Final Play | Teen Ink

Final Play

June 6, 2022
By Anonymous

Snap! My hand flicks into the dirt and my arm becomes stiff and straight. Hut, the cadence rang out and filled my ears, HUT, I now knew the play, the runningback was running straight through the b-gap, HIKE! The final words before disaster. I launched my body forward, barrelling towards the poor guy in front of me. POP, is all you could hear as everyone engaged in blocks I immediately got off and started towards the running back. Running towards each other at full speed it was practically the new David and Goliath, one of the best running backs in our division coming towards a huge, and sturdy D-Lineman. Me. Very fast, I pull my body down towards the running backs feet, he stumbles over me then everyone piles on top. 

SNAP, CRACKLE, POP I hear as I immediately feel the harsh pain of a cleat piercing into my hand, as everyone cleared the pile, I finally got up from the bottom and walked back over towards the huddle. Nothing was said, I felt the blood slowly dripping down my fingers. As I get ready for the next play, I snap my fingers down into the dirt, my arm goes stiff and becomes straight. The cadence rang and filled my ears. Then boom, the play came again, the runningback this time was trying to bounce it outside, but I was determined, he wasn't getting past me. I pushed through the left guard and started dashing towards him, BOOM, I layed him out on the ground and the ball pops out, I notice and immediately try getting up, as I pushed my hand into the ground and tried to get upright I felt another sharp pain in my hand, another cleat had gone straight into my hand, my gut wrenched as I knew what had happened, I broke my finger and popped 2 knuckles out of place. I still chose to play the next down. SNAP! My hand flicks into the dirt and my arm becomes stiff and straight. 

The guard I was facing asked me “Are you ok?” 

“Yeah” I said as I played my last snap of that game.


The author's comments:

I chose this quick write because I remember it clear as day, it all happened to me so fast but I knew with this one there was a lot of easy things I could do to draw it out and make it better and even more truthful, and detailed, I tried to use the rule of thirds/ Alliteration with my sentences before each snap, I used dialogue at the end, and I used metaphors. I like this piece because it talks about a part of me I love, Football.