Golf | Teen Ink

Golf

By ericlee4992 BRONZE, Irvine, California
ericlee4992 BRONZE, Irvine, California

Golf is an independent club-and-ball sport, in which a players’ goal is to hit balls into each hole on a golf course while hitting the fewest number of strokes. The modern game of golf originated in 15th-century Scotland, but the game's ancient origins remain unclear.  

Each hole in the golf course has a designated par score. Par is the number of shots that is considered an even score. For example, a par-4 hole requires the golfer to hit four shots from the tee box to the hole to attain a par score. The par score for most of the 18-hole golf courses ranges from 70 to 72, and the majority of the holes are par-4s. The other holes are par-3 or par-5 holes. A player’s score is often expressed in terms of under, even or over par score. For example, if a player shoots a score of 67 on a par-72 course, then it is a 5 under-par. A person who shoots 82 is 10 over-par, and a person who shoots 72 on the course is even. The lower the score is, the better for its player, but it is extremely hard to shoot under-par or even. According to golfstorageguide.com, a good score range for an amateur is between 90 and 108 on a par-72 course.

The basic materials needed for golf are clubs, balls, a bag and shoes. Purchasing golf clubs is where any golfer should start their journey. Most beginners purchase a full set of new or used clubs. These sets include a driver, two or three woods, several irons, a pitching or sand wedge and putter. The reason why an individual needs many different types of clubs is because the ball might end up in various scenarios. For example, if the ball lands near the green or in the bunker, the golfer would then need a sand wedge; however, if the ball is far away from the hole, one would strategically hit a 3 wood or an iron. There are also a wide variety of balls, including those that are designed to increase driving distance or to improve accuracy. Most new golfers start by purchasing a few cheap boxes of golf balls, since one’s first time at a golf course is likely to result in the loss of many new balls. Golf shoes are not required on all courses, but they are beneficial to both new and experienced golfers. Purchasing a comfortable shoe is important, as they can prevent any injuries during a long round on the course.  

In conclusion, golf is a game in which players try to strike balls into holes while hitting the fewest number of strokes. There are par3s, 4s, and 5s, and one needs to hit that par score to be considered an even score on that hole. Examples of scores are 3 shots on par3s or 4 shots on par 4s. And when a player shoots lower than the par score, it is considered an under par score. When you shoot more than the par score, it is considered an over par score. While it is extremely hard to shoot even or under par, a good range of score for an amatuer is 18 to 36 over par. But before heading off to the grass, a beginner should start by purchasing the basic necessities including golf clubs, balls, a bag and shoes. 

Quite a lot of people don't know how game of golf works and I hope people will know better about golf after reading this.