to be anywhere near this murderer.

“Get away from me!” she yelled at him. She jumped off the horse and started running. Billy jumped off too and started chasing after her.

“Wait! Let me explain!” Billy yelled after her. He chased her all the way back to the house. Becky ran inside. Everyone was sitting inside talking. Their chatter stopped and they all stared at her. Elizabeth and Jessie were suddenly nervous.

“Sam... He's... Billy the Kid!” Becky panted. Once everyone heard the name they were all frightened.

“How could you let that killer into your home?!” Clark declared. Everyone was yelling and insulting Elizabeth and Jep. Jessie stood up.

“Wait! Everyone stop and listen!” Jessie yelled. Everyone stopped yelling and stared at Jessie.

“He told me you knew the whole time!” Becky yelled at him. Everyone started talking and yelling again.

“Listen! Billy is not who you think he is. I have killed more people than he has. Have any of you heard of Jessie James?” Jessie asked.

“Yeah, he was last seen in New Mexico with his partner robbing a bank!” an older man yelled.

“Yes, my partner was Frank. That's why Frank isn't here. He was shot and killed. I ran into Billy and we teamed up. We both robbed a train,” Jessie started explaining. Billy ran into the house and stopped as everyone started glaring at him. His heart pounded in his chest. He froze.

“Kill him!” someone yelled. A man, one of Jep's uncles, raised a gun and pointed it at Billy. He pulled the trigger. The gun had been aimed at Billy's chest, but Becky had been standing in front of him. Billy ran and pushed her out of the way. He had been shot in the side. Billy fell to the ground. Everyone started screaming and running around franticly. Jessie rushed over to Billy. Billy was lying on the ground breathing shallowly.

“Billy, are you ok?” Jessie asked. He knew the answer, but he wanted to pretend he was ok. Billy's hand was over his side. It was covered in blood as well as his shirt. He was breathing very shallow. Jessie picked Billy up and carried him outside. Jessie whistled and Billy's horse ran up. Jessie threw Billy onto the horse and jumped behind him. Jessie kicked the horse. He had a hard time staying on because the horse's riding pattern was different that his horse's. Jessie rode the horse to the hospital in town. Jessie took Billy straight to the doctor.

The doctor was shocked that the surviving patient of tuberculosis had been shot. The doctor immediately started surgery. Jessie watched and helped the doctor. The doctor took the bullet out of Billy's side and sewed him up. Billy was weak from loosing a lot of blood.

Back at the house there was a pool of blood on the floor. Everyone was frantic. Jep took the gun from the man.

“Stop and listen!” Elizabeth yelled furious. “Billy had not killed a soul! Everyone has judged him for what posters say of him. He has not killed anyone. He can't kill anyone. He is too sweet. You all know him. Sam Tull is really Billy the Kid. He is the same person. He cleaned up after dinner, he cooked, he cleaned, and he loves Katherine. He is not a murderer or a killer. He has only robbed a few places that is all. He is a sweet kid as you all know him. Right now he had just saved Becky's life, and you all want to kill him!” Elizabeth yelled at everyone.

“I guess your right,” Jim agreed. Suddenly everyone started agreeing and felt very guilty for falsely accusing him. Becky felt the worst. She had sat up and got to her feet. She looked at Elizabeth and remembered what she had said at dinner. “He was a perfect suter for a woman.” He still was.

“I feel terrible,” Becky told Elizabeth. She started to cry. She had treated him like dirt for just a name, when he had been so polite and nice to her. He was respectful to her, unlike any man she had ever met. Elizabeth hugged her and told it was going to be all right.

Billy spent the next week in the doctor's place. The doctor made sure he was alright then sent him home. All the guests had left Elizabeth and Jep's home except for Becky. She stayed and waited for Billy's return. Jessie had stayed with Billy the whole time. Once Billy got home Elizabeth made him a late birthday dinner. They celebrated and Becky had apologized for how she treated him. Billy went with her outside and kissed her. He actually kissed her. It was the best night of his life.

Billy the Kid, changed his name to just Billy Mcarty. He stopped dying his hair and stopped pretending to be Sam Tull. He bought the house across from the James's and made a nice farm. He married Becky in the summer and lived in the house with her. Jessie had even found a girl friend who had worked at the bar in town. Jessie lived with Billy in his house. Billy was even expecting a baby the next winter.

Billy left his thieving life and settled down. No one ever found out who he really was. No one really cared. The crimes had stopped and that's all the mattered. Jessie James and Billy the Kid lived happily for the wrest of their days.