Boredom in Numbers | Teen Ink

Boredom in Numbers MAG

By Anonymous

   When planning a vacation, someare tempted to travel with a massive group, but your experience is greatlyenhanced when the time is spent in a more personal, individualizedway.

Travel companies and vacation tour groups attempt to provide theirclients - tourists - with a maximum amount of experience in as little time aspossible. This is a desired service in some circles, but, generally, a smaller,self-paced excursion is more beneficial. Attempting to see all of a place's"hot spots" in just a few hours is a toilsome and self-defeating task,but this is precisely what most tour groups try to do. Being herded from onelocation to another in large, cumbersome coaches and stopping just long enough tosnap a few pictures out the bus window does not provide the opportunity to trulyexperience sites of interest. With such a mob of vacationers attempting to see aplace simultaneously, it is hard to have an enjoyable experience.

Althoughsome may find solace in a large group, ideally, you should spend a vacation withfolks you actually care about. Total strangers are simply not the best of companyin this type of situation. A family in today's bustling society rarely gets tospend time together and so it seems truly a shame to waste precious quality timein an attempt to fill the trip with everything there is to see in the locale. Youshould be free to explore, experience, and enjoy a few select spots. Theselection of a worthy destination should be the sole responsibility of yourfamily, as opposed to some third-party travel company. With private, intimatecompany, you're free to be self-expressive and truly enjoy your time away fromhome.

Although certain folks may prefer to be driven through places ofinterest at breakneck speed in the company of strangers, anyone valuing theirprecious vacation experience should steer clear of commercial tour groups andmassive sightseeing excursions. For the enjoyment of all involved, anindividualistic trek is much preferred.






Hilton Head Island by Spencer M., Lombard, IL

California Dream by Catherine L., Holladay, UT

Kenya by Charity M., Stanton, IL

China Memories by Robin M., Cincinnati, OH



   


By Danielle W., Marblehead, MA


Send your work

Email a Friend

Send your work

More Travel
TopRightExtra.jpeg
Extra160.jpeg
Extra160bot.jpeg
Teen Ink - PO Box 30, Newton, MA 02461 - (617) 964-6800 - editor@teenink.com
Published by The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. - A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Copyright 2006 by Teen Ink, The 21st Century and The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Thispublication may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system ortransmitted in any form or by any means,
without the writtenpermission of the publisher: The Young Authors Foundation, Inc.