Diversely Different | Teen Ink

Diversely Different

By tarasavania BRONZE, Sippy Downs, Other
tarasavania BRONZE, Sippy Downs, Other

Diversely Different. 

Tara Savania explores the different, historic, and cultural wonders of India’s capital.

If you’re looking for an international historic escape, you’re reading the right article because Delhi, in the north-west of India, has it all.

As an 8-year-old, going on an airplane especially overseas is a huge deal. The total time of the journey was 22 hours [with a stopover]. As soon as we stepped out of the airport it started pouring down rain. It was windy and cold. We were super tired from the journey. We needed our beds so after a day of rest the adventures began.

The first stop was the ‘India Gate’. The Gate stands as a memorial to 84,000 soldiers of the British Indian army who died between 1914 and 1921 in WWI in France.We visited some other historical sites such as Qutab Minar, Red fort and Jama Masjid. My personal favourite out of all the places we visited in Delhi was Akshardham.

Akshardham meaning the divine Abode of God, it is a Mandir (temple) located in New Delhi. Akshardham is hailed as an eternal place of devotion, purity, and peace. It is a Hindu house of worship just like a church or mosque. I remember Akshardham as traditional Hindu Indian architecture offering a home to God. It truly is sight worth seeing.

The diversity in India is definitely different. As stereotypical as it can be, no Indians don’t wear saris all the time, no they don’t eat curry every day and no they don’t all speak the same language. Now that times have changed, more western style clothing has been introduced to a wide range of the country. People can identify your class and wealth just by looking at the clothes you’re wearing. 39% of India’s population are vegetarian and the cuisine varies in different cities. So does the language. Even though people in India speak mostly Hindi, some are able to speak other languages such as Gujarati, Tamil, and English.

December and January are India’s winter months which is when we went. During these months the weather varies from cold and windy, rainy, and,  cold and sunny etc. We stayed in The Park, with stunning views overlooking Jantar Mantar, the historic 18th century assembly of stone built astronomical instruments. Me and my family stayed 5 nights in this luxurious building.

As a teenager in India, you may think there is not a lot to do. There are many options for entertainment; live shows and Plays performed by locals, the cinemas, and you may be lucky to encounter the fan base of some of India’s celebrities.  There are even theme parks such as adventure island. Madame Tussauds is a wax museum, with figures of famous stars from all over the world. Located in Noida, just outside of Delhi, Encounter the figures of some of India’s biggest stars and productions such as game shows etc.

Delhi is one of the biggest street shopping hubs in the whole country. There are a range of places to go. These street shops are a perfect shopping experience. From vibrant saris, jewellery and many more these shopping hubs are some of Delhi’s most popular “to do’s”, just don’t forget to keep your things close to yourself!

Delhi has so much to offer. From entertaining, rupee spending, historic and religious, Delhi is definitely worth it. So, if you’re looking for a completely diverse, different, cultural, and historic experience, book your tickets to Delhi now for your next trip. Delhi is truly Diversely Different.

This is a Term 4 assessment piece.