Sturgeon Bay | Teen Ink

Sturgeon Bay

Sturgeon Bay 
 A 4 hour car ride in the middle seat later we arrived in Sturgeon Bay at my great aunt’s mansion. I never realized how big Lake Michigan is until I saw it for the first time. It was like the ocean where you couldn’t see past the horizon. I didn’t know there could be something this interesting or beautiful in Wisconsin. 
Opening the door to the house and seeing my little cousins running around screaming reminded me this would not be a very peaceful getaway, and I went to put my things away. Looking out at the lake I could see the boat and the jet skis and could not wait to go tubing later that day. Walking down to the dock reminded me of why I was never too fond of this place. There were massive spiders crawling up and down the railings and all over the dock and all over the ladders to get out of the lake.

Me and my cousins finally dragged my parents out of the house to set up the boat for tubing and I got my lifejacket on ready to go. Even just being out on the water for a few minutes it reminded me how much I like living in Wisconsin. It was nice and warm and there was a big open lake for us to go on. It made me realize that we have every season and are able to do so much all year round which some places aren’t able to have. My uncle would rev the jet ski up and we would take off on the tube. I think everyone has that one crazy uncle that never listens and always goes too far. He would go up to 60mph on the jetski which doesn’t seem fast but on the back of a tube it is. He would turn really hard and on this windy day the waves were choppy and when we hit one we went flying up in the air and landed and out came 3 of my teeth. No amount of apologies made that hurt any less.

Nothing would beat at night time when we would go to Renard’s cheese and get the best cheese curds you can buy. We would bring them back and have a campfire and cook them over the fire and have a great time. The fire pit right above the lakefront and beach was perfect as the full moon would shine in off of the lake making it bright as day. 
Every morning waking up to the freshers smell of coffee and heading down to the dock to fish was one of my favorite things to do here. Sitting on the dock with my feet in the water with no one else out was super peaceful. I’m not sure why they named it Sturgeon Bay because I had never seen a Sturgeon here. I don’t know what it was about this spot but there was an abundance of fish and I would be catching them all morning and having fun. A week up in Sturgeon Bay is what makes Wisconsin Special to me.