El Nevado | Teen Ink

El Nevado

October 20, 2023
By Anonymous

“El Nevado”

While in Toluca, Mexico, where the heat is non existent. Where the mornings are frosted like those from a winter in Wisconsin. But unlike Wisconsin something stands out like the moon on a starless sky. “El Nevado” coated in a cloak of white. Poking through the low clouds almost as if they were originating from the unique stratovolcano. “El Nevado” made every morning memorable. I would stop at the corner shop for my morning coffee, after stepping out of the store and taking the first sip while admiring the stratovolcano over like the first time I saw it. 


Some would say it's just a mountain with lava inside, But for us it is more than that it was our daily thing to look at it was our eighth wonder of the world. It was the beauty of everyday life. That simple stratovolcano made something as simple as a sunrise and sunset look precious and made us remember every snippet of them.


“El Nevado” is something so different and rare. Makes you feel like life isn't real, makes you feel so insignificant, makes you really stop stressing about insignificant things, Knowing that at the end of the day it doesn't matter. “El Nevado” is the beauty of everyday.


The author's comments:

We participated in RCLA and it is a story that brought a lot of joy to my mom to tell.