My Spectacular Trip to the Heart of Americas History | Teen Ink

My Spectacular Trip to the Heart of Americas History

By TannerD BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas
TannerD BRONZE, Lewisville, Texas

In the summer of 2012 my family and I took a trip to Boston, Massachusetts. I was
really excited to go to Boston because I have never been to that part of the country. I
was also excited for my Dad because he loves history and he's always wanted to take
us there as a family. So on August 8th, after a long day of packing, my family picked me
up early from summer marching band practice and took me back home to finish our
packing. We then headed to the airport at around 10:30 P.M. for our one in the morning
flight. Why so early you may ask? Because it's the cheapest flight and it could get us to
Boston earlier so we could do more activities.

12:30 A.M.arrives and we board our flight. My two youngest siblings, Lance and
Ragan, were excited and nervous at the same time because it's their first time ever
to fly on a plane that they can remember. Ragan was a baby the last time she flew,
which funny enough, was to Boston, and Lance has never been on a plane. Soon
enough we felt the speed picking up on the plane as it was moving down the runway and
sure enough the plane lifts up in the air, and off to Boston we go.

In all honesty, the flight was rough. The reason why is because there was a screaming
baby on the flight the entire time while everyone on the plane was trying to sleep. After
enduring that much of annoyance we finally land in the great city of Boston. We then got
our luggage and got our rental car and headed straight to our hotel. When we got to our
hotel we were so tired we just crashed on the beds and slept for a couple of hours.

After my family and I woke up, we went to downtown Boston for the Texas Rangers vs.
The Boston Redsox game. We took the subway trains to get there which was
packed with tons of excited Redsox and Rangers fans. The game was awesome
especially when the Rangers won that game!

On the second day, we toured around the Boston area. We went to Plymouth to see
where the pilgrims landed and where the Indians lived. We then went to Salem. Which
turned out to bevery interesting because we went to the witch museum and they
presented this spooky presentation with life size manicans showing what incidents were
going on during the time. They even had one where a person was being stoned to death
and one with a guy with a noose around his neck standing on the gallows about to be
hanged. As creepy as it was, it was still very informative and quite entertaining! After
that, we went to the state of Maine to go to Ogaunquit Beach.

I was scared about going to swim in the ocean because I possess a deadly fear of
sharks. We weren't too far away from where the movie "Jaws" was shot so that kind of
sparked my fear even more. When we got to the beach it was actually quiet cool outside
which caused the water to be cold. That's another reason it took me forever to get
in the water, sharks and cold water. I finally did get in and it was a blast! The
waves were big and because it was so windy the waves were nonstop for the couple
hours we were there! We then left the beach to head back to our hotel in Boston for the
night.

For the rest of the trip we basically just toured Boston a lot and got to see a lot of the
old battle sights from the American Revolutionary War. We also got to see where the
Boston massacre took place and where the Declaration of Independence was signed.
After touring Boston for a few days we went to The Boston Zoo. Which in all honesty,
wasn't all that great because of the fact that they didn't even have that many animals.
They were even lacking elephants and rhinos!

The next day we woke up early to head to a dock at downtown Boston to wait for a
passenger boat. Where was that boat taking us? It was taking us one hour away from
land out in the middle of the ocean to go whale watching! I love whales, so I was super
excited for this and nervous about getting a feeling of disappointment from not seeing
any whales. But when we got out there, we were in for a real treat! We saw 6 whales
and they kept following our boat. They did there tricks in the air and what not, and then
we saw a school of dolphins. There was 50 of them total. Then the whales kept following
us and I had to fight my way through a crowd of Japanese tourists to get a good picture
of one of the whales. After an hour or toe we headed back for Boston.

When we got back to Boston we then went to the Boston aquarium and we saw some
cool marine animals like sharks, seals, octopus, barracudas and what not. After that, to
end our trip, we went to six flags New England and we didn't get to ride that many rides
because of how long the lines were, I admit it was still a fun experince!

The following day we headed back to the airport to catch our flight back to Texas. To
our horror, the same baby that cried on the way to Boston on the plane was on the same
one, But she didn't cry on the way back, thank goodness. So the plane finally lands and
we get off to head back to our house. I was sad to return home for a little bit because I
loved Boston, and I loved the American spirit that resides there. I will never forget my
incredible trip to the heart of America's history, Boston, Massachusetts.