The Golden Night | Teen Ink

The Golden Night

July 8, 2010
By Samyukta BRONZE, Nagpur, Other
Samyukta BRONZE, Nagpur, Other
3 articles 4 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Imagination is the power you can't even imagine"

"Bring in ideas and treat them royally, for one of them might be the king."


GOLDEN TEMPLE, AMRITSAR


Enter into the vicinity of the golden temple and the instant sense of relaxation and calm will descend upon you. Even the sight of the golden dome from far away is a treat to the mind and soul. As one inches closer to the place, a huge imposing gate with a welcoming appearance stands before you. There are four such gates on all the sides to symbolize that anyone from anywhere is most welcome.

I reached this place at about seven in the evening when the lights were further adding to the splendour of the glittering gold.

Once inside, the view of the serene lake with the golden temple right in the middle is breathtaking. The lake is structurally contained and is surrounded by beautiful marble flooring. The source of the lake is an underground spring that feeds it. Pilgrims are always seen taking a dip into the holy water. This is symbolic of cleansing not the body but the soul. Beside the temple complex are gigantic dormitories and dining halls where pilgrims irrespective of gender, caste, race or religion are boarded and fed for free. The flooring and architecture is unique and shows the symbiosis of both Hindu and Muslim architecture.

All about the temple are booths where you can offer services of doing menial physical jobs such as swabbing the floor, cleaning the glass windows or cleaning utensils used to serve the holy water from the lake. This symbolises equality of every man before the almighty. No one is big or small, superior or inferior- all just the same.

Before you enter you are to get the Prasad of a sweet made from dalia to be offered to god inside. And now you are ready to stand in the long big queue to enter the temple.

The main temple stands marvellously like a floating houseboat all glided in gold from the first floor till the tip of the dome. Inside, amidst a full-fledged band of flutes, drums and stringed instruments are singers who sing devotional songs right from dawn to long after sunset. On a jewel studded platform is the Adi Grantha, the holy scripture of the Sikhs.

The shrine is three floored and is completely covered with intricate meenakari work from the inside. There are marble staircases leading you to the floors. The view of the sanctuary from one floor above and the serene lake from the window are an asset to behold in your hearts lifelong. There is an urge to just sit there forever and listen to tuneful songs that carry tranquillity all over.

The golden temple has seen invaders come and go, destroy it, but every time it has been built better. The golden temple stands for peacemaking and always will.