How to hit the perfect drive | Teen Ink

How to hit the perfect drive

February 12, 2024
By 4pauley BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
4pauley BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Hitting the perfect drive is a task all golfers try to achieve and many fail at. High school senior, Austin Crowley, has been golfing for three years and has mastered this task. 


So how does one hit the perfect drive? “Research and practice” are the key terms, Crowley expressed. The perfect drive won’t come overnight. It takes practice, practice, and even more practice. Golf is an immensely technical game and requires good mechanics. It takes the proper technique and understanding. “You need to have a strong base, straight front arm, and a proper follow,” Crowley stated. He also mentioned feeling a sense of looseness and calmness in your swing. Too much tension can result in improper mechanics. These are make or break factors in order to achieve the perfect drive. 


Complications may arise, however, when learning this skill. Crowley said that hitting the ball square is very important. This means to hit the ball in the center of the club face without the club face being open or closed. Failure to hit the ball on the face of the club at bare minimum will result in the golf turning into a lethal projectile. Austin experienced this once as he missed the ball and hit it off the side of the club, sending the ball straight at one of his friends, almost hitting him. So, make sure they hit the ball on the clubface.


Hitting the perfect drive comes down to one idea, the proper technique. This technique is made up of proper club face contact, strong base, straight front arm, and proper follow through. Once this technique is practiced and mastered, you will achieve the perfect drive down every fairway.


The author's comments:

I play golf and the concept of having the perfect swing has fascinated me which led me to writing this piece.