Perfect | Teen Ink

Perfect

By Cole Skinner BRONZE, Boise, Idaho
Cole Skinner BRONZE, Boise, Idaho

Showed up to the ball field excited and ready to play. I was playing on the Mountain View little league baseball team, I was eleven. It was the second game of the 2007-12u district baseball tournament. I said “coach who is pitching.” He said “you are.” This pumped me up even more. I was warming up and my arm felt fantastic. We were playing at the baseball complex in Eagle called Duck Alley.
The game was going great and I was on my game, the curve was working especially. There is nothing that excites me more than pitching when I am on my game , with a good defense behind me and there was a fantastic defense behind me. The dugout was ecstatic with excitement knowing that there could be a perfect game in the very game that they were playing in right that moment. To pitch a perfect game you cannot walk anyone there can be no hits and there has to be zero errors. There are only seventeen Major league baseball players who have pitched a perfect game.

The game was perfect through five innings just one more to go. Walked out to the mound to start the sixth inning hoping that I could keep this rare occasion going. Right away, I got the first strikeout and then the second one right after that. The third batter stepped up to the plate and I threw the first pitch to him. “BALL” the umpire called! I threw another pitch ball two. It eventually got to a 3-2 count with two outs. The game was on the line, the catcher showed his index finger he wanted a fastball I threw it and it hit the catcher’s mitt. The umpire called “STRIKE THREE!” The game was over I had thrown a perfect game. I had ten strikeouts and two fielding outs throughout the game. The umpires handed me a game ball that read Cole perfect game 0hits, 0base on balls, and 0errors.

This is one of the highlights of my life. I think this because I know from playing and watching baseball my whole life how rare this occurrence is. After that game, everyone in the whole tournament knew roughly, who I was. If they did not most of them knew me as the kid who threw a perfect game.

Curt T. said...
This is a great story Cole. The only thing that was better was being there and watching the game. You were AWSOME!!!