The Roman Colosseum | Teen Ink

The Roman Colosseum

By aubreyswiderski BRONZE, St. Charles, Illinois
aubreyswiderski BRONZE, St. Charles, Illinois

The Roman Colosseum Introduction
The Roman Colosseum is known mainly for its gladiator fights, but there's so much more history to uncover than many think. The amphitheater's popularity has skyrocketed today because of discoveries by researchers, in addition to a recent restoration program that changed the Colosseum from a roundabout to a preserved museum. This popularity, including recent movies, books, and TV shows, has changed how we perceive the Colosseum. Many are now interested in learning more about the monument construction history, stories and fun facts, and the Colosseum today.

Construction History

Emperor Vespasian, a self-made emperor, rose through the ranks and further the empire’s rise and started construction on the Colosseum in 72. A.D. It was a gift to the Roman people. He did this to help rebuild Roman society after the past four rulers who were destructive. Vespasian wanted to fix this and promote his reign and dynasty by restoring Rome, as well as rebuilding many of the homes and buildings burned during the final days of Viterllius’s reign (National Geographic Society; Cartwright). Unfortunately, neither Vespasian nor his son Titus lived to see the Colosseum fully built. Although Titus only reigned for three years his son Emperor Domitian, continued his work to finish the Colosseum we know today (Cartwright). 

Because of the time that the Colosseum was built in its style and architecture is its type called Ancient Roman Architectural style, the reasons for it being its category are because of their ancient long-lasting cities and cement. The full Construction time took eight years to complete because of its sheer size and complexity. The whole Colosseum was built by using huge stones shaped into different structures and putting iron rods and clamps to secure all of them together. The three levels of the Colosseum are built in different styles, the bottom being Doric style was where the wealthiest Romans would Sit. The second style/level was ionic style, and the 

third floor was made in Corinthian style made for the lowest class. All around the Colosseum, there are 80 gates in total but 3 of them were used for noble and council people, And one gate was specifically only used for the Emperor 

Colosseum Uses                           
One of the Colosseum’s main uses was to hold games and tournaments. In “Secrets of the Colosseum” by Tom Mueller, he describes one emperor, Gallienus, who had a sense of humor during one game.  A jeweler sold fake glass jewels to the emperor's daughter, so he placed the jeweler in the pits leading him to think he was going to have to fight a lion. When the gates opened, instead of a lion, a chicken walked out leaving the crowd and the emperor to burst out in laughter. The emperor spoke and told the audience he committed deception, so being deceived was a suitable punishment, and the jeweler was allowed to return home (Mueller). Emperors were sometimes generous during these games. They would throw deeds to apartments or keys in wooden balls into the crowds as prizes.  Many times fights would break out and cause envious mobs over these prizes (Mueller).

After many centuries, the Colosseum fell into ruin and started to grow hundreds of plant species. For example, ¨In the years that followed, the Colosseum became a popular destination for botanists due to the variety of plant life that had taken root among the ruins. As early as 1643, naturalists began compiling detailed catalogs of the flora, listing 337 different species ̈ (Mueller para 10). Because so many years had passed, and Roman culture started to shape itself more the Colosseum found new suitors interested in using its huge concrete walls as a fortress in the 13th century, its ever-winding circle that was used as a roundabout, and its many many rooms and stalls as a silk factory,

The Colosseum Today
 Current Tourism has caused the security in the Colosseum to skyrocket, But for good reasons have been neglected for centuries in the past and vandalized by teenagers and other irresponsible people. It needed a refurbishment which is exactly what it got only as recently as 2013-2016.

The Colosseum’s Museum is located on its second level. Where you can see the different excavations that took place over the years, how different emperors used the monument, and the 3D model reconstruction of the monument. You can also find artifacts from different eras and any significant events that took place in the monument's history.

The significance of the Colosseum's economic value today can be seen through the historical value of the monument.  According to Marco Vulpiani, head of the valuation, modeling, and economic advisory department of Deloitte Central Mediterranean after putting out an online survey 87%  percent of tourists/residents there believe that the Colosseum is the most important cultural attraction in Italy and 52 percent said it was the main reason they chose to visit Rome. Seventy percent of those surveyed said that everyone in the world should pay for the preservation of the landmark (Cascone, Sarah paragraph 9). “And It concluded the status of Italy as a protagonist in the world,” said Fabio Pompei (Cascone, Sarah paragraph 11)

Vespasian wanted to fix this and promote his reign and dynasty by restoring Rome. As well as rebuilding many of the homes and buildings burned during the final days of Viterllius’s reign, Born into a family of little distinction, Vespasian distinguished himself in the army, rising throughout the ranks and furthering the empire’s success. This recognition eventually got him on the throne, although Titus passed away before the Colosseum could be completed, his youngest son and now emperor, Domitian, continued its construction in the wake of losing both his father and brother. It was built on the remains of the corrupt Nero’s statue the ‘Colossus of Nero’, the Colosseum was instantaneously loved by the people of Rome.

Conclusion
In conclusion, I hope now you know much more about The roman Colosseum than you thought before about its history old and new, gladiator games, extravagant plays, emperors, construction history, its many different uses, and its connection to the social hierarchies at the time, its likelihood today, and the people and plants who have flourished around it. The Colosseum was reopened to the public as of recently in 2021, and now you can see the whole Colosseum for what it used to be!

I actually got to see the Colosseum and fully understand its architecture and past, so this article reminds me of what I learned and how different every country's history is.