Living a Double Life | Teen Ink

Living a Double Life

By SophieHenderson BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
SophieHenderson BRONZE, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

When I stepped out of that rusty contraption people call vans, I instantly felt at peace. All my thoughts washed away, revealing pure bliss. The air smelled like a mix of pine trees and fresh and squishy soil. The gravel crunched under my feet. The wind whispered softly, the trees answered with a slight sway. Instantly, I relaxed, my shoulders dropped, and I stood there, breathing in the smooth, familiar air. I surveyed my surroundings, looking for my trusty steed. There, in a cluster of stray leaves and plants, a perfect walking stick. Just what I needed for a good hike. I set out for the path. Alongside of me, rows of cars, all smiled cheerfully at me. As I passed the outhouse I gagged, It smelled worse than rotten eggs. For a brief moment, the floodgates opened, every thought imaginable was pushing and shoving to get in my head, to distract me. No, I couldn’t let that happen, I quickly shut them out. Go away, this is my time.

Finally, I saw the welcome sign, it’s tattered papers on their last limb, blowing in the wind. Up ahead I saw a familiar face, a blue marker nailed into a tree, my guide on this expedition. I trudged on, hopping from root to root, making a game with myself to pass the time. All around me was the warm scent of pine, a sign that I was in the right place.I was in control, and nothing could stop me from getting my peace. The dirt under my feet blew up clouds of dust, eager to leech onto my shoes. Before long, my charcoal colored shoes were the color of worn leather. Up ahead, I saw boulders the size of bears. I leaped from boulder to boulder, grabbing handholds and nearly missing the chasm between each rock. With a steep slope of of fallen trees, leaves, and rocks on each side of me, I jumped back onto the ground and dusted off my hands. I was back on the root infested trail again.

I clambered on for a while, but I noticed my backpack had loosened. Quickly I adjusted the strap, and gulped down some water. It was then when I saw the hill. A 10 yard hill with a very steep incline. Jutting out of the hill was roots of every variety. I grabbed hold of a bulky one and pulled myself up. As I reached the next root, I glanced around, waiting for some rabid animal to crash into me and bite me. Thankfully, no such thing happened. I pulled myself up to the top, and marched on.

I had been hiking for about an hour, when my scenery changed. In front of me was a hill that wasn’t steep enough for me to climb on all fours, but steep enough to wind me. When i reached the top, I was relieved at the sight in front of me. Sandstone rocks formed in the shape of rough looking steps. I gleefully climbed them, and as I reached the top, took a moment to look around me. Tufts of grass poked out of the rocks, trying to escape the clutches of the never ending basalt. I made it. I was at the top and was amazed all around me, the only thing I could see was trees. To my left was the always sparkling Lake Superior, splashing against the rocky shore, begging to climb up, and walk around the gorgeous beaches. I was never going to leave. I sat down and thought to myself about everything. I wanted to lay down and forget the world. Sadly, I could not. As I got up to leave, I looked around once more. In that moment, I realised that there are precious moments in life, and if you want to stay sane, you need to hold onto them, and never let them go. Whenever I’m in nature, it provides an escape from everything around me. The only way I stay sane is by taking time out of my day the be alone, and remember why my life is such a gift.

Living a double life is harder than you think. When people meet me, they often assume that I am a carefree and happy person. I have to say this isn’t true. I am a person of many identities. At home, I have a dramatic, teenage, and rebellious attitude. At school, I am loud, humorous, and obnoxious, and sometimes pleasant depending on my mood. But inside, I’m confused, jumbled, and real. My mind works at 100 miles an hour, never stopping. Most times I put up a shield, hiding what’s really inside of me. I’m never not thinking of 5 different things at once. My mind wanders listlessly. The only place I am truly at peace is the nature. It calms me and washes away every thought  trying to trouble me or confuse me. When I’m surrounded by trees, and the inviting scent of pine creeps into me, I can escape.