Rottnest Island Travel Artical | Teen Ink

Rottnest Island Travel Artical

November 24, 2022
By Benjamin_Nicolson BRONZE, Sippy Downs, Other
Benjamin_Nicolson BRONZE, Sippy Downs, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Rottnest Island, Realistic Experiences, Reachable Fun

Examine the peacefulness of Rottnest while embracing the most spectacular beaches with Ben Nicolson.

If you are looking for a place to truly relax look no further than just a 25 – minute ferry trip from Fremantle Port Western Australia.

My first experience with Rottnest Island was magical, from the moment I placed my feet on the white squeaky sand Rottnest Island was full of adventures, I went swimming, exploring and even had the chance to get up close and personal with a Quokka.

Rottnest is it a stunning place but it also has a good historical story. Rottnest Island is a protected nature reserve, the traditional owners are the Whadjuk Noongar people, the name Rottnest means place across the water where the spirits are. Today the island is known by its people as the resting place of the

spirits, this is because more than 3600 people were imprisoned here and 371 died and were buried in a mass grave. There are artifacts found at several sights to prove the existence of the Whadjuk Noongar people.

The island was able to become a recreational destination when all formal prison building were converted to holiday accommodation. If you’re wanting some history, you can always jump on the historic train and explore the tunnels and learn about the island’s military heritage.  You can also visit the museum located at Wadjemup Lighthouse. If the budget allows you can always do a half day scenic flight around the Island on either an aeroplane, seaplane or helicopter.

There are an abundant number of beaches and secluded bays all around the Island which are great to swim or snorkel in.  However, if you are lucky enough to know how to scuba dive you must book a trip to explore the marine life as well as deep crevasses, caverns and huge under water caves.

A very attractive feature of the island is that the main way to get around is by bike.  You can explore Rottnest Island in all its nature, wildlife and even get close to a Quokka.  This can be done at your own pace, and you can stop off at any of the beaches around the island or if doing it on your own is not for you, there are also tours around the island by bike or Segway.

At Rottnest Island there are accommodations that suite all budgets ranging from premium to campgrounds.  You can experience the new eco-tents or stay at the Samphire Hotel which overlooks Thompson Bay.  No matter where you stay this is a place where you can disconnect from the world and enjoy your freedom.

Begin your Rottnest journey with a fresh coffee and then end it with a tasty stomach filler after a day of swimming and cycling. Whether you are grabbing some picnic essentials from the general store or going past the bakery for some fresh wild flour bread or catching your own dinner, you can always enjoy it down by the beach watching the stunning sunset. There are a wide number of cafes, fast food outlets and restaurant to cater for all culinary delights.

The weather at Rottnest Island is warm and dry, the sky is always picture perfect, the breeze is lovely, and the water is always cool and refreshing.

Whether you are coming over for a day trip or staying a week we always want your experience to be safe and trouble free, so please follow these safety tips whilst on the island, keep to the trails, slip, slop, slap, and make sure you carry sufficient water.

Enjoy the wildlife, enjoy the beaches, enjoy the food but most of all enjoy yourself.


The author's comments:

This was a term 4 English assesment