Five Thousand Christmas Lights | Teen Ink

Five Thousand Christmas Lights

By shawna22 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
shawna22 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

They are the only ones who light up the night. I am the only one who’s awake to appreciate them. Five thousand Christmas lights strung down the banister and around the tree. Five thousand who shine in colors of red, blue, green, and yellow. Five thousand warm memories from past holiday seasons. From my room, I can feel their glow, while the rest of the house sleeps in darkness.

Their warmth is contagious. They guide my childhood self down the stairs. They get older each year, but shine just as bright, surrounding me in a glow and elating my heart. This is how they shine.

Let one forget his reason for being, they’d all go dark, still bound to each other but disappearing in the night. Shine, shine, shine they say when I sleep. They comfort.

When I am too full of ham and of apple pie, when I am too tired to think straight, it is then that I look at the Christmas lights. When the rest of the house has gone to sleep and darkness creeps into every corner. Five thousand who glow with warmth and comfort. Five thousand who guide me. Five thousand whose only reason is to light the darkness.

Based off Four Skinny Trees by Sandra Cisneros